“Great staff, lots to do.”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Moss Vale, Australia
“Great staff, lots to do.”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

After Cyclone Evan and some disappointment and sadness for the crew at Castaway Island, now closed until April, we decided to turn our 2 day stay at The Outrigger into 8 days.

From the first "BULA" and smile by the gate keeper we were treated with warmth and friendliness.

Lots to praise about The Outrigger, but it all comes back to the wonderful staff.

Finau, our Talai butler talked about his life and we felt like family. He was wonderful and looked after us with care.

Uncle Jim took us to his village where we were privileged to learn about Fijian village life and meet the wonderful people of Malevu. He also was available throughout the week in many other parts of the hotel, including informing us at the Fire Walking evening with the amazing men from Beqa.

The torch lighters were happy for as many photos as people required, as were the dancers who entertain at the restaurant. I believe coming from local villages Malevu and Korotogo.

Luke, the scientist and magician of golf. We had a great time improving our swing and having a laugh with this lovely man.

Milika at the Art Cart told us stories of her life whilst teaching us traditional crafts.

Ateshi at BeBe spa has magical hands and we talked about her job. All the staff at BeBe are fantastic.

The restaurant, coffee shop and bar staff are extremely skilled and don't miss a thing, and even when flat out they are always smiling and gentle.

The lovely ladies selling their wares around the walk ways, always friendly and happy.

The room cleaners were always spot on and friendly, again no mater how hot or busy they were.

The gym was great, as was the tennis and golf range. Horse riding with Ned was a highlight for my teens.

Kayaking and snorkelling were fun. The reef is not brilliant, but if you go where the activities staff tell you, you will find abundant fish and some new growth coral.

The Arts program was always fun and we never had enough time to do all the things we wanted

The food was fabulous at all restaurants and levels with one exception (sorry!). Room service was nowhere near the same standard. The pizza was horrid, under cooked and the base looked and tasted like a cheap supermarket base. Pizza elsewhere was great. The other room service food was okay, but not great. The meal voucher system was really good, particularly if you have big eaters!

Drinks of the cocktail variety were fun as were the cocktails, if just a little pricey.

Our rooms were very clean, modern, A/C fantastic. On the top floor of the old hotel part near The Sundowner and Lagoon. Nice view which often included the horses, frolicking around, never tied up, just wandering about.

We did not need the kids club or nannies, but the nannies were always happy and beautiful with the children.

A great place for families with children of all ages. More facilities are being built for couples/adults who would like less interaction with children, but already there are many places at the Outrigger you can go that are quieter.

Loved it and will be back again soon. Thanks to all the staff.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank PMSEK
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear PMSEK
What an outstanding review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. This is most probably one of the most comprehensive reviews I have read about the resort. You have covered all aspects of a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We also appreciate your patience and understanding with the closure of Castaway Island Resort after the devastation of Tropical Cyclone Evan - whilst it was quite an ordeal, I am happy to advise that repairs to Castaway are on track and they should be ready to accept guests as from the 1st April.
As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most certainly pass on your comments to the staff mentioned in your commentary. I have noted your comments relating to the room service pizza – I apologise for this occurrence! I assure you that this issue has been addressed by our Executive Chef.
PMSEK, Once again we thank you for your comments. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (936)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Picton, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Just come back from my honeymmon with my wife after staying at the outrigger for 9 days ,we loved the outrigger ,the people and there service where second to none ,we stayed in a beautiful ocean breeze room ,with great views of the ocean and scenery ,the food ,the ocean and the pool where awesome ,everything was so nice ! the outrigger is well looked after and there staff are some of the friendliest people trace and myself have met ,two big highlights from the outrigger was the awesome butler finau, which was so friendly and talked and told us what ever we needed to know or what help we asked from him, he not just a butler now,trace and i consider him a friend ,highly recommend any one asking for him ,one of the nicest blokes there ,also on the last night we where sitting outside the beautiful sundower bar and grill overlooking the ocean and the was a great gentleman playing music in there ,forgot hes name , i went up without my wife knowing and asked him he knew and could play the our wedding song ,sure enough he knew it,played it for us and it was one of the best things trace and i will never forget for as long as we live ,could go on all day about how great it was there ,will try to add a photo of him ,just get your butts there and im sure you wont be dissapointed.

Thank you outrigger for making our honeymoon a great one

Brett & Tracey

Room Tip: ocean breeze in the low numbers , stayed in 211 right on the ocean
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Brett S
What an outstanding review!
We sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your honeymoon at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. You have covered all aspects of your stay at our beautiful resort, from the accommodation, swimming pool, restaurants and beach.
As you have stated in your commentary, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I will most certainly pass on your comments to the staff mentioned in your commentary in particular your talai butler, Finau. The name of the gentlemen at the Sundowner Bar and Grill that you have referred to is Terawa. How good is he? My personal favorite pastime at Outrigger is having a steak and a bottle of wine down at the Sundowner Bar and Grill, watching the sun set over the ocean, with Terawa playing his guitar in the background.
I will most certainly pass your compliments onto him.
Brett S, Once again we thank you for your comments. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Spent 10 days at the Outrigger in early January and I can not speak highly enough of this resort. I traveled with my wife and 10 month old and it was the perfect holiday and just what we needed after our first year as parents.

Highlights:
- The staff clearly the best asset to this resort. Friendly and happy to help in any way.
- The grounds are beautiful and although some areas need a little TLC it is a good as the photos look.
- The Spa is very relaxing and reasonably priced.
- The Talai service (buttler) was a nice touch. (Tave thank you!)
- The Mei Mei (Nanny Service) was just what we needed. Our little girl loved it and we enjoyed some adult time (Thanks Adi)
- The food was beautiful
- The activities were great and interesting. (Thanks Uncle Jim for the culture tours!)
- The best variety of Kids meals we have ever seen and ALL FREE!

Tips on Traveling to the Outrigger:
Meals: Many people have spoken about the meals and weather or not to purchase a meal plan or just pay as you go. To keep it simple, if you buy the meal plan (which is a voucher for each meal that you hand over instead of $$$ - you pre-purchase) based on the current prices you get lunch for free. Breakfast and Dinner are huge meals and you could get away with no lunch, however you may as well pre purchase the meal plan and get your lunch for free. The way we went with it was we purchased 7 days worth of vouches (3 meals a day) and spread them over the 10 days. Some days we had a late Breakfast and late lunch and no dinner. Or no breakfast and an early lunch etc.

Butler Service (only in some categories of rooms). They come to your room about 5pm with a little bite to eat and a drink. If you don't drink, ask for juice or soft drink. About 8pm they leave a small dessert and a night cap in your room. Speak to your Butler to personalise the service to you.

Prices: Meals and drinks are around the same price as in Australia. There is a happy hour.

Internet: A little pricey, so if you can get a good roaming plan on your phone or a pre paid sim (Vodafone is big in Fiji) go with that.

Transfer: Get a private transfer. This will give you a 1 hour trip (not the 2 hours that other reviewers give you).

Overall we loved it and will be back (maybe as early as next Jan) this time with Friends!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank MOKROK
Dear MOKROK
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! We are thrilled that you had such a memorable holiday experience and that my team “ticked all of the boxes”. We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. I thank you for your wonderful comments on our staff – we are truly blessed with an unbelievable team!
Great tips on meal packages – I seriously believe that after a “Big Brekkie” you only need a small snack for lunch then enjoy a yummy dinner at one of our award winning restaurants. I was really pleased to read that you took advantage of the Meimei nanny service – That is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about?? We take good care of the children, no matter what age, so that Mum and Dad can have some quality time together.
I also concur with your thoughts on transfers – It is so much easier to pay for your own private vehicle transfer, which can be organized through our reservations department.
MOKROK, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return for your next visit to our beautiful resort.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We spent 6 blissful nights at Outrigger over Christmas with our 2 children ages 4 and 2. We had the most lovely nanny who looked after our 2yo and took both kids along to the kids clubs. They had the best time ever! We had to force them to not go on Christmas Day and spend the day with us!! I had never left my 2 year old with anyone other than family so was a bit nervous at the thought of it. Can I just say the mei mei (nanny) service is just so amazing and I felt totally at ease. Our nanny (Talei) was just so so so wonderful with the children. I don't think we just got lucky as they all seemed so beautiful. This allowed us to have the most perfect well balanced 6 days of family time, relaxing time and time just the 2 of us.

The customer service was just impeccable from start to end. We left our car keys in the room and didn't realise until after we had left, staying in another resort in denaru (1.5 hrs away). We were due to fly back to Sydney the next morning. I rang them up and without hesitation they gave the keys to the next driver leaving the resort who left them at an arranged spot at the airport. Amazing.

If you are a family and in desperate need of some R&R this is the perfect haven!! The resort is big so if you are a couple without kids, I do believe you can separate yourself for more peace and quiet! So much so, I have just told my Mum and Dad about our stay and they have just booked for 7 nights at the end of January.

We will be back for sure!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Liv366
Liv366
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Thank you for your outstanding review! It sounds like you had an amazing holiday. As you found out, we are truly blessed with a wonderful team – I will most certainly pass your comments onto our meimei nannies, in particular Talei. I was delighted to read that they took such good care of your 4 year old and 2 year old.
What you have described is what a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is all about??? Whilst the children are having a wonderful time with their respective nannies, Mums and Dads can have some quality time together; either having a romantic treatment at our world renowned Bebe Spa or even dine in Fiji’s number one “fine dine” restaurant, Ivi
Liv366, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you and the children back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?
Reviewed January 10, 2013

We stayed at Outrigger on the Lagoon for a wedding and, despite unseasonal rain every day of our week long trip, we had a fantastic holiday. The staff were lovely and willing to assist in any way, the food was great and the drinks were divine!

We especially enjoyed the Ivi Restaurant and ate here twice. It’s very rare to come across such great service, even here in Australia at chef hatted restaurants. Every single person at the Ivi, from the person who meets you at the door, to the waiters and Sam the guitarist, should be commended for excellent and welcoming service. The staff really made our experience special and I would highly recommend eating at least once at this restaurant.

We managed to eat at every restaurant during our visit:
- Sundowner Bar – FANTASTIC breakfast, great food, drinks and service and a great view
- Kalokalo Bar – slow service so don’t go if you’re in a hurry but good food and cocktails
- Vale Ni Kana – standard buffet fare
- In-room Dining – standard hotel room service, large portions
- Vakavanua Lounge – great drinks
- Baravi Restaurant – ok food.
I got violently ill one night and day of our stay after eating at the Baravi Restaurant so make sure you pack the Imodium and electrolytes as I’ve since been told that this is quite common in Fiji.

During our stay I visited the Bebe Spa twice. The first time was for a ‘ladies day’ with a group of girls for mani / pedis. This visit was disappointing as for the $116 AUD price tag all we actually received was a buff and polish that I could have done at home in 15 minutes. I would not recommend this at all as it wasn’t worth the money. By comparison we also booked one of the couple’s packages (‘Time Together’). This was expensive but worth every single cent. We started with a couple’s milk bath sipping champagne and eating fruit before a massage, wrap and facial in a private room. Pure bliss and highly recommended. This second visit far exceeded all of my expectations and really helped to get us into the relaxed, Fiji state of mind.

This resort markets itself as a family resort and there are a lot of children at the resort, especially in the pool. I go as far as to say that it's hard to find a place at the resort that is child free. If you’re after a relaxing adults only holiday this probably isn’t the place to go. We felt that every swim was accompanied by screaming (which I can’t complain about as it is a pool area!) but it was hard to just lie back and relax at times. When we were there an adults’ only pool was close to completion and this will be an excellent addition to the resort. The beach is ok – remember it is called the Coral Coast for a reason so if you’re planning on swimming at the beach remember to bring some reef shoes.

When we were there in September there was a wedding every single day. This was great for us as we were there to party and celebrate and so the bar was pumping every night but if that’s not for you, I’d ask for a room away from the wedding reception areas when booking.

We had an Ocean View Deluxe Room and it was a large room overlooking the gardens. The room itself was lovely. Large, comfortable bed, a lounge and table, it was also clean and well decorated. The bathroom was also clean and spacious. However, the room was a LONG walk to the ocean. As we were in the main reception building it was also quite a long walk to the pool and restaurants (with a lot of stairs – although there is a lift). I would ask for a room in the newer building down near the pool, I think it’s called the Lagoon Wing. This wing would be ideal as it’s close to the pool, beach, restaurants and all other activities.

The only complaint about our stay would be the butler service. We paid extra for a Deluxe Room to receive the Talai Butler service which entitles you to sparkling wine and canapés delivered to the room in the evening as well as a turn down service, amongst other services. We found that if you weren’t in your room at the exact time that the canapés were delivered you missed out. On the seven nights we were at the resort, we received the canapés three times and the turn down service only once. In addition, we noticed an inconsistency in this service between rooms. For example, one room received the canapés only once but received turn down service each night with chocolates on the pillow. No one in our party received canapés every night of their stay. When a complaint was made, canapés were delivered promptly however we didn’t feel like we should have to complain every day. Overall this was not enough to ruin our stay but I wouldn’t spring the extra money for the deluxe rooms if you’re only booking for this service. I do note that those in the bures did receive their canapés. They also received a second set of evening canapés. I would definitely book a bure next time!

Throughout our stay, from check-in, to the spa, the bars and restaurants and even walking around the resort the staff were happy, friendly and incredibly helpful. Overall a great resort with lovely staff and plenty of ways to fill those lazy Fijian holiday days!

Room Tip: If booking a hotel room ask for one in the wing closest to the pool as the rooms in the main buildin...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank JASMAM
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 11, 2013
Dear JASMAM
What an outstanding review! Whilst everything was not to your expectation, I sincerely thank you for taking the time to provide both good and bad comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
I really enjoyed reading your commentary on our fine dine restaurant, Ivi. As you have rightly stated, it is an outstanding dining experience equal to what you would find in restaurants in Sydney or Melbourne.
As you also found out, our staff are what sets us apart from all of the other resorts, not just in Fiji but also Australasia – We are truly blessed with the warmest and friendliest team you could ever imagine. I am somewhat concerned by your comments on the butler service. The same service should apply to all accommodation types that receive this special service. I will follow up with our room division manager to find out why your friends and yourself did not receive the full talai butler service. I sincerely apolgise for this occurrence. Thank you for your comments on the Bebe Spa. I have addressed the issues relating to the ladies day. JASMAM, Once again we thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed January 9, 2013

After reading reviews of this place I was extremely excited to visit. Couldn’t wait to experience their world famous spa! OMG!!! This place is amazing! It is built to look like a traditional (5star) Fijian village. Staff are 10/10! No complaints at all.... NOW THE SPA! Sitting proudly at the top of the hill, accessible by resort golf cart. Amazing views and service. must get a Lomulomu (Hope that’s spelt right) Massage! HEVEN!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank KiwiTravelGuru
Dear KiwiTravelguru
We appreciate the time you have taken to advise readers on your most recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday and it particular you had the time to enjoy the wonderful temptations of our Bebe Spa. Only last week, Bebe Spa was rated as the 4th best spa in the South Pacific, including Australia and New Zealand. I was also pleased to read that you experienced the authentic culture of Fiji within the resort. This is what a holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji is all about.
As you found out, we are blessed with a wonderful team of warm and friendly staff at the resort.
KiwiTravelguru, once again we thank you for your comments! All of my team looks forward to the day when next you return to our beautiful resort.
Brooklyn,NY
Reviewed January 8, 2013

The resort is 1.5 hours from Nadi airport. It was a surprise, but we actually enjoyed seen the locals. The resort was marvelous. We got our room before check in time. I would suggest a bure in front of the ocean. The beach is nice, but rocky, so you will need to wear water shoes or a sandal.
The water was perfect. Please be careful with the sun. Very strong and you will burn fast. Also we found one stinger. The service is very friendly and the Fijian people very nice. The food was good but not great. This is a resort for family with kids, which we did not mind.
The spa service (facial and pedicure) were very poor. Not worth the money.
Overall we were very happy with the time spent there. We were looking to rest and we did. The butlers came every afternoon to fix the room and offer free Fiji water bottles.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank LuluBrooklyn
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear LuluBrooklyn
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your time with us!
As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests.
I have noted your comments regarding the facial at the Bebe Spa. I sincerely apologise that this service was not up to standard. I have taken the appropriate measures to address this area of concern.
LuluBrooklyn, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort, sometime in the not too distant future.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,022 reviews
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!