“Humbling Experience..... Magical Wedding..... Unbelieveable Service”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Opunake
“Humbling Experience..... Magical Wedding..... Unbelieveable Service”
Reviewed June 16, 2013

To be told that the starting hourly rate for employment here is $4Fj and then to witness the pride in joy in which that service was delivered got me thinking, that this place was more then just a job more than a weekly income it was a chance for the people of fiji, villiage to show the world exactly who and what they are..... True to their name of .... 'The Happiest/friendliest people in the world!' Ka Aroha Ka Aroha Ka Aroha from your Pacific Cousins Aotearoa.... Mean Maori Mean!!!

We were married here purly by chance given all the options of resorts to choose from we literally closed our eyes and pointed our finger and whalla... it landed on Outrigger! Thankgod for that! I can honestly say it was the best wedding i have ever been too not to be biased but it truly was. If you are reading this, DO IT! and believe me when i say 'sit back and relax' because Asmeen and the team here are truly AMAZING! they think for you and take care of everything and i mean everything Heaps of options and even a few GOOD hidden surpizes ;) Thankyou again and again to the wonderful team and truly Magical Wedding Experience, (pitty I'm only getting married once)

Like the title says... 'Unbelieveable Service'... Just a thought for my fellow Kiwi's... Tipping is acceptable here and well deserved!

Room Tip: Stayed in Bure 431, 1 king bed, Pull-out sofa bed, had to order a fold-out bed to accomodate our fam...
2 Thank libbataylor
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 16, 2013
Dear libbataylor
Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! It sounds like you and your husband had the most amazing wedding experience at our beautiful resort! I will most certainly share your comments with Asmeen and her team.
We really do appreciate the informative comments that you have provided to readers of Trip Advisor.
Thank you for your comments about the customer service. As you found out, our staff love coming to work and engaging with our guests. Yes, the “Bula Spirit” is alive and well at Outrigger!
libbataylor, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your husband return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed June 15, 2013

What can I say.... I've travelled all over the world but must say thy after my first visit to Fiji in May for my Mum's 60th, I fell in love!! So much so, I booked to go back again in a months time for another week!
I really cannot see how anyone can fault this place, and am surprised to see some feedback with complaints. Yes it's a family resort and yes it's 1.5hrs from nadi airport, but it's a beautiful journey to get there and there is now an 'adults only' pool and let's face it, the resort is big enough that if you want quiet time, it's easy to find.
I cannot recommend this place anymore more highly and I've stayed at a lot of resorts.
The staff are just amazing and so accommodating, in particular a big thank you to Beni and Seria at the Bavari bar/restaurant, Joeli, Jenny and last but definitely not least Usa!! Usa has to be one one the happiest, friendliest barman I have met. My whole family fell in love with him and he made our holiday so much more enjoyable! It's staff like that, that make you want to keep coming back.

Keep up the fantastic work Outrigger, and I'll definitely be coming back again before the year end!! Vanaka!

• Stayed May 2013
3 Thank Thmoore4
Dear Thmoore4
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! I am absolutely thrilled that your Mum had such a memorable 60th birthday occasion at our beautiful resort! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your comments about our staff around the resort. They seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
I was pleased to read that our bar staff, Beni, Seria, Joeli, Jenny and in particular Usa, took such good care of you!
Thmoore4, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and your family return to our beautiful resort.
australia
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We stayed for 6 nights at the Outrigger on the Lagoon recently. It was a fantastic family trip! The staff are lovely people always with a smile on their facesnd a helping hand. The restaurants were all delicious with a great range of food and the spa up on the hill was beautiful! Best service we have had in Fiji yet! And the cocktails were yum!

Room Tip: Bure's have enough space around them to have a peaceful real village feel
2 Thank stevo_tahns
Dear stevo_tahns
Bula and sunny greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji! We are delighted that you had the opportunity to enjoy the wonderful fare at our restaurants. You can understand why our restaurants are rated the best in Fiji! As you found out we are blessed with an amazing team that takes great pride in looking after our guests. Stevo_tahns, once again we thank you for your comments. We can’t wait to see you back at our beautiful resort next time you choose to undertake a Fiji holiday.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed June 15, 2013

We have recently returned from 1 week at the Outrigger. Prior to arriving we spent 4 nights at Sofitel denarau and following the Outrigger we had for nights at Musket Cove.I am not going to comment on the other destinations just to say they have a lot of work to do before they even get close to the Outrigger!

My daughter and partner chose to get married at the Outrigger. I had stayed at the Outrigger previously but they wanted to research wedding destanations in fiji before deciding on their wedding venue. After much enquiry and comments from tripadvisor they made their choice.

Wow is all I can say! We arrived 100 guests plus 20 children. I heard no complaints from anyone - only positive comments about how well looked after everyone felt. We all had an amazing time!
The common comments were - "The beds here are so comfortable - never slept in any better - How's yours - I'm going home to make my bed as good as an Outrigger one!
The staff here are amazing and nothing is a problem;
This is the best place to bring children- everything is thought of; This place is fun!;
I have travelled lots, but I have never experienced a butler service like this one -completley complimentary - you pay through the nose for this service anywhere else in the world.
There were plenty of positive comments, and I think as a result mant will return.

The wedding: The thought of organising a wedding from a distance is scarey. Not at the Outrigge.,Unlike other resorts the Outrigger only do one wedding a day - they concentrate on yours. Asmeen the wedding planner was AMAZING - nothing was a problem and things went perfectly. No "Fiji time" where Asmeen is concerned. She had things changed immediatly if needed. The food we chose was the bbq menu and while I'm not keen on buffet -it was tasty! The music had everyone on the dance floor the whole time - thank you DJ Ranjeet - you did a fantastic job! Thank you Asmeen, Your calm and friendly attitude is just what is required from a wedding planner and you are such an asset to the Outrigger. I am sorry we didnt get to say a proper Vinaka!

Service: Oh my gosh - the best! All the staff seem so happy in their jobs - lots of bula and huge smiles (not experienced from us elsewhere in Fiji) Moses who is responsible for customer satisfaction - he was always around making sure there were no problems - fanastic Thank you Moses! Our Talei butlers were truely amazing. When it comes to a wedding there is much to do but no problem for them - ironing, even decorating the wedding couples bed with flowers (no extra charge). Tave and Toby you two actually made our holiday! Mei Mei Nannys - you are amazing too -what a difference you make for parents. Parents can take time out to experience all the adults only spaces at the Outrigger - The Sundowner for breakfast and dinner - food was great!; Ivi and the tapas at the spa.

Overall I really rate this place. We ate mostly at the bar and Sundowner. Great curry and casual food at pool bar and fantastic food at Sundowner - not expensive but right up there! I dont do the main restaurant because I begrudge spending $60 for an evening buffet and $49 for a breakfast. The Outrigger has better options - the above mentioned and 1 tip -Order 1 full breakfast through room service and you will feed 4!

Vinaka Outrigger we and many others will be back!

Room Tip: Ocean view by the lagoon.
4 Thank Anna H
Dear Anna H
What a comprehensive review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your daughter’s wedding and holiday at our beautiful resort. It sounds like you had a wonderful wedding occasion. Asmeen, your wedding planner does a terrific job in looking after our wedding guests. Anna H, as you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most certainly pass your comments onto your butlers, Tave and Toby. I also thank you for your comments about our restaurants – you can see why they are rated as the best restaurants in Fiji.
Anna H, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

This is a story all about how my life got tripped, turned upside down, I'd like to take a second with you sitting right there, to tell you how.......,, much of a farce this place is. Expecting a comedy show? Well you've come to the right place. Firstly let me say that this is definitely NOT a 5 star resort as is described on the Expedia website. It's barely a 4.

It all started when I paid £50 for an airport transfer which turned out to be a taxi, the guy knew nothing about the hotel, trips, local POI. We arrived at the hotel for a 6 night stay, checkin was efficient and we made our way to the room, which was disappointment number 1, an 'ocean view' room that had the tiniest sliver of ocean in the view. The rest of the room looked tired and far from 5 star. I complained and Vaneet the DM at the time moved us to another block which was right on the beach, much better view being on the edge of the beach but still the same room but slightly bigger.

At this point we were bored so went on a walk, first thing we noticed was the number of children. If you have children then this is probably a good place for them with activities and noise. We don't, we wanted some peace. Whilst walking around we noticed that the pool area is far from 5 star too, grass is worn away and the sunbeds are from the 80's (with the stretched plastic tape). At this point I thought that this is no good and I can't stay here, I called Expedia who called the hotel to get us out of there, this is where the comedy begins.

Charlotte the guest manager was the one talking to Expedia, she said we could leave but t he hotel would keep 3 nights money, I argued for hours that I was leaving because the hotel isn't as they described it to be, to which I kept being told this is 5 star. After a few calls and the option to be upgraded to a beach burre (which I declined because the management were becoming quite rude) the lady from Expedia needed to speak with Charlotte again, she called the hotel but. Was told she had gone home and that no one could help without her. I went to speak with Jesse the next DM on duty, explained everything to her and explained my disappointment that she had gone home whilst a guest was very unhappy. Bu this time it was much later in the day and we were forced to spend a night as we couldn't be sure about our refund or finds neither hotel in time.

The next morning I was up early and went to find Charlotte. I got to reception and was told that she no. Inner works at the hotel and she had moved to the intercontinental, I explained that she was dealing with a problem for me yesterday but the receptionist gave me a puzzled look. I asked again for Charlotte the Guest manager, this rang a bell and off she went to find her, returning from the back office saying she hadn't come in due to a family emergency but still no one could help in her place. I collared Vaneet again and asked him what the hell is going on, explained all the reasons that this wasn't as described and why we'd be moving. I could see the embarrassment on his face when I explained about Charlotte.

So we left that morning and for a little more money moved to the intercontinental which is most definitely a 5 star resort.

There were 2 redeeming things at the Outrigger, the man who shouts a huge Bula when you arrive and Basil, one of the staff. Both were excellent and put a smile on our faces.

We left and thought that was the end. It wasn't. For our refund to be processed the hotel needed to email Expedia a 3 line email saying we left and to process the refund. This took 3 days and 3 hours of phone calls to get done. It was a joke, being told that someone would do it now then nothing comes, another call and being told it would take 20 mins and then nothing. In the end I had to lie and say I had Expedia on another line waiting for the email, after which it was finally sent. They were trying to delay it as much as possible.

Overall can I recommend this place? He'll no, the management alone make it a circus, but the rooms and resort are far from 5 star.

Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank Nishant P
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 18, 2013
Dear Nishant P
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences to our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case there were several areas where we failed in this mission. We apologise for this occurrence!
I note your statement that you took a private taxi from the airport to the resort – Obviously this was your choice to save on cost! We do not recommend this form of transfer as many of the drivers from Nadi have no knowledge of the Coral Coast. We offer our own private transfer company, which provide comfortable air-conditioned vehicles which are fully insured and also come with drivers that have a comprehensive knowledge of Fiji and the Coral Coast. I should also point out that we do not have anybody by the name of Charlotte working at the resort. There is a Charlotte that used to work at Outrigger, who now works at the Intercontinental. Our Guest Services Manager’s name is Salote!
It is obvious from your comments that Outrigger was not a good fit for you! Whilst we make every effort to arrange refunds for guests that do not wish to stay at our resort, this can only be done with the authority of the travel agent which the guest has booked through. As you found out this does take a certain amount of time. I apologise for this situation. I assure you that my management team are not rude or unprofessional. The welfare of our guests is our priority at all times.
Nishant P, Once again, I thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed at this Resort during the first week of June. Upon arrival, we were immediately upgraded to a Suite, so that was a great start.
The staff, every one of them, were extremely friendly. Every staff member that we walked past acknowledged us with a friendly "BULA". They were always very accommodating.
The rooms were very nice, clean and well serviced everyday.
The facilities were excellent.
There was good variety with the activities everyday.
The Restaurants were excellent. We found the food to be a little pricey, but always excellent quality.
We would strongly recommend this Resort!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Brendon F
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I am delighted that my team could provide you and your girlfriend with such a memorable holiday experience. As you have found out we have a team of warm and friendly staff. They all look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Geelong, Australia
Reviewed June 12, 2013

We are just home from staying at the Outrigger for 7 nights. We had such wonderful friendly service and beautiful meals and room. The 'Bula' boom gate man always put a smile on our dial!

We are a family of 5 (2 adults and 3 kids aged 11, 8 and 3) and stayed in an interconnecting room (711-712). It was awesome as there was a 'loungeroom' in between so had heaps of room. The butler service was a lovely touch too.

The kids club staff were all friendly and my youngest 2 were quite happy to go along. (They loved the milkshake etc prizes too!) Beautiful pool area and great activities on offer each day. They also changed their program if it was a wet day. We went on the village tour they operate which was good fun. Coconut bowling, bingo, making tye dye t shirts, water aerobics, outdoor movies were all great fun as were the international crab races.

The buffet breakfast was awesome with a real variety to choose from.

We caught the local bus to town to do some shopping ($1 each way) compared to F$35 in a taxi.

A great location, short walk along the beach to a mini mart and other restaurants. I would highly recommend staying here!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Nerida P
David Nerida P
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your review! It sounds like you and your family had an unbelievable holiday at our beautiful resort.
We appreciate your comments on our staff. As you found out they love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I was pleased to read that our staff at the kids club took such good care of your children. As you and the family found out, there are so many activities to undertake at the resort. I also thank you for your comments on our buffet breakfast – There is so much to choose from.
Nerida P Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you and the family back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!