“One of the best hotel experiences ever”
Review of Bedarra Beach Inn

Bedarra Beach Inn
Ranked #1 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed February 3, 2014

I've stayed in fancier hotels, in more expensive hotels, and in hotels with more contemporary facilities, but none has managed to beat this hotel.

First a quick disclaimer: my wife and I stayed for five nights in January 2014 on our first holiday without kids for... a couple of decades. So there may be rose-tinted opinions mixed with the facts.

We ate dinner and breakfast there each day and the quality of the food was pretty good. Not Heston Blumenthal, but a nice way with fresh local ingredients.

The deluxe room was spacious with a fan and aircon, and a balcony from which, with a bit of a lean, we could see the lagoon. The ensuite shower room was clean although Gen Y might struggle with the dated tap ware.

The hotel is positioned on the other side of the road from the beach (which is okay if you wear something on your feet to avoid coral rash) and there is a nice little grass sward with deck chairs under palm trees where you can relax and listen to the waves on the reef. People will bring you cocktails, if you ask.

From all the descriptions we struggled to understand the position of this hotel. The thing is that when the Outrigger resort was built, the main road was diverted through the hills behind the hotel, which means that although the hotel is separated from the beach by a road, it is now a cul de sac and sees perhaps a couple of dozens mini buses and taxis each day. Traffic is not a problem here.

Now on to the magic ingredient. The staff are wonderful. Friendly and charming without being all over you. Helpful when you need advice, and musical almost all the time: a welcome song, a farewell song, songs in the evening. No piped music here.

So, we loved this hotel, but others may not. The guests were mostly middle-aged couples, however there were also a couple of families with teenagers, a couple of 20-somethings on overspill from a wedding at the Outrigger and an extended family staying on after a wedding. Everyone seemed very happy. As I say, we loved it, however if you need a TV in your room, there are none. If you need contemporary brown-du-jour designer flourishes, look elsewhere. If you want anonymity, rather than feeling like you been adopted by the most hospitable family in the world, a bigger place will fit the bill.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
7  Thank Jerry_Cornell
There are newer reviews for Bedarra Beach Inn

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Just returned from a 5 night stay with our 11yo granddaughter. Our room was spacious & well kept & enjoyed a nice view over pool & beach. Pool was excellent & kept us busy for many hours.
Really enjoyed the Restaurant ( & Happy Hour !! ). The menu & meals were varied & extensive & very reasonably priced.
The really outstanding feature of the place however are the friendly, smiling staff , who can't do enough for you .
We have been frequent visitors to Fiji over the years & this place is right up there at the top for value & friendly service.

Room Tip: Room 12 is spacious, with pool & beach view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I had the privilege of staying here for five nights in January. While the heavy rains and flooding dampened my spirits a little, the Bedarra Beach Inn kept me grinning ear to ear. I have stayed in so many hotels in my travels and I can say without hesitation that this was one of the more memorable stays I've ever had ANYWHERE.
I had read great reviews about Bedarra and that is why I ultimately chose staying here, but I was very nervous because Sigatoka seemed too far from the airport and I was a bit nervous about driving. I rented a car for the week and the (roughly) 90 minute drive from Nadi Airport was such a lovely drive. I'm SO glad I didn't stay the week in Nadi. The county is as lush and green as any I've ever visited. I was so happy to arrive at the hotel and the weather was perfect when I did. I was greeted with a cold drink and friendly service from the moment I walked in. I was also given the "Honeymoon Suite" which was an extra bonus! The grounds of the property are spotless and the landscapers take great care in their work and it shows. The beach is 15 steps away from the property. While the beach is small, it's incredibly peaceful. I was unwinding from two weeks in Australia and NZ and needed some SERIOUS alone time and nothing could have been better than Bedarra. The staff is amazing. They all take time to learn your name and will chat with you the whole time. The cafe/ restaurant was a dream come true. I ate every breakfast, lunch and dinner there and couldn't have been happier. It's probably the best food in Fiji. My first night I had the Cajun Ahi which was so delicious. Every meal I left stuffed and excited for the next! I MUST recommend the passion fruit cheesecake. I wanted to try all their desserts but was truly addicted to this one in particular and ordered it five nights in a row!
I will say one more thing... to me, this felt more like a honeymoon or "REALLY RELAX" type hotel and it was PERFECT for that. There were two couples staying at the same time as me and while their babies were cute, they would get very loud and annoying sometimes. It's hard to relax and enjoy a nice meal on the beach with a one year old screaming and throwing her food on the ground. I'm sure the Bedarra is nothing but gracious to families, but I feel this hotel is better suited for couples, solo travelers looking to relax, and honeymooners.
I can't say enough good things about this hotel. It is the ONLY hotel I'd even consider upon a return visit to Fiji. Please forget about money and just treat yourself to the best hotel in the South Pacific! If you don't mind staying in the Coral Coast region, you MUST stay here. A thousand "vinakas" to the staff and owners of this absolutely stellar establishment!!!

Room Tip: I would HIGHLY recommend the Honeymoon Suite which is room 9. I think it is the only room with a wra...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
4  Thank zachgillman
Reviewed February 1, 2014

This is the place to be if you want a quiet resort where the staff remember your name and even what you had ordered for breakfast the preceding day! The beach was always uncrowded and this is the perfect place for children because it is possible to walk a long way out before the water becomes deep. The hotel provides reef shoes, snorkelling equipment, kayaks and towels for the beach and is always ready to advise about trips to take. It is perhaps unfair to single out anyone by name because everyone was so helpful and pleasant - but look out for Vani who is on reception who is unfailingly patient and smiley and who gave me a big hug when we left,

Reviewed January 23, 2014

I stayed in hundred hotels. Bedarra Beach Inn, nevertheless, is allocated even against fine hotels with the spirit of magnificent hospitality.
The spacious rooms provided with all to necessary, the equipment completely in working order.
The personnel is exclusively competent and friendly, it is possible to organize many excursions.
On the coast there is an huge coral reef which is suitable for a snorkeling both during inflow, and during outflow.
The hotel, undoubtedly, deserves to spend 1 hour 40 minutes from the airport.
I recommend without the slightest doubt !
Why not 10 points, but only 9,5?
Because there is no limit to perfection!

1  Thank MikhailYekaterinburg
Reviewed January 19, 2014

We booked a deluxe room at Bedarra Beach Inn for six nights during January 2014. We booked the accommodation through Expedia after reading many great recommendations on Tripadvisor. Having travelled to Fiji on numerous occasions, we were familiar with the Coral Coast and as a result travelled to our accommodation by rental car.

Upon arrival, the Bedarra was exactly as described with an inviting pool, divine lounge chairs, luscious manicured gardens and a well maintained exterior. We checked in and received a refreshing welcome drink before heading to our room located on the second floor of the main building.

Our room was spacious, tastefully decorated and very clean with fresh cut flowers, a comfortable bed and superb air-conditioning. The amenities were simple however reflected good value for the standard of accommodation booked.

The restaurant projected a great ambiance at night time and the menu had a good variety of meals available from casual pizza to more substantial food. The beverage list was simplistic and the wine-list featured mid-range wines predominately from Australia at reasonable prices.

Happy Hour was well patronised and whilst the cocktails were nice, an opportunity exists for less creamy cocktails. More refreshing cocktails would go down a treat. The Beach Boys offered excellent entertainment throughout the night and contributed to the overall experience.

During our stay we experienced a number of minor issues which needed to be addressed to make the remainder of our stay more comfortable. We raised our concerns with David, one of the stakeholders to explain the situation. David was very responsive and all of the issues were resolved without question. Our remaining stay was exceptional and we acknowledge David and his team for making the remainder of our stay memorable.

Overall we enjoyed our Fiji experience and would definitely recommend Bedarra Beach Inn

Places you should visit: Eco Cafe, Sigatoka Village for local shopping, Road-side fruit stalls, Taste Kitchen Fiji (Nadi). Also you should buy as many local products as you can from the villages rather than through more commercial stores such as Jacks, Tappoo etc as the money goes directly back to the villages.

2  Thank cellardoorwine
Reviewed January 18, 2014

The Bedarra Beach Inn is a boutique style hotel rather than a big resort. The room is very clean & large for both the bedroom & bathroom. There is a small balcony, safe & fridge. There is a lovely spot across the road where you can lie on a lounge, read & watch the tide go in & out. We would recommend taking reef shoes so you can wander when the tide is low. Upon arrival & departure the local band sings you a song & the service from the staff was very good. There is a good menu & we really enjoyed our Christmas Day dinner. The billing system was very efficient meaning no hassles at the end of your stay. There are a number of eating/drinking options close by which makes for a good location. We enjoyed the company of our driver Pillay who transferred us from the airport & we requested he take us back. We would stay at the Bedarra Beach again.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank CricketGirlDarwin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Bedarra Beach Inn? Share your experiences!