“I would not recommend this anyone, even my worst enemy”

Peninsula International Hotel
Peninsula International Hotel
Ranked #10 of 13 Hotels in Suva
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“I would not recommend this anyone, even my worst enemy”
Reviewed July 11, 2012

The room was dark with old yellow bulbs and I could not read any newspaper. No side table lamp and although it was a hotel, but no ironing board and iron.

There was no glass to drink water and once the hot water was not on.

The chair was rusty and there were bad marks on it. There was no head board.

I had to write a complaint in hand writing for light and side table...Although I stayed for 8 days but could not sleep better as the mattress was very old. This was my worst experience of travel life , out of 134 hotels/motels all over the world. Swimming pool is small and not suitable for young children.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank marshad363
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this review, August 7, 2012
The lighting in all the rooms is gradually being changed starting with the standard rooms. The “old yellow bulbs” are being replaced with warm white bulbs which are brighter.
All the standard rooms are to be fitted with a head board and side lights for reading. This however will take a little time as we have half the hotel to do. The hotel does not supply an ironing board and iron in each room however we do have an ironing room available for the guest’s usage.
My understanding from the housekeeper was that there were three glasses available in the room.
There are 100 rooms in the hotel and hot water available is not totally available to every room at once however after a short time it does become available.

The complaint that was lodged was left at reception on the day of checking out. All items complained about have now been checked and will be rectified, some taking a little more time than others.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Apia, Samoa
Reviewed May 25, 2012

The rooms are basic as they come. The disappointment started when i opened up the folded bath mat to find that it was frayed and ripped almost in half hence the fold. The second bath mat during my stay was full of holes. On comparing notes with other friends also staying there confirmed that this was similar to what they had in their rooms. Perhaps management could take a good look at their housekeeping and provide some new towels and bathmats. And while they're at it, provide some face cloths as well for the rooms. Was surprised to find that there was no iron in the room. The ironing room was untidy and could do with a water blasting.

The plus was the friendly and very accommodating kitchen staff. Loved the fresh "kokoda" with coriander. Food, was so-so and nothing to rave about. Again housekeeping /management may want to look at wiping down that dust on the chairs.

Gave up on the internet - bought a card for the wifi and did the circuit from the poolside, to my room on the fourth floor and back to the lobby and finally to the bar. The signal was non-existent despite efforts by one of the staff members to try and connect. The following morning i tried the filthy internet cafe. It took twenty minutes to try and log on and when i did, I couldnt upload the google mail page. I gave up in disgust and left for my meeting.

The guest laundry was closed at 5pm. Just brilliant given that we were out all day and only returned at 5pm. Management need to look at leaving this service open much longer to accommodate for the guests who are out at meetings all day.

Whilst checking out after a week, a friend and I listened to the annoying ringing phone for a while, whilst one staff member was dealing with a client. Another staff member stood by idly doing absolutely nothing, and could have picked up the phone. Management should look at proper training for their staff. That phone shouldn't ring more than 3 times. Being an energy conscious individual, i switched off the ac and lights every morning, to return to an icebox of a room. This annoyed me very much for the sheer waste of energy let alone the cost savings that the hotel could have. The last two days, the ac control was gone. The floor was wet, with standing water around the bed.

This property has great potential with a good clean up to spruce it up. A good wipe down of the dust can make a difference without costing an arm and a leg. The bar had comfortable seats and is a bit modern looking Prices were very good and attractive.

Overall, the staff were friendly. Highly recommend that management note the above and do something about it as this hotel has great potential given its location and proximity to the CBD.

and finally, beware of the electronic keys.... they tend not to work often so when u stagger home after a good nite out, be prepared to be locked out. I was advised that this is due to the key been kept close to your phone!!! This is a first for me.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank maligiking
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this review, June 5, 2012
Thank you for your comments regards your stay in the hotel.
It is normal practice not to place any damaged linen in the rooms and unfortunately on this occasion a torn bathmat was placed in the room by mistake. Any damaged items have now been removed from our hotel stock, so that this unfortunate incident will not take place again. New towels were purchased some months ago however each week there are always towels etc that go missing. The hotel at this stage does not provide individual irons in the rooms.
The comment concerning dust on the restaurant chairs has been noted and staff has been requested to ensure that the chairs are clean at all times. On completion of renovations in the restaurant over the next couple of months the chairs are to be replaced. The restaurant not only has ala carte menus for lunch and dinner but we also have specials on a daily basis for both sittings.
Comments made concerning the non-existent signal for the Wifi. I have been advised from my Operations Manager that the signal was okay, with the problem being with the laptop. The internet room is cleaned every day by the housemaid or porter but at times guests have left their rubbish in the room after use. The porter normally checks the room on a regular basis.
The laundry room on the 4th floor is a linen room and an ironing room as well and is closed when the maid finishes work at 5pm. The laundry room on the 2nd floor is just an ironing room and is open 24 hours for the guest’s usage.
On the day when the “guests were listening to the annoying ringing phone for a while”, only one receptionist was on duty at the time and was dealing with another guest. “The other staff member standing by doing absolutely nothing” was the hotel Purchasing Officer on a phone extension placing the hotel orders with our head office. Phones are answered as soon as practical, however we try and sort out our guests first and as quickly as possible. The hotel normally has two receptionists on duty on each of the three shifts, however at times one of the staff may have to leave the reception area for one reason or another.
It is appreciated that guests do turn off their air conditioners when they are away for the day. However when the rooms are serviced on completion the floors are washed and the air conditioners are then turned on to help dry the floors. We have had comments in the past that when the housemaid has left the air conditioners off, the floor has still been a little wet from cleaning. So it is very difficult to determine what each guest prefers.
At times the locks on the doors do cause problems with opening and over the next few months all locks will be replaced. There are many reasons why door locks do not work, moisture from air conditioners, humidity and the closeness of key cards to mobile phones.

Management apologises for any inconvenience that may have occurred.

All complaints are taken seriously and are rectified as soon as possible.
Sacramento, California
Reviewed May 18, 2012

This was my third stay at this hotel in the past 5 years, The room 316 had a very poor lightings- could hardly read my news papers. The shower water leaked into the passage. There is no reading lamp. The staff did try to make my stay very homely but the very room was dull. No deceny place to even put the coffee maker to brew coffee. Shower very tight spot.

Siteri and all the supporting staff including the dinning room staff my hats off for trying to make my stay as homely as possible. Because of you I will surely come atleast one more time.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank bas32999
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Thank you for comments on the quality of the rooms and the staff. Your comments regarding the staff has been passed on.
In acknowledgement of your concerns re the standard of the rooms, over the next few months all the standard rooms will have bed heads fitted with a side lamp for reading together with an extra power point for the charging of mobile phones etc. I will also be looking into the extra power point to enable a more central location to assist with the tea/coffee making facility.
The leakage of water from the shower to the "passage" is being looked into.
As General Manager your comments are very much appreciated and I endeavour to fix all problems that our guests bring to our attention.
I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Madang, Madang, Papua New Guinea
Reviewed March 28, 2012

This was my first impression of Fiji in 2002(options for dates only go as far as a yr back) when my family and I transfered there, we spent a few days here before moving into our home. The staff were very generous, the rooms well clean and it was overall, a very pleasant place to stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this review, March 30, 2012
It is very much appreciated to hear that your stay with us was excellent and that the staff and premises were up to your standard and that you have given the hotel such a high rating. We do our utmost to ensure that all our guests enjoy their stay with us and I look forward to having you stay with us again.
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed April 10, 2011

This hotel is horrible! We spent about 10 minutes here before we checked out and headed to another hotel. We were not impressed right from the start. The hallway outside our room reeked of urine and was very dark and our room was not much better. The beds were damp and the sheets had blood and other stains on them. The room reeked and the ceiling had a large black area on it - we thought it might be mold and that was enough for us to want to leave. When we requested a new room at the service desk we were informed that we would have to stay the night in that room and then maybe we could get a new room in the morning. We picked option two - take our business elsewhere. In a word this place was gross!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank howitzer_ca
carl_perrin018, General Manager at Peninsula International Hotel, responded to this review, July 3, 2011
It is a pity that we have no record of the guest who complained nor the room number so that I can investigate further the comments that were made.

Any complaint received is fully investigated and resolved so that we can achieve better results for the future.

Travelers are raving about these Suva hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Suva
Holiday Inn Suva
Tanoa Plaza Suva
#6 of 13 in Suva
Quest Apartments-Suva
Novotel Suva Lami Bay

Been to Peninsula International Hotel? Share your experiences!