“Disappointed by the variability of the accommodation”
Review of Holiday Inn Suva

Holiday Inn Suva
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Wellington, New Zealand
“Disappointed by the variability of the accommodation”
Reviewed October 13, 2009

I chose the hotel for the convenience of the Nadi bus. I chose Holiday Inn because this was an international brand that i had come to regard as having high standards. I am here now for three weeks, this is my second week. In my first week the room was fine with a sea view even though I selected the cheaper garden view. The hotel is certainly secure with views from the window looking a little like a prison with high barbed wire fence and the promise of infra red sensors to the beach at night! I'm not sure if this makes me feel secure or not! In my second week I was placed in a markedly informerior room with stained lobby carpets, stained setee (LOOKED like chocolate had been smeared everywhere and a poor finish to the room. It was so cold I asked to be moved. The second room had no safe so i asked to be moved. Thre third room had the same problem as the first an air-con that did not heat. I was shivering, so after waiting for it to warm up for a short time I asked for someone to look at it and went for dinner. The porter was just marvelous and genuinely made me feel like a person but he was told to turn the temperature DOWN not up! By this time i was getting rather stressed out. This time the porter (lovely chap) and I tried two more rooms and bingo we had success in finding one that could remain warm. 5th time lucky. The decor in this room is reasonable but the ceiling above the wardrobe is becoming detached. The room does smell of damp and the air-con does make an odd tapping noise randomly and occasionally but I've learned that turning it off and then on again sorts this out. The staff here seem genuinely caring but the finish of the rooms is very variable. All bathrooms though modern are poorly finished with poor grouting and levels. So lovely staff but a building that has seen much better days (and probably worse ones prior to what looks like a cheap renovation).
As this is my home from home I'm really hoping that my final week in Suva will be in a good room that i can report to you all met the standard for this grade of hotel. The food in Vikatorias is fine in the moring but predictable (and it's empty) in the evenings. Again staff are friendly.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Int_Academic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Milford, Ohio
Reviewed October 8, 2009

I would rate them as very, very good. It was a great trip due to the name of the hotel I do believe.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2009

Nice enough accommodation that you would expect from a HI, though not all rooms are refurbed. Good heart of the city location which we needed to visit family and AVIS car service was superb! Try and book as early as possible otherwise you will find the rates skyrocket! Other than beer the beverage prices are over the top!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank London_Ratu
sydney
Reviewed September 14, 2009

Well unlike others, I was simply there for business travel. We had a late flight, gotta be careful with the taxi drivers, they rip you off!! But we arrived to the Hotel around 11pm - the restaurant closed at 10pm i think but coming off a long flight we asked the workers if they had anything, they go "were closed ... but its ok ... tell us what you feel like eating and I'll whip something up for you" - I was so greatful.
They made me a beautiful tropical cocktail and to relax me and topped it off with a delicious fish curry with rice. It was divine!!! Exactly what I needed.
I definetly went to sleep on a full stomach.

I stayed there for 10days and the buffet breakfast was delicious !! Loved it. I dont know about the others but I enjoyed the meals there - they were so filling etc. I dont know whether they were over priced etc as it was all expenses paid for trip.

Oh but the International Phone call rates are a rip off ... they were definetly expensive. It cost me $90 for 15mins.

Anyways, my room was awesome. It suited me - it wasnt too big, too small .... was just right. Room service was ok too. I had a wardrobe malfunction where my skirts zip broke so I needed needle and threads which they provided me with ... problem is it took them 15mins to bring them up.

Receptionists / Reservations was the only letdown for me .... they need to be more engaging, friendly ... a smile would help - even trying to make a conversation ... they just looked so cold. But apart from that I loved my stay there .... the food especially the curry dishes they had blew me away .... Id definetly go back :)

• Stayed June 2008, traveled on business
1 Thank Travelling_Samoan
Auckland NZ
Reviewed August 20, 2009

Tagged along with my husband who was on business in Fiji. He normally stays at the Tanoa, but I wanted a place with a gymn and to be within close walking distance to the CBD. When we opened the door to our room (which was a downstairs room in the wing to the right of the pool) there was a definite stench in the room. We thought it could be just the mustiness of the air conditioner, but by the evening the stench was worse. Finally my husband couldnt take it anymore and rang reception to complain about it. A person came to our room to check it out and as soon as he walked in he admitted he could smell something terrible. He apologised and said that it could be the rat bait in the ceiling. I have to say it smelt more like dead rats! So we were moved from that room to another room, which was slightly better. The cleanliness of the rooms is not too good. The grouting in the tiles need a good clean and the couch was grimy. However, the entrance, restaurant, pool area, bar area is ok. Dont bother asking about tours from the lady at the tourist desk as may be encroaching on her personal life. She was too engrossed in a personal mobile conversation when I went to get some information on tours. When I sat down at the desk she moved away from the desk to continue her personal conversation as if I was intruding on her. When she finished she didn't even bother to ask me if I needed any help even though I was sitting in front of her at her desk waiting to be served. My husband then went to another worker to ask about tours and he went to speak to the same lady but had no luck as well. Weird. However, most other staff were really friendly and helpful. My husband really regretted staying here as he reckons the rooms at the Tanoa are much better.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank bnthrdonethat
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed July 20, 2009

...great location, an oasis. Excellent staff, great bar. Easily walkable to downtown and Government sites.

• Stayed August 2006, traveled on business
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed July 18, 2009

Great hotel for those on business. Friendly, helpful staff. Good restaurant and bar with inside and outside dining. Good pool area. Rooms are great. Probably not all that good for holidaymakers, but who goes to Suva for a holiday!!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Grand Pacific Hotel
Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
Sheraton Fiji Resort
#7 of 8 in Denarau Island

Been to Holiday Inn Suva? Share your experiences!