“The perfect holiday”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed December 1, 2012

From the moment we arrived at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, we had a magical holiday. The staff are there to cater to your every need. I cannot express enough how wonderful the staff are, and at the end of each day your face will be sore from constantly smiling.

We upgraded our accommodation to a plantation Bure, which I would highly recommend. The rooms are lovely, and every evening we had personal staff come and provide canapes and drinks to the room. The staff also made sure our son was catered for and they really made an extra effort to make him feel welcome. Staff would remember his name after one meeting, and always make sure they said hello to him during our stay.

We used the Mei-Mei service (Nanny's) on a few occassions - our son loved the quality time he had with Mei-Mei's and they really are the most beautiful babysitters. They took my son down to the beach and played games, collected hermit crabs and lots of other activities.

I highly recommend the day spa - we had the romantic couples treatment with milk bath. This was really beautiful at sunset, as we sat in the milkbath watching the sunset. I highly recommend an afternoon in the Kalokalo bar (located at the top of the mountain with the day spa), as well as the Ivi Restaurant (no children allowed, but Mei-Mei's will take children for dinner at the main restaurant). At the Ivi, make sure to try the Kakonda, which is prepared and served fresh at your table.

The pool is great, and I highly recommend spending half a day at the Kula Eco Park. It was so wonderful to watch the Fijian school children enjoy the zoo, and the staff are really lovely, too.

Only regrets - at arrival, we arranged for food vouchers for 5 days - breakfast, lunch and dinner. I wish we had of only paid for three, as I would have liked to try some of the restaurants in Sigatoka. Also, there is a lovely place we found within walking distance from the restaurant (unfortunately, we found it on our last night there) - great food and great price, and a happy hour that was much cheaper than the Outrigger!! I highly recommend the short walk along the beach to Le Cafe, it gives you a taste of the real Fiji (and the people are just as lovely!!), please ignore the scary sign at the end of the resort warning you not to go off the resort property, my goodness that's terrible propaganda!

Finally, make sure you spend at least one evening in the Vakavanua Bar. The live entertainment is great. But the highlight is the cheeky bar staff that really do bring the bar to life. We spent one wet afternoon in the bar watching a game of local rugby on TV with the bar staff, it was so great to share that experience, they were so passionate and excited. It was one of the highlights of my trip.

I highly recommend this resort, especially for families. Their attention to detail is exemplary, and they really did make our time there so special. We can't wait to go back again.

Room Tip: Definitely loved the Plantation Bure, next time we will budget to go for a Beach Bure.
2  Thank Ducati_Girl848
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 3, 2012

Dear Ducati_Girl848
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday at our beautiful resort. I was pleased to read that you took advantage of our wonderful meimei “nanny” service. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about??? Our nannies look after the children so that Mum and Dad can enjoy a relaxing treatment at our world class spa, dine in our fine dine restaurant or even just hang out by the pool so as to spend some much needed one on one time together.
The only problem you have is that the children usually fall in love with their nannies and it is difficult to get them back????
As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass your compliments onto the team in the Vakavanua Lounge.
Ducati_Girl848, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort, sometime in the not too distant future.
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji

Write a ReviewReviews (3,208)

Reviewed December 1, 2012

We have just arrived home from a week at the Outrigger and overall it was a good holiday. We stayed in a Plantation Bure. The overall feel of the place is pretty relaxed. It is about 60-75 minutes away from the airport, so pre-booking transport is useful.

The room was a good size and my two kids (1 & 2 yo) slept in the sofa bed, as having a cot in may have been a bit crowded. The bathroom area was pretty good, and the kids loved playing on the lawn and hammock/chair on the porch.

The kids were given a hospital style wrist band on check in (that you could write their names on) and this ensured that they ate for free at the main buffet and from the kids menus at the other two main restaurants. The MeiMei (nanny) service was very good - they had the kids amused and we received a written report of what they'd been up to each time. Overall the staff loved kids and made an effort to know the kids by name and were keen on making them the centre of attention.

The food (generally) was pretty good but the main three restaurants lacked much inspiration on the menu. I see that some other people had gastro issues, and I have to admit that our family also had the same - our youngest was not right from about half way through, and it finally declared itself as a gastro with a day and a half left of the holiday. My wife was crook on the way home as well - likely picked up whatever the boy had. Bear in mind that we'd also done the Sigatoka River Trip, so it could have been from the village, and my boy was running around and into everything (parents will understand what a walking 14 month boy is like).

The resort pool was good with several areas off the main section of pool to keep the kids safe and happy. The resort shops were enough to get by on, but the 'general store' lacked anything of substance for an early breakfast.

Ivi was a good night - dropped the kids with the Mei Mei service (first time ever looked after by strangers for a dinner). The ambience and service here was amazing. Really happy with the food. Wines were a bit expensive. For the two of us, it ended up about FJ$500, or about A$350 at the current exchange rate. The menu was good enough that you could do a few nights here without getting bored.

Kalokalo is a cool tapas/cocktails bar at the top of the hill above the spa (we did not get to the spa). Like Ivi, it is a kid free zone. Worth doing - different feel, but we enjoyed it, much cheaper than Ivi.

The gym is well appointed with new machines etc. We did not use the on site activities centre, but we did try to get out a bit. Will try to post a review of Kula Eco Park and Sigatoka River Trip. It is a taxi ride into town or to anywhere other than the resort - so ok if you like being secluded/trapped in a resort.

My main complaint was that I did not get out surfing. We'd selected this area of Fiji because it was close to Sigatoka Sand Dunes/River mouth which is one of the few beach breaks on Viti Levu, and due to the hotel which has ranked well on this site. The hotel's external activities desk was not much help in organising a surfing morning. Checked the internet whilst we were there and found Waidroka as a possibility that was relatively close by. They were quite helpful, but it is a 45-60min cab drive, at F$190, so it got costly for a paddle in unsurfable conditions. The cab driver (Johnny) suggested a local surf guide to the break nearby - Chong Sue (M) 8766327, who also had boards for hire. I was teed up to go for a surf with Chong, but had to look after my sick boy.

Overall, the place was good, the kids were well catered for and had fun. Minor annoyances prevented it from being a perfect holiday.

Room Tip: Pay for the cost of an upgrade to a bure. The inclusion of the butler service pays for it all, let a...
2  Thank GavinNicole

Dear GavinNicole
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! I have noted your comments in relation to several guests getting a tummy bug. I assure you that the food at the resort is of the highest quality and that we have stringent hygiene guidelines that are practiced by all of our staff. In fact we are so confident of the hygiene in our kitchens that every Tuesday, I personally take all of our guests for a back of house tour. It is more than likely that your son and your wife picked up some sort of viral bug.
I was delighted to read that you took advantage of our meimei nanny service and dined at our fine dine restaurant, Ivi. This is what a holiday at Outrigger is all about.
I sincerely apologise that you did get the opportunity to go surfing whilst you were staying at the resort. There are several world class breaks quite close to the resort, Hideaway Bay and Sigatoka River mouth.
GavinNicole, Once again we thank you for your feedback. Hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future.

Reviewed November 30, 2012

My husband and I spent 5 days in this hotel in later November. This is a very casual and friendly hotel targeted for families with young children.
Quite far from the airport so make sure you book private transportation instead of using the share buses if you are not prepared to spend more than one hour around children screaming because they are tired of the trip or bored.
High points: the staff, the spa, and the price of the meals (quite reasonable for this kind of hotel)
Low points: too far from the airport, not really a beach hotel (yes, that is correct, if you want to go for a swim in the ocean this is not your hotel).
I recommend this place for families with small children who are looking for spending some time around the pool.

Room Tip: For families with young children
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Makenote
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
We appreciate your feedback! Whilst we do get a large number of families staying at the resort 30% of our guests are couples. We listen to our guests and one of the main reasons we are building a new “Adults Only” swimming pool is due to feedback from guests such as yourself. Our new pool will be completed by late March, therefore we do hope that you will come back and stay with us again.
One other small tip – It is much better to get a private car transfer from the airport to the resort. Costs AUD$75 for a car and driver and takes just over one hour!

Reviewed November 29, 2012

We were married at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji on the 3rd November and couldn't be happier we chose here for our special day. Asmeen the Wedding Co-ordinator is absolutely amazing! She had a wedding on almost every day we were there yet she was always so happy and helpful and never made you feel like you were just another number to them. The ceremony in the chapel was gorgeous, the reception setting on the Terrace looked like a fairy-tale and the food was sensational. The whole team do an absolutely incredible job from set-up to pack-down, we couldn't have had a more perfect day.

A definate highlight was the Fijian Fireshow which we included in our wedding package and it was by far the best part of the night. It was a surprise for all our guests and we cannot recommend it highly enough.

We had 30 family and friends also stay at the resort for our wedding (and a family holiday) and they all raved about their stay and thanked us for getting married there.

The food throughout the resort is excellent however, the Sundowner was definately our favourite due to the location on the beachfront.

The service is also fantastic, the staff couldn't do enough for us and we especially loved our afternoon visits from "Toby" our Talai Butler bringing us champagne and canapes. We did a number of craft classes with the local village ladies who were so patient, kind and we loved learning all about the local village life.

We can't wait to return to celebrate our anniversary!

Room Tip: We were on the top floor of the main building it had amazing view the rooms down the beachfront may...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear BV3280
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at our beautiful resort. I was pleased to read that Asmeen and her team took such good care of you and your wedding guests. Over the last 3 years, we have gained a very strong reputation for the best weddings in Fiji.
As you found out and have also commented upon, the best thing about a holiday at Outrigger is the unbelievably warm and friendly staff that takes great pride in looking after our guests. I will most certainly pass your compliments onto Toby, your butler.
BV3280, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All of my team looks forward to the day when you return for your 1st wedding anniversary.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

A friend and I had to go to Sigatoka for a business meeting. We stayed at Outriggers for a night and it was a nice hotel like in America. It was amazing. One of the best breakfast buffets in Fiji.

A cool thing was when I checked in I was greeted by a friend's nephew that works there and he took all around the resort showing me everything on a golf cart.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Peter V
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 28, 2012

Dear PeterVandever
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds like you had a very short but enjoyable time with us!
We appreciate your feedback!
We look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.

Reviewed November 26, 2012

We have just returned from a week at the Outrigger. We had a nice time at the Outrigger but the holiday was probably not what we expected.

The good bits
- The rooms were very clean and well serviced, no compliants at all. Beds were comfortable.
- The Mei Mei nanny service was great. The ladies are fantastic and the service was really well priced. We travelled with two 1 year olds who both had a great time, big thanks to Marita and Abashane.

What we did not like
- This hotel is not 5 star, if you are looking for a true 5 star experience this is not the place for you.
- The food. The options and menus are extensive but the execution is not there, we had a sucession of disappointing meals.
- We upgraded to a sea view room and struggled to see the sea. This rooms are well back from the sea and the view is filtered by lots of trees. We had rooms 702 and 703.
- Wireless internet. We selected the week package at 55AUD but were not told that the wireless internet only works from some of the rooms, ours being a room it did not work from. Finally on day 3 an engineer came to sort it out but really frustrating.

Having said all of that we had a nice time but will not be returning to the Outrigger for our next Fijian holiday.

2  Thank Rjmoore1979
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Rjmoore1979
Greetings and a very big “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
We thank you for your review!
Obviously we are disappointed that there were aspects of your holiday that did not meet you expectations – for this we sincerely apologise.
I was somewhat surprised by your comments on our restaurants as we are widely regarded as having the best food and beverage outlets in all of Fiji. I will most certainly take our IT team to task over the issues with your internet.
Rjmoore1979, Once again we thank you for your comments - hopefully we will see you back at our beautiful resort at some time in the not too distant future?

Reviewed November 26, 2012 via mobile

We chose the outrigger for their nanny service as this was to be our first holiday with our daughter. The mei mei (nanny) we had was amazing! Our daughter Lily absolutely loved her. All the staff were so friendly and treated our daughter and us so well. The pool and restaurants were great with the one on the beach especially being great. The beach and snorkeling weren't great compared to Aussie standards but it was a great relaxing holiday

• Stayed: December 2011
1  Thank Ben V
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear Ben V
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji. It sounds like you and the family had a great holiday. Thank you for your wonderful comments in relation to our meimei nannies. As you have described, the children just love their nannies – This is most probably the best service that I have introduced into the resort. We started with 6 nannies in 2010 and we now have 35 full time nannies!
As you have found out our biggest asset at the resort is our warm and friendly staff. This is what separates Outrigger from the rest of the resorts, not just in Fiji, but all of the South Pacific.
Ben V, Once again we thank you for warm and friendly comments.
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
16 mi away
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!