“A short stay in paradice”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Mississauga, Canada
“A short stay in paradice”
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Bula, My wife and I stayed at the "Outrigger" for three nights in October, a short stopover on our trip from Canada to join our APT tour of New Zealnd and Australia in Auckland. We were in a ground floor room looking out onto the Ocean. The room-service, the staff, the location - everything was so great that we are thinking of a return visit for a longer stay. Also took in the Tapas (yum yum) in the resturant at the Spa and the sunset views were to die for. The only problem we had was as we departed Canada Thursday and arrived in Fiji on Saturday (crossed date line and lost Friday) we would have liked to have got that extra day LOL.
Bob & Dee

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear mbg298
We appreciate the time you have taken to advise readers on your most recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji. We are delighted that you had such a wonderful holiday experience, so much so that you intend to return.
As you found out, we have a wonderful team of warm and friendly staff at the resort – This is what we are known for! I was also pleased to read that you enjoyed the tapas and views at the stunning kalokalo bar.
Mbg298, once again we thank you for your comments! All of my team looks forward to the day when next you return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (943)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hobart, Australia
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I was disappointed with the lack of options here. I was promised "clear snorkelling and kayaking" which was why I booked. The weather was not great but when we got to the beach I was told I wasn't allowed out even though there were men out kayaking. Not a good impression when it was why I went to Fiji. I also had problems with the room that we had and the food. Not the most enjoyable trip and won't go back. The limited activities were disappointing for me. Fiji was not as it was in the brochure for us. The day spa was the saving grace and would go back there anytime!!

Room Tip: If you are going get a bungalow. The rooms are not great.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear KatieR84
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji. We are obviously disappointed that there were aspects of your holiday that did not meet your expectations.
I was quite surprised by your comment, “that there were not enough options”??? Activities are what Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji and the Coral Coast are renowned for. Jet Boat rides to indigenous villages, white water rafting, scuba diving, fishing, golf, surfing and Jet Ski tours are all available within an easy half hour drive from the resort. We also conduct a full range of activities within the resort.
The only reason we do not let guests go out on the sea kayaks in rough weather is for their own safety. My understanding was that the wind was quite strong on the day you wished to go sea kayaking.
KatieR84, Once again we thank you for your comments.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We have recently returned from a 5 night stay at the Outrigger. My husband, myself, our two year old son, and my sister and her two children (9 and 13) all travelled together. We stayed in a plantation bure and my sister, a resort view room. We were both very happy with our room and its facilities. Our rooms were very clean and tidy, they were serviced to a high standard each day, and our Talai Butler Zac was wonderful. We didn't call on him much, as whenever staff were walking by our room, they would always stop and ensure we were happy, ask if we needed anything, and they were always so obliging. Truly service with a smile!!

We spent most the day by the pool. The pool is perfect for kids, even our two year old had plenty of shallow water to play in. I think he spent 90% of his waking time in the pool!! The staff working around the pool were also wonderful. Always checking if we needed drinks or food, and the service was very fast. A special mention to Ana and Dean who both continuously went out of there way to deliver a great service to us!!

This was our first trip to Fiji and we are absolutely amazed by all the staff at the Outrigger. The Fijian's are one of a kind, so friendly and happy. The staff absolutely made our holiday, and I am very eager to return to see those happy faces again.

I would highly recommend doing the village tour just near by to the Outrigger. I found this to be an amazing experience, and like the staff at the Outrigger, they are very welcoming and friendly. I was also wonderful to play with the fijian children, and gain a small glimpse of life in the villages in Fiji. It was very cheap at only $25FJD per adult.

There is a lot of talk among the tourist at the resort about how much the staff earn, and it makes me very sad to see them work long hard days in the heat, for $3 or so per hour.

On our village tour, we were told they earn as little as $2 per hour, and mind you, this is fijian dollars (so about 1.67 Australian). With such low wages in mind, obviously the operating costs are a lot less, yet the hotel still charges Australian prices (if not more) for food and cocktails. In Australia we pay the same price for food and drinks, yet in Australia, the staff are earning $20/$30 per hour. I was more than happy to pay these prices, yet I don't understand why the staff cannot be paid what they are worth? Even a couple more dollars per hour, particularly given their very low standards of living. I felt so bad that I had to tip almost every time I was served, which has made for a very expensive food and beverage bill.

This resort, and I'm sure all Fijian resorts, would not be anywhere as near as good as they are if it were not for the beautiful Fijian people!

That is the only negative thing I can say about the Outrigger and Fiji. I am already planning my next trip back, as Fiji is truely amazing!!

Room Tip: Plantation Bure is great, however given you spend most your time by the pool, or dining and drinking...
3 Thank Lynlee_12
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Lynlee_12
Sunny greetings from Coral Coast! We are thrilled that you and your family and your sister’s family had such a memorable holiday experience. We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment. I was delighted to read that you and your family enjoyed the many and varied dining options around the resort. We also thank you for your wonderful comments on our staff – we are truly blessed with an unbelievable team! I will most certainly pass your comments onto Ana, Dean and Zac.
I have noted your comments on the wages in Fiji. Outrigger pays over and above the award wage to all of our employees at the resort. It is important to understand that the need and wants of the Fijian people are very different to us Aussies. On top of their wages the resort also provides one very large meal to each of our employees, we pick them up and drop them off to their villages at no charge and we also provide them with their uniforms each day. Unfortunately one of our biggest challenges in Fiji is when we have to import goods such as beef, wine, spirits as well as other food products. We have to pay a 36% import tax on all imported goods – Very challenging indeed!
Lynlee_12, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return for your next visit to our beautiful resort.
NSW Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

From the moment we arrived at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, we had a magical holiday. The staff are there to cater to your every need. I cannot express enough how wonderful the staff are, and at the end of each day your face will be sore from constantly smiling.

We upgraded our accommodation to a plantation Bure, which I would highly recommend. The rooms are lovely, and every evening we had personal staff come and provide canapes and drinks to the room. The staff also made sure our son was catered for and they really made an extra effort to make him feel welcome. Staff would remember his name after one meeting, and always make sure they said hello to him during our stay.

We used the Mei-Mei service (Nanny's) on a few occassions - our son loved the quality time he had with Mei-Mei's and they really are the most beautiful babysitters. They took my son down to the beach and played games, collected hermit crabs and lots of other activities.

I highly recommend the day spa - we had the romantic couples treatment with milk bath. This was really beautiful at sunset, as we sat in the milkbath watching the sunset. I highly recommend an afternoon in the Kalokalo bar (located at the top of the mountain with the day spa), as well as the Ivi Restaurant (no children allowed, but Mei-Mei's will take children for dinner at the main restaurant). At the Ivi, make sure to try the Kakonda, which is prepared and served fresh at your table.

The pool is great, and I highly recommend spending half a day at the Kula Eco Park. It was so wonderful to watch the Fijian school children enjoy the zoo, and the staff are really lovely, too.

Only regrets - at arrival, we arranged for food vouchers for 5 days - breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wish we had of only paid for three, as I would have liked to try some of the restaurants in Sigatoka. Also, there is a lovely place we found within walking distance from the restaurant (unfortunately, we found it on our last night there) - great food and great price, and a happy hour that was much cheaper than the Outrigger!! I highly recommend the short walk along the beach to Le Cafe, it gives you a taste of the real Fiji (and the people are just as lovely!!), please ignore the scary sign at the end of the resort warning you not to go off the resort property, my goodness that's terrible propaganda!

Finally, make sure you spend at least one evening in the Vakavanua Bar. The live entertainment is great. But the highlight is the cheeky bar staff that really do bring the bar to life. We spent one wet afternoon in the bar watching a game of local rugby on TV with the bar staff, it was so great to share that experience, they were so passionate and excited. It was one of the highlights of my trip.

I highly recommend this resort, especially for families. Their attention to detail is exemplary, and they really did make our time there so special. We can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Definitely loved the Plantation Bure, next time we will budget to go for a Beach Bure.
2 Thank Ducati_Girl848
Dear Ducati_Girl848
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I was pleased to read that you took advantage of our wonderful meimei “nanny” service. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about??? Our nannies look after the children so that Mum and Dad can enjoy a relaxing treatment at our world class spa, dine in our fine dine restaurant or even just hang out by the pool so as to spend some much needed one on one time together.
The only problem you have is that the children usually fall in love with their nannies and it is difficult to get them back????
As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass your compliments onto the team in the Vakavanua Lounge.
Ducati_Girl848, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort, sometime in the not too distant future.
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have just arrived home from a week at the Outrigger and overall it was a good holiday. We stayed in a Plantation Bure. The overall feel of the place is pretty relaxed. It is about 60-75 minutes away from the airport, so pre-booking transport is useful.

The room was a good size and my two kids (1 & 2 yo) slept in the sofa bed, as having a cot in may have been a bit crowded. The bathroom area was pretty good, and the kids loved playing on the lawn and hammock/chair on the porch.

The kids were given a hospital style wrist band on check in (that you could write their names on) and this ensured that they ate for free at the main buffet and from the kids menus at the other two main restaurants. The MeiMei (nanny) service was very good - they had the kids amused and we received a written report of what they'd been up to each time. Overall the staff loved kids and made an effort to know the kids by name and were keen on making them the centre of attention.

The food (generally) was pretty good but the main three restaurants lacked much inspiration on the menu. I see that some other people had gastro issues, and I have to admit that our family also had the same - our youngest was not right from about half way through, and it finally declared itself as a gastro with a day and a half left of the holiday. My wife was crook on the way home as well - likely picked up whatever the boy had. Bear in mind that we'd also done the Sigatoka River Trip, so it could have been from the village, and my boy was running around and into everything (parents will understand what a walking 14 month boy is like).

The resort pool was good with several areas off the main section of pool to keep the kids safe and happy. The resort shops were enough to get by on, but the 'general store' lacked anything of substance for an early breakfast.

Ivi was a good night - dropped the kids with the Mei Mei service (first time ever looked after by strangers for a dinner). The ambience and service here was amazing. Really happy with the food. Wines were a bit expensive. For the two of us, it ended up about FJ$500, or about A$350 at the current exchange rate. The menu was good enough that you could do a few nights here without getting bored.

Kalokalo is a cool tapas/cocktails bar at the top of the hill above the spa (we did not get to the spa). Like Ivi, it is a kid free zone. Worth doing - different feel, but we enjoyed it, much cheaper than Ivi.

The gym is well appointed with new machines etc. We did not use the on site activities centre, but we did try to get out a bit. Will try to post a review of Kula Eco Park and Sigatoka River Trip. It is a taxi ride into town or to anywhere other than the resort - so ok if you like being secluded/trapped in a resort.

My main complaint was that I did not get out surfing. We'd selected this area of Fiji because it was close to Sigatoka Sand Dunes/River mouth which is one of the few beach breaks on Viti Levu, and due to the hotel which has ranked well on this site. The hotel's external activities desk was not much help in organising a surfing morning. Checked the internet whilst we were there and found Waidroka as a possibility that was relatively close by. They were quite helpful, but it is a 45-60min cab drive, at F$190, so it got costly for a paddle in unsurfable conditions. The cab driver (Johnny) suggested a local surf guide to the break nearby - Chong Sue (M) 8766327, who also had boards for hire. I was teed up to go for a surf with Chong, but had to look after my sick boy.

Overall, the place was good, the kids were well catered for and had fun. Minor annoyances prevented it from being a perfect holiday.

Room Tip: Pay for the cost of an upgrade to a bure. The inclusion of the butler service pays for it all, let a...
2 Thank GavinNicole
Dear GavinNicole
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! I have noted your comments in relation to several guests getting a tummy bug. I assure you that the food at the resort is of the highest quality and that we have stringent hygiene guidelines that are practiced by all of our staff. In fact we are so confident of the hygiene in our kitchens that every Tuesday, I personally take all of our guests for a back of house tour. It is more than likely that your son and your wife picked up some sort of viral bug.
I was delighted to read that you took advantage of our meimei nanny service and dined at our fine dine restaurant, Ivi. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about.
I sincerely apologise that you did get the opportunity to go surfing whilst you were staying at the resort. There are several world class breaks quite close to the resort, Hideaway Bay and Sigatoka River mouth.
GavinNicole, Once again we thank you for your feedback. Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future.
Brisbane
Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days in this hotel in later November. This is a very casual and friendly hotel targeted for families with young children.
Quite far from the airport so make sure you book private transportation instead of using the share buses if you are not prepared to spend more than one hour around children screaming because they are tired of the trip or bored.
High points: the staff, the spa, and the price of the meals (quite reasonable for this kind of hotel)
Low points: too far from the airport, not really a beach hotel (yes, that is correct, if you want to go for a swim in the ocean this is not your hotel).
I recommend this place for families with small children who are looking for spending some time around the pool.

Room Tip: For families with young children
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Makenote
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
We appreciate your feedback! Whilst we do get a large number of families staying at the resort 30% of our guests are couples. We listen to our guests and one of the main reasons we are building a new “Adults Only” swimming pool is due to feedback from guests such as yourself. Our new pool will be completed by late March, therefore we do hope that you will come back and stay with us again.
One other small tip – It is much better to get a private car transfer from the airport to the resort. Costs AUD$75 for a car and driver and takes just over one hour!
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were married at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji on the 3rd November and couldn't be happier we chose here for our special day. Asmeen the Wedding Co-ordinator is absolutely amazing! She had a wedding on almost every day we were there yet she was always so happy and helpful and never made you feel like you were just another number to them. The ceremony in the chapel was gorgeous, the reception setting on the Terrace looked like a fairy-tale and the food was sensational. The whole team do an absolutely incredible job from set-up to pack-down, we couldn't have had a more perfect day.

A definate highlight was the Fijian Fireshow which we included in our wedding package and it was by far the best part of the night. It was a surprise for all our guests and we cannot recommend it highly enough.

We had 30 family and friends also stay at the resort for our wedding (and a family holiday) and they all raved about their stay and thanked us for getting married there.

The food throughout the resort is excellent however, the Sundowner was definately our favourite due to the location on the beachfront.

The service is also fantastic, the staff couldn't do enough for us and we especially loved our afternoon visits from "Toby" our Talai Butler bringing us champagne and canapes. We did a number of craft classes with the local village ladies who were so patient, kind and we loved learning all about the local village life.

We can't wait to return to celebrate our anniversary!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of the main building it had amazing view the rooms down the beachfront may...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
Dear BV3280
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at our beautiful resort. I was pleased to read that Asmeen and her team took such good care of you and your wedding guests. Over the last 3 years, we have gained a very strong reputation for the best weddings in Fiji.
As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass your compliments onto Toby, your butler.
BV3280, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return for your 1st wedding anniversary.
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!