“Nice place to stay, but ...”

Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
Ranked #9 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We agree with most of the other positive comments so we won't repeat them. We had a nice relaxing time but there are some annoyances. The following should better prepare you if you decide to stay there.

- we paid for 5 nights in the “all inclusive villa” (direct to Namuka Resort on the web) and received a free night but this apparently did not include meals (not told to you before booking). We were charged for six extra meals just before leaving! (approx. $20 FJD each). We felt this was unfair, especially, since we were away from the resort for three days traveling and did not eat six lunches which we had paid for).
- there isn't much coral or fish to see while snorkelling, much of it is either dead or broken and what's left is not very colourful. The reef is very shallow which makes it only practical to snorkel at high tide but you will still need to be very careful that you don't get scratched by the coral. One lady received quite a few scratches on her stomach while we were there, we hope she doesn't get permanent scaring. (We had our own equipment so can’t comment on their equipment). If you get coral cuts/scratches rinse them thoroughly under clean water and disinfect with hydrogen peroxide as soon as possible. It's not possible to swim out past the coral wave break where you might be able to snorkel in the open sea. It's highly recommended that you bring Croc rubber shoes for walking on the beach (lots of sharp broken coral) and also for swimming.
- the showers in the Beach Front Villa's don't have much pressure and sometimes don't have hot water (one hot water system shared by two rooms). The shower is outside of the villa without a roof so it can be cold from wind and rain drops from the roof.
- the beds are quite short, so if you're over 170cm it will be a little uncomfortable.
- we could hear the other couple coughing through the wall that separates the rooms in the villa.
- transportation to the resort is awkward because it is about 6klms (seems much longer) along a rough, hilly dirt road off the main road so you can forget about walking especially if you have luggage. We paid $100 FJD for a taxi from Nandi Airport which is about an hour long trip. A cheaper option would be to get a taxi from the airport to Nadi (pronounced Nandi) for FJD $15 and an express bus to Cuvu (closest town just past the resort - pronounced Duvu) for about FJD $20 and get a carrier (un-marked local taxi to the resort for $10 or $12 FJD). 99% of taxi's will try to overcharge you, so find out what you should pay from a reliable source (a local perhaps) before you take one, and get the safest looking one. It's not recommended that you take a minibus as they often are involved in accidents from speeding to make more money. Almost every trip we took we saw an accident. One head-on accident we saw involved a govt car which was speeding that ended up on its side on fire - two dead, and two injured in the other car. On our way back to the airport we were almost involved in a head-on collision when a speeding car was overtaking on a blind bend, luckily our taxi driver reacted in time by braking heavily and swerving half way off the road. The main road around the island is in very poor condition. We only saw one bicycle and one motorbike the whole time (in about 12 hours of travelling on the main island to Nadi, Suva, etc.) and I personally wouldn't attempt it. We caught an express bus to Suva (3hrs one way) nothing to see there, the museum is less than ordinary, wouldn’t recommend it at all. Nadi is good for shopping (again don’t pay label price for anything, start haggling at 40% or less – some souvenir shops you can start at 10% or even less). Sigatoka hill fort and sand dunes are interesting – pay about $20 for a taxi to take you to these from Sigatoka town, they are not far from town. Watch out for scams while in the towns, don’t tell your name to men who will carve it into a knife so you must buy it, don’t donate money for a school library collected by “student” not in uniform.
- be sure to select a kayak without holes in the bottom, the ones with holes will fill up quickly making them uncontrollable and you are likely to get a nasty coral cut when you fall onto the sharp, shallow coral beds. They are extremely heavy so you will probably need help getting them into the water.
- only one small bar of soap is provided in the sink and no shampoo or conditioner, so make sure you take those. Two towels are provided but you can ask for more.
- of course we brought our own duty free alcohol (and mixers), there is no fridge in the room but other guests asked to keep theirs in the kitchen fridge. The water from the kitchen is ok to drink (never drank the sink water in the room) and tastes quite good. We brought our own bottles of (Fiji) water for convenience. We took snacks with us but didn't really eat them as the meals filled us up. There is a small supermarket in Duvu were you can get supplies.
- no mosquitoes in the room or the villa porch (in August) but we did get bitten a bit while eating in the open dining area in front of the kitchen.
- when visiting the cave take a pair of glasses (if you wear them) because you won't see much with sunglasses in a dark cave. If you go with one of the staff they will provide torches. If your legs are sensitive you may get rashes or itchiness walking through the long grass wearing shorts.
- book your horse ride well in advance, we missed out as they only do it for a single person per day (only one saddle available).
- the vegetable garden had been moved since the last big floods so isn't very big and is very "informal" and probably doesn't produce much.

Room Tip: It may be cheaper to not get the inclusive meal package if you don't eat three meals per day.
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
9  Thank Beachabout
There are newer reviews for Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort

Reviewed July 10, 2012

If you are travelling to Fiji u MUST MUST MUST stay at Namuka Bay Resort. It was the most amazing ten night holiday of my life and we are already planning our return next year!

Where to begin:
-The people-the most amazing "family" of people work at Namuka Bay and they continuously do anything and everything to make your stay lovely. From surprise birthday cakes for my friend on her birthday, to bonfires on the beach, amazing day trips to the mountains, mud springs, fireshow, horseriding and walks to the ancient cave, rigging up the TV aerial and watching the football with me and for arranging fresh coconuts, sugar cane, pineapple and prawns on our request. Every memeber of the staff goes out of their way to make your stay amazing.

-The location-situated on a natural lagoon with fantastic snorkelling and golden sands with a backdrop of beautiful rainforests and too many coconut trees to count. It is the perfect environment to relax, recharge and reconnect. It's isolation from other tourists actually makes the holiday more special and if you are worried about being cut off from society, Rez or Mr Ali will be happy to take you into town with them and their are many day trips available for a very cheap price.

-The food-amazing amazing AMAZING! Every meal is fantastic and will have you bursting at the seams. They will bring it up to your balcony or you can go down to the restaurant/bar and enjoy your fine cusiine there.

This was such an amazing holiday in every way. BOOK AT NAMUKA BAY RESORT AND IT WILL EXCEED ALL YOUR EXPECTATIONS!

Room Tip: Ask for one of the beach front villas. You will wake up to the most amazing view each morning.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Peter D
Reviewed June 26, 2012

This place is amazing! All the food is grown on site and the fish are caught fresh. It is a true Fiji experience. You can participate in bonfires on the beach and lovo and cava ceremonies. The views are breath taking, the accomadations are comfy and welcoming, and the staff is there to assist you in any way. You can visit caves, hike, see ancient ruins, snorkle, kayak, learn to line fish, go horseback riding, or just lay in a hammock. You need to be prepared to be virtually closed off from the rest of the world. There is no internet or phone service and you only have electricity from 6 p.m. to 6 a.m. everyday. This turned out to be one of the reasons I loved this place so much. You have to relax and just enjoy the Fijian lifestyle. :)

Room Tip: Stay in a beach villa. It is worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Sara R
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been travelling now for 7 months and this has to be the most amazing place I have been. After reading some of the comments I was unsure, bbut once I arrived I was soooo glad I had chosen this place. The beach is the most beautiful I have ever seen. Everyday my brother and I walked there I felt privileged. Why? Because, firstly we had our very own coral on our doorstep (we were the only two snorkeling on the beach!) and secondly the water was crystal clear. It was the beach I had dreamed of seeing whilst travelling.
Now, back to the hotel. This hotel is unlike any other I have stayed …in a good way. The service is more than 5 star as you feel so welcomed and anything you ask for they will be more than happy to provide. We had friends staying at other very expensive hotels nearby and I have to say the food at Namuka was in my opinion better… this is because it is traditional home cooked Fijian food and it is something special – I could eat bacon and eggs or sushi anywhere in the world, but the fish in lolo and breakfast at Namuka was amazing. This was always accompanied by freshly picked fruit and all served on a beautiful and tranquil terrace. (I will add at this point that I am half Italian and my dad is a chef so I am fussy, but this food was lovely and the portions ample!)
The accommodation is of a great standard. This is a new resort and as yet relatively undiscovered so everything is very clean and well maintained. We saw the dorms which were better than 80% of the hostels I have seen and the villa was amazing. There are few places you can stay and fall asleep listening to the waves crashing on the coral!!
Finally, the staff. I would like to thank all of them on behalf of my brother and I. Mr and Mrs Ali (the owners) are sooo accommodating! I read a review about additional charges – THIS IS NOT TRUE! They make so much effort to meet your needs and if you need transfers as we did, provide a much cheaper and reliable service. Silvia, Zee and Rez do a wonderful job in the kitchen; Simon is a very friendly, kind and knowledgeable guy and organized a great tour for us to the caves; Sosi and Solo made a great lovo and were always smiling and very helpful!! THANKS FOR A GREAT TIME FROM MARCO AND ALEX!
This is a wonderful place and so good in fact I am going back for another week next week!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Segoviano81
Reviewed June 11, 2012

I must say I was quite shocked when I first arrived at Namuka bay not really expecting what I experienced. The location is mint, the most beautiful coral coast, not a single person in sight, no big tourist building just absolute serenity. I enjoyed the remoteness and tranquility. The staff are so lovely and helpful and the food is delicious. I was very blessed that I accidentally booked Namuka because I got to experience Fiji lifestyle at its finest.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Cairnstravller
Reviewed May 13, 2012

My partner Peter and I stayed in Namuka for 5 nights and we did not want to leave at all on the last day. We loved almost everything about the resort. In Namuka, I fufilled my dreams of riding a horse on the beach. It is a very relaxing place with extremly friendly and helpful staff. Reeze cooked us delicious meals, drove us to hotsprings, lead us to see the cave which belongs to the resort. And, he took us many awsome photos as well.

Sulvia is polite and cheerful. She ensured that we had our needs catered for. I loved the beautiful flowers she gave me and her lovely smile always.

We enjoyed doing kayaking and snorkelling, and also enjoyed relaxing in the hammocks. We just wish we could have stayed longer. But never mind, we know that we will return.

Room Tip: Beach front villa has a great view overlooking the ocean
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lida L
Reviewed January 17, 2012

I absolutely loved staying at the Namuka Bay Lagoon. I was in Fiji by myslef for just four nights on a visa run, and stayed 3 nights a namuka bay. It was perfect for what I wanted for my time in Fiji...a quiet beautiful beach, good food, friendly staff, and a balcony overlooking the ocean.
Would definitely recommend staying here! Easy to get to, either a transfer for 150FJD one way (too much to pay for one person) or the local bus to Suva, approx 45 mins and 5FJD. Then a short $10 taxi ride from the cuvo police post. The food served was lovely and fresh, and a good selection. As a reminder of what others have said, there really is nothing around, i.e shops/restaurants to walk to so important to know before booking!
Overall a great time in Fiji and would come back to Namuka Bay Lagoon.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Viclou_12
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
The Pearl Resort
The Pearl Resort
#4 of 5 in Pacific Harbour

Been to Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort? Share your experiences!