“Perfect”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed June 16, 2014

I returned to the Outrigger for my second stay in March this year. My husband and I stayed for 12 nights with our 2 boys aged 5 and 2 and as with our first stay 12 months previously everything was once again perfect.

The adults pool is a wonderful addition which my husband and I enjoyed most afternoons whilst the children were at kids club. We regularly used the Meimei service for our 2 year old which is very reasonably priced and the care our son received was amazing.

We had all our meals at the resort and the food and service we received was great. My husband and I dined at Ivy twice and this is a must. The food was amazing and the attention that was given to us by the staff left us feeling very special.

The staff at this resort are wonderful, very friendly and cannot do enough for you. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left we were treated like royalty.

The service we received by the pool from Buffy and Anna was excellent, we were never left wanting for anything.

It is great to see management walking around taking the time to talk to the guests and chatting with the staff. I have stayed at a few different resorts in Fiji and have never seen this level of interaction from management. Thanks to Lindsey and Russell for the poolside chats it is wonderful that you can take the time to talk.

I cannot fault this resort in any way from beautiful and caring management and staff, the grat food and spectacular sunsets this resort has it all. Upon leaving I feel like I am leaving part of my family behind.

I cannot wait to return again next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Donna1910
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2014

Dear Donna1910

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a memorable experience, particularly seeing that it was your second visit! As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most definitely share your comments with the team at the Ivi Restaurant and also Buffy and Anna from around the swimming pool.
How good is the new “Adults Only” swimming pool, Vahavu? This new addition to the resort has made an enormous difference for our guests – The main pool is still lots of fun with the kids going crazy, whilst Vahavu is totally chilled out and relaxing.
I was pleased to read that you caught up with Lindsey and Russell. Out of 650 staff that we employ at the resort, we only employ 3 expats including myself.
Donna1910, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji for your third visit.

Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was the absolute worst place we have ever stayed. The staff did not want to be there and I only found 3 who I thought were Fiji friendly. We travel to Fiji every year and thought that we would have a change from the usual 2 resorts we stay at. Fijians are naturally friendly happy people except at this The Outrigger. Also they kept trying to charge us $6 for a bottle of water from the bar fridge which was still in the damn fridge. They also charged our room for 2 adult breakfasts that we did not have. This place was a shambles from the beginning when we had to wait an hour and a half for our room to be cleaned. Kids club was also a real chore for the workers here.this is NOT a kid friendly resort.Do not stay here. There are so many much better places than this with the friendliest of staff where nothing is to much trouble.

Room Tip: My tip is to stay at a different resort than this one. Even the kids club was pitiful
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
7  Thank Dallas N H
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear Dallas N H

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Whilst we embrace all comments that we receive from readers of Trip Advisor, unfortunately we cannot sit back and accept comments that are outright false!
Our “Kids Club is rated as one of the best in Fiji and we have a wonderful team of dedicated attendants that look after the children. You will note from comments from other reviewers to Trip Advisor that the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is our outstanding staff. We have the warmest friendliest staff of any resort in Fiji, if not the South Pacific. This was noted at the recent Trip Advisor Awards wherein Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted as the number Family Resort not just in the South Pacific but also Australia and New Zealand – The resort was voted as the 14th best family resort in the world!
It is obvious that families do love us!

Reviewed June 16, 2014

We stay here for 4 days, the pool is amazing, its huge! Food was great, try the pizza's..
Great place for kids, have a great kids club. The spa on top of the hill was bliss! Its a must!
Amazing sunsets!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Dear Nominz

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort!
It is easy to understand why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji was voted as the “Number One Family Resort” in all of Australia and the South Pacific at the recent Trip Advisor “Traveler’s Choice” awards. As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the world.
I also appreciated your glowing comments on our restaurants.
Nominz, we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

We a couple in our late 50's have just got back from 8 nights at this wonderful resort. We couldn't have had a better experience for our first visit to Fiji. The Fijian people are so beautiful and it's the staff which are the standout at the resort. We stayed in an Ocean View Deluxe room which was clean and comfortable, the grounds are immaculate, the choice of restaurants great - I have commented on my 2 favourites separately - the adults only pool is heaven although we did use the family pool at times and it was nice to sit back and watch the children having a great time. The Bebe Spa was very relaxing. Great mix of age groups and people all relaxed and friendly. Would like to especially mention Moses from the Sundowner Bar and Grill - such a lovely gentle waiter who was always so welcoming. The trio who sang in the lounge bar most nights were just fantastic - what a great way to end an evening We loved every minute of our stay and can't wait to come back.
Vinaka Margaret & Terry (704)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank HappygirlBrisbane

Dear HappygirlBrisbane

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort. As you found out our staff make all of the difference! I will most definitely share your comments with Moses from the Sundowner Bar and Grill. How good are the treatments at the Bebe Spa. It is easy to understand why this outstanding Spa facility was voted “Best International Spa” at last year’s Pevonia Spa Awards. I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed the live entertainment in the Vakavanua Lounge each evening!
HappygirlBrisbane, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We all look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

This was our 3rd trip to Fiji but the first for our family and friends ( there was 45 of us all up there for our wedding)
We had stayed at the Sheraton, Sofitel and matamanoa island before but this was the first time we had stayed at the outrigger and it is my favourite out of them all by far!
I found with the other resorts after a couple of days the bula! Wore off and staff hardly acknowledged you but at the outrigger if never stopped. we had spent the first night in a normal room then 7 nights in a bure and we were disappointed that they couldn't just give us the bure for the first night aswell as it was empty and we had already spent so much as 2 of our children are classed as adults so we also paid for another room not to mention all the guests that came with us, but once we got to our room I would've been happy to stay there and next time won't even bother getting a bure the rooms are just gorgeous.
Our wedding day was amazing and nothing was too much trouble the food was great and the chapel and reception area were just gorgeous. We ate at most of the restaurants, my fav would be the nadi bay bug at the sundowner even though they advertised it as nadi bay bug fresh from the ocean to your plate but we then were told that wasn't true it was actually moreton bay bug ( false advertising and I don't know why they do that, I still would've ordered it)
The garlic prawn wrap by the pool and fish and chips were also amazing and although people complain about the price I think it was well worth it.
The beds were really comfy and clean and the butlers just gorgeous and I wish I had got their names so I could thank them.
I think that's about it anyone even considering it just do it you won't regret it.

Stayed: June 2014
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 15, 2014

Lizziedavis

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful holiday and wedding experience at our beautiful resort.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you. As you found out they are very engaging and love coming to work!
I was pleased to read that our banquets team took such good care of you on your wedding day. It is easy to understand why Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is rated as the number resort in the South Pacific for weddings. We have our own hair salon, photographers, florists plus a beautiful chapel overlooking the stunning Fiji coastline.
Lizziedavis, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Reviewed June 13, 2014

We just got back from 7 nights at the Outrigger where we attended a mate's wedding. As I said to the lovely couple, "Thanks for inviting us to your honeymoon!" Well, that's what it seemed like. This place is pretty much paradise. We really needed the short break, TLC and the burst of vitamin D. We stayed in a Plantation Bure behind the main kitchen so on the rare occasions we had time to swing on the hammock seat outside we could hear the kitchen fans and the clatter and laughter from inside the staff kitchen - but after a while this just faded into insignificance. Lets face it - that's all we could hear - no cars, no trains, no planes. Hardly anyone walked past our bure so our privacy was not intruded upon at all. No sea view for us ($$$ extra for one of those) - it was not our wedding after all but our bure was spacious and very well maintained. We loved the King bed - beautiful bedding, room refresh daily and fresh sheeting every 2nd day and a turndown every night a few hours after our butler delivered pre-dinner drinks and canapé's. Friends of ours did stay in one of the concrete block rooms and their room was quite nice but a fraction of the space and price of our bure, though they were lucky in that they were absolute beachfront. They mentioned that they were somewhat disturbed by staff golf cart shuttles powering along behind their room at night and early morning. Go the Bure as we suffered none of that. We were never interrupted by noise inside our bure.

We met the General Manager Peter, when we chose to do the free 'Back of House Tour' one day. This was very entertaining and we learnt a lot about how this huge place runs. We highly recommend ducking along for the tour. Peter brought it all into perspective when he outlined the huge staff number that keep this resort humming.

We had a massage together at the Bebe Spa which was really nice and cost us about $106 AUD each - so nice that wifey went back again for another when I went fishing. I know that there are cheaper massages to be found along the beachfront outside the resort but for my money I got some relaxing time being massaged beside my wife, on the summit of a hill with a world class view of the resort, lagoon and ocean below. That was worth the premium price I say. The restaurants were all pretty good and we sampled most but not all venues on the resort. Oysters in Fiji were 3rd grade (due to the travel or we think that they washed them in fresh water) but the beef was very good. Beef burger and chips beside the pool for a late lunch was great - ordered and arrived medium rare. Rack of lamb in the Sundowner had been stripped of its cover of fat so was lifeless and flavourless. Breads in the resort were over sugary. But all is forgiven. The live music in most venues was absolutely amazing. We have not danced so much for ages.

Some of the negative comments I have read on this site about this resort do leave me a tad bemused. Someone negatively said that there was nothing to do...... That is the whole point of it if you choose. As for us, the 8 days weren't long enough. We spent most days truly relaxing at the Adults Only Pool with its swim up bar. Wifey had her massages at Bebe, we both did some snorkelling out in the lagoon and we had some days where we did our own thing. One day I went offshore fishing from Mango Bay (which I highly recommend) while wifey lazed the day away. Some mates went off for a round of golf at another resort, another day we bussed into Sigatoka ($1 fjd each) and had a fun few hours there, and another we got up early and bussed North and did a full day yacht and snorkel cruise (Whale Song) out to the islands returning about 1830. Most of the time we just lazed and chilled in the sun. Evenings were spent wining and dining with a little bit of dancing to the live music. Really fun. Yes, the wines are very expensive but factor in the huge taxes heaped on wine sales in Fiji and just suck it up.

Fiji seems relatively uncluttered and underpopulated. The locals are really friendly and do have a low income compared to westerners. Their welcome in most cases I think is genuine.

When one thinks about the many hundreds of staff working at this resort we think that it was overall well worth the resort price. There are cheaper less prestigious places to stay beside the resort but you get what you pay for, and you won't get breakfast buffet available there at 6am if you have a day trip planned which is available at the Outrigger. And yes, I did get the gift of a dose of Fiji Belly from the resort for my last full day there, but I genuinely think that management tries the upmost to prevent this from happening.

Would we go back if time permitted. Hell yes.

Room Tip: Plantation Bure for us but when I win Lotto we will go back and stay in a Beachfront Bure.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank KimandCheryl

Dear KimandCheryl

A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We are absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a memorable holiday. As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort is our amazing staff - I will most definitely share your comments with our team. It was great to catch up with you on our back of house tour. As you found out there is a lot involved in running a big resorts but at the end of the day it is a lot of fun!
I appreciate your comments about our restaurants – I have shared these comments, both good and bad, with our Executive Chef, Shailesh Naidu.
I am with you on the activities at the resort – There is seriously so much to do both within and also outside the resort – I personally recommend 10 days as the amount of time to spend at the resort to fully enjoy all of these activities.
KimandCheryl – Once again we thank you for your comments - We all look forward to welcoming you back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji, at some time in the not too distant future!

Reviewed June 11, 2014

We had our wedding/honeymoon and first family holiday here and I wouldn't change a thing!
Even though there were a few hiccups on our wedding day the resort made up for it ten fold. The staff really do make this place, you are greeted by a friendly smile and Bula everywhere you go. The staff were amazing with the kids and they really do become family friends - Diema and Talei! The restaurants and staff were fantastic, Moses always made sure we were happy, he is fantastic at what he does. Asmeen my wedding co-ordinator is a brides best-friend and I shall never forget her. Our butler Sac went above and beyond his call of duty and was amazing to us, I would personally like to get in touch with him so I can send his family some presents. Peter the GM made sure everything was perfect for us. There are a million more people we could thank for making our wedding/honeymoon/1st family holiday everything we dreamed of, I wish I had written everybody's names down. We are now saving for our next holiday xxx VINARKA

Room Tip: We got upgraded to the Bures and highly recommend them for families. It was perfect for the kids to...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank AMHayward2014
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2014

Dear AMHayward2014
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed your wedding, honeymoon and holiday at our beautiful resort!
As you found out, we are blessed with the friendliest staff that you will find anywhere in the world. I will most definitely share your comments with Diema, Talei, Moses and Zac.
Can you please send your contact details to my email address gm@outriggerfiji.com.fj and I will provide you with Zac’s contact details. I was also pleased to read your comments regarding Asmeen, your wedding planner.
AMHayward2014, once again we thank you for your comments - all of my team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future!
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!