“Disappointing -hotel is run down”
Review of Suva Motor Inn

Suva Motor Inn
Ranked #7 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Auckland, New Zealand
“Disappointing -hotel is run down”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Our family has always enjoyed the comfort of the Suva Motor Inn over the years, the pool and bar is as we remember them and the hotel is close to everything in Suva. However we found the state of the hotel very run down, mouse in room most days, bathroom leaked every second day during our stay. No fault with warm, friendly and efficient staff but the building looks tired and needs a lot of repair to be done. Reported the mouse incident to front office but did not get any feedback whether this was being attended to. Told by maintenance staff that about 8 bathrooms were also leaking in the hotel due to incorrect plumbing!
The mouse incident floored me as had worked in a huge hotel establishment for over 25 years and had not come across mice being found in any hotel in either Fiji, Australia or New Zealand.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Vasiti S

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (64)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I've stayed at Suva Motor Inn many times over the years, and have found it to be a warm and friendly place. However, the services have declined through lack of care and investment to the point where I will not stay there any longer.

Aside from the tired bar and breakfast area with the inconsistent and poor quality food, the cockroaches and the rat bait in the rooms, staff hovering for tips and drab rooms with tiny tvs and fuzzy reception, I experienced bed bugs on my last visit. I have heard from the staff that there are only bed bugs "in a few rooms". But the fact that there are any bed bugs - and that they still put customers in those rooms - is reason enough not to return.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Jessybeats

Travelers are raving about these Suva hotels

Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 10, 2012

We stayed here for just one night after we landed in Suva in the early evening. There were 3 of us and as we were all quite tired we decided to come straight here as we knew they had a nice swimming pool and a day of relaxation the following day was just what we wanted and needed.

When we arrived, we were so surprised at how much they were asking for each room but as we were tired we decided to just stay anyway for one night and find something a little cheaper the following.

So once we had unloaded our bags and sent the taxi away we noticed that the pool was closed! We were pretty annoyed at that, but I understand that they do have to do maintenance occasionally, but we thought we were in peak season so their timing confused me somewhat. So we asked for a discount on the rooms, but they refused and the staff weren't exactly friendly about it either, which annoyed us quite a lot. But like I said we decided to stay regardless.

But we all slept really badly, the air-con didn't work properly and the ceiling fan sounded like a helicopter landing on our roof, so were so pleased to be out of there the following morning.

Plus, the location of this hotel is not great, it is quite a walk to get into town and the streets aren't very well lit for walking back at night, so maybe if you come to Suva pick somewhere else.

Room Tip: The rooms are just OK, but check the quality of your fan and air-con before finalising your room and...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Freespirits182
Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed June 2, 2012 via mobile

Great hotel and location, pool is amazing with a waterslide. great food. Stayed at this hotel twice and love it.

• Stayed March 2012
1 Thank Sulz4you
Papeete, French Polynesia
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Remote location, nothing around, 1st convenience store 20 minutes walking
Entrance : it's like going through the deliveries entry
Inside patio : looks neglected and drab, needs fresh paint, swimming pool inop
Front desk : could not give me change on 20 FJD to pay our taxi, but yhey did the printing we needed for a fee
Very nice and helpfull bellman, smiling housekeeper and handyman
A bar and 3 small tables in a corner by the swimming pool, not appealing
Room : old, furnished with odds and ends, bed with a broken spring that ripped my leg,bad quality pillows, poor lighting, the tiniest TV I've ever seen with only 2 channels, no table/chairs, noisy air con
Kitchen: small fridge (dirty), microwave, plates/cups for 3 but cuttlery for 2
Bathroom: shampoo already half used,no tissues in the box provided for, one leaking faucet, antique and running toilet, hair drying in working condition, ants free of charge
Internet: for a fee, not expensive
Icing on the cake:SLEEPLESS night due to lack of soundproofing, you hear everything from above, next door, balcony,bar

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank maramanocent
naivakacau village
Reviewed April 18, 2012

i live in wellington,nz. and everytime i fly to the island, i always check in the suva motor inn and i also call it home,i never check in, in other hotels, its not that im fussy, or a pick and choose type, no its the like its handy, the shopping centres just near by,and its cool !!! planning to go back in december,havent had christmas with the family for a very long time.suva motor inn suits me fine,cant wait to go back.

Room Tip: my room was behind the office i forgot the rm number i also trave back in 2008
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
3 Thank mrhill2819
Auckland
Reviewed April 11, 2012

Earlier, I wrote a review called “The Place I Call Home in Suva.” I have now changed my mind. Last month, I stayed there again. After the hotel joined the Best Western chain.

When that happened I thought, "Oh good, now they hopefully will improve the place a bit." Unfortunately, that has not happened.

When checking in, we were given the "last room in the hotel." This proved to be smelly, and the air-conditioner fan was clacking incessantly. We complained and were moved to another room. Which was fine until wanting to take a shower in the morning. At least with no hot water a person can take a cold shower, but, as was the case, if one has no cold water, one cannot take a shower as if one tries, they will get scalded. So . . . no shower that morning. They then moved us to a third room. At least everything worked.

The issue is that when they charged a reasonable rate (FJ 95 / night), one can put up with a little less. But since joining Best Western, they seem to think that they are no justified to charge 62% more with no increase in value. (In fact, after having been bounced around, my impression is that the value has gone way down.)

After three different rooms, I noticed that absolutely nothing is being improved in any of the rooms. "Oh, our plan is to improve the rooms slowly." the receptionist commented. I commented back, "Maybe, but you aren't slow to gouge the customer for more money with less service, are you?"

I am very disappointed . . . "Best Western" . . . definitely not. "Declining to Below Average Pacific" . . . much more accurate. Still dark, still no elevator, still uncomfortable and awkward head-boards on the beds, still has cockroaches, still charges extra for internet. All for more money, less service. The Best Western affiliation has helped them keep occupancy rates high, but this seems to have motivate them much less to make any real improvement.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms on the south side are more easy to reach. No needed elevator, but the kiddy nois...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
6 Thank Don M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Holiday Inn Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva
Novotel Suva Lami Bay

Been to Suva Motor Inn? Share your experiences!