“Just don't get it”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Brisbane
“Just don't get it”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We stayed here in November 2013. My sister had come from Canada and after staying at Denarau we wanted to go somewhere with a beach. The Outrigger always seemed to get good reviews and from the pictures appeared to have a beach. Wrong!
I called the resort direct and requested two rooms for two couples. When we got there at about 3pm they told us one of the rooms wasn't ready and the other room had two beds. After a long discussion and the hotel insisting they were full (which I doubt very much), we decided we would leave and go down the road to the Shangrila. Suddenly they had two rooms with king beds and even located on a floor with a view. There is no beach, you cant even really swim comfortably in front of the resort. We didn't find the service that friendly compared to elsewhere we've stayed in Fiji. Had to pay for WIFI which free at the other two resorts we stayed at. Just don't get what other people see in this resort.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank Konigv
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Dear konigv

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
We thank you for your review.
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
I have noted your comments in relation to your request for rooms! I sincerely apologise for the misunderstanding that occurred. I have addressed this issue with my front desk team. I have also noted your comments regarding the beach at the resort. Your comments that there is no beach is totally incorrect! Whilst you can not swim or snorkel at low tide there are a wonderful array of water activities that can be undertaken from our beach from mid tide to high tide and back to mid tide. Stand-up surf boards, sea kayaks, peek-a boo kayaks and also snorkeling and swimming are available at these times! We also provide reef walking excursions at low tide.
Konigy, thank you for your comments on Trip Advisor. Hopefully one day you will return to our beautiful resort.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Qld, Australia
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I chose this hotel based on reviews for my 3yo son and I for a week in early Dec. I then discovered lots of friends have happily stayed there! The time of year can be wet but we swam every day and there are lots of kids activities so the storms were beautiful to watch and didn't hold us back. My son loved the pool and the kid friendly areas. I didn't visit the adults only pool but heard it was lovely. The staff are fantastic, from the transfer to big Bula welcome at the gate and throughout the resort. Standouts included the meimei nanny service, babe spa team, talai butler service and the retail store staff. Staff remembered and greeted my son after just a day, he loved the genuinely friendly attention. The day spa is outstanding and well organised, terrific views. We paid the bit extra for ocean front bures and had magical views and service throughout. Food was good in every venue. Only poor service was the crabby team at the Baravi pool bar and restaurant, much older and unfriendly - management should look at better rostering the busiest bar in the resort? We loved it and will be back.

Room Tip: You get what you pay for and the ocean front breezes and outlook is superb!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Grismans

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to the facilities at the resort. There is so much to do, or, should you wish so little!
You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific. I apologise for the lack of service that you received from the staff at the Baravi Restaurant. I have addressed this issue with our Food and Beverage Manager.
I was delighted to read that your son enjoyed the warm and friendly nature of our staff.
Grismans, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you and your son with such a memorable holiday experience. We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed December 11, 2013

Just for the record, we stay in december 2012, when the resort was hit by cyclone Evan, I'm just pondering some of the bad feed back on this site while having a beer and thinking of our next trip to fiji , after coming home from a holiday, today, i hope this may help.Well we've stayed there twice now, the second time was when cyclone Evan hit in Dec 2012, and that was an experience money can not buy, plus the daughter,cut her achilles tendon 3 hours before leaving Brisbane,10 stitches later and crutches, the wife had just been diagnosed with a serious heart condition 5mths before, and I have a autistic son, so if there was something to complain about, or how far things are, or there's nothing to do! I'm sure we had a valid case, the staff supplied a wheel chair, that help getting round resort, both times we stayed in the family plantation rooms, for 7 and 10 nights, both time we arrived by island hoppers, from Nadi and went back by them except the last trip, we wanted to get the taxi back,to see what the supposed , painful,1hr 10 min trip was like, awesome!,we book a taxi through the resort, there on time with no trouble, the driver was Fiji Indian, and gave us a tourer guided drive all the way back to Nadi, through the cyclone ravaged coast. Yes we got to meet the doctor on our first trip, as our son couldn't get enough milk shakes, and some did come out a little warmer than they should, but hey, that happens anywhere, as I have experienced, here this week, on the SunShine Coast at a surf club that has a good rep, three times they sent out, hot on the outside and cold in the middle Dagwood dogs, daughter got sick that night, they offered free dinner following night, go back, son drinks two milk shakes and vomits in toilets at club, so what, thats the way things go, maybe he was a piggy for drinking two shakes? Maybe the milk was sour?,at the end of the day, the staff at the outrigger is what I go there for, love them dearly, the food is brilliant, drinks are good, the only thing I can say bad about the outrigger, is was how embarrassed I was from the lack of help from the guests ,after the cyclone in Dec 2012, to get the place up and running, like the lazy people that abused workers,as we helped them clean up, only hours after. So if you do have a grievance, take a good look at yourself, and say if this is all I've got to whinge about, I must have a pretty miserable life!!!, oh, and if you see the gardeners working, offer them a cold drink, or tell them to come inside for a minute, to get out of the heat, when the cleaners come to do your beds make them sit down , and get your kids to do it, the fun you have with the staff, makes your experience, so much more. Jump on the local bus, it pulls up at the front of the resort, pay for the who bus of people, it a crack up, at the responses you get, plus it's a fun ride, our trips cost around the $10.000.00 including airfares and all the meals and rooms which are massive, and the helicopter, + $1500.00 spend coin Aust., and we give most of that to the locals. And yes to we have traveled to other countries, and yes, by far , the Outrigger is one of the best places for families you can get! See you in 2014 outrigger. Regards Adam, Albany Creek ,Brisbane,Australia

• Stayed January 2013
2 Thank Greenhulk74
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 12, 2013
Dear Greenhulk74

A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We are absolutely thrilled that we could provide you and your family with such a memorable holiday experience back in December 2012!
As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort are our staff. They love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
Grrenhulk74 – All of my team looks forward to welcoming you and your family back to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji in 2014!

Townsville, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

I have read hundreds of reviews prior to making my booking with Outrigger. So I thought I would add my own experience. I travelled with my husband and two teenage kids and stayed for five nights. We actually got back today and am still recovering from Fiji Withdrawals...am missing it so much!!

Firstly, we had a standard connecting rooms resort views. The rooms are always spotless and so very comfortable. The only thing was the air-cond was too cold, we had to keep turning it off, I got an ear infection and my daughter a cold. But that's a minor detail. (the Doctor on site fixed us up)

The resort is immaculate, beautiful gardens, always kept tidy and the views to the ocean are beathtaking.
The restaurants are all to die for. We tried them all. Our favorite was the Sundowner (best Steak and woodfire Pizza)followed by IVI (best Mahi Mahi dish) and Baravi Poolside.
Also absolutely loved breakfast, with the enormous variety. (I think I put on weight!)
Every lunch, and evening, we had entertainment. Someone would be singing, playing guitar, it was really enjoyable.

My kids and husband went snorkelling and took some amazing footage on go-pro of litlte Nemos and beautiful fish just metres of the resort. There is a lot of activities and amenities, we had a game of tennis, went kayaking, walking at low tide looking for shells...as well as the tours we had organised, the six days were busy very quickly.

The pool is beautiful, big enough to accommodate everyone young and old. I enjoyed lazing about on the sideline sipping on the mojitos the lovely ladies kept bringing me. :)

The staff were the best, with the endless "Bulla" at every corner of the resort, a big smile on their face. Genuinely lovely friendly people. We will miss Anna, with her beautful smile by the Baravi Pool, and so many more to mention.
Nothing was ever to much trouble. Whatever we wanted, the beautiful Outriggers staff would do their best to get.
My husband and I have decided we will come back for our very belated honeymoon (22 years belated!). This is where we want to go back.
Thank you for a great holiday.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear willesfamily

Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are absolutely thrilled to read that you and your family enjoyed your holiday at our beautiful resort! As you found out we are blessed with the friendliest staff that you will find anywhere in the world. Thank you for the wonderful comments about our fine dine restaurant, Ivi and the char grill restaurant, Sundowner Bar and Grill. You can understand why our restaurants are voted as the best in Fji! I loved your comments about the snorkeling adventures that your children undertook! That is the best thing about Outrigger – There is so much to do!
willesfamily, once again we thank you for your enthusiastic comments. Can’t wait to see you back here for your belated honeymoon! I assure you we will make it very special!

Launceston, Australia
Reviewed December 9, 2013

We had no idea what to expect when arriving at the Outrigger and I have to say that these guys have absolutely ruined resorts for us for life! Nothing was too much trouble, the people were absolutely beautiful, friendly and the food OMG!!! We all left after six nights with slightly tighter belts, very full tummies and MASSIVE smiles on our faces.
When these guys say 'Bula, welcome home' they mean every single word of it and let me tell you.... these guys have hospitality down PAT!!
A HUGE thanks to the staff at the Vahavu adults only area in particular. Never was our glass empty, nor every need or whim taken care of, even down to helping us out when terribly lost in Sigatoka : )
This is a 5 star resort min every sense of the word and even if this had been a child inclusive holiday instead of a parents retreat, I am certain that we would have still had an amazing time with the fantastic facilities offered. Definitely going back.... again and again and again.l
Thanks Outrigger.... was sad to leave. 10/10 from us : )

Room Tip: GO for the Talai butler service if you can afford the extra. Its amazing and they cannot do enough f...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Tender11
Dear Tender11

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
It sounds like you had a “seriously outstanding” holiday experience!
As you have stated the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is our wonderful staff – They love coming to work and engaging with our guests! I will most definitely share your comments with team at Vahavu!
I also thank you for your comments on our restaurants – You can understand why they are rated as the best in the South Pacific!
Tender11, thank you for taking the time to provide comment on trip advisor. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 9, 2013

For families with younger kids I’d say The Fijian is much better, for couples invest in a hut (they call them some posh name and they are Posh Huts). This is not to say there are good things about this resort but it will depend much more on what you want to pay up front and then on your holiday. Value is The Fijian, better quality is The Outrigger. We went with kids twice. First time the weather was good and all the resort eateries were open, staff happy and friendly, all good. Second time, the weather was average, and the knock on effect on the staff was miserable and a third of the restaurants closed. Some up sides: Nothing wrong with the breakfast (best poached eggs), canapés at 6pm delivered to your room, donkey ride down the beach (it may have been a small pony). Beach is very average. Pool is very good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Dear ServicelsA11WeN

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation for your return visit - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
To be honest I have found your comments quite difficult to respond to! We never close our restaurants and our staff are the happiest that you will find in all of the South Pacific.
We do not have donkey rides and in fact we do not offer horse rides???? I am totally confused!
It should be noted that the restaurants at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are rated as the best in Fiji. We source our product from all over the world with our beef coming from Cape Grim in Tasmania, Australia. Whilst our prices have slightly gone up, overall the cost of our food and beverage at the resort is approximately 40% to 50% cheaper than comparable Australian resorts.
ServicelsA11WeN, Once again we thank you for your comments!

Sacramento, California
Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here for some R and R after a driving trip in New Zealand. We had never been to Fiji before and we were not totally sure what to expect. The Outrigger is a nice hotel and the staff definitely embodies the friendly Fijian spirit. This hotel has lots of family oriented activities and amenities, however they do a nice job offering "adults only" areas if you are looking for something quieter. Overall we enjoyed ourselves, however I took away one star because the guest rooms could really use an upgrade, particularly the shower/tub and WC.
This is a nice mid-range place to stay. They advertise themselves as a 5 star resort and I am not sure that I agree with that rating by American standards. It may be that the expectations are different in this part of the world. It was our first time to Fiji.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Mhlefforge

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you. As you found out they are very engaging and love coming to work!
I have noted your comments regarding the quality of the bathrooms! We are currently in the planning stage of refurbishing our bathrooms!
Mhlefforge, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,022 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!