“Outrigger On The Lagoon Fiji - Excellent Service”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Outrigger On The Lagoon Fiji - Excellent Service”
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Bula ! Just returned from a fabulous holiday at this resort. Kids aged 9 and 10 had a ball and parents too. Went with another family who were also very happy with experience. Had to rave about the fantastic customer service. I left my ring in the safe (it must have slipped under the mat as I thought it was empty) After a week, I thought I would check just in case it was found. Not only was it recovered but the wonderful staff posted back to me. Booked a massage at Bebe Spa - a must do. Great food, service, best snorkelling in resort beach. We did a day trip to another island but snorkelling at this hotel beat it by far!
Thanks again, we will be back.

Room Tip: I might try out the little burra's next time - maybe a double burra ,
1 Thank Vanessa S
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 21, 2013
Dear Vanessa S
Sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji! It sounds like you and your family had a wonderful relaxing holiday at our beautiful resort! We really do appreciate the informative comments that you have provided to readers of Trip Advisor.
Thank you for your comments about the customer service. As you found out, our staff love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I was delighted to read that your ring made its way back to you.
Vanessa S, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on Trip Advisor. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (960)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed May 19, 2013

I can't fault anything about the Outrigger. The staff, entertainment, food, pool, bars, facilities, grounds, EVERYTHING was fantastic!!
Our room (Deluxe Ocean View) was beautiful with gorgeous views of the entire resort and the ocean. It was always cleaned before the afternoon which I appreciated and there were so many little touches that made my stay just that little bit more special than any other resort I have ever stayed at.
A couple of times we came back to the room to find little fresh flowers on the bed, blankets folded down for us in the evening etc. Our "Talai" (butler service) would come around every evening and because we were usually out at that time (between about 5-8pm) they would leave a note saying they had been and we would call them when we were back and they would bring us a glass of champagne and canapes.
The buffet breakfast was great with a huge variety. The Asian resturaunt had many different options to suit all budgets. I even got a few sides one night (veges, fried noodles etc) which were only $3 AUD per serve - and decent sizes too.... so literally to suit all budgets.
The Sundowner resturaunt on the beach front was the perfect place for an outdoor dinner on a warm Fijian evening. Great entertainment as well with musicians playing guitar and singing both Fijian music and old favourites (Bob Marley etc).
The Vakavanua Lounge, aka the nightclub, was a great place for us to catch up with other friends staying at the resort and have late night drinks. It was so good having this spot to go to when we weren't quite ready to call it a night - we were on holiday after all!
The cocktails were great...especially the Fijian Ice Tea's which became our drink of choice (They were really strong too!) and the prices were a lot cheaper than Melbourne cocktail prices.
The poolside service was amazing, we were never left waiting for someone to come around and take our food and drink orders - they were very attentative and always super friendly!
The music by the poolside was also great and created a wonderful, fun atmosphere!
I didn't get to use my $100 FJD Bebe spa voucher which came with my room booking, which was a shame because I heard it was absolutley devine. It was my fault I missed out because it books up quickly so I would recommend getting in asap for that and not leaving it until the last day like I did.
Overall, as you can probably sense from the positive vibe of this review, I had an AMAZING stay at the Outrigger on the Lagoon and would love to stay there again sometime in the future!!
I would recommend it for everyone from families with young children to fun loving couples and groups of friends to anyone who likes above and beyond service.
Vinaka vaka levu to all the happy, friendly, wonderful staff at the Outrigger who made this stay so special, I will be recommending this resort to everyone!

Room Tip: There are deluxe ocean view rooms in the main building but also down near the pool area so just ask...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank HayleyHep
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 20, 2013
Dear HayleyHep
Wow - What an outstanding review!
Thank you for your comprehensive review and for all of your positive comments.
As you found out we are blessed with an amazing team that takes great pride in looking after our guests.
I was just so happy to read that you and your friends had such a good holiday. How good are the restaurants? You can fully understand why they are rated as the best in Fiji!
I must admit I haven’t tried a Fiji Iced Tea but after your comments I will make sure I have one this weekend??? Hic!
HayleyHep, once again we thank you for your comments. We can’t wait to see you and all of your friends back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future.
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed May 18, 2013

58 guests from different countries, and one amazing wedding...we can barely fault the outrigger for our amazing stay and wonderful wedding.
I would advise that this is a great place for younger people, even with kids, quite a lively and busy place with allot happening, so not so much a quite retreat for older 50+ people.
Our experience was one of amazing service, very clean rooms, great food at all the restaurants, even pool side service.
Nothing seemed to be too much to ask for any of the staff, always happy to help - and genuinely happy which set a fantastic atmosphere.
We loved the live band that played at the bar pool side, really set a great atmosphere each day.
If you are looking for some where in Fiji to get married you should ONLY choose the outrigger!
Our wedding planner ASMEEN was amazing....for a whole year we emailed back and forth arranging things...and every single little thing was PERFECT on the day.
We had a hiccup where it was too windy at the last minute for the original beach location for the ceremony, but Asmeen sorted everyone out to get up to the chapel which turned out perfect, with beautiful views of the beach from the large windows.

Of course there has to be one negative, it really depends on what hairdresser and makeup artist you get as to what sort of job you will receive. My Step mum had a bad experience with the makeup artist, but a great experience with the hairdresser.
i had the same hairdresser who was very good for me, but with the makeup artist I was very unhappy with my trial, and ended up doing my own makeup on the day.
In saying that, my Mother in law was happy with her makeup job so like I said it just depends on the person...so I highly recommend having a trail done prior to be safe.

The Bebe spa was AMAZING also, an absolute must do upon a visit!

Overall a great holiday, lots of fun and a beautifully maintained resort. We will defiantly be back, and I highly recommend for others to go and enjoy for themselves.

Room Tip: Ocean view is worth the money to wake up to everyday!! The bures are nice but the rooms were better...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lizzy C
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 19, 2013
Dear Lizzy C
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! I am absolutely thrilled that you had such a memorable wedding occasion at our beautiful resort! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. I was pleased to read that Asmeen, our wedding planner took such great care of you and your wedding party! I will make sure that she receives a copy of your comments.
I was also delighted to read that you enjoyed the many and varied restaurants that we have available at the resort. You can see why our restaurants are rated the best in the South Pacific.
I really appreciate your comments about our staff around the resort. They seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
I apologise for the issues relating to the makeup lady – I will most definitely follow up with our hair salon manager!
Lizzy C, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and your husband return to our beautiful resort. By that time we will most definitely have our new “Adults Only” swimming pool completed!
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed May 16, 2013

Bula to everyone at the Outrigger. My family spent 10 fantastic days between 5/5 and 15/5 at the resort and cannot wait to return. From moment we stepped out of the transfer vehicle from the airport we were overcome with a friendliness I have never experienced at a resort.
Every single staff member from the porters, the front desk staff, all of the staff in and around the pool and eating areas and the staff in Kids Club are a credit to hospitality worldwide!!!
I would mention every person whom I met however must thank Susannah, Anna and Sule from the Bavaria bar / restaurant - All you ladies are terrific people who could not do enough.
All restaurants deliver quality food and food is plentiful. The Sundowner is a great eatery with beautiful views over the water. The Ivi delivers exceptional food and rated as one of the best restaurants in the country. A must do when you visit as the experience and food is tremendous.
The pool is filled with kids which for my family was great. Safe swimming and easy to monitor. The beach is a coral/sand beach which is a lot different from Sydney Australia but very relaxing. The snorkelling was tremendous and my children (8 and 7) loved seeing the tropical fish swimming around in a very safe environment.
We stayed In a resort view room which was nice and close to the centre building (room 619). We only visited our room to sleep or shower and change. The rooms were kept clean and tidy whilst we enjoyed to activities around the resort.
If you arrive with your family you will experience and holiday filled with laughter, kindness, activities, cocktails and great food. You can do as much or as little as you like and will leave with a smile and plans for a return visit.
Thank you all for allowing my family to experience a fantastic holiday and we will be back.

7 Thank jason s
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Dear jason s
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We are delighted that you and your family had such a “fantastic” holiday experience at our beautiful resort. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you with such a wonderful experience. Thank you for your comments in regards to the service you received from Susanah, Sule and Anna from the Baravi Bar – They are all wonderful members of our team! As you found out all of our staff love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
I also thank you for your comments on our restaurants – You can understand why they are rated the best in Fiji!
Jason s, once again, we thank you for taking the time to provide positive comment on your Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday. We most definitely look forward to catching up with you again at some time in the not too distant future.
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed for 8 days from the 15-23 April 2013. My partner and I had the best time. All the staff were so friendly and helpful. We loved our talai service every afternoon which we made sure we were back in the room for
:). We had a wonderful view from our room and even though the pool was right outside didnt hear much noise through out the day. The cocktails were devine and such a vast range! The food was excellent except for the breakfast you werent quite sure if you were going to get hot/luke warm or cold scrambled eggs but everything else was wonderful and with a lot of choices. Bebe Spa is definately a must do with beautiful views and awesome massages. Overall we had a great time there and we would go back in a heartbeat especially when the new pool is open :) also a couple of hints, to get the best lounges by the pool have an early brekkie before the big groups and you'll be guaranteed a great spot and if you dare definately do the crab and frog races! So much fun to watch and to participate. Thanktou to all the staff you were amazing!!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank louisemcewen
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, May 13, 2013
Dear louisemcewen
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most definitely send your warm regards onto your talai butler!
Thank you for your comments on our cocktails and restaurants. I have noted your comment regarding the scramble eggs on the morning buffet. I have addressed this issue with our Executive Chef. I sincerely apologise for this occurrence.
louisemcewen, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort, sometime in the not too distant future.
Auckland
Reviewed May 11, 2013

Wedding guests from all over the world and the wedding day was fantastic. Had to change venue to chapel as the wind was too fierce for an outside event and whilst the view is breath taking, the celebrant was really boring and the table where wedding took place was right in front of huge picture windows which made amateur photgraphy/video really difficult. A small screen of some kind immediately behind the wedding table would have made a world of difference. Super wedding reception and food and staff did all they could to make the day wonderful. Thank you for that.

My spa experience was fabulous and I highly recommend it. Staff throughout the resort appeared as if nothing was too much trouble and they nearly all had really bubbly personalities. They laughed and joked and remembered us and the names of our babies - cuddles galore. The whole place is set up for families, especially 3 -12 year olds. Lots and lots of steps to negotiate with a pushchair and certainly not a place to visit for a relaxing holiday for childless 30+. The Outrigger section of the beach is well maintained and the planned kids activities made the most of the environment. Lots of outsiders appeared to make full use of Outrigger facilities on a cash only basis, free of charge. Management please note business opportunity here - maybe sighting the room access card when taking an order would prevent this?

Downsides. Ummm ..... We were a party of 14. We wanted a room for a couple, 2 rooms with twin beds, one with a cot and a room for parents connected or next to their teenagers.

The couple's room in the Lagoon Wing was with a beautiful view of the ocean. So nice to wake up to but it was a bit tired and more than a bit grubby (lots of dust and a sticky fridge top that was not properly cleaned once during our 7 day stay - but the worst thing was a manhole with a loose cover right outside our door that clanged every time a cart (and there are lots of them evey day- even in the early hours of the morning) drove over it and it made sleep really difficult. There is no way that the staff would not have been aware of that. The clock/radio/alarm in the room didn't work and the plug in the sink was too small so it was impossible to run a sink of water for shaving or washing smalls. The final account of another guest, who was known to us but not part of our party, was left in our mail box - major breach of privacy there. Certainly not 5 star - 3 to 3 and a half at best. Frankly, I was seriously disappointed. I had visited the resort several years ago during a business trip and so looked forward to being a guest yet again.

Our families' other rooms were within the main block. One twin room was OK but the aircon had problems and it was riddled with ants and cockroaches. The other pair, who are just male and female friends and not a couple had to share a king sized bed with no chance of a change. Mum, dad and teenage family didn't even have connecting rooms and had to insist on a change when they discovered the kids were not even next door. Those sort of mistakes are simply unforgivable when the booking is made 9 months ahead. One of our group came with babies and actually slipped on the walkway to their room with the 6 month old baby in his arms. Freak out time, so beware of those painted walkways when wet - safe baby but seriously bruised dad. Yep, there are signs that say "Beware when wet" or similar. Obviously Health and Safety standards have no place at the Outrigger - there are mats during wet weather all along the under covered walkway but nothing on the entrance way to the accommodation. During off season, this is not a place to stay with babes in arms.

I had my makeup done the morning of the wedding and it was a truly awful experience. I asked for a natural look as I do not like much make up. I came out feeling like a second rate performer ready to go on stage. She actually hurt me whilst working on my eyes and not once did she smile or say anything pleasant - she did tell me I had two small black hairs that should be removed by the edge of my lip but didn't have tweezers (neither did I) so I left there feeling really ugly rather than beautiful.. The hairdresser was wonderful and managed to keep my fine hair in place for all of the day. Well done that lady.

We had a couple of rainy days which was OK but we were really disappointed that the only option we had to eat on one wet evening was the Mexican Night - no one wanted to do that so we all had to wait for 2 hours+ to get a table for 6 anywhere else except the Ivy, which was empty! Nothing the staff could do but certainly not a 5 star experience.

We didn't try the adult only breakfast offered at the Sundowner as the VKN breakfast was so good. The adult only pool is yet to be built - this might make a huge difference but the noise levels from the main pool area permeate the whole resortfor most of the day and until really late at night.

The breakfasts were great and excellent value for money. The bacon was thin and overcooked but being English, maybe antipodeans like it this way! Omlettes varied each day and were always good and just watch the guy cooking poached eggs - must try that technique at home. Make sure you let your kids know about the waffles at the end of the queue after the eggs! The tiny smoothies were to die for. Something for everyone and a great value start to the day.

The retail prices of the vendors within the resort are about the same as those in Singatoka and sometimes even cheaper but a trip into town is fun and only a dollar each way if you catch the local bus. The market people are aggressive for those unused to bargaining and they win every time! Grab an Island trip if you have time. The Eco Park is a long walk for little reward unless you live in the northern hemisphere.

Was the wedding a great event. Hell, yes. Can't think of a better way to get married.
Did I have a great time? Well no, not really. Way too noisey for me at night.
Would I go back again as a childless 35+ - nah.

Room Tip: High up on the Lagoon wing would be a good choice.
2 Thank Carol B
Dear Carol B
What a comprehensive review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your “Family Wedding Experience”. It sounds like you and your guests from all over the world had a wonderful time at our beautiful resort. As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine.
I have noted your comments in regards to several issues relating to accommodation. I have addressed these issues with the relevant managers and I assure you that appropriate action has been taken – We apologise for this occurrence! We have also addressed the issue regarding the lack of suitable wet weather matting.
I was quite surprised by your comments in regards to lack of restaurant venues. We have a wonderful array of dining experiences and outlets at Outrigger. From our Asian cuisine at the Baravi Restaurant, yummy pizzas and succulent steaks at the Sundowner Bar and Grill, Fiji’s number One fine dine restaurant at Ivi and last but not least sumptuous buffets in our main dining room Vale ni Kane Restaurant. We also offer a tapas menu at the kalokalo bar, 2 cafe dining options at Takia and Takia on the Go, plus 24 hour room service! I was delighted to read your comments on our bountiful breakfast! Thank you for your tips to readers of trip advisor.
As you have also commented on, our team at Outrigger are all about making the guest experience the best ever and personally I think they do a great job in achieving this goal.
Carol B, Once again we thank you for your comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you and your husband return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji for your wedding anniversary.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed May 11, 2013

The Outrigger on the Lagoon is a very special place in one very important aspect and that is that the majority of the staff certainly deserve the five star rating.
However there are some very negative issues that take away at least two of those stars. Issues that any international 5 star resort housekeeping manager would have fixed without the guest having to report them, simply by ensuring the housekeepers do a through job. In our room the alarm radio didn’t work, the basin plug allowed the water to escape and worst of all the daily cleaning was only superficial ; for example layers of dust were left on the headboard rails above the bed and other surfaces.
Why didn’t we report this to management? Two reasons, (1) In a 5 star resort these issues should be picked up by staff, (2) It was interesting to see if they were picked up during the weeks stay.
Another irritating issue was the fact that the resorts facilities, particularly the pool, were being openly used by guests from an adjoining resort (that had no facilities of their own) and without charge.
Finally and probably most serious issue was how slippery the painted floors in the passage ways outside the rooms get after a shower of rain. Its all very well having signs saying ‘slippery when wet’ but even when walking with the greatest caution ones footing can easily be lost as happened to my adult son who just happened to be carrying his 7 month old daughter at the time! Luckily enough he managed to control his fall to prevent harm to the child. This time a report was made to the duty manager but as he didn't take notes I can only assume that no further action was taken.
All in all and including having a ‘stomach bug’ illness myself on our last but one day,
(once again reported to a duty manager who this time did give me a form to complete) we were not very impressed with the resort except once again the majority of the staff. Certainly not worth a 5 star rating.
Bula.

3 Thank handiman437
Dear handiman437
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast! My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences for our guests. It is obvious from your comments, that in your case there were several areas where we failed in this mission. We apologise for this occurrence!
Obviously, having one of our guests slip over is totally unacceptable and we apologise for this occurrence. We have addressed this issue with our OHS team and we have also purchased more wet weather mats for our corridors.
I have also noted your comments regarding several housekeeping issues – Once again as you have stated this is not acceptable of a 5 star resort and appropriate action has been taken.
Handiman437, I thank you for your kind comments in regards to the friendliness and warmth of our staff. They are what makes Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji the “Number One” 5 star resort in Fiji, as voted at the recent Fiji Tourism Awards!
Once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!