“Scary experience”

Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Even if this is a backpackers' lodge, I would have expected something better. I was scared the first time at dinner, when the chicken skewer contained pieces of almost raw chicken, and the second time when I almost stepped into the shower with a long-legged spider about the size of my palm. I just caught it in a cooking pan and relased it outside, so no harm came to it or me, but we kept all luggage closed after that. The nature experience is very hands-on in other aspects too, with lots of sugar ants in the room and the walls are so thin that the frogs/cats/birds sound like they are actually also in your room. On top of that you can hear the heavy traffic from the road.

We had a self-contained family bure with a double bed and a single bed downstairs and 4 single beds upstairs, but the stairs were too dangerous for the children (3 & 8), so we put one mattress on the floor downstairs and kept both children there instead. There was a broken window in the staircase and no mosquito screening on the window upstairs, so we kept the anti-mosquito burners on in the night (plus for providing them!).

The bure did not have a very clean feeling, the bathroom/shower was run-down, it smelled faintly of mould and the linen and towels did not seem clean/fresh.

We never tried the pool, but the water looked strange with some white flakes on the surface. The lake is muddy pool, but the children enjoyed feeding the fish.

The children/babysitter said that breakfast was ok, but otherwise food was almost inedible. The children's fish & chips was made of a bony piece of some unidentified old frozen fish and their chicken look like it had been panfried last week. Other food was bland and badly cooked.

I would not recommend this for families with small children.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank TMWT
There are newer reviews for Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We were really looking forward to staying here as we have stayed in a number of 'Eco lodges' in the past and they have always been more interesting and enjoyable than a regular hotel. Unfortunately we were left disappointed from the very moment we arrived. Greeted with a friendly smile and no assistance in taking our luggage or even locating our bure we discovered a blocked toilet and enough chairs to seat a Fijian rugby team.

We asked for a new room, this was done much to the annoyance of the security guy who was watching football at the time. I believe the question he asked was "do you NEED a toilet!?". For $160 it would be nice.

The second bure had a working toilet but like the first was cramped and in desperate need of a refurb. The bed was comfortable but the mosquito net fell just short of the mattress therefore rendering it useless. It should also be mentioned that if you are a light sleeper then this is definitely not the place for you. The local wildlife and Aussies with guitars make light work of the paper thin walls and in our case resulted in two nights of very restless sleep.

The bar was an interesting place and a continuation of the stellar service we had encountered on arrival. A loud call of "excuse me" was required to get the waitress off her phone to take our breakfast order and the evening bar staff were of the same caliber. We will try to upload some photos of the back bar as it quite something.

It isn't a terrible place to stay but for the money you would expect a much much higher standard of service and accommodation. We do feel genuinely ripped off by the raintree lodge and would definitely encourage others to look elsewhere. The adventure of staying in the forest by a lake is completely ruined by this resort. A massive shame.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank James M
Reviewed June 24, 2013

If you don't want to stay in downtown Suva you will love Raintree Lodge it's away from it all, the food was great, not too expensive, terrific bar. Plenty of room in the bure only stayed one night but would stay again for a night or two. We had not planned to stay so our room rate was the going rate, I'm sure if I planned ahead I would get a better deal. It gives you another side to Fiji you are not on the coast, so no sea and beach views. Pretty sure if you are a bird and plant lover you would have the time of your life. About 1/2 hour drive to the Airport perfect if you have the very early morning flight to Nadi. No road noise was heaven!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LouiseandHarry
Reviewed June 8, 2013

Very nice lodge, itˊs like staying in an arboretum. Best facility for backpackers, hot water, laundry, wifi. May get upgrade to a double room for dorm price if it's less busy. Not cheap cheap but a higher standard stay like ˊflashpackers` between Suva and Nandi. Also available singles and buras. Restaurant over a lake surrounded by trees, you can feed fish. Some rooms by a lake with water lily, some scattered in tropical plantation. Over 100 different kinds of trees and plants are numbered and a guide book with descriptions and use\medical use of each, you can take a self-guided tour matching numbers, fun and really gain some knowledge. Also a guide book for birdwatching. When you are there you can tell the owner put a lot of work and heart in building this unique place. If you have more time than just transfering in Suva and like to stay in somewhere special, this is the one to consider. There is also a park with natural pools and waterfalls just across the street.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank weicreation
Reviewed April 29, 2013

Absolutely excellent hotel Stayed in a private bure which was beautiful, four poster queen bed, even a DVD player (you can borrow the latest movies from Reception), balcony overlooking the lake with water lilies.Super helpful staff and great food. Extremely clean, exactly what we were looking for. Highly Recommended.

Room Tip: Rooms with a lake view.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank colin l
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Having to go back an forth to Suva every 3 to 4 weeks for business, I've stayed in 9 different hotels of all price classes so far. Five trips ago I have found the Raintree Lodge in the Colo-i-Suva Park. Since then I'm no more looking. I found my home away from home. Given that this lodge was originally built for Backpackers, the rooms and facilities are by design not five star, but still clean and well kept. There is a serenity, peace and dreamy realness to this place, that never fails to relax me. No traffic noise, the staff is really nice and the ponds are full of fish. The restaurant is just lovely. A real Fijian chiefly bure and the food is exceptionally good for Suva standards. The nature reserve literally grows into the lodges grounds and so do the birds in the morning.
To cut this short: Suva is a busy, modern town with lots of traffic and shops. When I enter the Raintree Lodge after a long day in Suva, I'm back in Fiji again. The only thing missing is my kawa bowl...

Room Tip: Dorms are good. Double rooms are ok, their balcony on top of the pond is nice. The bure in the top r...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Laurence12345
Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is a reasonable accommodation located in the outskirts of Suva. Coloi-Suva Forest Park is a stone's throw away from the hostel. The hostel has two beautiful ponds surrounded by a lush rainforest. You can enjoy the scenery from their restaurant balcony. There were not many guests, so they upgraded my room from dormitory to twin room, although I was a solo traveller.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
4  Thank misocutlet
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
#4 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva

Been to Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort? Share your experiences!