“Some May Enjoy This...”

and up
Papeete City Tour Including the Black Pearl Museum
Ranked #2 of 34 things to do in Papeete
More attraction details
Owner description: This large and bustling market hall offers local farm products, handicrafts, souvenirs and a variety of fish and food products.
Reviewed October 30, 2012

The market in Papeete is touted as a "must see" destination, so we ventured into Papeete from our resort, planning to spend the morning there.

The first challenge visitors may encounter is actually finding the market, Although it is a huge building it is not well marked. I can't remember how we finally found it...I think we just stumbled into it.

The market is split across two floors. The top floor seemed to have larger vendors, selling lots of clothing, housewares, etc. Downstairs were smaller vendors selling vanilla, arts and crafts type items, etc. The best way to see if there anything you are interested in is to walk through the whole market, which we did in about 30 minutes.

The prices didn't seem to be particularly special compared to other local shops. Some people may appreciate that lots of different goods are available in one location. We didn't purchase anything at the market, but it appeared that a number of vendors were willing to negotiate somewhat on price if more than one item was purchased.

The building is rundown and not very clean. It seems they could do a little more to attract tourists as well as locals, since it was not very busy even on a late Saturday morning.

We've been to similar markets in other countries and found them to be somewhat more inviting. However, some folks may enjoy what is offered at the market. Fortunately there is no fee just to check it out.

3  Thank XlntAdventure

Reviewed July 13, 2012

This is a fun way to spend your morning. The lower level is fruits, vegetables, flowers, food for sale and cheaper souvenirs. Upstairs you will find more expensive items, mostly pareos. I hate when people review things and say something negative just because the experience isn't fabulous. This is a way to soak up the local culture which is why most people are there. You can also purchase your last-minute souvenirs. It is a fun time and a must see/do. You don't want to return home and then say "I wish I could have experienced this".

4  Thank Kathy H
Reviewed May 14, 2012

I loved my visit to the MarketPlace. I got to speak French (in phrases) with the local shopkeepers. I was on the lookout for a well-make Tahitian ukulele. They are found upstairs in the shops which feature woodcarvings. Many are 'tourist' type, good only for souvenirs, but I wanted a decent one, which I could play with my ukulele group. I finally found just the right one after visiting four or five or the shops. A brief negotiation brought it around $155US. It is hand carved and sounds good: eight strings, and high-pitched, not like a Hawaiian uke.
I also stopped into a fabric store and bought a 3/4 yd of Tahitian fabric for a future uke strap. The entire outing was very enjoyable.

2  Thank patmacsata
Reviewed January 8, 2012

If you are in Papeete, stop at the Municipal Market. It is a great attraction. People are very friendly. Parking is very difficult around there. There is a multilevel parking garage next the Government House "Hotel de Ville" . People in Polynesia are very friendly. Go late in the day before they close and then head towards the water where the Roulottes (Food Trucks) are.
The raw Tuna is great, so are the Creepes and the Chinese food.

4  Thank latino20876
Reviewed November 6, 2011

The market is amazing, mainly for the mix of locals and tourists all together, the locals to buy fish and fruits, the tourists more for the tissues (pareos) and other souvenirs. It is pretty clean, big and very colorfull, and for sure a must do and see. It is also the best place to choose for your souvenirs, a lot of choices. There are 2 levels, souvenirs are mainly upstairs. That's also the place to go if you want a souvenir for yourself, one you wil keep forever like mine, a tattoo! I went to Fraima Tattoo upstairs, ask for Simeon, he is great (though pretty silent) and very very good. He's won a lot of competiton for his art, and I already had 2 tattoos made by him. Never have a tattoo done at the beginning of your trip or you will NOT be able to swim, that would be really too bad! Plan on staying 2 days in Tahiti before going back home.

2  Thank Dom-Michelle