“Hit Fiji Time the moment we arrived”

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed November 30, 2009

We have been to Fiji for the last five years as our family holiday (two adults and two children 7 & 9), but this would have to be the best stay by far. We arrived late on a Saturday afternoon and the greeting from Hideaway we welcoming straight away. We were shown to our room, how to get dinner, at highlights of the resort along the way. We stayed in a breachfront bure, which was great, a little tired, but didn't worry us as you only sleep in the bed - please note that you are paying for the view. If you are looking for a more up to date bure with an outdoor shower try the Frangipani Bure. On our fourth night we upgraded to a oceanview villa, which was amazing. Right at the end of the resort, with a hammock out the front, huge rooms, fantastic bathroom, gorgeous outdoor shower (which is the only one we used), plenty of storage. The cleaning staff were great, the room was nearly always done when we returned from breakfast and my son's teddy was always presented nicely - flowers in hair, playing wooden drums etc. The resort is compact, we loved that there were no TVs. Our kids took there DVD players, and they weren't turned on at all. The restaurant was great from breakfast with Fayeze, to lunch and dinner, couldn't fault the service and the delicious meals. There is a wide variety of food, we stayed 15 nights, and still didn't get through the whole two menus. They have a lunch time / bar menu which is very extensive, then they have an al a carte menu for dinner. You can order from either menu for dinner and there is always specials which are great. My husband got his Diving licence whilst staying at Hideaway, can we could not speak more highly of Alex the instructor. Kids Club, was great - we didn't ask the kids to go to kids club they told us they were going. As the resort was quiet whilst we were there,maximum of 7 kids any day, they ruled what was happening. If they had coconut collecting, coral collecting etc, and they wanted to snorkell the activities crew were happy to oblige, they went snorkelling. They are slowly doing the resort up, if you are looking for five star this is not your resort. If you are looking for true Fijian culture, gorgeous Fijian staff, Fijians looking to please and make you happy this is the place to come. Over the last five years, we have heard how hard Fijians have it, low pay, bad living conditions, let me say this is the first time we haven't had to hear from Fijians how hard there life is. They enjoy working, taking care of there customers and having fun. We are already planning on returning to Fiji next year, and yes we will be coming back, we won't be going back to a five star resort, we will be going to see real Fiji. Thanks Hideaway, three weeks later, we are still on Fiji Time.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with family
4  Thank Woodies68

Reviewed November 15, 2009

My husband and I chose this resort for our wedding. The service staff was rude and never smiled. Our "non-white" wedding guests were treated with discrimination and racism. I thought I did my reseach and chose this resort carefully. Please do not give this hotel your business. The other resorts we stayed at the service was good and people were friendly. Fiji is a beautiful place. Just dont stay at this tired resort where the staff is rude and unhappy.

6  Thank heidisf
Reviewed November 8, 2009

Well where do we start. My husband and I chose this hotel for the reviews and we are so glad we did. I agree with Katebj who we met over there that anyone who is complaining should rethink. We arrived and were greeted in the most Bula way and were taken to our Frangipani room and then came back to the restaurant for dinner. We had a rydges vip card which gave us discount off food and drinks and this bought the meals down to less than you would pay here in Australia. Our first meal of Thai prawns green curry and rice with vegetables and 2 beers cost Fiji $74.38 equiv to $47.98 AUD for the 2 of us. Some of the meals ie. Fajitas could be shared by the 2 of us as it was a huge meal (see photo). There are 2 menus an a la carte and a bistro type which is really good and great choice as well. We actualy shared the curry on the a la carte menu as it worked out cheaper than 2 of the same type of curry on the bistro menu. Cocktails are around $12 for happy hour and this special for cocktail of the day goes on after happy hour $7.74 AUD - can't get that here. Resort scuba dive $170 - $109.67 AUD (exchange rate $1.55 while we were there). We also upgraded the second day to an ocean view room for $25 Fiji a night $16.12 AUD as we thought even though our room had a bit of a ocean view through the bures and gardens in front for that amount we may as well have an ocean view. The weather wasn't that great very cloudy and a few showers every day except the last day so we had a perfect spot to look out.
The staff were so friendly and would do anything for you. Faiyez the Egg Man at breakfast and Kini - Activities and also the man on the front desk most days (sorry don't know his name - got us the ocean view room really quick and arranged the moving) were great. All the waitresses and trainee waitresses were so kind and helpful. My husband was ill the second day and I just ordered my meal and took it back to the room with all the cutlery and tray etc. (see photo).
The rooms are in the process of being refurbished and the ones they have started (you didn't hear any noise at all and they were tiling) are really going to look good and will also have outdoor showers in them.
Sharon in the tour Desk was really helpful and we did a tour of Navua River and up to a village and it was fantastic. ($282 Fiji $181.93 Aud) and included lunch.
The welcome cocktail function was a real treat with food and drink and the actual Manager 'Kerry" was there as well. The torch lighting and beating of the drums every night is an absolute treat.
The fiji people are very poor and only receive $1 - $3 per hour wages and the prices in the grocery store are equivalent to our money here in australia e.g. 1.25litre of ginger ale softdrink $2.29 fijian, deoderent $5.39 fijian and they don't earn what we do. We took the local bus to Sigatoka to shop and it cost $1.90 fiji each way per adult so cheap compared to around $20 cab fare. Very safe and you can see what the locals do. It takes about 20-25 minutes to get to Sigatoka from the hotel. There is a busline that is like our coaches with movies running and airconditioning which is $3.20 fiji each way per adult. Jacks souvenir shop is quite good value and you don't have to haggle and is cheaper than what the markets ask.
There is horseriding there as well (see photo) and is great value $50 fiji for 2.5 hour ride through rainforest to a waterfall and back with cantering or faster if you want. We also did the mountain view ride (profile picture) and the view is magnificant $30 fiji.
I would love to be back there still. The ambience of the place is so great and I can't wait to go back.
I miss it already. The location right on the beach with the surf just 100 metres away and the snorkelling straight out in front with so many colours, fish and coral to see (also a sea snake - which didn't bother me but i was bothered by it) - The staff and atmosphere is the best I have had yet. If you don't stay here you are nuts.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
9  Thank gsvon
Reviewed November 8, 2009

What an awsome place to stay. Great food drinks friendly and helpful staff. You clouldnt find a better place to go on your honeymoon.

Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank CraigM6
KBFiji, General Manager at Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2009

Vinaka and thank you for your comments.

I know we discussed this subject whilst you were here. We are fortunate to have very special staff who genuinely care for all our valued guests.

We look forward to your first time second vist.

Best regards

Kerry

Reviewed November 4, 2009

WOW! What an amazing experience. Before I left for my trip I spent hours searching and wading throught the reviews to find a resort with good reviews that suited me budget. I was confused before we left because of the conflicting reviews that we found. All I can say to those who were not 100% satisfied is what is wrong with you? This resort has a stunning location, when you arrive the greeting is warm and friendly, the grounds were kept beautifully, our bure was just perfect (the frangipani one with outdoor shower). The food was also absolutley amazing, not one bad experience. I feel i should mention i went on this trip with a flu and have also come home with a very badly infected wound and still thouroughly enjoyed my time. The main reason i wanted to leave this review is because I feel I should rebut some of the complaints i read on here before i left. Number one-this country is quite poor, the conditions that most of the locals live in just aren't comparable to the luxury we have at home. The people here also work very long hard days, they have families to provide for! So when I think of someone complaining about the rooms we were staying in that the staff have happily maintianed for us I get a lttle annoyed. If you want perfection....maybe don't come to Fiji.... perhaps what your looking for can be found in a five star apartment in your closest cbd. The food was great, it is priced a little higher than what you would pay for dinner in town, but i think that you expect this in a resort, don't you? It also still works out cheaper than eating dinner at a restaurant here in Australia. The staff are some of the nicest and friendliest people I have ever met in my life. They have an attitude and piorities I want to carry with me for the rest of my life. Fiji time is a positve thing, not laziness, and it can't be fully understood until your there. Look, at the end of the day, if you don't like this resort, then i don't know where you would be happy. But if your looking for a beautiful place to stay, with good food, good facilities, and great people then this is most certainkly the place. We will be back!!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katebj
Reviewed November 3, 2009

we have travelled a bit round the world & the hideaway was my saviour the staff were so friendly & caring they helped my partner who is disabled & put a ramp to the bure for his wheelchair, the food was excellent & the resort is in a fabulous location right on the beautiful coral coast the entertainment was simple but entertaining we loved it there & want to return one day
Val & Si

Reviewed November 3, 2009

This was our first visit to Fiji but it won't be the last.
Like other people I read some of the reviews on this site, all I can say is the negative ones must have clicked on the wrong hotel. We arrived on the evening of Devali to find the hotel & staff all decked out in celebration, with all the staff explaining why. When we made our booking we requested a room as close to the sea & as far away from the disco as possible, the request was actioned the only noise we could hear in the late evening was the sea & the palm trees, bliss. There was some noise from the drunken girls staying in the next Bure returning home around 3am but once they had gone past all was quiet again.
The food was good in quality & value especially with the Ridges discount card (20% discount on all food & drink). There are 2 different menus the A' la carte menu & the bar menu. When we visited the resort was fairly quiet so both menus were served in the restaurant.
The snorkling was great, it is a bit of a swim out in strong currents but well worth the effort to reach the coral reef. There is plenty to see in the shallows for those who don't want to go too far out. Ask the egg chef at breakfast for bread for the fish, throw it in & watch the waters boil with fish a great spectical. Ask the activities staff when they can take you snorkeling, we went out with 2 different staff Adi & Tagi. Adi was great,constantly making sure we were ok & showing us everything. We went out again later the same day with Tagi, who took us out further onto the full reef (you need to be a fairly strong swimmer to keep up with Tagi).
We visited Sigatoka, the nearest town we took a cab FJ$50 return but you can catch a bus from just outside the hotel. The hotel staff said there is a bus timetable "sometimes late" "sometimes not come" "sometimes go home"
As the hotel was quiet, a lot of the acvtivities didn't take place, you can't have happy hour games if no one wants to play. The activity not to be missed is the new addition of Frog Racing on the bar deck after the nightly entertainment. We were assured no frogs were harmed during the racing, obviously George can talk to the animals as well as dance & sing. The whole atmosphere was a relaxed one exacxtly what we wanted.

1  Thank DroopDraws
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Bedarra Beach Inn
#1 of 10 in Sigatoka
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!