“Paradise in Fiji”

Ranked #3 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Broadbeach, Australia
“Paradise in Fiji”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Just spent a week at the Outrigger Resort for a wedding and it was the most beautiful time we have had. The hotel is fantastic and our room looked over to the ocean and it was so peaceful. The staff were fantastic and always there to help. If anyone is planning a wedding in Fiji this is the place. We don't have any children but this resort caters for them fantastically. Could not find a thing wrong with this resort and would recommend to all. Jason Zvatora you are an asset to this Resort and your employer should be very proud to have you as a member of its staff.

Lynne and Jeremy

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Dear Lynne C
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent holiday where you also attended a wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji. We are delighted that you had such an enjoyable holiday and that the wedding was a wonderful occasion.
As you have highlighted the best thing about a wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji is our staff. The Fijians are made for hospitality with their warm and friendly personalities! We truly believe we have the best staff of any resort in Fiji – They love coming to work and engaging with our guests.
I concur with your comments on our Resort Manager, Jason Zvatora – he is a very talented young man who has truly embraced the culture of Fiji which he duly shares with the guests staying at the resort. We are very proud of Jason!
Lynne C, Once again we thank you for warm and friendly comments. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (944)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Very nice hotel, magnificient place.
After spending 1 week in the yasawas, nice to find the confort...
Nice for family or weddings but not as good to share the fijian culture. Not my type of holidays as i'm not a fan of resort.
Food and drink are Australian standard but not exceptional.
Bedding for my son was disapointing in the sofa with not a good quality.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Maiaustralie
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear Maiaustralie
Thank you for taking the time to provide positive comment on your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji. We are delighted that we could provide you and your son with such a memorable holiday experience!
Maiaustralie, once again we thank you for your comments! All of my team looks forward to the day when next you return to our beautiful resort.
Reviewed September 29, 2012 via mobile

We were so excited for our second trip to Fiji after staying at The Hilton on Denaru the first time we came decided to try the other side of the island and after reading the reviews on here could hardly contain our excitement!

We were on our way which we were to was 45 minutes from Nadi airport.. Almost two hours later we arrived... Staff were ok on arrival however not normal Fiji style which we had grown accustomed to. We waited almost an hour to be taken to our room - considering it was 7pm I thought it would have been ready!!!!

The room was ok- wouldn't think 5 star maybe 3? Definatly not clean. So we decided to try and find somewhere to eat... As it is such a large resort we asked reception where to go- they pointed and we ended up getting very lost- ate dinner which was nice and headed back to our room for an early night.

Woke up early and went to the tour desk to find something to do for the day- we were horrified to be told to do anything your needed to catch a taxi or bus back to Denaru (almost 2 hours) as there was no direct boat access here- we are a very active young couple and this was a massive shock to us- so we caught a taxi back to Denaru and decided to cut our trip short and booked in the following day back at Denaru.

When we got back to the resort we were happy to cut our trip short and return to Denaru the following day. 2 hours after explaining this to several staff we finally got organized and decided to enjoy our last night here-

We decided to go to the seafood buffet for dinner - BIG MISTAKE. We had a great night - show was great- good thought food was great- at 1am my partner woke up with severe food posioning. I honestly have never seen anyone so sick- after 2 hours of continuous vomiting, I went to reception to ask for a doctor. The staff member was sitting on the couch and looked at me in disgust like I was ruining her night. I explained that my partner was sick she said there was no doctor and nothing we could do until 9am the following morning when the doctor arrived. I went back three times to try and sort something out however was told the only thing we could do was call an ambulance.

I asked for something to clean the bathroom as after 5 hours of severe food poisioning it was awful- no offer to help (remembering this is 5 star) I was given some detol and sent on my way.

At 9 am the doctor arrived but wouldn't come to our room- my dehydrated, vomiting and tired boyfriend was put in the back of a golf buggy and taken over a bumpy track to the Sergery where we waited 20 minutes for the doctor to arrive (she was obviousally on Fiji time)

We were disgusted by her- we live on the gold coast where the humidity is very similar to Fiji- we were told he had sun stroke from the humidity. We explained we had hardly been in the sun and he works physically in similar climate at home - she wouldn't listen and made out like we were stupid and liars explaining there was no way it could have been food posioning- funny considering she works for the resort!

We then had to stay another night as my partner was in no state to move- I examines to reception who offered NOTHING to make the stay any better. Not even "I hope he is ok"

I am shocked with the service of the hotel and the staff. If you are used to any service better than 3 star this is NOT FOR YOU!

Please think again before choosing the outrigger it ruined our trip!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012
9 Thank MissBos
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Dear MissBos
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
Obviously we are disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us and for this we sincerely apologise. I have noted the comments in your review and wish to qualify several of your statements! The time to get to Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji from Nadi International airport is One hour 10 minutes. I have checked your arrival details and timing and your room was ready for you upon arrival. Outrigger is rated as one of Fiji’s finest 5 star hotels and as you will note from other respondents to Trip Advisor that this is indeed the case.
The Coral Coast is the adventure capital of Fiji! Sigatoka River Safari, Nehei Cannibal Cave Tour, White Water Rafting, Jet Ski Safaris, Robinson Crusoe Island Tour, Kula Eco Park and the Sigatoka Archeological Sandunes are all within 20 minutes drive of the resort. We also have some of the best surfing and scuba diving right on our doorstep.
We have an independent Doctor that looks after our guests at the resort – She does not work for the resort. The reason we utilize her services is that she is the best in our local region – If she diagnosed heat stroke then I would most likely say your boyfriend had heat stroke. We pride ourselves on the quality of food that we offer to our guests at the resort. In fact we are renowned as having the best restaurants of any resort in Fiji. It is highly unlikely that your boyfriend contracted food poisoning at the resort. Once a week, I actually take our guests for a back of house guided tour through our kitchens. This is how confident I am of the quality of our food and the preparation of this food at the resort. I was somewhat surprised by your comments you have made regarding the service that you received from my staff. I assure you that I will personally follow up with my team and appropriate action will be taken with any of my staff that have not delivered the quality service that we are famous for.
MissBos, as stated at the beginning of this response, I sincerely apologise that you did not enjoy your time with us at our beautiful resort. My team at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji are all about delivering quality holiday experiences – It appears that in your case we failed on this mission – Once again apologies!
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji
Gosford
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I and our three children have just returned from our magnifient ten night stay at the Outrigger on The Lagoon. From the moment we arrived and were welcomed with our drink while checking in which took no time at all we knew we had chosen the right place. After spending our first day around the pool we met some wonderful staff at the General Managers Cocktail drinks at the beautiful Bebe Spa overlooking the Resort and the Lagoon. The food at each restaurant was great. I loved having lunch at the Sundowner and the night we had dinner at the Ivi was second to none. The attention by the staff was excellent without being intrusive and we knew the kids were in safe hands with our Meimei Nanny Raluve who even rang our room to say goodbye to the children on the morning we were checking out. With the daily activities sheet I like the way you can do as much as you want in the resort or like me just happy to relax by the pool being served cocktails by the excellent and friendly staff who go out of there way to make your stay a happy one. We would like to make special mention of the following staff who made our stay that five star experience, Navi, our Talai Butler who made our afternoon drinks funny when he came to visit us, Kelevi, Head Sous Chef and Sala Vatureba in the Vale Ni Kana who we feel like we have made new friends. In the Sundowner we were given excellent service by Emosi, Tamarisi and Sain and Susana and Dean in the Baravi. Could rave on for ever but needless to say we will be back again next year and bringing our friends with us. Vinanka Outrigger Staff

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Sandy N
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Sandy N
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon.Fiji!
What an outstanding review!
This is why I love being the General Manager of this beautiful resort – We deliver exceptional holiday experiences! As you have clearly stated, the main reason that we can do this is because of our unbelievable staff. In 30 years in hospitality I have never come upon a team that genuinely care for their guests and seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. It definitely makes my job a lot easier!
Be rest assured that all staff mentioned in your commentary will be acknowledged.
Sandy N, Once again we thank you for your review! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort and yes, please bring all of your friends?
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having worked, travelled and lived in hotels for the last 26 years I tend to be very critical of most places we choose, on this occasion I was unable to find any fault! We stayed in a plantation bure which from the moment we walked in felt like home. Our bure was clean, spacious and fresh. We travelled on this occasion with no children and even though the pool did have a lot of children in it, the area is large enough to find an area away from them. The pool service was amazing, special thanks to Luke, Apo and Sireli. The Ivy restaurant was truly incredible and by far the best dinner we have enjoyed in a while. We were lucky enough to join other guests from the hotel for a rugby match in Sigatoka. If you have the opportunity to go along to one of the matches, it is a must with fantastic service continuing in the tent whilst enjoying a quality match! Other than the facilities, activities, fantastic staff and service it was refreshing to see the General Manager around the resort with a warm bula! We can't wait to return next year with our kids.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Dear DebRS72
Greetings from the isle of smiles! We thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! I really appreciated your comments in regards to the team around the pool. I will most certainly share your comments with Luke, Apo and Sireli. How good is the Ivi Restaurant – As you have described, it is a magnificent dining experience!
Thank you for your comments about the rugby! I seriously believe that this is a must-do Fijian experience – Unfortunately we lost to Suva on the weekend 20 -17.
DebRS72, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort!
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My Husband and I got married at the Outrigger on 22nd July, we had a group of 38 Adults and 12 Kids.. After organising my wedding through Maureen most of the year and I was a little worried that when she resigned a lot of things wouldn't be right! Asmeen and her team were amazing and made sure my day ran smoothly, our day was magical from start to finish. The chapel was absolutely stunning and everyone of my guest haven't stopped talking about it since we returned!
The reception area was beautiful, as I didn't get to see it until after we were married I was worried but when we walked in I nearly cried at the amazing job the hotel had done for us! The staff for the wedding reception were so lovely and made sure my husband and I were always looked after first and never ran dry of a drink... I would suggest that you go for the Buffett dinner as my guest were amazed at how succulent the food was, not one complaint!!!
I need to say a BIG Thank you to Ranji (DJ), thank you for all your hard work in finding our 1st dance song and for accepting my father daughter dance song, you made all my worries disappear knowing that you had it under control. THANK YOU

The staff of the hotel were amazing, kind, friendly, helpful, always smiling. It made your day just to see them work so hard but enjoy the company of Australians. Having so many children apart of our wedding group, it was such a family orientated hotel that we never had to worry about the kids going hungry or thirsty!

So overall we wouldn't change a thing for our wedding day or our honeymoon... It was AMAZING and thank you so much to the outrigger for making it amazing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miacallan
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Miacallan
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at our beautiful resort. It sounds as though you had a wonderful occasion. I was delighted to read that Asmeen and her team took such good care of you. We are blessed with a wonderful banquets team at the resort – They do such a great job in looking after our wedding guests.
In closing, I am just so happy that my team could provide you with your “Dream Wedding”.
miacallan, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All the team at the resort looks forward to the day when you next return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I returned from our Fijian wedding holiday and have nothing but positive remarks to make about the Outrigger.

Asmeen, our wedding coordinator, did an amazing job at making sure our special day ran perfectly and organized the whole day exactly how we dreamed of. The staff set up the ceremony and reception beautifully and it definitely met all our expectations! The catering staff were lovely, towards the end they even helped get everyone out of their chairs to get up and dance which set the mood so much higher.

After the ceremony we decided to put on drinks and canapes for our guests while we went and finished off the rest of the photos (Allan our photographer was great! He was so friendly and professional, we all loved Allan!) We highly recommend getting the canapes as our guests raved about how delicious they were.

We had 40+ guests stay at the Outrigger and it was by far the best choice to make in regards to having a large group of family and friends staying in the one area. It is is nicely spread out - and it was good to have a selection of different restaurants to eat at each day within the resort. I know all the boys loved that there was a bar open until late, if we lost them at night that's usually where we'd find them. The pool was lovely and the rooms were as well! We all speak very highly of the Outrigger and loved how it was like a little village all in one, it even has shopping stores!

I could go on and on for pages saying how perfect everything was thanks to the staff at the Outrigger. You all do such an amazing job and we want to thank you for making memories that will last forever!

Stefanie and Kurt.

Room Tip: Ocean deluxe rooms have a beautiful view of the beach!