“If you like trains...”

Quality Inn Ashland
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Ashland
Reviewed August 20, 2011

We stayed there because my son likes trains and from that perspective you won't find a better motel in Ashland. But it's one thing to view trains at 7:00 PM, quite another to be jolted awake at 3:00 AM :(

The hotel makes you sign a disclaimer saying that you are aware of the train noise. The problem is that the motel is directly across from a crossing so you are less than 150 feet away from where the engineer blows the horn. We stayed toward the front where it was noisiest. Toward the rear, it may be quieter but it is doubtful that you would be able to stay anywhere in the building that would drown out the noise.

On the plus side, you do get a hot breakfast (of sausage and eggs) and the rooms appeared clean if somewhat dated. The neighborhood immediately behind the hotel is nice, with cool old houses. We had a nice stroll down several streets the evening we were there.

Room Tip: Bring earplugs!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed July 25, 2011

My family decided to stay here because it was a cheap price considered to other hotels in that area. The rooms need to be updated, and could use a paint job. The pool was broken so we couldn't swim. The bed was comforable, however we didn't sleep good. When checking in we had to sign a paper stating that we were aware of the fact that there was a train track across the road. I have lived beside tracks all my life so that was nothing new. However they don't tell you instead of going through like 2 times it goes through EVERY 30 minutes and it's not just a couple of short horns it lets off like 4 or 5 long horns. It was horrible we didn't get anysleep at all. The only good thing about the stay was the whirlepool tub it was very big and spacious, but a couple of the jets were broken.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed May 18, 2011

Just awful. The owner has either never heard of customer service or just doesn't care. The location is terrible as it about 50 yards from a busy train track. Here are a few of the "highlights" of my stay.
*thread bare towels
*burn holes in the bed spread
*train whistle blowing at all hours
*very rude and nosey owner
On top of everything else I was awakened every day by the cleaning staff even though I had informed them I would be working nights during my stay. The owner saw that I had tools and had the nerve to ask me to remove a part to some piece of equipment for her. I would have felt differently about the request had my overall experience been more pleasant. I was made to feel like they were doing me a favor by letting me stay in their hotel. I will be calling the Quality Inn corporate office to lodge a formal complaint. Take my advice and stay anywhere but here.

• Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed January 3, 2010

I checked in to this hotel late one night and while I was checking in someone upstairs started yelling and cursing. The language was so bad. It turned out that the Owner was cursing out his dad. The TRAIN was very bad. I could not sleep! I believe every train in America comes through Ashland! Every 5 minutes!!! Unless you are deaf you will not be able to get any sleep. Towels were worn, room was nasty. The breakfast was nasty and cold! The morning staff was rude as well! I got home and went over my credit card bill. They charged me an extra $15.00 as an extra transaction. I called and no one seemed to know why. They seemed to think it was because I had a pet or stole some towels. I did neither! They would not reverse the charges! My battle is not over!!!! Please what ever you do, DO NOT STAY WITH THESE CROOKS. It is loud!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed November 16, 2009

I've only left one other hotel this angry and upset. They gave us one price when we checked in and then tried to charge another saying the person at the desk wasn't authorized to give that price. What?? I fought with them and got the original price but it took quite a bit of arguing with the owner who was very rude and nasty. She tried to intimidate me by saying she'd fire the girl working there who gave me the price and when that didn't make me go away she said she'd take the difference out of the girls pay. Then she called her while I was there and yelled at her trying to get her to say she didn't give me that price. Lousy management. What a way to deal with customers. I told her I'd be sure to let everyone know how horrible they were and recommend that noone ever go there. I grew up in WV living next to train tracks. I can handle the train, but not the rudeness. I will not go there again even if I have to pay double somewhere else.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 31, 2009

This place has the worst service I have ever experienced in my life. Not to mention the hotel in itself is disgusting and what is the deal with the old dirty towels??? I'd have to say the train blaring all night long was the highlight of my stay...and I'm not kidding. I'm sorry, but anyone who has anything positive to say about this place grew up in a sewer because that's the only thing I can think of that might make this place seem decent. Come to think of it - I'd take the sewer over this hotel any day.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank GAUSTRAV
Reviewed December 19, 2008

This is by far the worst experience for me at a hotel. I was told about the train crossing when I showed up to check in and not when I made the reservation. The clerk informed me that she couldn't even hear it and when I asked how often the train crossed she said different times. She was just avoiding giving me a straight answer. I had no choice at this point because I was having surgery at a local hospital so I stayed.

When we got there are room was freezing so we adjusted the heat at left to go eat. When we came back it was even colder so the maid brought us a space heater,, which we found out 30 minutes later that it was defective. So they moved us to another room on the other side of the hotel (had to move the car also).

This train crossing is so close to this hotel it vibrated the bed everytime it went by not to mention it sounded as if it was going to come straight through the room! To give you an example of how often the train crossed,,,I had not been asleep yet so I started watching the clock to see how often it was crossing. It went by at 4:46 at 4:52 at 4:54 and at 4:56. Every little bit it may go a little longer.

Needless to say I never got an hour of sleep and my husband and I had to be at the hospital fairly early and it made a very rough day,,as if I didn't have enough on my mind.

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH THAT I WOULD NEVER RECOMMEND THIS HOTEL NOT EVEN TO MY WORST ENEMY!!!!!! UNLESS OF COURSE YOU JUST WANT TO STAY UP ALL NIGHT IN THE FIRST PLACE AND THEN IT WOULD BE A GREAT PLACE TO STAY,,, I forgot to mention that are second room smelled like a brewery.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank sissy076
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
7 mi away
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ashland
Best Western River Cities
4 mi away
Ramada Limited Catlettsburg/Ashland

Been to Quality Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!