“Bad room for the bucks.”
Review of Tanoa Plaza Suva

Tanoa Plaza Suva
Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I stayed here one night before I was leaving fiji prior to that I had been staying in novotel lami, location wise it was a little out of the main town would cost a little more to get to the town and back. But even if that I combined with the room that you can get at novotel (ocean view, high end furnishing great view modern clean) and the room cost you about $200fjd it would be a lot cheaper. Now coming back to Tanoa plaza cost me $275 for the first room (202) horrible view actually no view at all. All I could see was the tin roof, curtains were half hanging down room smelled like dust old furnishing tv was so small carpets were old the shams were stained, the bedding was dusty. The decorative pillow was so old and run down. Then I decided to pay a little more switched to 606 for about $293 fjd the only difference was that at least I had a view two complementary Fiji water, and a color ful runner across bed and the same material for the decorative pillow. Still smelled like dust 1 hour in the room I was having a hard time breating because it was soo dusty, complained at the reception I would say that they took quick action and cleaned the room and sprayed some "air freshner" bathroom was rather clean but the flush button of the toilet was on the wall so far away! Why?? It was crazy, I took a nap woke up it was crazy hot my bf and I had to call the reception for maintenance to have a look at it, maintenance was fast came in changed the whole A/C was fast and convinent. Had a bad experience with tanao I would not be coming back, I really regretted checking out of novotel a day before I was supposed to.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank manishap3
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this reviewResponded August 16, 2013

Bula Vinaka Manishap3,

Thankyou for your review, i really appreciate that you given me detailed information about what i can do, to improve the products that we offer. For the month we are trialing out rate packages at the counter however, for better deals our hotel site offers more affordable rates.

Again Manishap3, you have been very specific and helpful on your review, and i am indeed thankful. if you are ever in town, please let me know, i will be happy to assist and most interested to hear about your views.

Mere Rakoroi

Reviewed August 12, 2013

We stayed here for six nights on a recent business trip to Fiji. The rooms were OK, but not very inspiring. We only ate bar snacks here one evening that were OK, too - but nothing special. Breakfast annoyed me most days - the staff seemed to be more interested in chatting or counting money and filling in forms, than in coming over and asking if you wanted tea or coffee (the only thing they really needed to do, as it was the usual self-service buffet). It's not as if the dining room was crowded - it never was! Adequate, but nothing more. Location is good and central, though.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms are apparently better
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank pethos

Bula Vinaka Pethos,

Thankyou for your review, I really appreciate your comments, we are indeed making changes with our room facilities despite the size, we will work on progress from here and also you mentioned about the service delivery, i will look into my staffs and making sure that attention to details is important, especially for every guests that walks into our hotel and uses our facilities.

Again Pethos, leave this with me and i will look into your concerns, if there is anything else, please don't hesitate to contact me direct.

Mere Rakoroi

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Front Desk staff were friendly and quick, rooms were nice, but the food in the Dining Room was terrible!! Kitchen staff too busy talking to each other, always sitting down having meals themselves whilst guests waited, and they all seemed to be teenagers with no one supervising them, and no proper Chefs in the kitchen. Really appalling .Without the waiter Thomasina, we would still be waiting for our food. He kept trying to get some service from the kitchen, and looked after us all the time we were there. Food not International standard at all, service terrible, and way, way overpriced. Sorry won't be visiting the Tanoa Suva again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Bula Vinaka Robyn R,

Thank-you for taking the time to inform us about your recent experience at our hotel.
I am disappointed that our standard of service in some key areas of the hotel’s product did not meet your expectations. I have discussed your areas of service delivery with the relevant department supervisors and through the information that you provided, we have since been able to address these shortfalls in service & product delivery with my team.

I trust that we will be able to welcome you back to Tanoa Plaza in the near future and It is only through this constructive feedback that we can improve on our product & service standards and be able to meet our guest’s expectations on every stay or initializing our restaurant facilities.

Once again, thankyou for your review

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Tanoa Plaza is a short walking distance from the water front street with plenty of restaurant and shopping choices and it also seems to be situated well for local government offices and the local university (where I was working on this trip).

The staff were friendly and the hotel was clean and well kept up and there is a restaurant in the lobby that has live local music most nights.

I stayed there two times on this trip. The first in a regular room and the second in a deluxe room. The deluxe room cost about $18 more per night and featured carpet instead of tiled floors, an upgraded shower head, and I think a few more TV channels but otherwise was exactly the same as the regular room. Both rooms were comfortable and clean providing a good night sleep.

The hotel restaurant was not that good and I only at there once preferring to walk out and find food.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Bula Vinaka Erikb1978,

Thankyou for your review, I surely am grateful that you have taken the time to share with us about your experience. First thing this morning, I have shared your feedback with my team and they appreciated that, also for the hotel, we are undergoing changes to improve the existing products and service we currently have in rooms, restaurants, conferences etc . So it should be interesting.

I look forward in having you back with us, so we can catch up about the positive changes we have done, based on your review.

Once again, Vinaka Vakalevu

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I had 4 nights here and it was quite nice, quite expensive tho. Safe did not work and air conditioning did not work either. overall it was ok and enjoyed my stay as the staff were very friendly and courteous

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Bula Vinaka Jack M,

Thankyou for your having the time to write about your stay, I will surely check on the areas that you have highlighted, and will get this sorted out and improved. And for my staff, vinaka vakalevu from all of us, we look forward to seeing you back again, if anything with room rates, please don't hesitate to see me or email me, happy to hear from you.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed on Saturday night 1st of June and enjoyed my stay as the staff were very friendly and courteous however the price for a local is double what you advocate on your site per room per night. Admittedly I was on the 8th floor with great views but the rooms are very small but comfortable. Better than any other hotel I have stayed in in Suva and I have tried most of them but over the top on their room rates

Stayed: June 2013
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Bula Vinaka Kimbowai,

Thankyou very much for your review, especially on hotel room rates. We have now introduced our Rate Package which is not only room basis but is now Inclusive of full cooked breakfast plus WIFI, however, at the same time, we are also doing changes in our rooms to improve on the products we offer.
Once again, your recognition for my staff, is highly appreciated and will share this review with them. Looking forward to catching up with you in Suva.

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I had 6 days in March 2013 on business. Overall positive - I think I was on about the 6th floor and the upper floors are apparently the best ones. Room OK, more luxuries than I need, but unfortunately I had to work and buying expensive internet vouchers was a real pain, and for 2 days I could not get it to operate. I was not the only one in our group with that problem - the written instructions were a bit out of date. Sounds like that voucher system may have changed now? The air conditioner need sorting - my control stopped working on the last day and I just left it. I try not to use them but occasionally needed in the daytime since this is Fiji!
Breakfast good, the hotel location in town was excellent. Walk to shops and museum/park. Taxis easy.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Tanoaplaza, General Manager at Tanoa Plaza Suva, responded to this reviewResponded May 30, 2013

Bula Vinaka Harrowagenda21,

Thankyou very much for your feedback, really appreciate the time you have taken to tell me about our product and services. For the WIFI connectivity, speed and information flyer, this is certainly a priority for our business clients and will make sure this works out for you, also recently I have just introduced Package deal inclusive of full cooked breakfast plus WIFI, let me know when you are in town, so i can get your feedback on this.
And for our AC unit control, i am currently liaising with our Maintenance Team in Fiji and NZ and will be sorting this problem soon.
Once again, i humbly appreciate your feedback, and hope to see you back soon

Ms Mere Rakoroi

Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
Town House Apartment Hotels Suva
Peninsula International Hotel
Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort
Novotel Suva Lami Bay

Been to Tanoa Plaza Suva? Share your experiences!