“Not bad at all”

Ranked #5 of 10 Hotels in Ashland
Dusseldorf, Germany
“Not bad at all”
Reviewed May 24, 2012

I stopped for one night at the Ashland Days Inn while being on a road trip across Kentucky. And my experience was nothing like some of those negative reviews here suggest. Indeed the Days Inn is not special in any way. But I had a clean room, comfortable bed, free of bugs and smells. OK...the TV was still and old fashioned tube, wifi was painfully slow, and the refrigerator was noisy, so I pulled the plug. But that's no serious reason for complaint. Bathroom was clean and fully functional. Breakfast was basic but perfectly fine. So having read some of extremely negative reviews...either management has recently made some major improvements or I was just very lucky with my room.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank hallomainz
ashlandgm, General Manager at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, July 23, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to complete a review of the Days Inn Ashland, KY. We appreciate the feedback, whether positive or negative, and utilize such reviews to try to improve our hotel. Once again, thank you for your review.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Clarkston, Michigan
Reviewed March 20, 2012

This place reeked of smoke! It was disgusting! We had to open the windows and spray the room with perfume and there was still a weird smell. The hallways smelled the worst. There were cigarette burn holes in all the blankets. The drain in the shower was clogged. Also I don't think the maids ever thoroughly clean the rooms. There were wrappers under the bed and the bathroom floor was dirty, dirty, dirty. I was afraid to walk in there without shoes. It seemed like the maids were always on a smoke break too. They say that you can get a non-smoking room. But honestly, the whole place smells like smoke. I wouldn't recommend staying here at all if you have a smoke allergy. I think they should just not allow smoking inside at all because the place smells horrible. They should get new carpet, new furniture, new sheets, blankets, curtains, etc. because they are all outdated and smell of smoke. Never staying here again!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
ashlandgm, General Manager at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of our hotel and provide feedback pertaining to your recent stay. I apologize that your stay was not up to your expectations and any inconvenience this may have caused you. I am not certain when you stayed at the hotel but would like to let you know that we take such reviews as an opportunity for improvement for future guests. If you would like to contact me so that I may get further information from you such as the room number you were in, what night or nights you were here, I would like to look into this further. You can reach me at 606-928-3600 or garthur@hospitalityma.com.

Travelers are raving about these Ashland hotels

Norcross, Georgia
Reviewed November 19, 2011

DO NOT STAY HERE. This has got to be the filthiest hotel in America. Maybe the World. You'd be better off sleeping in your car or under a bridge. The staff were very nice, but it doesn't make up for the filth. PLEASE believe me and DO NOT stay here. It was truly disgusting and just so filthy filthy filthy. Not only will i NEVER stay here again, i will NEVER stay at a Days Inn again for fear i'll get the same filthy dump only in a different city. I can't begin to tell you how disgusting this place is, i'm going everywhere online i can to warn people, I'm also gonna notify the Commonwealth of KY Health dept---for what that's worth as i'm sure they'll do nothing. I've emailed Days Inn Corporate too, but doubt that will do any good as i believe they're independently owned so corporate won't care. OH and WVA are just across the river from Ashland, next time i go i'll find a hotel there. I should have taken pix, but i was so disgusted i didn't want to be reminded of the filth. Carpet was so filthy it was black, ceilings were black with filth cobwebs all around the vents---the bathroom filth cobweb extended from the vent to the mirror, a distance of about 2 feet. The sink drain was clogged. Unbelievably, ALL of the light switches were so caked with filth i covered my forearm with a towel to flip the switch. I laid towels on the floors to walk on WITH my shoes on. The bed must have been stuffed with straw from the noise it made. I've never seen such thin cheap sheets in my life. I HAD to take a shower, i stood on a towel in the shower and touched NOTHING. Bathroom tile grout was black with filth. It was truly so horrible i still shudder, and i mean that, when i think about it. DO NOT STAY HERE, PLEASE DO NOT STAY HERE. You'll be sorry and disgusted and sickened if you do. Literally, this dump should be shut down.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
RDOSWIP, Regional Director of Sales at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, November 22, 2011
Thank you for your recent reveiw of our hotel. We take our TripAdvisor reviews very seriously and use them as a tool for the betterment of our staff and property. We apologize that our location did not meet your expectations. As a follow up from your stay our hotel was inspected by the Ashland-Boyd Co. Health Department. 23 of our 63 rooms, including the room you occupied, were inspected. The Health Department did make note of some items that need attention, but our hotel did pass the inspection with a rating of 86 and no need of a follow up by the Health Department was notated on our inspection. Again, we apologize that our hotel did not meet your expectations and we wish we would have had the opportunity to correct any of the issues had we known about them during your 2 nights with us. Best Regards, Cindy Addison
Reviewed October 16, 2011

My husband and I stayed for one night at this hotel because all the others in town were full. What a mistake. We should've just driven on to Morehead, but I was exhausted and we have a newborn son. About a week after our stay, we noticed we'd acquired a rash that turned out to be bed bug bites. I am horrified that I let my baby sleep in a bed with bed bugs! As if it wasn't bad enough that we had to stay in a smoking room. (Not as if it made a difference - the whole place was dirty and reeked of cigarettes.) I wouldn't recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed October 2011
ashlandgm, General Manager at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
I apologize that your stay was not up to your expectaions. I am not certain when you stayed at the hotel but can assure you we have had no complaints nor found any evidence of bed bugs at our hotel. If you would like to contact me so I can get further information from you such as the room number you were in and what night you were here, I would like to look into this further. You can reach me at garthur@hospitalityma.com.

George Arthur
pgh
Reviewed July 20, 2011

We stayed and got bit by fleas and bedbugs what more is there to say

• Stayed March 2011
1 Thank pghpghlady
ashlandgm, General Manager at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, September 20, 2013
I apologize for your bad experience with us. Had you mentioned this to us we would have made changes for you that may have helped at the time of your visit. Thank you for your comments and believe that the problem you had has been resolved.
pgh
Reviewed November 30, 2010

I stayed there Thanksgiving weekend, and woke up with an itchy skin rash, after going to the Doctors I was informed that I was bitten by bedbugs Filthy Filthy place. There are many other hotels within a 2 mile radius at about the same rate,stay at one of those they don,t bite

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pghpghlady
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, December 3, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to write a comment, it's disappointing to learn that you were unhappy with your stay. Your comments are taken very seriously, and please be assured that the issues have been addressed. There's no excuse for anything less then complete guest satisfaction and we look forward to serving you in the future.
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed October 22, 2010

I checked a lot of reviews and though most people post only problems,. it seems no one post positive comments. In our occasional visit to our old home town, we have stayed at various motels in the area and while some differed in the breakfast offered, most provided about the same quality rooms and service. We founf the Day's Inn to have very comfortable beds and pillows. We had two double beds with microwave and separate refrigerator and freezer as well as a coffee pot and cable TV. I found the clerks and the service personnel very friendly and had no problems at all with the motel. The rates were very reasonable and I can truthfully say that any future visits will be at this motel. MY wife, who is very difficult to please was very pleased and that is something. I hope they continue the excellent quality and service we received during our stay. I think is appropriate to say that this is the first time I have felt strong enough to write any reviews, good or bad.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
GeneralManager026, General Manager at Days Inn Ashland, responded to this review, October 28, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to complete a survey about our hotel and providing feedback to us. Thank you for the kind words, the staff and I appreciate them. We are pleased your stay went well and look forward to your future visits.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Ashland
Hampton Inn Ashland
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Ashland
Red Roof Inn Huntington
Red Roof Inn Huntington
#3 of 12 in Huntington

Been to Days Inn Ashland? Share your experiences!