“Fascinating story of the history and biology of oysters and pearls”

Musee de la perle et Bijouterie
Book In Advance
More Info
$50.38*
and up
Papeete City Tour Including the Black Pearl Museum
Ranked #5 of 17 things to do in Papeete
More attraction details
Owner description: The Robert WAN Pearl Museum provides a comprehensive guide to the history and legends of pearls, crossing different cultures and civilizations. Visitors to the museum learn how the pearls are grafted and can see a collection of the world’s most beautiful cultured gems. A highlight of the collection is the largest round Tahitian cultured pearl in existence: a 22mm round Tahitian Silver (grey) of AAA quality, weighing 8.7 grams. Fittings, this pearl is called the “Robert WAN”. The Robert Wan Pearl Museum is a must do activity of the island of Tahiti. It confides to its visitors not only all the Cultured Pearl’s secrets and its History, but also all the tools and trust to choose their pearls. Only Museum dedicated to the Pearl, the Robert Wan Pearl Museum provides numerous illustrations and explanations that are as adapted for amateurs as for experienced people. Robert Wan reveals all the secrets of conception of the Tahitian Cultured Pearls and discloses its symbol over the centuries.
Reviewed April 14, 2018

I went to the Robert WAN Pearl Museum twice. The first time was a surprise. On Sunday morning my husband and I were walking around the harbor on the Boulevard and spotted the museum. I had it on my list of places to visit the next day since it was not open on Sunday. To our surprise, we saw people inside and were invited in. We both enjoyed the exhibit, learning a lot about pearls in general and black ones in particular. To our surprise, though we expected this free museum to be a hook into a retail shop, nobody offered to show us any of the high-priced merchandise on display.

The next day I returned with a friend who was equally delighted with the displays, and again, if we had asked, we could have tried on necklaces or earrings, but there were obviously no expectations of that. Don't miss this fascinating experience!

2  Thank Sharon L
in 11 reviews
"shop"
in 26 reviews

Reviewed April 4, 2018

While caught in a rainstorm while walking in Papeete we popped into the pearl museum and enjoyed about a half hour of looking around. Exhibits are well done and quite educational. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed April 1, 2018

I've been to many black pearl shops but I always come back to Robert Wan because I believe he has the best selection. So far I've purchased 5 of his pearls (during 5 different trips) and I always get compliments when I wear them. The museum is very interesting in that it gives one basics in the pearl industry and the selection is huge. The sales personnel is quite knowledgeable and will match the perfect pearl with your skin tone. Kudos also to the salesperson in the Robert Wan store at the Intercontinental on Moorea who was very sweet.

Reviewed March 23, 2018 via mobile

staff very friendly. they came and picked us up at hotel and returned us to another destinations.
museum is small but very I interesting with beautifull pearls on display.
sales staff very helpful no h ugh pressure to purchase. good for about 90 minutes