“Nice hotel, great staff, rooms only ok” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sacramento, California
“Nice hotel, great staff, rooms only ok”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I came here for some R and R after a driving trip in New Zealand. We had never been to Fiji before and we were not totally sure what to expect. The Outrigger is a nice hotel and the staff definitely embodies the friendly Fijian spirit. This hotel has lots of family oriented activities and amenities, however they do a nice job offering "adults only" areas if you are looking for something quieter. Overall we enjoyed ourselves, however I took away one star because the guest rooms could really use an upgrade, particularly the shower/tub and WC.
This is a nice mid-range place to stay. They advertise themselves as a 5 star resort and I am not sure that I agree with that rating by American standards. It may be that the expectations are different in this part of the world. It was our first time to Fiji.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 8, 2013
Mhlefforge

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your husband had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort.
I was delighted to read that our staff took such good care of you. As you found out they are very engaging and love coming to work!
I have noted your comments regarding the quality of the bathrooms! We are currently in the planning stage of refurbishing our bathrooms!
Mhlefforge, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (924)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2013 via mobile

We had a great 8 night stay at The Outrigger. The welcoming 'Bula', drinks and view at the entry was wonderful and the rooms were comfortable and had everything we could have needed. We had two littlies (3 and 1) and it was a long walk to the pool from our ocean view room. The lovely grounds certainly made it less painful but we needed to pack everything when visiting the pool. The kids loved the pool, although it desperately needs resurfacing. The kids menu was fun but lacking vegetables. There is no swim up bar in this pool but the staff take your orders poolside. Lots of cocktail options and a really nice food selection. We found we filled up with the lovely buffet breakfasts so some days skipped lunch.

The restaurant options were good. We even had take away pizza on the resort beach with the kids. We all loved it and weren't confined to seats at a table. The Talei butler service was great. Drinks and canapés before dinner. And our butler Jerry was great fun and even organised a serenade for us at the restaurant for our anniversary.

We visited the Eco Park across the road which was lovely, although expensive. The driving range was also fun for the whole family. We also took the sugar cane train. Very old and rickety and again expensive but we all loved it. The nannies at breakfast were excellent and most staff were really friendly, although some seemed a bit over it. The Spa was lovely with amazing views and activities were plentiful and fun.

All in all we really enjoyed our stay and would definitely recommend to families looking for a fun and trouble free holiday.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Amy_Sash

We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you and your family with such a memorable holiday experience! As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most definitely share your comments with your butler, Jerry. I also thank you for your comments on the activities that are available at the resort – You can do as much as you wish or alternatively just relax, and read a book by the pool! We are most fortunate to have Fiji’s one and only Eco Park only 5 minutes walk from the resort. The team at the zoo does a wonderful job in breeding and caring for rare and endangered species, indigenous to Fiji!
Amy_Sash, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

We stayed in an ocean owe deluxe room which meant we had canapés and champagne delivered every afternoon which was a great touch. The room is nice what you would expect for the price. Nice little touches and the bed is great. There is a huge activity programme should you wish to join in, and looks great for families.. However my husband and I preferred to spend our time by the adult only pool which had a great lap pool and swim up bar and jacuzzi. The food is amazing breakfast was great, the restaurant on the front also excellent in the evening. It is a large resort and all the staff are amazingly friendly as you are walking round. There are shops within the complex should you need anything. There is a bar bright up high great for sunsets that you can get to by a golf cart and have a glass of bubbles and tapas or oysters early in the eve. Really impressed with this place nd would high reccomend

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Travelchick6383
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Travelchick6383

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort! Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. As you found out, they seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I also thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants – You can clearly understand why the restaurants at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are rated as the “best in Fiji”. As you have described, we also provide many other unique services such as talai butlers, meimei nannies, and our kalokalo “adults only” bar overlooking the coastline is to die for!
Travelchick6383, once again we sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Tasmania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed for 4 nights at the Outrigger, except for the reception staff we could not fault the resort. The reception staff appeared disinterested and did not seem to enjoy their jobs, however all other staff we came across were cheerful and could not do enough for us. Meals, although a bit slow in service was excellent. The wine list extensive.
The Outrigger has put in place an adult only pool area which was much appreciated. We loved the Tennis courts and the Spa is indeed world class. Our accommodation was in the deluxe ocean view block, and was very pleasing, my husband and I did frequent the main pool area as well, and it was fantastic to see families enjoying themselves. We will visit the Outrigger again but will bring our grandchildren with us. (We also stayed at Castaway Island for 4 nights, which was disappointing - but I have reviewed this elsewhere)
We purchased the meal package and this was worthwhile. Our butler with the champagne and canapes each afternoon was a lovely chap, and was impeccable.
Well done Outrigger.

Room Tip: The deluxe rooms are for couples, and are very quiet. As for the second floor which leads out to the...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear tascaver

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to the facilities at the resort. There is so much to do, or, should you wish so little!
You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific. I apologise for the lack of service that you received from our reception staff. I have addressed this issue with our front office manager.
I was delighted to read that you and your husband enjoyed the service that you received from your talai butler – This is a unique service to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
tascaver, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience. We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Wangaratta, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

My husband and I stayed at the outrigger for 10 nights on our honeymoon and we were a little dissapointed. The cost of everything was soooooo expensive. The staff were lovley and the Bebe spa was AMAZING, however made you broke after you went there!
We ended up eating most nights next door as it was just eating our money up.

The adult pool was not there last time we went and i loved it alot and think this is a great add on to the resort.

When we left we got charged twice for our room bill and still have not been refunded. I have emailed the resort and have not heard a thing. i have now had to take this up with the bank in order to try and get my money back which made our experience at the outrigger horrible as it was the last thing that happened as we left and now i will remember my stay as been charged twice on checkout!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Dear sonni84

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about providing quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case, we did not deliver on this expectation for your return visit - We sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
I also apologise for the issue regarding your deposit on the credit card. I have requested that our front office manager rectifies this situation immediately. I am delighted to read that you enjoyed the facilities at our new “adults only” swimming pool, Vahavu! This has been a real game changer for the resort.
It should be noted that the restaurants at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are rated as the best in Fiji. We source our product from all over the world with our beef coming from Cape Grim in Tasmania, Australia. Whilst our prices have slightly gone up, overall the cost of our food and beverage at the resort is approximately 40% to 50% cheaper than comparable Australian resorts.
Sonni84, Once again we thank you for your comments!

Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 3, 2013

Location - Middle of the Coral Coast - Beautiful resort however needed to travel for other experiences. Resort was amazing, attention to detail on every aspect of the resort, not one spot was left unattended and cared for.
Entertainment - Traditional Fiji experience which we as a family really enjoyed, get involved the activities are fun and something that the whole family can enjoy from the crab races to pool aerobics. Just be a part of it.
Staff - The staff were amazing nothing was too much trouble I look for service delivery I have to tell you I was surprised and I was delighted by the staff their attitude; dedication to the customer experience, and their commitment to the enterprise. That is if they are good at their job their community well flourish. BULA Not once did we pass a staff member who did not acknowledge us with a smile and a Bula you cannot help but get into the happy space of holidays with that type of atmosphere created by the staff. Thank you Johnatani you made our trip very special and helped our son when needed.
Rooms - Where ever possible a Bure the experience is worth the investment and all that comes with it including the butler service.
Food - Breakfast - buy the vouchers it is worth it, good food and variety. Sundowner Bar check our the Ribs, Pool Bar check out the Chicken Sliders. Drinks are expensive but that is your choice.
Beach - Coral Cove not great for swimming in the sea, you need to go out and about for that experience.
Outside the resort after you have tried all of the above go for a walk there are some local 'joints' that provide cheap eats and drinks with a friendly Fiji smile. You can buy water and beer at a much cheaper price. But all in all this was the full package....Enjoy

Room Tip: If able to afford it take the seaside Bure, which was great, a real holiday experience.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Chrissy204051
Dear Chrissy204051

Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience!
As you found out, it is our staff that makes the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging! I will most definitely share your comments with your talai butler, Jonetani. I was delighted to read that you and the family enjoyed the many and varied activities that we have available at the resort. As you found out the Coral Coast is the cultural and adventure capital of Fiji. There is so much to do both within the resort and also in the local region.
Thank you for your comments regarding our restaurants Yes, our buffet breakfast is definitely one of the best!
Chrissy204051, Once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments.

Regards
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2013

Very good, accommodating and a kid friendly resort that is well planned for a great family holiday.

The family pool is the centrepiece of this awesome resort with most things happening around it. There are lots of planned activities that are more inclusive than competitive.

Don't expect a beach as there is not one...however the coral shelf is magnificent, especially the guided walk activity.

The food and drink is very good but expensive. Expect a local beer to cost $5AU, imported $10AU, cocktail $15AU. A normal restaurant meal is about $30AU.

A short walk away is 'Kokos' which serves excellent cafe style food for about half the price.

Hiring a car is easy and we did it for $85AU a day from a guy at the corner store just out of the resort.

Expect lots of Australians and depending upon the travel specials expect a good number of tattooed beer guzzling Bogans.

A suggestion to the resort: having an adult pool separate to wedding reception area would be good. Everyday there was a wedding meaning no access to the adult pool from mid afternoon.

Overall very good, great staff and beautiful location.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank KJO74
Dear KJ074

A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
We are absolutely thrilled that we could provide you and your family with such a memorable holiday experience!
Whilst we do not get very many unruly guests, I do need to apologise for the small group from a particular wedding party that were little bit uncouth! This is a rare occurrence at Outrigger!
As you found out the best thing about a holiday at our beautiful resort are our staff. They love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
KJ074– All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji for your next visit!

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 2,934 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!