“A true Hideaway”

Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Brisbane
“A true Hideaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2008

My wife and I had visited Fiji with our kids 20 years ago and needed a time out break and our thoughts returned to our best holiday we had ever had Fiji.

On a recomendation from a freind we selected Hideaway as it covered all we were looking for in their web site.
Only 6 nights, and the resort delivered just what we wanted, if you want quite you get it, if you want to take advantage of the activities they are all there waiting for you.
We selected a ocean view bure and to wake up to the sound of the ocean just meters away is pure bliss.
The staff were great, the accomadation level was great and so was the food.

To sum up the Hideaway allowed us the ability to unwind and recharge our batteries in such a short time.
I would recomend this resort to anyone looking to do similar or just experience Fiji time as we did.
To top our week off we went on a 2 1/2 hour horse ride up into the rainforest just down from the resort, what an experience and the guide,Johnny was fantastic, we are not horse riders but the the peacefull nature of our wonderful horses made it an exception event.

Stayed October 2008
2 Thank BUCKOBrisbane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (536)
  • Korean first
Geelong, Victoria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

My husband & I and our two children aged 8 & 5 recently stayed at the Hideaway Resort in a Franjipani bure. This bure was a good size and as we were the second row back from the beach, we had a beach view between the ocean view bure's. We were a distance from the restaurant, bar etc, but this didn't bother us as it was a lovely walk through their beautiful gardens, or along the beach, and we figured with the kids, we wouldn't be kept awake with people passing or the disco later in the evening - which we weren't. It was so peaceful. We also had the outside shower/bath which the kids thought was fun.
The room was serviced daily, but as another reviewer said, they were so quick - we never saw them either!
My five year old loved Fayez, the chef. Every morning when she entered the restaurant, he would yell out her name to her. She felt really special.
The kids club was great for the kids (& us!), they did things such as coral collecting & painting, mini golf, collecting flowers then making lei's, learning fijian words, and at 6pm they had a movie followed by games. This allowed my husband & I to have a quiet dinner alone. The kids ate together for lunch & dinner. There were only about 6 - 8 kids max which was a nice number, but I heard when big groups come in the numbers can be a bit higher. I don't think the kids club would really suit kids over 8.
I cannot comment on the evening's entertainment because unfortunately, we were all tucked up in our Bure by 8pm, but the daytime entertainment was fun. There was morning water aerobics, the sun dance, pool volleyball, regular volleyball - you could join in or just watch & relax. Although the coral beach was not great for swimming, it was great for exploring. We took our reef shoes and enjoyed an hour or so walking on the reef (beautiful purple sea stars).
This resort was a great size for us - the people were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. There were no queues for food or drinks - the breakfast was all you can eat and had a great variety.
A nice touch was on our last day, our transfer was not collecting us till 3pm, so they made available a guest bure for us to freshen up before leaving the resort at no additional charge.
We would love to go back to Hideaway! Vinaka everyone!

• Liked — The size of the resort and the amazing, friendly staff. Also the kids club.
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank jayjay1909
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2008

Our stay at the Hideaway had a rough start with the power going out in our room and fiji time taking its toll on us. But the trip got better from the next morning.

Awesome food. Tasty and large portions. The night time entertainment was sometimes cringe worthy but overall good. The pool was clean. The happy hour was value for money. The kids were kept out of the way by the kids club.

The only downside was fiji time becoming especially bad on the sunday and public holiday that happened when we were there. And people 'marking' their deckchairs before breakfast - which was unfair and VERY annoying.

Would highly recommend the onsite dive shop. The most people I ever had on a trip was 6. Professional but friendly with an emphasis on making your experience a good one.

• Liked — The pool, the food and the outside eating area.
  • Disliked — Fiji time and when the kids got out of the kids club.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
brisbane
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 25, 2008

My husband and 2 yr old daughter stayed at the Hideaway resort in September and loved it. Despite many people preferring the Islands to the Coral Coast I personally loved being on the main Island and being able to move around and see the villages and markets. The resort was lovely and the food very good. The atmosphere is friendly and it's great for the kids as well. The resort has a very warm feeling and the surroundings are beautiful. Despite the beach being a little small I was surprised by the snorkelling : it was quite nice.
If would definitely go back to the hideaway resort.

• Liked — Everthing
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank enixus
KBFiji, General Manager at Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 2, 2009
Thanks you for your photos and comments on Rydges Hideaway Resort. We are so pleased you had a great holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards

Kerry Blackburn
Canberra, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2008

My partner and I stayed at the resort for a week in late 2006. The staff members were very friendly and helpful and had all the energy in the world. We stayed in an Oceanview Bure which what the name suggests it was on the ocean edge (the perfect way of waking up with the view of the ocean in sight.)

The breakfast was delicious and my partner fell in love with the ‘egg/omelette cooker’ and the dinner was even yummier, the restaurant next to the pool (not where breakfast is serve) was something that I’ve never experienced. You get yourselves a bowl fill it up with veggies, herbs and spices, approach the chefs and tell them what style of noodles and meat you want for dinner and they’ll cook it up for you. Again my partner found himself a new love.

Unfortunately I was sick 4 out of 7 days and realised on the last day that my stomach couldn’t handle Fiji’s version of Codral tables which I was taking so I could go scuba-diving (Which was a magical experience because there was a volcano eruption on another island and there was floating ash/lava above where we were diving.) The nurse at the resort was caring and suggesting a few different meals for me to stomach and the kitchen staff was a great help.

The resort held many activities for both young and old and we took advantage of the history tour outside the resort. Our tour guide looked a little freaky (he had a machete and a missing finger) but it didn’t take long for us to trust him. He showed us parts of the forest where they use to live, and told the history of the Fijians and when the British landed.

One night at the resort there was a mini market based beside the pool, which was a bonus because I couldn’t travel to far from the resort. The hotel cleaning service had special powers; they clean your room within seconds because I never saw any evidence of them around

Overall the trip was fantastic and can’t wait to go back there again.

• Liked — Everything
  • Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LippyLippy
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2008

My partner and I stayed here a few years back, and to this day my mouth waters when I think of the food. We stayed in a (large) Frangipani bure which was fabulous, with a little outdoor shower - so gorgeous! We 'pre-paid' our meals which was the best thing ever. The food was brilliant, happy hour was a good chance to meet other holidaymakers and have a laugh, and the staff was relaxed - can be misconstrued as being lazy, but it's Fiji time - chill out, you're on holiday! I've travelled a fair bit, but the Hideaway is the place that we always remember as the best. Would love to return one day.

• Liked — The food and the bure
  • Stayed October 2005, traveled as a couple
1 Thank feandken
Brisbane - Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2008

Just got back from 7 Days @ the Hideaway Resort in Fiji. Overall it was a relaxing time and in short, the Hideaway is everything it's advertised to be. Small family run resort, focused on the vibe and fun.

Pros:
- Atmosphere. Positive and fun. Resort was small enough that all the staff members were like family.
- Size. If you are sick of big, mega-resorts, then a small quiet resort is blissful
- Price. Compared to the other resorts on Coral Coast ie, Naviti, Shangri-la and Warwick.
- Food. Cooked fresh and quality (ala carte) was fantastic (Dinner)

Cons:
- Frangipani Bures were too noisy ie, they backed onto Queens Rd. Trucks, buses etc. We upgraded to Oceanview Room after the first night and it was fantastic. Sound of the ocean instead of traffic.
- Breakfast. Not enough variety but considering it was free and it's a small resort, no big deal.
- Beach. Not really for swimming ie, too much coral.

• Liked — Small, family and fun atmosphere
  • Disliked — Variety for breakfast
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LanRef
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
The Pearl Resort
#3 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!