“Great holiday at Hideaway”

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed October 26, 2009

We've just returned from Rydges Hideaway Resort and we had a great holiday. I was travelling with my 3 kids, twins girls aged 6 and an 8 year old boy. We booked our holiday through MyFiji, Hideaway Holidays and Gracie organised the airfares, room and transfers, and meal package, so all I had to do was get us all to the airport on time.
We'd read trip advisor and were prepared for the long drive from the airprt. We arrived around 10.30pm and hadn't eaten since lunch so the little plate of fruit in the room wasn't enough after 12 hours travelling. It looked like the kitchen was closed and it was all too hard to chase up food at that hour.
The room was really big and clean, heaps of room for the 4 of us, and I could read on the verandah after the kids had gone to bed. The Oceanfront Villas are a long walk from the restaurant but we didn't mind that. We had a little animal that visited our room (probably seeking shelter from the rain when I left the door open). It woke me up several times on the second night and security came to help me catch it, unsuccessfully. Reeception organised for us to sleep the rest of the night in the bungalow behind, security helped me carry the kids over, and they found a new villa for us the following day complete with a big basket of fruit. All problems seem to be fixed promptly and with no fuss. There was a tsunami warning 2 days before we got there and the guests said the staff promptly organised all the guests and marched them up the steep hill behind, which they set up with tarps and water. This was in stark contrast to other resorts, where guests waited to be evacuated by buses and boats that never turned up.
The resort itself was fine for our needs; we had plenty to do both at the resort and on day trips. The kids loved the water slide. We loved riding along the beach. Jimmy's horses are very quiet and well cared for. Snorkelling was a bit disappointing (had imagined a more spectacular reef) but it was still worthwhile.The cooking demonstrations were great. The nightly entertainment was really enjoyable; I let the kids stay up late due to the time difference with Sydney. We enjoyed the village walk but there didn't seem to be much going on with the kids club, maybe because it was only NSW school holidays by then. The wet weather activities were a bit disappointing (they just ran a movie for kids club) and I would have been disappointed if we'd had a wet week.
Adult meals were a very high standard (I was on the meal plan, which required the wearing of a very unappealing hospital bracelet) but kids eat free was a bit repetitive and lots of chips. Because adults and kids meals are served 1 hour apart at lunch and 2 hours apart at dinner, we seemed to spend an awful lot of time at the restaurant. Dinner was always an issue; the kids would eat at 5, the movie would start at 6 and inevitably they would rather play than watch it, so by the time I could eat at 7 I had to regularly leave my meal to check up on the kids. They were hungry again by 8.Sometimes it was just easier to pay for the kids meals and have them eat with me (kids meals were pretty cheap anyway). Infact, they really didn't do any activities with the kids club at all and spent most of the holiday with me. I didn't really mind that, we had a great time visiting the eco park (catch a bus; much cheaper), going to Robinson Crusoe Island (crowded tour, great dancing) and on the caves tour (floating down the river in the beautiful Sigatoka valley was the highlight of our trip).
The absolute best thing about this resort though would have to be the staff. Everyone was really good at their jobs and the kids adored Faiyez the chef. It's not just the peacocks like George that made the experience for us, it was the staff in every department; Elanor in the restaurant, Isoah is security, the reception and customer relations who organised another room for us, the porters who were waiting for us 10 minutes early at 4.20 am to take our bags to the bus. This is a well run operation and a good, easy, cost effective (around $900 AUD for all my tours, souveneers, extra food and drinks) and fun holiday.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled with family
KBFiji, General Manager at Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 18, 2009

Bula and thank you for your kind response following your stay at Rydges Hideaway Resort, Fiji.

I gather from your comments that most everything was to your satisfaction. I apologise if your account may not have been correct on departure. Sometimes errors are made and you are absolutely right, all of us should check our accounts no matter what country we are in.

It terms of price I think Fiji is exceptional good value for money considering a lot of products are imported. We actually try and purchase local produce where possible to sustain the local economy and provide value for our valued customers.

Once again thank you for your comments and I look forward to welcoming you back, possibly, in the future.

Best regards

Kerry

Reviewed October 21, 2009

I have been to the Hideaway now 6 times and planning my 7th trip in February. I have visited many places in Fiji but love the very personal feel of the Hideaway. The staff are the friendliest and most sincere I have ever come across and will go out of there way to ensure you have a great time. Other Resorts are so impersonal you feel like you are just a number. I notice that another reviewer was very disappointed in the cleanliness but I have never found this the case. I have never seen a cockroach and as for the ants - Fiji is full of them. Wherever you go and no matter where you are there seems to be ants but you get used to that. The Resort does supply spray if necessary. I find all aspects of the Resort fantastic. The food is delicious and really not overpriced compared to other resorts. The pool activites are very enjoyable eg. Aqua gym, pool volleyball and especially everyone participating in the sundance at 12 noon. Happy hour is the best with different games each night and a fantastic way to meet other guests from all around the world. I am sorry but I would not stay anywhere else. Can't wait to get back.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank LorettaPap
Reviewed October 12, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from six nights at Hideaway Resort and having travelled to Fiji many times before we wish to assist potential guests by comparing the Hideaway with previous experiences.
The location is great, the staff and management were excellent. Remember this Resort is currently advertised as a 3.5 star, so you have to measure it against this.
Some of the rooms are currently being upgraded so keep this in mind. The entire resort is getting a spruce up and when completed will be outstanding.
We found the idea of the entire resort being Bure style and all positioned close to the water fantastic.
The grounds and gardens are kept in magnificent order. The staff are always friendly and helpful.
Important. There is a hill directly behind the resort, great for a photo opportunity AND quick Tsunami warning escape. Yes it happened to us and the management were superb in getting the entire resort guests and staff up there and looking after us, GREAT and thank you!!!
There are plenty of activities, the horse riding was popular. You can always find something to do, or like us, just relax.
Reading a book listiening to the waves crashing on to the reef was so peaceful and relaxing.
The food was of a great standard, the egg man Faiyez is a legend and an awesome character.
We had a great break at Hideaway, thanks to all involved there and we look forward to seeing the results of the upgrade.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank trhfs
Reviewed October 9, 2009

We arrived at this so called family friendly resort after midnight - exhausted from travelling all day. We had booked a two bedroom bure- which was meant to have two bedrooms and a lounge, as we were travelling with our daughter 11 and son 15, and were confouded at check in to be given two seperate room forms to fill in. After questioning this a more senior reception staff member was dragged out - the first had no clue what was going on or was unwilling to say - we were told - very sorry - maintenance is being done on the room you booked - giving you two interconnecting one bedroom bures (which were one bedroom and a bathroom only) is an upgraded.
We were not happy with this but because of the time of night accepted it then. The next day we raised it again with the staff - there were only four two bedroom bures in the resort and when we had wandered round the resot they were all occupied. Why had our booking not been honoured. At this stage we were again lied to. The staff member advised us that - staff were staying in the bure as, because it needed maintenance done they could not use it for guests.
The rooms were quite basic, the eighties style bathrooms were unpleasant, with mould growing in the silicon (I suppose it is inevitable in the climate). The "kids eat free" only applied if we put our 11 year old in Kids Club.
The activities staff were great - they entertained us with sun dances by the pool, volley ball games and pre dinner activities were huge fun.
The restaurant food was good, breakfast was lovely each day, and the wait staff were in the main very friendly.
The resort is 2 hours from Nandi - and unless you want to just do resort things it's not the best place to stay to see Fiji.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with family
2  Thank BethDid
Reviewed October 8, 2009

We travelled here for a romantic well earned break.

We didn't realise the place would be full of families on a full package deal, which meant chaos. It poured all the time & the wind was wild - not their fault, but that meant all these families had nothing else to do but stay indoors. That meant the dinning-come-bar-come-only place to go was CHAOS. Now, we have nothing against kids - had 3 ourselves! But, it left us stuck in the bure the entire time just to get away from the noise.

The Bure was grotty, run down and dirty - nothing like the pictures on the site, & had either cockroaches or hoards of ants all the time! We were given a tin of bug spray! The hot water seemed to run filthy brown most mid mornings too.

Of the 4 days we stayed (we bailed) it stopped raining only once for a few hours. We ran outside to sit on the rotten broken sunbeds only for the gardener to come out and go up & down next to us with the oldest, loudest fume spewing lawnmower in the world!!! After 30mins we gave in & went for lunch (unless you hire a car you have NO-WHERE else to go!) 2hrs later we went back & decided to have a siesta. Just as we were dropping off, out he came again to do the bure next door!!!! I even went out & flung my arms up at him, but he didn't get the message & continued - for another 45mins! Even the lovely pregnant lady next door was fed up!
Next to our Bure (in front of the one with kids) was a green wooden box with a bin in. The lid was left off most of the time & the side panel had rotten off & was left on the floor with long rusty nails sticking up!!! It was down to us to lean it up away from running little feet!

In general the staff were lovely & helpful albeit clearly fed up because of everyone being indoors so much of the time (parents - when you see staff trying to clean, take your children away!!!)

The food was divine and the Indian head chef fantastic (as was his lovely wife on reception!)

The place is ideal for families with kids who don't want to go anywhere or really do anything, although it is very basic & would benefit from a VERY good clean EVERYWHERE, & fresh coat of paint. It does have some of the best coral reef we've ever seen - although that wont be there much longer the way the locals drag their nets over it daily :-(

I contacted the manager Kerry before we went as he'd replied to a previous complainant they should have spoken up more, to let him know we would be grateful for a quiet area as childless. We had a family with 3 young boys put in the bure behind (very close!) who, naturally, where loud - great! Thanks for that! He was pointed out to us in the bar, but seemed unapproachable & more concerned with playing the 'show-off big man' than noticing the state of the place - so Kerry, that's why we didn't speak up!

We left after 4 days although we'd paid for 7 & most definitely wont be going back, or recommending it to couples.

As for the web pics - we never saw those lovely rooms/bathrooms, and the flash Pavilion by the Pool? Its behind a locked wall! As for "Escape by the pool" - How? with kids running around it & thru it day & evening? Come on - advertise fairly, you'll still get families!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank JanePete_NewZealand
Reviewed September 25, 2009

We spent 5 nights at Rydges and couldn't find fault anywhere. The staff were lovely and always accommodating and friendly. There were plenty of activities available every day, the food was great and well priced and there was different entertainment every night. We had a lovely holiday. Good for kids too.

• Stayed: August 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank timwr
Reviewed September 24, 2009

This resort is a place which older people and families with young children will love.
The swimming pool is great, the central place for all activities! The food is good value for money and the staff is very nice.

We are a couple early 30-ies and would not recommand this resort for the adventure type. I did enjoy the small resorts in the Yasawas way more. One big table where every-one eats at, a perfect place to meet people and to talk about what you have done that day.

Being more an independent adventure tourist I wanted to go kayaking.... but kayaks did have leaks and could not be used; wanting to use the bikes we were told management changed and bikes are waiting to be replaced... Guess management is aware of these issues with the equipment that they advertise on there website.

Also the reefwalk was a bit strange.... big groups are being taken into the sea for a walk to a 'rack' with corals where you can spent 5 dollars to replant corals.... sure heaps of coral was destroyed during the walk to the rack so nature conservation was not how I would have called this.

But to end in a potive note! The staff welcomes you with a nice bula smile, the bures are big and clean, the food is good and there is always something to do. If you want an easy holiday in true resort style with no desire to leave the resort: book hide-away!

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Travel_Stijn
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Tambua Sands
Tambua Sands
#3 of 10 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!