“Great Hike”

and up
Full-Day Coral Coast Tour
Ranked #3 of 25 things to do in Sigatoka
More attraction details
Owner description: Sculptured through the workings of wind, water and vegetation, the Sigatoka Sand Dunes stand out as one of Fiji's most unique wonders. In 1989, 390 acres of the Sigatoka Sand Dunes was established as Fiji's first National Park- The Sigatoka Sand Dunes National Park. A key contributor to its protection is the archaeological treasures buried beneath the dune sands. These artefacts have contributed to the history of man's first arrival in Fiji. Today, evidence of this past continue to be unearthed by the wind. The Park is home to a unique Dune forest which is now home to a myriad of wildlife. Some notable inhabitants of this forest include the Fijian Swallow tail Butterfly, the fruit bats, the Goshawks, the giant stick insects and cryptic Pacific Boa. The National Park is a Fijian heritage, rich in both natural and cultural attributes.
Tucson, Arizona
31 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“Great Hike”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

As always, it is interesting to see how others set up there hiking and parks. The park worker was very helpful and gave us great direction. Yes, the sand is hot when you walk on it, but we felt it was worth the trip.

Visited May 2013

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Antwerp, Belgium
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Nice but nothing extraordinary”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2013

I knew not to expect desert like view, but I was hoping for a little more amazement. Although the park itself is beautifully well kept (which you wuld expect considering the 10$ entrance fee), I was a little disappointed. The views are pretty but nothing extraordinary. I'm happy I went but I won't go back and I won't consider my visit to the dunes as my Fijian trip highlight (term used in the Lonely Planet!)

Visited July 2013
Brisbane, Australia
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Archaeology and Nature”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 25, 2013

An amazing archaeological site within beautiful, steep sand dunes. I'd recommend picking up some fresh food from the market and eating it at the top of the sand dunes - take in the view. Parts of the walks are sandy but most areas have grass cover so it's a fairly easy walk. Take your time and just consider how amazing all the Lapita pottery and burials are. A highlight of my Fiji trip - also go to the Tavuni hill fort. It's a national park - so the small fee just pays for the upkeep

Visited December 2012
MN USA
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Rewarding Work”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

I have to thank Tripadvisor reviewers who advised going early in the day. We (husband, teen-aged daughter and I) went as soon as the site opened in the morning. It was very hot and humid, but I'm sure it didn't get any cooler later!
The long walk is work, and not advisable for very small children or anyone with mobility issues. It's a walk for the fit. I read that the dunes range from 20-60 m tall. There's a fair amount of climbing up steep grade. The sand is very soft and we sank in, some places up to our ankles (true even for our very light-weight daughter). Going uphill, we'd slide back back down a little with every upward step. It helps to go fast and keep up momentum! My husband always wears shoes, but our daughter and I found it a lot easier to get traction walking barefoot. We didn't encounter anything sharp or nasty in the sand. The whole track was really very litter-free and clean.
We started out on a firm trail through the forest (a lovely stretch with interesting insects, spiders and birds), and then were hit by the heat coming into the open sunshine. A few steps later we were "hit" by the amazing view. The dune area is startlingly vast-- so much sand washed down by the river and thrown up by the sea! We could see the stable dunes, and the parabolic dunes in flux. It's frankly amazing to see vegetation taking hold in the hot dry sand of still-shifting dunes.
We didn't see anyone else on the trails or beach while we were there. We did see some birds, and heard a lot more than we saw.
The view on hitting the beach is again breathtaking!
There's a break in the reef where the river enters the sea, and there are dangerous currents in the area. A sign also warns of sharks, so we enjoyed the curls and crashing waves from a distance (barely got our toes wet). It's stunningly beautiful and it feels very raw and wild and isolated.
It's also fascinating to think of the archeological digs in the area and how they've revealed evidence of the first settlers to Fiji, including human remains, stone tools, and pottery linking the early settlers to New Caledonia. Our time in Fiji was limited, so we didn't get to the Fiji Museum in Suva where the artifacts are displayed. It would have been nice if there were more of them on site, but I understand the Dunes are rather out of the way, and more people will get to see the artifacts where they are.
The last stretch of the walk was back through the forest. It was beautiful, but still hot. The shade was countered by the stifling of any breeze.
While it's easy to describe the Dunes walk, it's difficult to give it a numerical rating. It's definitely not for everyone. There are no bathrooms along the way, and the only place to buy refreshments is at the center where you start (and finish) your walk. Bring insect repellent if you go; our daughter's legs got horribly chewed up by some sort of unseen virulent critters (two weeks later the bites are still visible).
If you're a fit nature-lover able to deal with a little discomfort, you'll find yourself well rewarded by visiting this historically significant, geologically fascinating, and wildly beautiful area.

Visited June 2013
1 Thank ooojen
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“beautiful area”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2013

A wonderful place to explore the rain forest and the beaches. There is the feel of being completely alone and at peace here. Breathtaking views from the hilltops and the beaches. The beach there is not for swimming..the surf and undertows are strong, and the beach is rugged...but oh so beautiful. It is easily and cheaply accessed from Signatoka and from our resort, Gecko's. The admission fee was inexpensive ($10 fjd)

Visited June 2013