WINNER WONDERLAND

Le Retro
Ranked #9 of 85 Restaurants in Papeete
Cuisines: Diner, French, International
Good for: Families with children, Kids, Bar scene, Large groups, Local cuisine
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Chicago, Illinois
“Big, busy restaurant”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2013

My wife and I had lunch at this place which was nearly full. it is very central in Papeete, right on a major street and has outdoor sitting too.

We both had hamburger with fries with draft beer and shared an ice cream. The total bill was about $45. The food was OK, but although the waiting stuff seemed to work very hard(unusual for this part of the world) service was still slow. I felt really sorry for an oriental couple who waited 3-4 times longer than we did for their food.

There is not much choice for lunch in Papeete, since the roulottes are available only after about 6PM.

• Visited January 2013

• Finnish first
Woodmere, New York
“Fun Happy Hour Karaoke Spot”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

It was our last night and we were waiting for the food trucks to open at the Port, so we decided to stop in at Le Retro for some drinks during Happy Hour. It was very entertaining! We had a blast having some excellent drinks. Coming from NY, the prices weren't all that shocking, but I can see why other reviewers thought it was expensive. However, the location is prime, so it's understandable. We enjoyed watching locals sing karaoke as we got a bit buzzed. We didn't eat anything, other than some pomme frites, which were very good...but I suppose they are difficult to mess up.

• Visited December 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Athens GA
“Karaoke place”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

Sounds of music across from the place where our ship docked attracted my attention one night. The locals were having fun doing karaoke and it was a scene. A fellow passenger signed up to sing, so I sat with his wife and had a Tahitian beer (small bottle = $7.50). Another ship mate on his honeymoon bought me a tequila shot, for which I reciprocated (@shot = $6.00). For me, 3 month's worth of drinks in one night! Fun nonetheless. The service was slow and I was uncertain about the conversion to the local currency, but it was entertaining to see the locals sing (both in French and in English). I would stop in there again, but would be sure to put some extra bills in my wallet. Also, it was a safe walk from the ship, no problem.

• Visited November 2012
Papeete, French Polynesia
“Tourist trap to avoid”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

Despite a good location in the heart of Papeete avoid this bad and expensive restaurant. The food and the service are poor. The design of the place needs renovation. Only the prices are high.

• Visited October 2012
Colorado
“Ok given limited good food options in Papeete”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2012

Our hotel recommended Le Retro for a quick lunch. It was just OK. None of the wait staff seemed to speak English or at least to understand us. It is a great location across from the harbor and there were two cruise ships in harbor the day we were there so Le Retro was busy. I thought it was expensive for the service/food but I also don't think there are many good options that aren't extremely touristy in Papeete as you might expect and Le Retro was in a nice space. The fries were good!

• Visited October 2012