“Great Value for Money”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Great Value for Money”
Reviewed January 16, 2011

The staff at Hideaway are the best! Fijians are so friendly and their service is good. Food was good - must try the Ala Carte menu - excellent! Great value for money, spent less than we estimated. Rooms are good and air con was great. Good location nestled among many villages - you get a feel for real Fiji than if you were on one of the islands. Great snorkelling in the lagoon - better than what we found out on the island that we day-toured. Tour the local village and get a better appreciation for the fijian people and their way of life. Tours a little bit pricey but hey, you wouldn't do the same thing at home so be adventurous!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (546)
  • Korean first
Adelaide
Reviewed January 11, 2011

We've just returned from our 3rd stay at Hideaway. Once again, another fantastic holiday. My husband's luggage was lost at the airport, and the staff at Hideaway went out of their way to make sure it found us - and it did 24 hours later! Although the resort is no longer managed by Rydges, changes were not too noticable. The main changes were that the pool and bar are no longer 24 hours - which is a shame if you like a cooling midnight dip. We stayed for 2 weeks, and didn't eat the same thing twice - all our meals were delicious and couldn't be faulted. The breakfast chef, Faiyaz, was always happy and smiling, and cooks the BEST eggs. The activities staff, especially Tagi, Adi, Elijah and Kini, are outstanding and really enjoy engaging with the guests. They are the friendliest, loveliest people. As for the bar staff, they make the most amazing cocktails and service is pretty quick. Didn't notice Fiji time at all this time. Paul, Adelaide, Wise and Usa are the best bar staff ever. Always friendly and smiling. We never get the all inclusive as it doesn't suit us, and once again, we were really happy with our final account - especially when converted to AUS dollars. Once again, the Bure was clean and the housekeeping were great. Sorry guys, but can't find many negatives to comment on, other than the pool and bar no longer being 24 hours. Probably why we're planning our next trip already! We had a mixed bag with the weather - had 2 afternoons where it rained non stop - other than that a couple of days where we got a shower in the afternoon for about 1.2 hour and the rest of the days were HOT and humid. Unfortunately, although there were quite a few couples, there were only about 6 people at the disco each evening, but we still enjoyed ourselves and met some great new people who we hope to catch up with same time same place next year.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank glenlan
dubbo
Reviewed January 8, 2011

Although the location of Hideaway is idyllic and we were so lucky with the weather during our stay, the service and quality of food and beverage at this resort left much to be desired. On almost every occasion we tried to access our beachfront bure, we were left standing on the porch in frustration as the swipe cards failed to operate due to years of sea wind and salt corroding the locking devices. If you were lucky, 10-12 attempts might see you inside your room!
The bar and restuarant staff all worked very much to a "Fiji Time" schedule but were happy to encourage diners to leave (including turning lights off) when it was time to finish their shift - our plates were gathered up whilst we were still eating on one occasion.
Freshness of the food was also a dissappointment as we had anticipated an abundance of fresh fruits and vegetables & seafood given our location. Again, this proved not to be the case at Hideaway where we were presented with the same tired looking assortment of foods on a daily basis. One morning there were tiny bugs covering over the fruit salad on the breakfast buffet :(
On our second night, 3 members of the family suffered severe stomach upsets after dining on the Mongolian BBQ
On a positive note the Activities staff were a highlight for our family - especially the guys who lead the pool volley ball each day. They were lots of fun and made a real effort to engage the guests around the pool each morning.
In summary this resort has a fabulous location right on the coral coast, however the food and service were poor and over priced. There seemed to be more activities for younger children but teens were not well catered for.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with family
Brisvegas
Reviewed January 6, 2011

Sorry guys, its going to be a long one!!

I travelled with my partner to Fiji Hideaway to have a New Years getaway. We only booked early December which was quite last minute so we only had a few options for where to stay and chose the hideaway, but we are so glad we did because we had a lovely time!! We arrived in Nadi at 5:00pm on New Years eve and got a cab straight away as soon as we walked out the door. I said we wanted to be taken to Fiji Hideaway for $90 Fijian which he was happy to do. An hour and three quarters later we arrived. At this point I thought this guy deserved every dollar he got so we did give him $100 fijian. We went to check in and were upgraded to a Beach Front Villa at no extra cost which was amazing. we still don't know why this happened but we only ever paid for an Ocean view room. This room had the outdoor shower which I couldn't get enough of!! Great for getting some sun in your own privacy during the day!! The room was really clean and was serviced every day. We really enjoyed the food. Most the meals on the all day dining were around the $20 fijian mark which made things about $10 Australian. The Ala Carte menu was more expensive but were still pretty reasonable. The only meal I didn't like that much was the lobster. It wasn't done very well unfortunately but for the price it wasn't a big deal.

One thing I wish someone had said to me earlier was not to get money from travelex or currency exchange places because they really ripped us off on the exchange rate. What we should have done straight away is just to get money straight out of an ATM at the Nadi airport!!! Fiji hideaway also does not have an ATM so make sure you have enough for the whole trip or use the room charge system and keep your cash for your day trips and activities. We ran out of cash and had to get a cab driver to take us to get some out which was like a 20 minute drive or there abouts.

We went on a day trip to Robinson Crusoe Island which was organised by the Tour Desk at the resort. It was $139 Fijian. It was a nice day but having been on many trips to the Great Barrier Reef in North Queensland it was hard to compare. The bus picked us up at 8:40 and we didn't get to the boat to take us until about 10 o'clock and then didn't get to the island until 10:30 or so. The staff at the Island were really great and tried to have lots of activities but the water was a bit murky and not great to swim at in low tide but was better in high tide. There were plenty of fish which was good though. They cooked us a Lovo lunch which was really really yum. I did really enjoy the fire dancers though and traditionally polynesian dancing which was performed by the staff at the island. One of the male fire dancers accidentally dropped his fire stick and it flung into one of the girl dancers and set her grass skirt on fire and she ran off stage the poor thing!

I went on 3 horse rides while in Fiji, 2 of which were with the resort Horseman who comes to a spot near the pool at 10am each day to take bookings. There is a 2 and a half hour waterfall/jungle ride which i did. We cantered on the beach for a bit but other than that the jungle was only really walkable. I also did a beach ride with the same tour guide for a half an hour and had a great time. There was no better feeling than Cantering on the beach, and then later racing against my guide. The other ride we did was to a local waterfall where we caught a cab to a village and then the villagers took us on horses to their waterfall which was amazing. That was my favourite activity we did. The water was so refreshing and it was just beautiful. We went to Suva for a day trip but for the time it took to get there and back it was a bit of a waste of time!!

On the day we checked out, we didn't leave the resort until 4 in the afternoon. So the staff organised for us to have a shower in an empty room so we could get ready for our flight after having been in the pool all day. They put us in an ocean view room and boy are we glad we had been upgraded!! That particular room was average at best so I can understand how some people may not have been completely happy with their accommodation. I don't know if that is all the Ocean view rooms or just that particular one, but it wasn't great.

No one ever warned me about the heaps and heaps of Cane toads in Fiji!!! There were plenty of them around the hideaway. The staff call them froggies but being a Queenslander they were Cane toads if I ever saw them!!! Hundreds of them!!! This was a shock because I really do not like them but had to deal with it. The only thing I found disappointing was that the hotel was no longer under the ridges branch so we couldn't use the ridges priority club card anymore, but other than that we had a great time!! Overall a great trip for value for money. Very happy to have been and at some point I believe we will definitely be back!!

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank missfitz06
Southport, Australia
Reviewed January 5, 2011

We did a lot of research for this trip - it was a very needed break at the end of a hectic year so we had a lot invested in it. The Hideaway resort did not disappoint. Its true that the resort is a bit tired and is currently undergoing renovations to improve the look of the rooms - however to be honest we didn't even notice this after day one as the location is so amazing and the staff so lovely that you realise its not that important.
We spent christmas 2010 there as part of our ten night stay and are thinking about doing it every year. Our beachfront bure looked out onto a coastal reef and lovely garden, it was a two bedroom type which was great to have with two children (five and one).
The kids club was OK, our daughter went to some of the sessions and there could have been more enthusiasm on the part of the staff but she was happy to swim with us or her new friends anyway. The resort itself has a very safe feeling to it and we were never worried when she was doing her kids club activities. The staff get to know you very quickly and are so very helpful.
The meals were really good. We were very dubious as we bought the meal plan however I don't think we ate the same thing twice (unless it was excellent) and there was a lot of variety and seafood.
If the resort gets a facelift it will be even more amazing. A great hotel - not big and impersonal like its neighbours.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank Tracey P
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 3, 2011

When you find an absolute treasure you don't want to tell people about it, because you don't want to share ;) but not sharing Hideaway would be an injustice!
I have never neared the end of a holiday and thought, you know what "I can go home rested and happy and invigorated for another year" after 8 days at Hideaway I could!!
The rooms are ample, the food is excellent especially for the price! the beds are comfortable enough, the maintenance staff are friendly, the rooms are always clean, the pool and the daily activities are fabulous and fun, the entertainment each night is exactly that! It's not five star BUT you're not paying five star prices! there's no telly in the room, you don't notice that there isn't!
BUT.. more than anything Hideaway is about it's people! What MAKES Hideaway is it's people! day two I left my thongs somewhere in the resort.. I don't even remember putting them on that morning before breakfast! but Adi tracked me down and on day two already knew my name and knew who they belonged too!! George & Tagi are awesome! they're fun, friendly and genuinely lovely guys, Fayiaz is brilliant, the shining light of breakfast and our cooking classes! Kini and Adi are just sweethearts but these are just a few, all the staff feel like family when you leave :)
Watch out for the waterslide!
We've recommended Hideaway to many friends and we'll continue to do so. I see there are some complaints ranging from the beds to the food *shrugs* I guess it's going to vary from person to person and what their expectations and requirements are. If your aim is to relax and do as you please, when you please in a friendly and beautiful environment .. well you'll not be disappointed. remember "Fiji Time"
We're heading back again in May 2011 and we can't wait!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Leebee1975
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 31, 2010

I wanted a holiday where I could relax in beautiful surroundings, and also do active things if I wanted to. Well, the Hideaway was like paradise! My bure overlooked the ocean, was clean and secure. I snorkled and relaxed with the sounds of the coconut palms and ocean always in the background. The staff were warm and friendly. I loved it here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
5 Thank Connie091
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!