“Not for couples but still ok-not 5 star!!”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Hull
“Not for couples but still ok-not 5 star!!”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The staff and Fijian people are so friendly and a joy to be with. The hotel was clean and well maintained. The food was ok but needs more variety rather than themed nights all the time. The pool area was excellent but for us as a couple there were too many 'unsupervised' kids whilst parents threw cocktails and beer down their necks. Maybe the adult only pool will improve this? The Sundowner restaurant food was very average, beach had glass on it, but nice to sit on a lounger. This isn't 5 star more like 3 in Europe and I thought very pricey. Bebe Spa is amazing but be watchful of the staff on the golf carts!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't get a room on the ground floor near the pool golf carts going by at silly o'clock in t...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tigeroldboy
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 24, 2013
Dear Tigeroldboy
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your feedback! We are obviously disappointed that there were aspects of your holiday that did not meet your expectations – We apologise for this occurrence!
We have discussed issues raised in your review with mu management team. As you have highlighted we will be opening our new “Adults Only” swimming pool in late April. This pool will feature a 20 metre lap pool, cascading into a lagoon pool with a swim up bar.
Tigeroldboy, once again we are disappointed that your holiday was not as expected! We pride ourselves at Outrigger on the Lagoon .Fiji on delivering exceptional holiday experiences – It is obvious from your comments that in your case there were several aspects of your holiday, wherein we have failed in this commitment – Once again we sincerely apologise for this occurrence!
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed for our honeymoon in August and have avoided writing a review until now. This is ultimately a great resort.....if you have a family! I would love to bring my kids here (if we had them!) not sure if this is the best honeymoon resort as was swarming with kids but the staff won us over!

At first we were worried the constant BULA was a forced habit until we realised how genuine this was. The nightly butler service was great and we couldn't fault the help and welcome we revived. The spa was a particular highlight and we enjoyed an amazing couples massage. We also loved the restaurant overlooking the lagoon where we had a couple of delicious meals. Food and drink on the resort was fantastic and very reasonably priced (especially compared to Oz prices!)

Our only gripe was to separate child and adult areas- on honeymoon it felt like we were in Benidorm at times. I think it would have been wise to separate adult and kid swimming pools as we didn't swim as was swarming with children. However I saw many caring and fabuluos kids club staff so if I could risk a 27 hr journey with children we would return!

Thanks for our special honeymoon welcome and goodbye song!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gremelingirl
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2013
Dear Gremlingirl
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast! It sounds like you had a wonderful honeymoon back in August last year! We really do appreciate your comments about our staff – we are truly blessed with a magnificent team! I was delighted to read that you enjoyed the high standard of the meals in our restaurants.
One thing we do really well at Outrigger is listen to our guests! I am delighted to be able to advise you that our new “Adults Only” swimming pool is nearing completion and will be open by the end of April. This pool facility will feature a 20 metre lap pool, swim-up bar and a huge lagoon pool. It will be the ultimate couples chill-out area.
Gremlingirl, Once again we thank you for your comments – We look forward to the day when you to our beautiful resort.
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

this was a trip of a life time loved it 10 days of bliss with my now Husband and 4 of our good friends. the staff was amazing outstanding people they are!!
the manager of the butlers was a pleasure to meet he made our trip wonderful.

our rooms were lovely very well looked after. pool was fantastic, breakfast bar was huge :D didn't know where to start.

my partner and I got married at the Chapel it was a beautiful day though there was clearly massive
miscommunication between wedding coordinator and her staff and me, our rings were forgotten during the ceremony so got some interesting video to show family haha. would have liked an sorry from wedding coordinator.
the photographer was amazing we did loose light for the day again due to miscommunication between photographer and wedding coordinator, so he offered to come back the next day to take more photos so yes we did have to get back into our dress and suit and it was worth every second.
overall it was amazing...fiji is amazing place and the people.

we can truly say we have taken a little of Fiji Spirit and joy with us home :D
VINAKA VINAKA

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, February 21, 2013
Dear chrissy c
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I seriously enjoyed reading your review! It sounds like you had an amazing wedding, albeit with a few curve balls. I sincerely apologise for the mix-up with your wedding ring. I have discussed this issue with our weddings manager. It sounds like you have fully embraced the beauty and warmth of Fiji and I am delighted to read that you have taken some of the Fiji spirit home with you!
Chrissy c, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday. We look forward to the day when you and your husband return for another visit to our beautiful resort.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Myself, my husband (to be) and my 2 children (3years & 14months) stayed at The Outrigger last month and got married there too. (January 2013).
I can't fault anything at all. The entire experience from start to finish was perfect for us. We had an absolute ball and so did the children. My daughter LOVED Kids Club and both kids enjoyed swimming etc...they slept so well here (better than at home!!!) We made use of the Mei Mei Service, both during the day on 2 days, and 3 nights. All the Mei Mei's we met were so lovely and caring, and the kids adored them.
We stayed in a Garden Bure and had the Butler Service, the rooms were really good, and both of the ladies who took care of us (Talai Butler service) were fantastic and very helpful.
My Wedding, What can I say... It was PERFECT!!! and stressfree, thanks to Asmeen (The Wedding Services Manager) she was so professional, calming and accomodating. I would highly recommend getting married here, I had a wonderful experience and cannot fault a thing...
I got my Wedding Hair and Makeup done at Wavelengths Salon, by Apikali (Hair) and Ashika (Makeup) both girls were very relaxed, and incredibly professional, they did an amazing job, both really listened to what I wanted and got it spot on. (and I am fussy!!). I am a very happy customer, thanks so much ladies!
We used Allen, the Resort's Photographer... He did an amazing job and we are very, very Happy with our Wedding Album (which was ready for us when we checked out). I would recommend him as a Photographer. (so much cheaper than some of the photographers out there).
We had our wedding diner at the Ivy Restaurant, which truely was a fine dining experience...if you stay at the Outrigger, you must treat yourself to a meal here, the food and service was absolutely divine.
We both had massages up at he Bebe Spa, I also had a facial and eyebrow wax before the wedding, I recommend this as another thing that you must treat yourself to. The views from the Spa are amazing and the service, again is so professional. The Kalokalo Bar up on the hill where the Spa is another must for some Tapas and a glass of Champagne, the views are stunning.
The restaurant's were all great, and standard restaurant prices that you would pay in Australia. (which some people think is expensive, but when you weigh up the cost of the whole holiday and the fact that the kids eat for free, I think it's pretty good).
Vinaka Outrigger! We had a fantastic holiday and will definately be back again (hopefully annually!!)

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Kath W
Dear Kath W
What an outstanding review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your “perfect wedding and holiday”. It sounds like you had a wonderful time at our beautiful resort.
As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine.
I will most certainly pass your comments onto your wedding planner, Asmeen and also Api and Ashika from the hair salon and Allan, your photographer. As you found out, our weddings operation is 100% seamless, as we can provide all of the services such as photographer, florist and hair and makeup at the resort.
I also thank you thank you for your comments on our restaurants! We rate our restaurants as the best of any resort in Fiji!
Kath W, Once again we thank you for your comments. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Shanghai, China
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Generally it it the best hotel of my Fiji tour. Rooms are great, beds are comfortable, stuff is helpful and friendly. Cocktails are amazing!
Minuses:
Takes you forever to get to the beach. Swimming pool smells chlorine from way out far. Food is not too bad, however the wine selection is far from being great.
Not a bad place for a couple of nights stopover if transiting through Fiji to the islands.

Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Illia99
We appreciate the time you have taken to advise readers on your most recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable time at our beautiful resort. As you found out, we have a wonderful team of warm and friendly staff at the resort!
Illia99, once again we thank you for your comments! All of my team looks forward to the day when next you return to our beautiful resort.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Our family of 2 kids (5 and 1yrs) stayed 10 nights at the outrigger in January. The hotel was amazing, perfect, could not fault it at all!!! The kids club was fantastic and we had a nanny for my 1 year old which was the BEST!! I could not recommend this hotel any more (I am a very well traveled person and very fussy) I recommend getting a meal plan if possible (the food can get quite pricey) and the drinks (cocktails and mock-cocktails) can get pricey like about AUD15-7 each, can add up at the end of 10 nights. I was very surprised at the high quality food available, so fresh and so well cooked.
Overall a great holiday will love to go again.
And the Nanny staff (we had Selita) was so so so nice, we miss them.

Room Tip: If you can afford to upgrade to the Bure they were really private and looked so nice. If it was avai...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Nicolle U
Dear Nicolle U
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! I am absolutely thrilled that you and your family had such a memorable holiday experience! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. Thank you for your wonderful comments about your dining experiences at the resort! We are blessed with some of the best restaurants in Fiji with our ‘fine dine’ Ivi restaurant rated as the top restaurant in Fiji. As you found out, Fijians seriously know how to look after children – I will most certainly pass your compliments on to your Meimei nanny, Selita - She is an outstanding member of our staff.
Nicolle U, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return for your next visit to our beautiful resort.
Malibu, California
Reviewed February 19, 2013

We enjoyed a fun 4 day, 3 night visit to Fiji, staying at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, (Viti Levu, near Sigatoka, Fiji). We booked this stay as an extra option (side trip) that was offered, to a Brendan Tours package tour of Australia that we were on. We had never been to Fiji, so when offered the chance to see another island paradise country, while flying 14 hours anyway (from Los Angeles), we jumped on the opportunity – and glad that we did.
The Fiji Outrigger on the Lagoon Resort was very nice, and had everything that you needed in one place, so there was no need for a rental car while in Fiji (we were shuttled by private car to and from the airport as part of our package deal, about 45 minutes from the airport). We had a very nice, large room, 2nd floor, overlooking the beach (“Deluxe Ocean View”, in the long building next to the pool and beach, with in-room safe, TV, air conditioned, balcony, etc.). Included with the room was evening “Butler service”, where a Butler would bring by a complimentary can of beer or glass of champagne for each adult, and hors d'oeuvres. The pools were very nice, and the resort offered free snorkel gear and free kayaks to use out in the calm, warm, shallow, ocean waters at the sandy beach (within a protected reef, with a reef that is way outside). There was not much to see when snorkeling, but it was fun to do it anyway.
We had the daily all-you-can-eat Breakfast Buffet included in our deal, which was a nice way to start the day. Restaurants were pricey at the resort, but if you looked a bit, there were more reasonable priced meal choices to be found. We would have a later breakfast (sleeping in longer, to recover from jet lag), then lounge by the pool or ocean and skip lunch, then go for an early dinner and drinks. The restaurant next to the pool offered fair-priced late lunch (until about 430 PM), such as salads, burgers, sandwiches, fish & chips, etc., for $10-$15 (U.S. Dollars), but then closed and became an expensive Asian Fusion Bistro for dinner. The Buffet was a bit pricey for dinners, at about $36-$39 USD$ per person, with theme nights (Italian food, Mexican night, Asian cuisine, etc.). The fancy restaurant overlooking the beach (Sundowner Bar & Grill) was also pricey at night, but had some early-bird specials, that were much more reasonable. Without a car, and nothing outside the resort nearby, within walking distance, you were a bit “stuck” with eating only at the resort, which could be expensive, and seemed to be a common source of complaints among other Trip Advisor review writers (but again, if you looked around, there were some other reasonable priced options at the resort, at off peak meal times…).

The staff here were OUTSTANDING, extremely FRIENDLY, and embodied the "old-school" Pacific Islander welcoming friendly spirit (that once upon a time was the reason tourism started to first hit Hawaii…) – in Fiji they welcome you with the word “BULA!”

We were enroute to our first ever and eagerly anticipated visit to Australia, and we had an unexpected, fun, enjoyable experience in Fiji - while we relaxing were around the pools in Fiji, we would see groups of young friends and young couples (there was a large contingent of ~25-35 year olds here, but a mix of all other age groups too) walking around the pools, looking very much like American young people, the guys in their board shorts (recognizable “American brand” type board shorts) and girls in bikinis. What we found humorous, was that although they looked just like American young people, that we would see back home in Hawaii and the Caribbean, and other resort places, as they walked past us, hearing them talking among themselves, we really ENJOYED hearing their very strong and PLEASANTLY DISTINCT AUSSIE ACCENTS – we just did not expect that (we expected them to sound like American "kids" (young adults), since they looked just like American kids back home, but we were pleasantly surprised to hear the Aussie accents….), and enjoyed it very much - brought smiles to our faces ever time we would hear them talking! It got us even more ready for our great Aussie experience that came next! We then realized that with Fiji being just 2-3 hours from Australia, this is like Hawaii and the Caribbean is for American tropical resort/beach-destination travelers… Fiji seems to be an Aussie playground and vacation spot – Cool!)

Our Fiji stopover deal included a local attraction for one of the days that we were there, a Sugar Cane Train trip, with a visit and guided tour of a Fijian village, a train ride thru the countryside and along the coast, lunch at a restaurant at the end of the train line, then a relaxing visit to a sandy tropical swimming beach – it was a good experience, and a nice way to get out of the resort, see more of Fiji, meet other travelers, etc. (Natadola Beach Sugar Train excursion, done by the Coral Coast Railway Co.).
This was a very good place to stay and have a good, fun first-time in Fiji experience!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MalibuFireman
Dear MalibuFireman
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your feedback! We are delighted that you had a “wonderful experience” at our beautiful resort. I have noted your comments regarding our buffet breakfast. As you found out, our buffet breakfast is rated the best in Fiji! The variety of foods is truly amazing. Most people enjoy the delicious smoothies, the freshly squeezed juice station and also the live “hot breakfast” cooking station but my favorite is the fresh fruit trolley. Fiji pineapples have to be the juiciest you will find anywhere in the world and the papaya sprinkled with fresh lemon juice is to die for!
Thank you for your comments on our staff! Your comments “Outstanding and extremely friendly” pretty well sums them up – They truly love engaging with our guests!
MalibuFireman, once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji holiday experience. Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!