“A Fijian Paradise”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed August 24, 2013

Bula! We spent 8 wonderful nights at the Outrigger in mid-August. From the time we arrived and were warmly welcomed, to the time we regretfully departed, we were surrounded by friendly and obliging staff. Staff who made a particular effort to help us celebrate our 37th wedding anniversary on the last day of our stay.
Our room was 809, just far enough away from any noise from partygoers in the pools or various wedding function areas around the resort. It was very well appointed with a wonderful view over the resort to the ocean and fringing reef.
We did our best to enjoy all of the facilities on offer, and had a great time snorkelling, kayaking and getting plenty of exercise exploring the beautiful flora in this large resort. It was also a treat to interact with the local wildlife: to catch (and release) hermit crabs on the beach, to create a feeding frenzy amongst the little fish in the shallows with some leftover scraps from breakfast, and to watch and listen to the frogs that emerged every night for their nocturnal activities. It was a photographer's dream. I couldn't stop taking photos of all the exquisite flowers, trees, nooks and crannies. And the sunsets were surreal.
There are plenty of food options and while the standard of the food was generally high, a couple of our meals suffered from disappointingly small portions. It would also have been nice to have a good range of simple sandwiches or other snacks when breakfast was so satisfying that you just wanted something small to tide you over until evening. The buffet breakfasts and dinners are designed for big appetites and have plenty of delicious variety.
One area we particularly appreciated was the adults only pool area. An early morning swim and coffee at the swim up bar was a great way to start the day, and a quiet afternoon of reading in the comfy lounges of the undercover area was very relaxing.
The one downside for us was the Wifi availability. We paid for 7 days access to Wifi but for much of our stay, it was nonexistent or intermittent at best. There were things happening back home that we needed to keep in touch with, and so there were periods of frustration and our calls to the IT folk didn't seem to improve our access.
Some staff made a particular impression on us during our stay. Our butler Lusia was just wonderful - so friendly and helpful and the effort she made to help celebrate our anniversary was something we will never forget. We saw Edwina every morning at breakfast and what a delight it was to see her smiling face and enjoy her warm greeting. And of course Mosese - what a gentleman, what a host, what a friend. To be honest, we found all the staff gracious and friendly and have raved about them ever since. Thank you Outrigger for all the happy memories of fun in the sun, romance in the evening, all with first class facilities, friendly staff, the talented musicians. We hope to come back one day. Vinaka!

Room Tip: 8th floor from 800 to 810 are quietest and have best views of the ocean. I didn't want a Bure wh...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rose1455
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Rose1455

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience and 37th anniversary at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to our staff! I will most definitely pass your comments onto Lusia, your butler. You can clearly understand why Outrigger was voted the best resort at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards. We are blessed with the friendliest staff you will find anywhere in the South Pacific.
As you found out, Fijians love a celebration! I was delighted to read that they made the day of your anniversary a special day indeed! I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the facilities at our new “Adults Only” swimming pool, Vahavu - What a great place to chillout! I do apologise for the wifi reception. Only this week we have upgraded this facility to allow for better reception.
Rose1455, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience.
We look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Write a ReviewReviews (3,208)

Reviewed August 23, 2013

I will start by apologising for the length of this review but tried to add details that I was looking for when reading reviews :) We have just returned from our 10 day family holiday with twins aged 5, mum and best friend. We stayed in a Family Plantation Bure (Rooms 452 and 453) which was great as it has an interconnecting room so if someone woke up early they could go and relax on the couch in there and not disturb others. Our bures were located next to the adults pool which closes at 6pm. We encountered three weddings in the pool venue which could get noisy but kids were so tired after fun filled days that they slept through it and latest finish was 10.30pm. I beleive that there was pretty much a wedding everyday at the Outrigger and was greatful that they did not all use this venue as that may have been annoying. Our Talai Butler (Jerry) was great and could not fault anything. We used the mei Mei service for the four adults to go and enjoy a massage together and Naumai was lovely and wished I had utilised this earlier in our stay rather than day prior to leaving. 2 hours cost $38 FJD (approx $23AUD - converted at 1.60). Ana and Paulina from Housekeeping were deligtful and nothing was too much trouble. We at at the Sundowner 2 nights and the Pizza's were lovely but the steak left a bit to be desired as did the lack of steak knives! We had the Buffet Breakfast daily $42FJD which was lovely and tied us over until dinner (kids had a buffet lunch when we could drag them out of the pool!) We ate a couple of nights at Vale Ni kana (various Buffet dinners - Bula Semi, my kids thought he was great!) which all were nice and 2 nights at Bavari restaurant and would have eaten more times there but the Aisan/Indian Menu was not amendable to all in our party. Shame they don't offer their lunch menu at dinner time as we found the menu for lunch was great (Example, fish and chips and Ceaser salad) I was surprised that there were not more fish dishes on menus. We tossed up whether to get a meal package and were greatful that we didn't and we are generally good eaters :) Staff were lovely, kids club great my daughter asked if she could go every morning. Pool was large but felt a tad cold all the time and the bottom of the pool is quite rough in spots (obviouslys needs a repair) as the kids grazed themselves on it - no big deal though. We caught the local bus into Sigatoka ($1FJD) and this stops directly outside the resort and is s great way to see the local area and would recommend this (just not at school time or you will be caught on a bus with a hundred kids! Certainly an experience :) We did a tour to the local Village and had a Kava ceremony and the opportunity to buy their local goods and learn about the Fijian way which was great, unfortunately some ignorant people were on this tour and please be mindful to take a sarong and wear sleeves (tshirt is fine and sarong is to cover your knees). The massive BULA on arrival set us up for a wonderful stay and would definately return. Wish it was a tad closer to the airport as about an 1 hour drive away - but well worth it. On a final note, three out of the four of us felt that we did not get the massage described at Bebe Spa but the ambience is wonderful. Bula Vinaka

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank moo21_2000
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2013

Dear moo21_2000

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

We really do appreciate the informative comments that you have provided to readers of Trip Advisor – No review is ever to big!
It sounds like you and the twins had a fabulous holiday! Thank you for your comments about our staff. I will most definitely share your comments with Anna, Jerry, Naumai and Paulina. I have noted your extensive comments regarding your meals at the resort – Obviously we still have a little bit of work to do to refine our service in this area of our operations! I will also follow up with our spa manager regarding your treatments.
Moo21_2000, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed August 22, 2013

We just had a family holiday with our 2 children aged 9&8.
We stayed in a plantation bure - nice and private where ours was situated sharing a path with one other bure - hammock out on the deck was cause of many an argument! They were a bit on the small side from what I had envisaged, and the kids foldout bed was just standard size. But overall happy with it and glad we upgraded from the resort style accomodation.
The welcome we received was wonderful especially at the end of a long day - we arrived after 9pm - and the concierge and bookin staff could not do enough for us.
The people in general were wonderful. Their attitude was spot on, always happy - and so nice with the kids. You end up saying 'Bula" 150 times a day!
Much is said about the "Fiji Time" thing and its effect on service - but we did not find that at all - service was great and prompt 95% of the time.
Choice of restaurants was good - with 3 options for the kids to eat at as part of the "kids eat free" deal that we got. breakfast had a full range of options.
Plenty of activities for the kids throughout the day with scheduled events varying from crab racing, snorkelling, treasure hunts, coconut bowling, volleyball, kava ceremonies.
Talai butler service was great - they are very helpful and will do anything to make your stay comfortable
We found the days all meshed into one - which I regard as the sign of a good holiday. Before we knew it it was time to go home :(.

Room Tip: Try and get a bure away from the main paths
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank SawtellRocket70

SawtellRocket70

Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort. As you found out there are plenty of activities for the children as well as Mum and Dad. We appreciate your comments about our talai butler service – This service is unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji and provides one on one time for our guests with our butlers to ask all of those questions about Fiji.
SawtellRocket70, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you and your family back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future

Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and my two grandchildren 2 girls 7 and 5 had a fantastic time . The resort is amazing the new adult pool is peaceful and has a great vibe due to the lovely staff there.
The main pool which is where we spent most of our time is one of the biggest I have stayed in for a while .
The staff every where from the restaurants to reception around the pool all over the resort are friendly and would remember our names pretty much from the 1st couple days there.
Great food only downside was that there could be another couple restaurants that you could take children as we ate with our grandchildren every night we only had 3 options Buffets Asian Sundowner.because they were tired by end of the day we only ate once at the buffet.We stayed 10 nights and would go back in a heartbeat thank you Outrigger Staff for a wonderful holiday.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2013

Dear nanagabriel

Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you and your grandchildren had a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort.
As you found out it is our staff that make the difference – unbelievably friendly and engaging!
Thank you for your comments on our new “Adults Only” swimming pool, Vahavu. The opening of this new facility has brought a wonderful balance to the resort.
nanagabriel, once again we thank you for your comments. We look forward to the day when you return to beautiful Fiji!

Reviewed August 19, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed at the Outrigger for a reunion of friends and for my birthday. The welcome we received and the service provided was outstanding. Quick check in with complimentary iced tea that was delicious. Porterage/bell service was very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a beachfront bure which was definitely worth the extra money, with all the little extras included. Our butlers were just fantastic! The new addition of the adults pool with swim up bar, that is located far away from the kids pool (added bonus) was fantastic and the service from the wait staff at the pool was outstanding....you were never without a drink! All of the staff were very friendly and they all made you feel like you were part if the family! Our last day at the Outrigger will certainly be one I will never forget...being surprised with cake and a song for my birthday, being serenaded the "goodbye" song and then discovering our butler had left a birthday message in our bure, made of flower petals! What a surprise! Would definitely recommend this resort to anyone travelling to Fiji and the coral coast! Outstanding!

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Stainlay148
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Stainlay148

Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience at our beautiful resort. Thank you for your comments in regards to our staff! I will most definitely pass your comments onto your butlers.
As you found out, Fijians love a celebration! I was delighted to read that they made the day of your birthday a special day indeed!
Stainlay148, I am absolutely thrilled that my team could provide you with such a memorable holiday experience.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We (family of four, kids 4 & 6) have recently returned from a relaxing 10 nights at the Outrigger. We wish we were still there enjoying the warm weather.

Accomodation- We stayed in an Ocean View Bure (413) which was in a fantastic location close to the pool, beach and restaurants. We actually booked a Plantation Bure but after a little problem with the location of the bure we were allocated, we were lucky enough to be upgraded. I loved our bure, I wouldn't call it 5 star luxury accomodation, more 4 star tropical feel accomodation. The bures are cool, clean, very roomy and comfortable. Our butlers Miri and Tave were great and we all enjoyed our evening drinks and canapés on the bure verandah. The lawn out the front of the bure was a perfect area for the kids to run around and play. There was a little bit of noise from the Sundowner and the Vakavanua Lounge but it didn't bother us and our kids were asleep by 8pm at the latest.

Food - Previously my husband I have stayed on a couple of the islands and with the kids at the Shangri-la and the food here is by far the best we've had. I am Coeliac and Vego and I never went hungry. The kids and I loved having our lunch lounging around by the pool, my husband was still full from breakfast. From your sun lounge you can order from the poolside menu or pizzas from the Sundowner. I really enjoyed the gluten free pizzas from the Sundowner and the specially made GF pancakes at breakfast. If you have special dietary requirements don't be shy about asking.

Kids - Our kids had an absolute ball at the pool. They went to kids club one morning and liked it but loved the pool more. My daughter had her hair braided by the pool. She has pretty thick hair and ended up with 37 braids which is only about A$22. I think it was worth it just keep her hair tidy and done for the whole holiday. A little tip though take a swim hat or spray on sunscreen to prevent a burnt head along the parts. Our kids ate free from the breakfast buffet, kids lunch buffet or kids menu at Takia cafe, poolside, Baravi and the Sundowner. They were happy with their food choices and the staff are more than happy to accommodate fussy eaters like my son. He is the no sauce, no lettuce, no topping boy. They enjoyed the Kula Eco park, I'm not sure but I think you can get a buggy ride across. My 4 year old complained about the walk which isn't really that far.

Beach - The beach is definitely not as nice as the islands or Shangri-la. It was what I expected based on reviews. While we were there the high tide suitable for water sports was early morning. The coral isn't colourful but there are plenty of fish to see. You can see a lot more snorkelling than you can kayaking. Our kids were impressed by the peek a boo kayaks with the viewing window in the bottom.

Activities - The Fijian dance show at the dinner buffet was great the kids loved it but could only stay up once to see it. We also found the crab/frog races too late for our kids. I loved the pool aerobics so funny and so much fun. There's heaps to do within the resort if you want to.

Overall we found the Outrigger a perfect family resort. We went for the sun, food, tropics and to relax with our kids, which we did. It will be a hard holiday to top.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Satch91
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Satch91

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. They seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I was delighted to read that we could provide your children with such a fun filled holiday!
Satch91, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a large hotel spread over a wide area. We were returning for a belated 10 year wedding anniversary after staying here for our honeymoon.
This time we stayed in the main building with interconnecting rooms for our three children. The bedrooms were large and modern and bathrooms a good size. Our only concern was that we were right next to where the wedding parties have their evening reception/disco. This was a bit noisy, but always finished early. Would have been better to have families with young children away from this! There appear to be wedding every day!
The breakfasts were exceptional with a large variety of foods, well presented and you can eat as much as you like.
The two pools were both wonderful. The main pool is vast and well used by children. The other pool is for adults only, just opened and a wonderful sanctuary.
Our children used the kids club a bit. They had caring staff, a varied programme and was lovely to be able to dip in and out of. They give the children a passport with the week's activities on so that they can plan which sessions they may like to do.
We went to the Ivi one night and the food was amazing. It is expensive, but worht it in my opinion.
The real let down was the service in the restaurants, particularly the sundowner. Chaotic and not of a good enough standard. I even complained to the restaurant manager one night, who just laughed at my complaint and walked off! They sometimes serve the starters with the main courses and you are left for ages without a drink.
We met some lovely people and had some brilliant experiences here. It is a beautiful hotel, very friendly staff and guests and a real treat.

Room Tip: Choose carefully, as there are long walks involved.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Tanya K

A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

We are absolutely thrilled that you came back and stayed with us again for your 10th wedding anniversary. We also thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent stay at our beautiful resort. I have noted your comments regarding the noise from the wedding and also the rude manager at Sundowner. I sincerely apologise for both of these issues. I will personally address the manager at Sundowner in order to rectify this area of concern. Thank you for your glowing comments about our “fine dine” restaurant Ivi! You can understand why this particular restaurant was voted as the number one restaurant in Fiji at the Fiji Tourism Awards earlier in the year.
Tanya K - We all look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji,.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!