“Love the Hideaway Resort”

Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa
Ranked #6 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Queensland
“Love the Hideaway Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2008

My husband, 2 sons (then aged 6 and 10) and I stayed at the Hideaway resort for 8 nights in May 2007. This was our second stay, the first being 12 nights in December 05/January 06.

Both times were terrific. The staff were friendly, obliging and just generally great. During our first stay our son celebrated his 9th birthday and I organised a cake through reception with 24 hours notice. At the appointed time we assembled in the dining room and to our pleasant surprise 5 or 6 staff members came out singing 'happy birthday' as they brought the cake out. It also tasted delicious.

We were at the resort on Christmas Day 2005 and can't praise the staff enough for the wonderful effort they put in. The morning started at 8.30am when we were serenaded by carollers (staff members?) walking through the gardens singing carols. We were lazing around the pool at luchtime when Santa arrived on horseback down the beach! He then proceeded to walk around the pool area giving out iceblocks. "Santa" must have been boiling hot in that outfit but everyone loved it.

For dinner that night we partook in the buffett. It was wonderful - more food than I have ever seen in my life. And the room was so beautifully decorated. Top marks for that.

We returned for a second visit in May 2007, during a very unusual downturn in tourism in Fiji due to a coup that had happened a few months before. Most hotels were only at about 1/3 of their usual occupancy rate for that time of year, but Hideaway seemed to be pretty full, so I guess that says something.

Hideaway is the sort of place where you can do as much or as little as you like. As there are no TVs in the rooms it's possible to completely swicth off and completely relax. There is a movie shown most nights in the conference room, straight after the kids movie, which starts at about 6pm. For the more energetic there is water aerobics in the pool daily at 11am.

My kids loved the kids club activities, which included coconut painting, volleyball, marine exploration, ice cream eating competitions and visits to local villages. They also enjoyed just spending time in the pool, particularly on the waterslide.

On our first visit we stayed in a frangipani bure, which was spacious and contained 1 double (or queen?) bed and 2 single beds. For our second visit we booked the same style of room but were unexpectedly upgraded for free to an ocean view room upon check in. It was fabulous - a huge queen (or king?) bed, a single bed, a couch, writing table and heaps of room. Both rooms had big bathrooms, with the ocean view room having a huge shower. The rooms also contained bar fridges so we were able to stock up on drinks, cheese and other snacks at the nearby town of Sigatoka.

We went and checked out other resorts in the area during our visits and were very happy to come back to the Hideaway each time. The other hotels were too big and many of them were built like standard hotels with blocks of rooms on top of each other. What sets the Hideaway apart is the fact that the rooms are semi-detached buildings so that you have only one close neighbour. The buildings are separated by lovely gardens so that you have lots of privacy.

The only thing I would change about the Hideaway, and that applies to just about all hotels really, is that smoking should be banned, if not completely then at the very least around the pool area. There's nothing worse than having to move locations when sitting near the pool because of the selfish individuals who believe that normal people want to be exposed to their disgusting habit.

We would definitely recommend the Hideaway to anyone visiting the coral coast in Fiji.

• Liked — Just about everything - staff, food, ability to relax
  • Disliked — Smoking being permitted, particularly near the pool area
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
2 Thank dollarmite

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
  • Korean first
Adelaide
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

Our family with 2 children aged 9 & 7 have just returned from Fiji where 5 days of our trip was spent in a garden view bure at Hideaway.
Originally a litttle nervous about booking a Coral Coast resort, due to unflattering comments about the beaches, we were pleasantly surprised by how much we enjoyed Hideaway. Granted the beaches in this part of Fiji are inferior to the outer island beaches, but they were in no way as awful as I was led to believe from some of the forums.

Some of the great points of our stay were:

1. The staff - so very friendly. (Although Fijians are renowned for friendliness, the resort we went to following Hideaway had unhelpful & rude staff, in stark comparison to Hideaway's warmth & friendliness.
2. The food - Excellent! Up to western standards in taste & presentation. (Just make sure you get the meal plan that includes food & drinks or you will pay through the nose, as per usual in the resorts.)
3. Kids Club - Not too big to be "kid-maxed out," and intimate enough that staff learned our kids names and always seemed happy to see them.
4. Activities - Always something interesting on, often at no charge.
5. Bures - Probably not as glamorous as other 5-star resorts, but certainly not shabby or run down either. Pleasant, very attractive & comfortable accomodation with pretty views of either garden or ocean. (Excellent value we thought!)
6. The atmosphere - Because Hideaway is a smaller resort, an intimate family atmsophere pervades. Everyone is relaxed & ready to assist or befriend.

Would we return? There are not many places in the world I say "yes" to, but this is one of them. Definitely yes.

• Liked — Great staff, views, lovely atnosphere, the food!
  • Disliked — Leaving
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank FOSTERSAdelaide
Cowes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2008

Brilliant welcome from hotel staff 'Bula'. Clean and tidy accomodation. Nothing too much trouble day or night when requesting assistance from hotel staff. Large range of food day and night. Perfect beach, with coral and sand. Ideal for children, the reef is a mile from the shore. Paradise!

• Liked — On the beach
  • Disliked — I cant think of anything
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled solo
1 Thank jon1949
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2008

BULA!!!

If you are looking for a place to quietly laze around the pool then find somewhere else. But if you have kids with you or if you want the opportunity to learn more about the culture and history of the amazing Fijian people, then this would be perfect.

My wife and I have just returned from 9 nights at the Hideaway with our 10 year old daughter and rather than feeling like we were leaving to come home we almost felt we were leaving home and our new family.

The staff are the nicest people I have ever met on my travels (and I am a seasoned traveler). We are on a first name basis with many of them now, have learned about their families and visited them in their villages. My daughter plans to keep in contact with them now that we have returned home.

Children of all ages are entertained every day and I can not speak highly enough of the Kid's Club staff. Adi in particular deserves a special mention and has become so close to my daughter that they were both almost in tears when they said goodbye. She has also made great friends with Tuli, Kini and Naome from the Kid's Club.

The other activities crew, George, Tagi, Luke and Elijah, while mainly involved in the adult activities, have also become friends and were fantastic with us all.

The food was reasonably priced and an excellent choice available with changes to the menu daily. Breakfast was more than enough and special thanks to Fayaz who was always there with a smiling "Good Morning" and a willingness to create a special order breakfast for my daughter.

The only downside of the trip was that the room we were in could do with some refurbishment but I believe that is being undertaken.

Take the opportunity to get to know the staff if you visit. Also be sure to experience the culture and history available through organised tours and visits to the local villages and schools. You will surely get a new appreciation of the things that are truly important in life after you see how simply the Fijians live but how happy and community spirited they are.

In closing I give my recommendation...

I have traveled quite a bit and have always said that with so many amazing places to see in the world that I would never want to see the same place twice.....

however, the day after our return we are already looking at starting plans to return to the Hideaway next year.

A heartfelt VINAKA to the staff for our most amazing vacation yet.

• Liked — Without doubt the staff
  • Disliked — Room needed some updating
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank LaVidaGlobal
Irvine, CA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

We stayed at the Hideaway Resort on the last leg of our honeymoon. We chose this hotel because of the close proximity to a great surf break for my husband. We only stayed for two days and were not that impressed with Hideaway. The positive part of our stay: the staff. You can't be the Fijian people and like everywhere we visited in Fiji, the staff were exceptionally friendly. The pool was OK, however had a club med-ish feel to it. Kids everywhere, loud music and a little cheesy. If you're a stimulus junkie and need to be entertained 24 hours a day, then this is the place for you. If you want a quiet, relaxed vacation, then I suggest staying on another island. Our room was outdated and in desperate need of a renovation. We stayed in an "Oceanfront Bure" and were not impressed. On the other side of the resort were the larger rooms, which seemed much more up-to-date and livable. The bathroom was dingy. I don't consider myself a germophobe by any means, but I had to wear my water shoes in the shower. The food was fine, however not the gourmet experience it claims to be by any means.

All in all, we loved Fiji and can't wait to go back. However, I'll stick to the other islands for our next trip.

• Liked — the Fijian staff
  • Disliked — just about everything else
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
1 Thank amandrew_b
Dysart, Queensland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

Well I have returned from Hideaway yet again. This time with a singles story. I chose Hideaway as my birthday trip and took single friends with me this time. The experience was a little different but hardly disappointing. Although the crew looked for my family they were just as welcoming and so much fun! From the minute we walked into the place (having been met by the activities staff on our arrival) we were treated like family. Noone ever forgets your name or your life story. They are such beautiful people who go out of their way to make the stay worthwhile. Where in the world can you experience birthday wishes for more than a day. Here! What a blast! This time we all bunked in the two bedroom bure (four of us) and it was fantastic! Near all the action and still far enough away for quiet time if needed. But who goes to Hideaway for quiet time...... Once again, the activities were awesome, the food fantastic and the company more than you could ever ask of a resort. The activities staff are brilliant!!!! Counting down the days until my return, this time they insist with my son. Go there! You won't regret it!

• Liked — Roomy and clean!
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with friends
Nanaimo BC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2008

The acommondations were great, very spacious. The resort was very clean, staff extremely friendly and helpful. We were a family of four(two kids 8&11) they both loved it. lots of activities for all.
Cannot wait to return. Reccommended+++++

• Liked — clean and roomy
  • Disliked — All good
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
The Pearl Resort
#3 of 5 in Pacific Harbour
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Fiji Hideaway Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!