“Relaxing with our kids”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We (family of four, kids 4 & 6) have recently returned from a relaxing 10 nights at the Outrigger. We wish we were still there enjoying the warm weather.

Accomodation- We stayed in an Ocean View Bure (413) which was in a fantastic location close to the pool, beach and restaurants. We actually booked a Plantation Bure but after a little problem with the location of the bure we were allocated, we were lucky enough to be upgraded. I loved our bure, I wouldn't call it 5 star luxury accomodation, more 4 star tropical feel accomodation. The bures are cool, clean, very roomy and comfortable. Our butlers Miri and Tave were great and we all enjoyed our evening drinks and canapés on the bure verandah. The lawn out the front of the bure was a perfect area for the kids to run around and play. There was a little bit of noise from the Sundowner and the Vakavanua Lounge but it didn't bother us and our kids were asleep by 8pm at the latest.

Food - Previously my husband I have stayed on a couple of the islands and with the kids at the Shangri-la and the food here is by far the best we've had. I am Coeliac and Vego and I never went hungry. The kids and I loved having our lunch lounging around by the pool, my husband was still full from breakfast. From your sun lounge you can order from the poolside menu or pizzas from the Sundowner. I really enjoyed the gluten free pizzas from the Sundowner and the specially made GF pancakes at breakfast. If you have special dietary requirements don't be shy about asking.

Kids - Our kids had an absolute ball at the pool. They went to kids club one morning and liked it but loved the pool more. My daughter had her hair braided by the pool. She has pretty thick hair and ended up with 37 braids which is only about A$22. I think it was worth it just keep her hair tidy and done for the whole holiday. A little tip though take a swim hat or spray on sunscreen to prevent a burnt head along the parts. Our kids ate free from the breakfast buffet, kids lunch buffet or kids menu at Takia cafe, poolside, Baravi and the Sundowner. They were happy with their food choices and the staff are more than happy to accommodate fussy eaters like my son. He is the no sauce, no lettuce, no topping boy. They enjoyed the Kula Eco park, I'm not sure but I think you can get a buggy ride across. My 4 year old complained about the walk which isn't really that far.

Beach - The beach is definitely not as nice as the islands or Shangri-la. It was what I expected based on reviews. While we were there the high tide suitable for water sports was early morning. The coral isn't colourful but there are plenty of fish to see. You can see a lot more snorkelling than you can kayaking. Our kids were impressed by the peek a boo kayaks with the viewing window in the bottom.

Activities - The Fijian dance show at the dinner buffet was great the kids loved it but could only stay up once to see it. We also found the crab/frog races too late for our kids. I loved the pool aerobics so funny and so much fun. There's heaps to do within the resort if you want to.

Overall we found the Outrigger a perfect family resort. We went for the sun, food, tropics and to relax with our kids, which we did. It will be a hard holiday to top.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Satch91
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2013

Dear Satch91

Sunny greetings from Coral Coast!
I am absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a wonderful holiday at our beautiful resort! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. They seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I was delighted to read that we could provide your children with such a fun filled holiday!
Satch91, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort.

There are newer reviews for Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Reviewed August 19, 2013

This is a large hotel spread over a wide area. We were returning for a belated 10 year wedding anniversary after staying here for our honeymoon.
This time we stayed in the main building with interconnecting rooms for our three children. The bedrooms were large and modern and bathrooms a good size. Our only concern was that we were right next to where the wedding parties have their evening reception/disco. This was a bit noisy, but always finished early. Would have been better to have families with young children away from this! There appear to be wedding every day!
The breakfasts were exceptional with a large variety of foods, well presented and you can eat as much as you like.
The two pools were both wonderful. The main pool is vast and well used by children. The other pool is for adults only, just opened and a wonderful sanctuary.
Our children used the kids club a bit. They had caring staff, a varied programme and was lovely to be able to dip in and out of. They give the children a passport with the week's activities on so that they can plan which sessions they may like to do.
We went to the Ivi one night and the food was amazing. It is expensive, but worht it in my opinion.
The real let down was the service in the restaurants, particularly the sundowner. Chaotic and not of a good enough standard. I even complained to the restaurant manager one night, who just laughed at my complaint and walked off! They sometimes serve the starters with the main courses and you are left for ages without a drink.
We met some lovely people and had some brilliant experiences here. It is a beautiful hotel, very friendly staff and guests and a real treat.

Room Tip: Choose carefully, as there are long walks involved.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Tanya K

A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

We are absolutely thrilled that you came back and stayed with us again for your 10th wedding anniversary. We also thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent stay at our beautiful resort. I have noted your comments regarding the noise from the wedding and also the rude manager at Sundowner. I sincerely apologise for both of these issues. I will personally address the manager at Sundowner in order to rectify this area of concern. Thank you for your glowing comments about our “fine dine” restaurant Ivi! You can understand why this particular restaurant was voted as the number one restaurant in Fiji at the Fiji Tourism Awards earlier in the year.
Tanya K - We all look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji,.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We went to Fiji for a friends wedding and we had a wonderful trip however, if I were to visit Fiji again (and that's a big IF), I wouldn't stay at the Outrigger on the Lagoon next time. For me, it's too far from anything. I prefer to get out of the resort a little more and with the exception of a couple of 'cafes' down the beach road (one we were told not to go to!), it's all about the resort experience. Our pickup driver even suggested that you would only do a day trip to the islands if you had a lot of time because it was almost 2 hours back to the wharf so that's 4 hours out of the day straight up.

The staff were all super friendly but not overly efficient. We arrived early (8am) and our room wasn't ready. We stored the bags, found some swimwear and then there was a room available - terrific. Packed the stuff away took the bags to the room, only to find that there was someone still in there... back to the storage room, get the togs out again and down to the pool. The staff at the pool kept checking all day for our room but when check-in time came and they said it still wasn't ready, I went to reception.... but the room WAS ready and they were waiting for us! As we were platonic friends travelling together, we requested two doubles (a standard option so we weren't asking for much) but found that we had one queen. When I called reception, they told me to open the sofa bed. It was all getting a bit too hard at that point so I gave up. (Others in our party had booked interconnecting rooms but that didn't eventuate either).

One staff member (I think he was the mini bar man) was so friendly that he let me into my friend's room when I told him the key didn't work.... I had never seen him before, I could have been anyone! I found out later that this was the same guy that kept leaving my fridge door open so everything was constantly warm.

Physically, I think the resort could do with a major overhaul particularly if they're aiming for 5 star. Bathrooms, fixtures & fittings, etc are becoming dated and some just a touch shabby. The bed didn't suit me (very soft/lumpy) but that's personal preference. Restaurants and bars are lovely but I didn't find them terribly good value and I would like to have something a little more casual available but once again, this is when I would normally go for a walk 'outside'. Wifi is extremely hit & miss so don't go expecting otherwise.

The adults only pool was pleasant except for the day that a bunch of young Australians arrived at 8am and had to be cut off (from the bar) around 11am (apparently the bar isn't open until 10am so I'm not sure what wen't wrong there). They were all loud, obnoxious and extremely embarrassing. Most adults left rather than listen to their screaming and swearing.

The resort is extremely popular with Australian families (in fact, we didn't see another nationality). The main pool is huge and everyone raved about the kids club and nanny service - with good reason. The whole 'kids' system seems capable, caring and very flexible. We used the canoes and many families were making use of the equipment - all free of charge.

In short, Outrigger on the Lagoon is most definitely not 5 star and I think it's best suited to families or extended family/groups/weddings (which we were).

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank PrincessInTransit

Dear Gourmet_Traveller67

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case there were several areas that did not meet with your expectations. We apologise for this occurrence!
As you have stated, Outrigger on the Lagoon is very popular with families. We provide a wonderful environment where kids can spend time with their parents, enjoy the fun at the Kids Club or be totally enchanted by the wonderful love and care from our meimei nannies!
This allows Mums and Dads time to have a spa treatment together at our World Famous Bebe Spa, chill out at Vahavu, our “Adults Only” swimming pool, visit our wonderful restaurants and bars or just hang out together.
I apologise for the group of young Australians that were a little boisterous around the pool. Once we were alerted to this situation, these gentlemen were requested to leave the resort.
We thank you for your comments!

Reviewed August 18, 2013

This was our 4th visit to Fiji, we generally have stayed on the islands which has been a wonderful experience. This time we chose Outrigger to try the mainland experience we were not at all disappointed. The total experience from management to staff made our holiday everything that we love about Fiji, whether on an island or on the mainland the Fiji spirit and culture makes you feel as if you are home and it is difficult to leave.
The facilities at Outrigger truly provide a 5 star experience without losing the Fiji way of life.
All we can say is well done and hope to see you all again soon.

Room Tip: We felt the Ocean Breeze bures offered best access to all facilities whilst you were able to enjoy t...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Anne B
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 18, 2013

Dear Anne B

Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your wonderful comments!
As you are a regular visitor to Fiji, I was absolutely thrilled to read that you enjoyed your time with us!
Anne B, once again we thank you for your enthusiastic comments. All of the team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.

Reviewed August 15, 2013

Our family loves Fiji so much we visit every year with our daughter 4 yrs of age now. We were so happy to finally get to the Outrigger and excited that we where going to be there for 8 days. The kids club is great and our daughter enjoyed every moment there, we enjoyed the adults pool its was lovely, we enjoyed our time by the main pool and the menu is great and the service is great also. Rooms are okay, the toilet / bathroom isn't really that private the toilet door is just shutter door, a proper door would be nicer, showers are lovely also no issues here. The people who work at the resort are mostly lovely although sometimes we came across some workers who where not very nice at all, we thought nothing of it and moved on.. The guys and girls who work in the shops are fun and lovely and helpful.
Bebe spa is a must and go there for a drink and quiet time. Iys a fun trip up to the top of the hill.
Eco park is also a must, i love going there its always so much fun and the guys and girls who work there are gorgeous and the resort has a direct walk there its great!
Talia service was nice, would of been okay without it , but it is nice.
The rooms around the front area of the resort can be a bit noisy ,we had a really bad night after a wedding with some very drunk crazy people...( i think security finally sorted it out) lots of activities and ocean sport , but the on water sports need to be done early as the resort is very tidal, which is fine!!
Go see the sunset at the beach its lovely for photos. They need a bar down there on the beach so you can watch the sunset and the kids can play around the sand down there.
Breakfast buffet was lovely no issues here, i did have a few food issues but i emailed the GM to let them know and they seemed rather concerned and helpful.
But then , the final thing that really made the final decision for us about the resort, was my poor 4 yr. old daughter was very , very Ill , the night before leaving to come back home and when we asked for the Dr to come in as it was late at night, we where asked to catch a Taxi to the local hospital , which totally freaked me out, the Dr spoke to me on the phone and said best if she didn't come in as she didn't like giving children needles???? Mmmmmmm!!! I spoke to the manager on duty at the time who was very kind and patient and asked him to call her to come in but she must feel okay to,treat her as we did not want to go to the hospital at almost midnight we had to leave at 4am to get to airport. Anyway, she did come she treated our poor very Ill daughter by this stage and she was efficient and all went well, ( make sure you get travel insurance) .
But then when we left in the morning at 4.40 am , no one came to see if we where okay no one said goodbye. We just got into the transfer bus and left. A bit sad!! But thats obviously how the resort works!!! Everyone we spoke to at the resort was having a great time and seemed to love this place, but unfortunately the Outrigger just wasn't for us! Vinaka Outrigger!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Suzie P
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 15, 2013

Dear Suzie P

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!

We really do appreciate the informative comments that you have provided to readers of Trip Advisor.
Obviously I was disappointed that your daughter became ill on her holiday. I was pleased to read that our on-call doctor was able to treat your daughter at the resort. I apologise for the lack of empathy from our staff upon your departure. At that time of the morning we obviously only have minimal staff working at the resort but the Manager on Duty could have at least checked on your daughter’s welfare.
We pride ourselves at Outrigger on the friendliness and warmth of our staff. I was quite surprised that some of our staff were not forthcoming with these qualities. Please contact me on email, gm@outriggerfiji.com.fj and advise me of specific areas of the resort where our service was lacking. I will then be able to address this area of concern
Suzie P, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

Went here for my brothers wedding. it was ok. ive been to many resorts and this one is just average. room was clean- watch out for small ants. they are tiny..TINY!

I recommend that if you go for a wedding do not get your makeup done. The lady isnt really a makeup artist- their makeup is not very good. we ended up getting her to use our products and after she put on our fondation (looked and felt like a massage, which is not the way you put on makeup!) we decided to let her chill out and relax while we put on our own makeup. Hair dresser was good.

There isnt many things to do at night and everyone seems to go to sleep at 11pm. There is hardly no night life.

Theres a few different places where you can eat at the resort. But spending a week there, you really have exhausted your options.

my brother(the groom) got one of those seperate house things. its just one big room with a bed and ensuite. Mind you that the toilet has no closed walls.. so who ever is in there doing a number 2 .. you can hear everything and smell everything! the lighting is also quite dark. I had just a normal room and i would prefer that aver a private villa.

Oh the kids club looked really good. there were heaps of children in there and they seemed like they were all having fun. there were also alot of minders to keep an eye on the children. I have to say that this is the best kids club ive ever seen.

We went out to the village nearby (maybe 10mins) and literally we walked around in 10 mins. really nothing to do there and went back to resort.

Oh and i recommend that you DO NOT buy the internet. you WONT be able to get ANY connection anywhere. and when you ring to complain the internet company is done seperately from the resort. so they will not refund your money... We went out to that town and got a sim card for 3G. Its cheaper and it WORKS.

All in all i thought fiji was more "tropical" but it was just so the oppisite. It is somewhere i wouldnt ever like to go again.

Room Tip: i wouldnt personally get a private villa.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear hotel2010

Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!

To be honest I do not believe that Fiji is the right destination for you?? If you are looking for late night night clubs, party scene, then you are better off going to Bali or Phuket. Fiji is a much more relaxed environment wherein guests can chill out and relax.
The “separate house thing” that you have referred to is actually a Bure! This is the traditional style of housing in Fiji. It is a shame that you did not embrace the cultural differences of Fiji when you visited the local village – Once again this is what a holiday in Fiji is all about???

Reviewed August 13, 2013

We have just come back from a 10 night stay at the Outrigger (family of mum, dad and a 4 year old boy). Before our travel I read all the reviews for the Outrigger, so thought I'd also add my thoughts here......

We have also stayed at Treasure Island, Shangri-la, Intercontinental, and the Hilton, over the past 4 years so are well versed with what to expect and do in Fiji, etc, and making comparisons with the resorts.

We're from NZ, so the exchange rate was OK - but obviously not as good for the Ozzies - so for some menus we did find food to be a bit pricey, or mostly the same price as back home. We'd roughly take 30% off the prices, but if from Oz you'd enjoy about 40-45% off the Fijian price, so really good value if travelling from Australia.

I particularly enjoyed the Outrigger as it was very much family oriented. We had an Ocean Breeze Bure which was booked online via Sun Vacations Fiji (thanks again Asha). We also booked the Intercontinental last year via Asha as the quotes were always cheaper than Expedia. We loved our stand-alone bure near the beach, and am so glad we booked this. It was all open plan - very authentic, with the high ceiling roof. We only had a shower (ie no bath), but that was OK. We actually wanted a beach front bure, but unfortunately they were all booked, so "ocean breeze" is one back however we didn't have any direct beach view. This really made a difference, as we had grandstand ocean view when staying at the Intercontinental. It was really close to the beach, pool, kids club and restaurants. If you book an apartment-style room near the main entrance, you may have a bit of a hike each day going up and down to the your room, so I much preferred staying in the garden area where we were.

There are stand-alone bures dotted throughout the Outrigger - they're called Plantation bures. The Ocean View and Ocean Breeze bures are the only bures near the beach. Go to the Outrigger website - you can download the map and see exactly where things are. The grounds are lovely - beautiful gardens and palm trees.

If you cannot get a bure- I suggest you book the rooms that are closest to the Sundowner Restaurant - not near the main admin building - these had lovely views over the water and I think were only 2 storey high. Also - the rooms near the admin building are too close to where the functions are held for the weddings - so you may have loud music when wedding functions are on in the evening - believe me, this place is busy with weddings !

Breakfasts are lovely - we weren't lucky enough to have this included in our package, and found them to be a bit pricey. We only had breakfast for 2 mornings - the other 8 we had cereal in our room (boring I know, but it saved us NZ$500, as b/fast would have been NZ$25 each, so for 2 adults that's $50 per day at 10 nights). Continental b/fast was NZ$20 pp.

We enjoyed our lunch and dinners, and preferred the Sundowner for dinner (awesome pizzas) and the Bavari for lunch had really nice salads. You must book the Sundowner restaurant, as it is always packed. Go and see them during the day, and book what days you want to go. Its the restaurant nearest the beach with beautiful views.

You must try the cocktails - especially the Cool Bananas one.

We had theTalai butler service - I have never come across this anywhere in Fiji - and it was lovely ! At 5 pm every evening Tave or Mari would come by with our canapes - either sushi, or tandoori chicken, cheese/crackers, etc, with bubbles or a beer. We got fruit juice for our boy. Then after your turndown service, they were back at 8 pm each evening with liquers (such as butterscotch, strawberry, peach, coconut, etc) and a little petit four sweet (little cake or a choc tart). We all enjoyed this !

The staff at the Kids Club are lovely. We met Tasha on our first day, so she became a favourite for our boy - but I'd like to pass on a special thanks to ALL the lovely ladies at the Kids Club - thank you for making Ethan so welcome and looking after him. He won lots of milkshakes in the competitions ! He enjoyed his visit to the Eco Park and thank you for the photos you took of him with the baby snake and Iguana on top of his sunhat :)

The Kids Club was free for Ethan - there are many sessions through the day, each for 2 hours each. We dropped off our boy at 10 am each day and collected him at 12 noon for lunch, then a sleep, then spent the rest of the day with him at the toddlers pool. Other sessions are 2-4 pm, and other sessions in the evening. There are lots of activities for the Little Riggers to do, and a separate set of events for the Beach Ruggers (the older kids). If you have a child under 3 or 4, you may need to book a Nanny for a few hours, and pay FJ$ for this. The grounds are very spacious, and lots of things to play with, and an outdoor set-up with slides, tree-huts, sand pits, etc. Great set up.

A special thank you to all the staff - as previous reviewers have said, they are all friendly and nothing is too much bother - this is so true. They were all lovely. The house-cleaning staff were in and out in a flash, and did a great job. We always received plenty of milk and water each day. They always yell out "bula" and take the time to talk to our boy.

There is a convenience store on site, that also sells magazines, snacks, sun lotions, souvenirs and the Renui range from Pure Fiji. There is a handcrafts shop (Jacks I think) several clothes places, and Prouds selling jewellery, perfume, kids toys, handbags, etc, and Pandora jewellery. Also a store upstairs selling handcrafts, and another store selling cameras , and pearls. There are of course the local Fijian ladies selling their jewellery and shells, etc.

We visited the Bebe spa - only to look around. Get a golf cart up to have a look, and there is a bar at the top, and also here you can have high teas at 2 pm for FJ$10.

Its a quick walk to the Eco Park, and the golf range. We did both of these ,and also played a bit of tennis. The adults only pool (newly completed) was very quiet (if you wanted to be away from the kiddies) and was set up really nice.

Checking out was quick and easy - a print-out was put in our letter box the night before, so we do an "express" payment the next morning. (On checking in we each had a glass of lovely iced-tea).

I'd definitely like to go back again in the future - next time a Beachfront Bure !

Thank you to everyone at the Outrigger - Vinaka.

Room Tip: Get a bure if you can.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Marie C
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Marie C

Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! It sounds like you and your family had an amazing holiday at our beautiful resort!
Thank you for your comments about the customer service. As you found out, our staff love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
I was pleased to read that that you enjoyed the service provided by our talai butlers – This service is unique to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I must also thank you for your comments on our restaurants. As you found out, the 2 best restaurants in all of Fiji, as voted by respondents to Trip Advisor, are located at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Marie C, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your family return to our beautiful resort.

Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!