“Fiji in the school holidays”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed July 10, 2010

The Outrigger is fine if you want a laid back, short getaway with your kids.

Our rooms were interconnecting and perfectly adequate. Good sized TV, comfy bed, ok mini bar, two bottles of water provided every evening, good sized bathroom with separate loo and great, fluffy white towels (and plenty of them). The wardrobe had plenty of hangers, robes, a safe, ironing stuff and a hair dryer that had some guts.

The food was pretty good - much much better than a previous visit to Fiji 10 years earlier. The hotel has a pizza by the beach restaurant which was pretty good, a huge buffet restaurant which is good for breaky but pretty scary at night with all the little kids running around - we are beyond that now with teens so avoided it. The posh restaurant - Ivi, was really pretty good - I was impressed - BUT, it wasn't cheap. A significant mark up on the wines and the seafood (scallops and lobster) had been frozen but then dealt with quite well. The Asian restaurant by the pool was ok. I think if I was there for longer than 5 or 6 days I would be needing more variety in the food line but then I am very pernickty about food and not everybody would agree with this.

The staff were warm and friendly but you need to understand that in Fiji, everything is done on "Fiji time". That sounds fun and great for relaxing but actually isn't if you need your internet access to be working properly!

The Outrigger is pretty well maintained - you don't see a lot of things requiring maintenance, and if you do it is probably being worked on. The gym was pretty good - more than many hotels I have been to all over the world with plenty of cardio machines, some weight machines and plenty of floor space for yoga or stretching.

The spa was fantastic - way up on the hill with amazing views. I had a 2 hour package including a footbath, body scrub, wrap, mini facial and a massage. My therapist was excellent and talked when she needed to and was silent when I was being treated. An outdoor shower looking over the south pacific was spectacular and I was hard pressed to get out!!!!!! The spa experience was worth every cent and I would highly recommend it.

Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LizK3
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2010

Bula LizK3,

We look forward to your return to Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji Vuvale (Family).

Moreen Manjita

Write a ReviewReviews (3,178)

Reviewed July 7, 2010

We stayed at the Outrigger for 3 nights and were gutted that we didnt have longer! this hotel is amazing. the staff are so friendly, you will be walking around the hotel and all you can hear is "BULA" from everyone. just from saying it puts a smile on your face. The staff go out of their way to make you happy and to ensure that your stay is a memorable one. Jona a poolside waiter was fantastic. He served us one our first day and after that he continued to serve us and always asked that we were ok and if there was anything he could do for us.

The Bebe spa is essential. its the most amazing place with stunning views. The staff are all trained well with excellent experties. Me and my partner had the 'time together' treatment which was worth every penny and more.

There are plenty of places to eat with lots of choices. we only had the breakfast package but didnt think the meals were too badly priced. You just have to remember you are in a 5 star resort! the buffet evening meal was 60FD which was about £25. can't grumble at that. Breakfast was good with lots of choices although i can imagine if you are there for a long time it could become quite repetitive. The pizza place is a must! the pizza's are out of this world!!

Unfortunantly we were there as the sustralian school holidays started so there were kids everywhere. this didn't bother us too much although if you went for a romantic chilled holiday you werent going to get this. So make sure you check school hols before booking if you want romantic chilled hoilday.

If i had to moan about one thing it would be the fact that during busy time you can't have a late check out. we werent being picked up from the hotel till 5.30, it was raining so no where for us to go once checked out. we were able to leave our luggage but had to sit around in reeption for most the day and if you required a shower you had to walk over to gym. i think it would be a good idea to set one room a side for all late check outs. this room could be used as a shower room and tv room if wet weather. there were a few people in the same boat as us.

Otherwise this hotel is fantastic. it lives up to its 5 stars for sure.

thank you to everyone at Outrigger on the Lagoon.

1  Thank coolestbabe88
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2010

Bula coolestbabe88!

It is only through your valuable comments that we can continue to improve our product and service for you our valued guest. I will pass on your comments to our team and share your experience. I am delighted to note that your comments in which you praise the efficiency of our team work and excellent hospitality of our staff. Also, I was glad to know that our resort amenities and service exceeded your expectations! School holiday periods are a popular time at the resort for families however if you are able to travel outside school holidays you may find it is predominantly couples not families. Thank you recommending our Bebe Day Spa, we certainly do pride ourselves in offering Fiji’s finest Spa facility. I look forward to passing your feedback onto the team.

Thank you once again for taking the time to write the review and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Outrigger ‘Vuvale’ (family).

Reviewed July 7, 2010

A friend and I have recently returned from the outrigger on the lagoon and it was the most amazing holiday I have ever been on. The people at the hotel are the most friendly people. You cant walk past anyone without them saying Bula. Every meal we had was amazing and the breakfasts are to die for. We did a tour to the hot springs which was very nice and learnt alot about FIjians. We also did the river tour to a village which was also amazing. We did the cooking class and thought we would be cooking. turns out you watch an executive chef cook and get to eat the delicious food. The beach wasnt very nice. I swam in there once but needed to wear thongs as it was very rocky. You will never be bored as there is always an activity in. From what I observed if you have children this is the most ideal place to go. Your children will be very well looked after. Nothing is over priced with lunch from $10-$15 and dinner from $15-$30. The cocktails are pretty strong but still very nice. Even if you dont get a treatment you have to go up to Bebe spa. The view is amazing. If i had to say anything was bad I would say the aircon in the standard rooms is to cold even if you change the temp.It also isnt the best place to stay if you want nightlife but great for a relaxing holiday. I will recommend this hotel to everyone.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank gurty22
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 12, 2010

Bula gurty22!

Thank you for taking the time to provide valuable feedback regarding your stay with us. We appreciate your wonderful feedback on the service you received from our staff. Our staff is our greatest asset and your comments reflect their hard work and dedication to guests.

It was a pleasure to welcome you on this Outrigger Holiday and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Outrigger 'Vuvale' (Family).

Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed at this resort with a party celebrating birthday milestones.

From the arrival - being greeted by the "Bula" man on the resort gate to the check-in all the staff were friendly and very accomodating.

Our group stayed in deluxe ocean view (interconnecting)rooms with balcony overlooking the resort and lagoon. We enjoyed the nightly Talai service (champagne / cannapes).

The restaurants provided a good range of meals and the 'Ivy' restaurant in particular was a favourite.

Our group also enjoyed the services available at the Be Be spa located high on the hill at the resort overlooking the resort and lagoon.

We also had the pleasure of meeting Peter Hopgood - General Manager of Outrigger on the Lagoon one evening at the Kalckalo and Bar located up at the Be Be Spa. A great place for an early evening drink and tapas or a relaxing drink after one of the spa treatments.

This resort was a pleasure to stay at and this can be credited to the management and staff knowing how to give their guests a Fijian holiday experience to remember

Bula iitravel!

Vinaka for your kind feedback! We thank you for choosing us as your holiday destination. Your wonderful comments on Bebe Spa, hilltop Kalokalo Bar, resort amenities and the lovely staff were especially enjoyable to read! We will gladly share your comments with our staff. Our team takes great pride in ensuring even the smallest facet of your stay is enjoyable and a reflection of the genuine warmth of the Fijian people.

Once again thank you for recommending our property on trip advisor and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Outrigger 'Vuvale'(Family).

Vinaka

Reviewed July 4, 2010

Phenomenal service!

The people of Fiji are the most friendly people in the world.

I stayed here for work and we were treated very well. Even though we arrived first thing in the morning all the rooms were ready for everyone in our group! We were served delicious fresh fruit juice while we checked in. The actually prefer this to champagne if it is first thing in the morning and I have been traveling for 18 hours...

Before we left Vancouver we phoned and booked spa treatments. I had the four handled massage with two therapists. This and the other massages at the hotel's top notch Bebe Spa are highly recommended. The hilltop ocean view facility is the most serene spa I have ever seen. The in door out door south pacific garden bliss with a warm breeze and private out door sea view bath and showers.

All the rooms are contemporary with ocean view balconies as far as I could tell and the rest of the accommodations are beach bures. Resort is huge and laid out kind of weird I think they added on different parts at different times. The tropical gardens are so amazing and well kept.

The food is ok. BBQ restaurant was mediocre and slow (and I never say island service is slow not even about Jamaican service so Im not sure whats up with that). I think the food was fine for what is was. Lots of Australian families... kids are picky eaters, right? So buffet is probably appealing to those guests. Fresh fruit for breakfast is always good and theirs was fresh and tasty. Their blender shakes were delicious too. The champagne they serve is nice.

There is a nature preserve across the street and the hotel has a path under the street to give easy access (I think you go by the tennis courts). We strongly recommend visiting!

This hotel is not for couples and it does not have a nice beach. Go to the outer islands for beach. The best part about this hotel is the five star service.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank Great_Expectations84
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2010

Bula Great_ Expectations84,

It is only through your valuable comments that we can continue to improve our product and service for you our valued guest. I will pass on your comments to our team and share your experience. I am delighted to note that your comments in which you praise the efficiency of our team work and excellent hospitality of our staff. Also, I was glad to know that our resort amenities and service exceeded your expectations! Thank you for recommending our Bebe Day Spa, we certainly do pride ourselves in offering Fiji’s finest Spa facility. I look forward to passing your feedback onto the team. We have noted your comments regarding the service you received from our food and beverage team. Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences caused. The Outrigger team strives to achieve the best possible service experience and we continually train our team on five star service delivery. School holiday periods are a popular time at the resort for families however if you are able to travel outside school holidays you may find it is predominantly couples not families. Our beach is more of a coral beach than sandy beach but this makes for fabulous snorkeling when the tide is in and of course interesting exploring when tide is out. Please also note that we are currently in the process of totally regenerating our front beach area. Once again we thank you for taking the time to write the review and we look forward in welcoming you back to the Outrigger ‘Vuvale’ (family).

Reviewed July 4, 2010

We had an 8 day stay in June, all I can say is amazing. The grounds are like a rain forest, The rooms are large with very comfy beds and pillows. If your budget permits get the deluxe ocean view rooms so you can get the Talai butler service, Champagne and canape's delivered each night, or upgrade to the PLantation Bures. There are plenty of options for meals, so you will never get bored. The food quality is as good as you'll get in any hotels in Australia. Some people in others reviews complain about the price of the food, I think if you convert it back to AUS$ and account for the fact that Fiji is located in the middle of the ocean and the logistics of getting food there, plus the fact that all hotels and resorts charge more for eating on their premises anywhere in the world. We found the prices reasonable, we did eat at a few of the restaurants located next to the resort, quality wasnt as good, but it was cheaper, and tasted okay. The activities put on by the resort were great there was always something to do. We had a great time playing Volleyball daily with Joe and Tiaone. And finally the fantastic staff are what really make this resort special they are amazing, and we both got very teary when we were serenaded with the farewell song on our final day. We wanted to make a special mention to Api, Jona, Rupeni, Emori, Jerry and the lovely lady who works on breakfast in IVI on the desk ( I forgot how to spell her name, Sorry) These staff truely made the stay very special. We will be back

2  Thank revitt600
Manjita, Guest Relations Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2010

Bula revitt600!

Many thanks for your kind feedback! We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your Outrigger on the Lagoon experience. The staffs take great pride and will be pleased to receive your comments. Thank you for recommending our property on trip advisor.

We look forward to your return to Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji Vuvale (Family).

Reviewed July 3, 2010

We stayed in a Deluxe Ocean View Room at the Outrigger for 11 nights in June and found the resort to be a perfect destination for a relaxing family holiday. The only criticism would be the numbers of children that were in attendance during our break but there were quiet areas where one could escape the ‘playground’ noises. The rooms were large and had great views but the service was sometimes slow. On two occasions we returned to the room after 2pm to find that it had yet to be serviced which was slightly irritating but two times out of 10 is not a bad average. Food is quite expensive, probably due to the fact that you are a captured audience and the nearest town, Sigatoka, does not have any real alternative options. We took the Meal Plan, which works out slightly cheaper, for five days but found that the amount of food you consumed to be too much – we did not use up our lunch vouchers until the penultimate day. We ended up juggling our meals and still managed to put on some weight! There are quite a few dining options and we utilised all the venues. The entertainment at the Buffet Nights was good but the tranquillity of the Kalokalo Bar at the Bebe Spa, where children under the age of 13 are not allowed was really appreciated as were the delightful tapas that were served there. The lagoon pool is a good size but seems quite full most of the time and the 11am pool aerobics and the volleyball were well attended. Kayaks and snorkels can also be hired at no cost. There are plenty of activities organised by the hotel and the Kid’s Club caters especially for their needs. The minders seemed to enjoy their job and were forever coming up with different games for the young ones. The beach was OK but nothing special but one could walk for quite a way, especially when the tide was out. There are plenty of excursions to pick from at the Tours Desk but one of the ‘must dos’ is located right on the hotel’s door step – the Kula Eco Park, which is home to many of the rare indigenous Fijian wildlife and where one can handle the Fijian Boa as well as the Fiji Banded Iguana. A very good hotel which we heartily recommend but remember that the roads in Fiji are quite slow and the transfer from Nadi Airport or the marina at Denarau takes well over an hour.

2  Thank FarEastTraveller33
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!