Peninsula International Hotel
$108
$85
Priceline
  • Pool
Colo I Suva Rainforest Eco Resort(Suva)(Great Value!)
$38
$23
Agoda.com
$29
$255
$192
$295
$185
All reviewsrestaurant servicerental carroom for improvementstayed nightsvinaka
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I was only in Fiji for 2 nights to attend a family commitment and decided to stay at a budget location as I did not intend to spend much time here. Only coming back to sleep.

The room was very basic. The bedding was not of good quality. Rooms were cleaned daily but can't expect a thorough job. Did notice some roaches etc but I guess given climate and not being a full sealed air con room, they can't be avoided.
We were sleeping near the pool and a rugby game was being televised and there was too much noise coming in.

Its in front of a busy road so expect some noise. Taxi's all know this place and easy to flag 1 down the road. Staff will also help arrange one for you and they are quite polite and helpful.

Security is also available at the rear entrance which makes it safer. No safes etc so Don't leave anything expensive in the room.
Travelled in november 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank exfiji
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 16, 2013

Thank you for your comments.

Since your visit in November 2012, the rooms on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors have been renovated. Most of the rooms now have personal safes however any valuables may still be left at the Reception and placed in the hotel safe. A receipt is given for such instances.

Rooms are continually sprayed for cockroaches.

The new hours for the Pool Bar on a weekday basis are from 2pm – 8pm and Saturday/Sunday 10am – 4pm. All rugby games are now shown in our Sports Bar on the 2nd Floor only.

I am very pleased at the comments given about the staff being polite and helpful.

The security is available at the front and back entrances of the hotel from 5pm – 8am 7 days a week.

I hope that you will visit us again and look forward to further comments.

Reviewed August 6, 2013

We could hardly wait to get out of this hotel. I have read through the reviews of other guests, and the Manager's responses, which bemoan the fact that complaints are not reported to Reception (which would have remedied the problems and ensured an enjoyable stay). If other guests had similar experiences to us, then they would have made complaints to Reception, bar staff, whoever, but we found staff totally unresponsive - see nothing, hear nothing, know nothing, promise nothing. Our first experience was naturally when we arrived and asked if we could leave our luggage since we were a couple of hours early. The Receptionist was unwelcoming - certainly no smile - and agreed we could store our luggage (two small bags) in an area of the office and informed us we couldn't check in until 2pm. Since we didn't have a car and the Peninsula is quite a walk from the centre we decided to walk into town and have a look at other hotels. Unfortunately the Holiday Inn, where we had a great buffet lunch, was full the following night, but we made a booking at the Southern Cross, which was within easy walking distance of the centre of Suva and the Receptionists were an absolute delight. Back to the Peninsula - Room 209. Only one towel and a bath mat, the pool bar was closed. The information in the room indicated that there were two guest laundries - we were advised they were not available. One of them was right opposite our room and seemed to be in operation fairly constantly. I think double beds are not acceptable nowadays, especially for hotels professing to be of an international standard - queen is the minimal expectation. During the early part of the evening, while my husband was out, a young couple was checked into our room by Reception. I was reading on the bed - the only place to sit comfortably - and it took a few minutes to persuade the couple that the room had obviously been double booked, and I got there first! My husband had a look at the facilities and was amazed at the poor service in the pool bar, lack of advertised draught beer and general inefficiency of staff. We got absolutely no sleep during the night - noise from guests in the pool area (until 2.30am), it was hot, we were plagued by mosquitos, there was a lot of street and dog noise. In the morning there was no hot water - Reception advised they would 'look into it'. This was a standard response to any complaints, but we never heard further! We stayed in room 209.

Room Tip: Go to the Holiday Inn
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jakage
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Yes you are correct in that I always say "refer your complaint to the reception and it will be sorted". Unfortunately it appears that this time you received no response to your complaints to which I apologise. Also the fact that it appears that the room was inadvertently double booked. No doubt this was sorted. The staff have been spoken to about these items and I can assure you that any future complaints will be dealt with and a response given to the guest. The guest laundries are available for ironing purposes, with other guest laundry being sent to the hotel launderers. The security and the hotel Porter should have ensured that there was no noise coming from the pool area and this has been dealt with for the future. Unfortunately street and dog noise is beyond the control of the hotel but noise within the hotel compound should always be controlled by the hotel staff and security. I do hope that you will revisit the hotel in the future.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We checked in and checked out right after visiting the room. The room was very dirty. Bedcover and ottoman seems to have blood like stains. There were visible cockroaches crawling around.
We asked for a cot or rollaway bed and they brought in a single mattress that was very dirty - torn and stained.

DIRTY

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank TravelGuru411
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2013

Thank you for your comments concerning the quality of the room that you inspected. I have tried to contact you to determine the room number and date of your visit however to no avail. Without these details it is very hard to investigate further especially when there was no record of it at reception. No matter, I have spoken to my staff concerning your comments and requested them to ensure that the rooms are better maintained. If ever you are back in Fiji I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Stayed four nights in this so called international hotel, and discovered it was anything but,we would have left on viewing the room only there was no other half decent hotel available.the reception staff are sour faced and very unhelpful,not a good start,the rooms, where do i start honestly,there was a stink of mildew and damp in the bedrooms, we spoke with other unhappy guests and discovered the cielings had only one coat of patchy paint,i had to ring to get the windows cleanes as they were so very filthy,i was in the room on two ocassions when the cleaner came and noticed that no washing liquid was used to clean the utensils and plates,infact one fork had hard ingrained dirt between the prongs,yuk!.we ate at the restraunt and were overcharged and had to fight for a refund,while we ate we were subjected to one of the wait staff ladies sitting on the ground behind the desk picking her feet,seriously,unless absolutely desparate this place should be avoided as its awful and really depressing to stay in,the staff are lazy,sour and couldnt give a fig,especially the receptionist,management need to revisit exactly what it means to boast an international hotel standard as this nasty little place is anything but.very very disappointed.this place wouldnt last a day outside suva.

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank Lisa O
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2013

The complainant was in a group and booked four rooms. At no stage did they make any complaints to the reception desk during their stay, otherwise the complaints would have been dealt with. Possibly the other “unhappy” guests were from the same group.
At no time have there been any complaints against the Receptionists as far as the reception to guests are concerned. They are there to greet, smile no matter what the circumstances are, assist wherever possible and ensure that the guests are as comfortable and enjoy their stay as much as possible.
I have checked the room that the guest stayed in and have not found any mildew smell or dampness. Admittedly the ceiling could do with painting and in the next few weeks all the suite rooms on the ground floor will be repainted, however it is not as bad as what it is made out to be.
All windows in the units are meant to be cleaned by the housekeeper as part of their duties. The housekeepers have been reminded that this needs to be dealt with each time a room is serviced.
The episode in the restaurant was not of the staff making. The guest ordered soup that was not part of the daily menu and in turn cost 50cents more. There was never any request for a refund and in actual fact the guest refused to pay for the whole meal and another party eventually paid it on behalf.
As far as a waitress sitting on the floor behind the “desk picking her feet” I find this an unbelievable statement.
We have in the past received some reviews that have not been favorable however we have always attempted to lift the standard and fix any problems that have been referred to us, whether it be by the website or reception desk. I much prefer to hear through the reception so that they can be fixed immediately if able.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

Compared to what I saw in May 2012 this time I travelled with my wife and again stayed at the Peninsula International ( 5th. in the last few years) The staff as allways were super. Tokasa who took care of room#114 made us feel at home away from home.Siteri who took care of me in May 2012 made us feel as if I had never left the Hotel. Very sincerely your staff, my good friends are an excellent ambassdors of the hotel.

The improvement made to the rooms are very positive and am sure that in a few short months once completed the Hotel will be the best accomodation in the Suva area.

The complimentary breakfast was very nice and adequate.

Vinaka vakalevu.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 6, 2013

I wish to thank you on behalf of my team for your comments in your review. These have been passed onto the staff concerned. It is very good to know that the staff looked after you during your stay with us.

We always strive to give the best results to our guests and are continuing to look for improvement.

Over the next few weeks all deluxe and standard rooms will be renovated on the 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors.

I look forward to welcoming you back to our establishment on your next visit.