WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Hotel Tahiti Nui

Hotel Tahiti Nui
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Papeete
Boston, Massachusetts
“Convenient to ferry or cruise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

I flew into Papeete after a long travel period and arrived at the hotel at 11 pm. I was greeted at the desk and received my room key in a short time. I was not asked if I needed help with my bags, but was able to handle them on my own. Once I got to my room, it was clean and looked similar to the pictures I had seen on the hotel's website. I had been worried about the noise level due to other reviews, but had no trouble sleeping at all. My room was facing the pool. It was a standard room and was spacious and modern. The bathroom was clean and I did not experience any problems with the showers, which I had been concerned about due to someone else's previous review. I was happy in the room, especially after such a long flight.
I would have given the service a higher number, but in the short time I was there did not have much interaction. I felt that they were not very helpful in setting up a tour or giving advice about what to do. They told me about one company in which he takes you to see a waterfall, but then shortly afterwards said that the guy was temporarily out of business. The other suggestion was given by the front desk grabbing a random brochure and reading over it to me. This was not very helpful. I also would have liked them to show in the room or at front desk further advertisement about classes offered through the gym. On two occasions I saw from my room an aqua aerobics class going on and would have attended if I had known about it. There was nothing posted in the gym or spa. When I went into the pool it was very cold and wish it had been heated. There was no jacuzzi tub. The gym was good with the exception that the assistant did not turn on the a/c unit so when I was working out it took awhile for the a/c to cool the room. In addition the assistant said that someone lost the remote to the 3 flat screen tvs in the gym a couple of days ago. I was frustrated that they had not replaced it or figured out a way around this.
I liked the location as it was close to the ferry to Moorea and also to the cruise port. I would suggest not bothering to pay for transport to the cruise boati. I did ahead of time, but then simply walked the 2 blocks rather than waiting to get picked up. The night life was non-existent on a Tuesday night. It was dark in the streets and I was nervous walking alone even though the front desk person said it was safe. I was surprised the hotel restaurant closed early and the bar does not serve any food. I walked to where the cruise ships are and there were street vans with food. The food was very expensive for street food and not that great. There was a convenience store/gas station next to the hotel but that closes early as well.
Overall I think for a solo traveler staying in Papeete 2 nights that this is a great hotel. If you are looking for beautiful views and the traditional huts then you will have to go further from the airport I believe or to Moorea. The hotel is close to the local market which was fun to explore. The trip to Moorea was the highlight of Tahiti!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Paris, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Hi We stayed here 3 nights it is a good compromise to visite Papeete and TAHITI Very good hotel , near the Marché of Papeete. Very nice people. I will recommend this hotel to someone who want to be near the center of Papeete and near the ferry terminal to Moorea. You can easily walk to the ferry.:-)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

Family of 2 adults and 2 teens got a 2 bedroom suite for a pre-cruise stay. Clean well equipped rooms, extremely comfortable accommodation. No noise whatsoever. Added bonus was view from the balcony. Courteous and helpful staff. Well positioned for exploring the town.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Lions300
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

We spent a night at this hotel en route to Moorea. Our flight from New Zealand landed at 10 pm so it was too late to catch a ferry or a plane to our final destination. We chose this hotel based on its proximity to the marina which is where our ferry left the next day at 9 am. The ferry was a 10 minute walk from the hotel. One thing to note for travelers who are used to proper sidewalks....there are no proper sidewalks on the road that is hotel is on which makes walking with your luggage a little bit tricky. It is a non issue if you have no luggage though. The room was clean but the lobby and corridors of the hotel were quite dark. The hotel has dim blue lighting in the corridors outside the rooms which gives the hotel a slightly dodgy feel but we don't think that is the intention of hotel management and we certainly did not feel unsafe after we were in our room so the hotel could work on improving the lighting in the lobby and corridors. I would say this hotel is adequate for someone catching a flight or a ferry to Moorea or its surrounding islands the next day. There is a Shell Service station (gas station) right next to the hotel which is convenient if you are looking for a late night snack especially if you arrive at a time when we did.

Room Tip: Try and get a higher floor. They often have parties on level 1 so the higher you are, the better it...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Haramkhor
N.S.W. Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

Hi! Stayed here two nights, had a room on main road, but I sleep so well, did not hear the traffic much, rooms are of good size, and the reception staff were fantastic, best I have dealt with in a long time. You are very close to cruise terminal, I am an elderly person and was on my own, and I walked from cruise terminal up to hotel in 10 minutes. You are close to shops, and markets, and service station next door is excellent for snacks, and good value for money. The only thing I would recommend, is the lighting on each floor, it is very dark coming back late at night, but that is because I was on my own, otherwise this hotel is excellent value for money.

Room Tip: I would recommend if someone is light sleeper to get room at back of hotel....
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank indenda
McHenry, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2013

This is a great location before a cruise. Next to a convenience mart for small meals or snacks. Close to Farmer's Market and small mall. Able to walk to docks for your ship (if you have limited luggage). We were there on Sat. and "caught" a Tahitian show @ the tourist center and a Marquesas show @ Farmer's market after walking thru a small mall to see Pere Noel (Tahitian Santa) and Xmas decorations. Ask for a city map and walk the small sidestreets and down to the wharf to watch the yachts. Traffic always stops for you to cross streets. Girls @ desk were very pleasant. Rooms were spacious. Even pool aerobics offered, but in French). Would definitely stay here if only a few days in Papeete.

Room Tip: Ask for mountain view
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Louette A
San Francisco, California, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2012

My friend and I got into Tahiti very late and simply needed a place to sleep before we left in the morning to get onto our cruise ship. The a/c didn't seem to work, but we just left the sliding glass door to the balcony open and a fresh breeze blew in all night. We were able to walk to our ship from the hotel, as it was only a few blocks from where the ships dock. We didn't use the pool and didn't use the breakfast option, which cost extra. We both got a nice rest and got rid of our jet lag. We started our cruise refreshed and clean. The shower was fun.

Room Tip: This was a great place for a single night. The hotel was quiet and peaceful with a beautiful garden...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Jokie W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Papeete
Manava Suite Resort Tahiti
#1 of 4 in Papeete
3.5 of 5 bubbles 1,530 reviews
InterContinental Tahiti Resort & Spa
Tahiti Pearl Beach Resort

Been to Hotel Tahiti Nui? Share your experiences!