“Cheap, but Not Worth It”

Fairfield Inn & Suites Ashland
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Ashland
Cranberry Township, Pennsylvania
“Cheap, but Not Worth It”
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I stayed at this hotel prior to the upgrades and after one night each time. In neither case would I recommend this hotel to anyone that is looking for anything more than a bed. On average I stay in 60-70 hotels a year and this is on the bottom.
No amenities in room. Incredibly small lobby with incredibly small breakfast. don't even think about getting exercise in the workout room.
Just to put the final nail in the coffin: $1.75 for a candy bar in the vending machine...this is Ashland, KY...not New York City.

Room Tip: Stay at the Hampton Inn 2 miles down the road.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank Scott H
AshlandHI_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ashland, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. I apologize for your recent stay based on your comments. Our property is scheduled to under go a conversion renovation in January 2013 to a Fairfield Inn and Suites. At that time, we will be expanding our lobby area, upgrading our guestrooms, and adding an exercise room. You also mentioned the vending machine pricing; we don’t set this pricing as it comes from a vendor we've contracted. I will bring your concerns of pricing to there attention. When we undergo renovation, we will be adding a Market and will be doing away with outside vending contracting. We appreciate your business and hope you give us another opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Adam D. Hill

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Dover, DE
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Ok this FFI is off the interstate somewhat. I knew that. There is nothing around it. It doesn't have an exercise room. I used it for as an overnight stop over, nothing more. I can't really rate it excellent, but I can't really rate it low. It certainly met my needs. I had no complaints about the room or service. Everything was in order. But one thing, I just felt weird there. I can't explain it, but that's the way I felt.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank acscolo
Pinckneyville, Illinois
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Stayed here on our way home from vacation. This is a older Fairfield Inn and the noise from upstairs and down the hall was very noticeable thoughout the night. Other than that the staff was freindly and the room was very clean. The pool area was obviously well taken care of and clean. A good stay for one night.
We did not choose to take breakfast here as we wanted to get an early start on our way home.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Ogden, Utah
Reviewed October 16, 2012

I was traveling on business in southern Ohio, which was roughly an hour away from Ashland. The hour long drive everyday between Ashland and Portsmouth caused me and my business partners to re-locate hotels closer to Portsmouth. After moving we were told that we had packages delivered to the Fairfield Inn. I took an SUV down to the hotel to pick-up the packages. Once I got there I was surprised with how many there were. The general manager, Adam, had stored them in his private office, and it almost filled the entire space. I tried fitting them in my car but nearly half of the packages were unable to fit. I was planning on making two trips when he offered to take the other half all the way to Portsmouth. He proceeded to load his car and followed me. What incredible service! During my short stay the entire staff was extremely friendly and took great care of me and my team. I really appreciate the elevated service they all demonstrated. (Josh at the front-desk was also excellent in helping me at check-in)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SnowBunny83
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed October 14, 2012

I made reservations here because of Mariott's reputation and it's at a logical rest point during my travel. The hotel is off Exit 185 a couple miles to the right; easy to find. I pulled in around 11PM, had no problem with parking and the check-in was quick. The clerk let me know the pool was non-operational. There is no work out room on site either, which would have been nice after a long day on the road (the next morning I did see a guy jogging up and down the stairs to get in a workout). The hotel lobby was co-located with the coffee area and the small, but adequate breakfast area. There are three floors. I was on the third floor and took the stairs up, but there is an elevator.

The room was a double bed (two queen) room with clean, white sheets and plenty of pillows (five per bed!). Immediately entering, to the left is the bathroom, to the right is the closet. There is a 32 in flat screen tv along the wall in front of the two beds, and in the corner is a table that's about a 4X4 with two chairs. In the far corner by the wall with the window is a small Black & Decker white dorm-type refig (square-shaped). There is no microwave oven in the room; that was disappointing. The A/C is under the window with heat/cool and off buttons. You can set the fan to low/high/auto and set the temp.

The bathroom was clean and had two bars of soap, a small container of shampoo and conditioner. There were three towel sets; three bath towels, three hand towels and three wash cloths. A hair dryer was located by the wall with the light and fan switch. I noticed if I turned on the fan and light, the circuit breaker would pop off so I just had to reset it. There was a tub/shower with a big shower head; that was nice. The tub drain was slow to drain.

The bed was very comfortable and clean. The cable TV had plenty of choices. One thing a little disturbing was the smoke detector was taped up. I reported it to the clerk about five minutes after checking in and he wrote it down for the next day's crew. The room did NOT smell like smoke. It had more of a nice, fruity smell, but I didn't want to get stuck with a $250 cleaning bill so I made sure I reported the taped smoke detector immediately. I also couldn't find the ice machine. There is a vending machine on the second floor.

Breakfast the next morning included a variety of cereals in individual containers, waffle machine, a small glass refrig filled with yogurt (regular and lite), skim and 2% milk containers, mixed fruit containers, and some breakfast sandwiches wrapped up. Also there was a juice machine to dispense about four different drinks. There was fresh fruit (apples and bananas), coffee and hot water for tea. There were also hard boiled eggs, peeled and ready to eat cold or you could put them in the microwave in the breakfast area (not in your room).

If you arrive on a Saturday night, there are a couple churches available in the area the next day. There were also three cable stations that had religious programming. There is a mall right by the Fairfield Inn with a Sears and few other stores. A Burger King is right before the turn in to the hotel and right after the hotel is an Exxon. About a mile before arriving at the hotel I saw a Walmart; a good place to stock up on food, water and anything else before getting back on the road.

When I exited I64 heading towards the Fairfield Inn, almost immediately to the left is a McDonalds co-located with a fuel station. Past that is a Holiday Inn Express. I also passed up a Hampton Inn and a Days Inn. The Walmart is on the right before getting to the hotel.

At this time of year, the hotel is going for about $95 a night unless you have a membership like AAA or so to get a discount. This is average for the area and other hotels in the area. So would I stay here again? Not sure. The price included very good WIFI, breakfast and a clean, comfortable room.The staff was very friendly. I was disappointed that there was no work out room on location, the pool was inop, no microwave oven in the room and smoke detector taped up. Some of the items could be caught by a routine room inspection, such as the smoke detector, slow drain and circuit breaker tripping. Those were not deal-breakers for me, just not something I would expect from a Mariott chain and for the near $100 price...Motel 6 maybe, but not Mariott. There are other hotels in the area. I have a family trip coming up later next year. Prior to that I will be passing through Ashland again and haven't made up my mind whether or not to stay here again or try another hotel. The hotel prices in the area are all competitive so there are several to choose from.

Room Tip: The third floor is a nice location because you have no one above you. The odd number rooms are away...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
AshlandHI_GM, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Ashland, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay. We appreciate your kind words regarding our staff and property. My apologies for our pool and spa being closed during your visit; we’re in the process of upgrading our filtration system and should be reopening soon. I have addressed resolved and the issues with the Housekeeping staff, I do apologize you experienced this issue upon check-in. Our property is going to go through complete remodel next year at which point we will be adding a Fitness Center, refrigerators, and microwaves to all our guest rooms. We appreciate your business and hope you get the opportunity to visit us again in the near future.

Adam D. Hill
Fort Wayne, Indiana
Reviewed October 5, 2012 via mobile

I really can't give a detailed review because I was only there a few hours. I arrived about 1am and almost immediately went to sleep upon entering the room. I did sleep pretty sound. The rooms seemed clean but a bit out of date. That being said, they still charge premium price. It still seemed to be at capacity. I would probably stay there again if I were in that area.

• Stayed September 2012
Tampa
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I spent a Friday night here in Ashland on my way from North Carolina over to Missouri. The hotel was very nice and comfortable, and the beds were nice and clean. There are not a ton of things to eat around the hotel, but overall a nice place to stay. The room was affordable as well at about $60 per night, I would stay here again if I was out in Ashland.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Hampton Inn Ashland
Days Inn Ashland
#5 of 10 in Ashland
Holiday Inn Express & Suites Ironton
Ramada Limited Catlettsburg/Ashland

Been to Fairfield Inn & Suites Ashland? Share your experiences!