“Very nice quiet place to relax”
Review of Tambua Sands

Tambua Sands
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
3532 Zaeziwil
“Very nice quiet place to relax”
Reviewed November 2, 2011

We were 3 nights there and we had a wonderfull stay, good price and service level.

Room Tip: Bayfront Bures are more quiet, its away from the road
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Czech first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 27, 2011

Mt wife and I stayed in this resort for 7 days mid October 2011. We had a deluxe bure almost on the beach. The bure was light and airy, had wooden window shutters, very high ceiling with fan, but no aircon. Beds were comfortable and in contrast to the accommodation we had earlier on this trip, everything worked except the in-room safe (we left our valuables in the safe at the reception). Hairdryer was provided upon request, also extra glasses and beach towels. There was no phone, no radio, no TV, nor any other electronic devices or receptacles for such. There was no entertainment, and one song sounded from faulty equipment from 7 am to 10 pm. There was a Tour Desk, operated by Rosies, of which we availed ourselves.The pool has a generous size with plenty of grass areas and sun lounges. Swimming in the sea is possible at high tide, but snorkeling requires a costly $49 boat ride. The property borders on the Queens road, therefore 30 meters from reception you are able to catch a ride with local buses or the Nadi-Suva Express bus for which time tables are available from the receptionist.
Breakfast is minimalistic, boring, lacking choice and variety, and if you want a ham, egg, and cheese omelet for example, you pay extra for the cheese. Fresh fruit seems to be alien. Similarly there was a very limited lunch and dinner menu, and of the three or four choices on offer, sometimes two thereof were not available. Staff was friendly enough, but anxious to keep their jobs, as this place was purchased by the Warwick Group, and is earmarked for major development in the new year. The village next door provides most of the workers and they hope for the best.

Room Tip: Only suitable for a short stay on the way when traveling along the coast. Expect the rise of a 5 sta...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank happypeter43
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed October 16, 2011

I went here for 6 days on my own. I arrived at 9.50pm and the reception staff were waiting for me so they could go home. They made me feel bad that they had to wait for me. The bar was also closed (luckily I got water and coke at airport).

There is no shop on site or anywhere near. A bottle of water at the bar was 8fjd!

Next morning I went for breakfast and had to guess what was available as there was no menu. They didn't even have melon which I thought was weird!

I booked three tours/activities - what a complete rip off! One of them was supposed to be a half day tour visiting three sites. I was made to wait all day until they decided they were ready to take me at 2.30pm then we only visited one site. On the way back the driver told me to wait for him at the pub while he cleaned his car for 15 mins - which was actually 45 mins and two very expensive drinks later.

I paid $50 for guided sorkelling which was basically one of the local villagers taking me 500m down the beach to the "protected marine area". He gave me a broken snorkel and we basically waded around in the water for an hour.

The first evening I met a guest (another female single lady) and some locals. The locals were friendly but I was hassled so much into putting some of their drinks on my hotel tab. One night I didn't go into the bar and the locals persisted in trying to get me to go to the bar drinking with them (obviously to hassle me to put drinks on my tab).

My bure was towards the local village at the far end of the resort much to my uneasiness. Surely the reception staff should have allocated a bure nearer the main building - it wasn't as if the place was packed as I only saw three other guests all week. All week local men were over friendly and did not go away from sitting outside on my varanda even though I asked them several times to politely go away.

The whole place had an unnerving feel about it and it was was almost as if all the staff (as there were no management there) were out to rip you off or set you up in some way.

If you are female and are considering going to Fiji - DO NOT go to this place!!!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Tamsin741
Tauranga
Reviewed October 4, 2011

We stayed at Tambua Sands resort in May this year - the first time we had visited. Organised a private transfer from airport. The typical individual Fijian Bures were lovely with wooden shutters and mossie netting, so we could have fresh air in the room. We were right on the beachfront and the setting was great. No TV or radio but very comfortable - wireless internet reception in lounge/dining area. That never bothers us anyway. Unfortunately there was only one other couple staying in the Resort and so we mostly rattled around on our own, relaxed in the sun and swam in the sea. The pool looked inviting but we didnt use it. Meals were very good but we often had to find a staff member to attend to us. We were told that the Warwick group had bought this resort and were upgrading it - then it would become an exclusive adults only resort. This is a pity as families would enjoy the beach/swimming etc. Snorkelling was not good - over the years the snorkelling in Fiji has dropped off - even going on a snorkelling trip is not as it used to be - fish are much smaller - obviously they are being fished out! We would visit the resort again but will wait to see the results after it is upgraded. It was not an expensive resort but then there were basic facilities - very relaxing though.

Room Tip: Wait and see the results after major rennovations this year.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lita-Tauranga
Sunshine Coast QLD
Reviewed September 3, 2011

We stayed here for a special surprise holiday for my wife's birthday and it was fantastic.

The resort is small and exactly what we were after, quiet with lovely older style beach side Bures and the staff were as you would expect in Fiji.... warm and friendly.

A big thank you to the Manager Jack Stark and Ben the chef for looking after us and organising the beautiful birthday cake which made the visit all the more memorable.

If you are looking for the real Fiji and not an over the top flash resort then consider the Tambua Sands...just remember to pack your sense of humour and reef shoes for the coral beach.

We visited in August 2011 and the resort was starting its new upgrading program and one new Bure had been built, it is very nice and modern with its own plunge pool so I can see in the very near future a lot of changes happening for the good but I hope for all the refurbishment Tambua Sands retains the lovely Fijian charm and hospitality we enjoyed.

I look forward to my return visit in the next few years.

Thanks again Jack couldn't have asked for more.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Maybole
Reviewed May 22, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for a week in November 2010 and I have wanted to write a review since we came back to the cold dark UK, but I could not find the words. Now that it is a bright warm spring day I find it easier to remember our idyllic visit to Tambua Sands Resort.
We arrived in the by night and endured a long and none too quick or comfortable taxi journey from the airport at Nadia, my wife Kathleen was a bit grisly, well her luggage had been left behind in Australia and this was the second occurrence of this on our retirement, round the world, trip.
The Tambu Sands hotel restaurant was closing but the staff obliged and remained open to cook us a meal and we felt a little better, although Kathleen was still contemplating another 28 hours without clean clothes and her many and various beauty products!!
It was raining lightly and with little conviction as we returned to our beach bure, still in the dark, but with the sound of Pacific Surf clear in the night air, we wondered what view would have in the morning.
We slept well with the natural air conditioning of a gentle cooling breeze coming in through the window slats; and realized that this would not bring in small flying pests to bight us as we slumbered because of the insect proof netting on all window openings
I woke early and looked out of the front door – STUNNING- the Pacific surf was breaking against the coral reef about 150 meters from the shore line, this left a calm and clear lagoon at our disposal for swimming, snorkeling or just sitting looking at all day long.
There were coconut palms bending against the sky and there was luscious green grass at our feet, the place was paradise, no it was better than that if that's possible.
We loved the resort, we loved Sigatoga the nearest town and the Fijians were the most calm and pleasant people I have met.
I hope, one day, to go back to the South Pacific, to Fiji, to that beach, to those stunning sunsets, to those friendly people, oh, and my wife's case eventually arrived but who cared?
After a week we arrived back in Scotland and it was snowing and only now that the sun is back can I clearly remember that wonderful visit to the other side of the world.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Amurray49
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed May 18, 2011

this place was awesome, came to relax with my family and i really enjoyed it especially the most incredible sea view..it was stunning! and definitely loved the room price, it was cheap and worth it.. love this place, will definitely come back to it

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank bujuju
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Bedarra Beach Inn
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Tambua Sands? Share your experiences!