“Sandy & Michael Norquay”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Gosford
“Sandy & Michael Norquay”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My husband and I and our three children have just returned from our magnifient ten night stay at the Outrigger on The Lagoon. From the moment we arrived and were welcomed with our drink while checking in which took no time at all we knew we had chosen the right place. After spending our first day around the pool we met some wonderful staff at the General Managers Cocktail drinks at the beautiful Bebe Spa overlooking the Resort and the Lagoon. The food at each restaurant was great. I loved having lunch at the Sundowner and the night we had dinner at the Ivi was second to none. The attention by the staff was excellent without being intrusive and we knew the kids were in safe hands with our Meimei Nanny Raluve who even rang our room to say goodbye to the children on the morning we were checking out. With the daily activities sheet I like the way you can do as much as you want in the resort or like me just happy to relax by the pool being served cocktails by the excellent and friendly staff who go out of there way to make your stay a happy one. We would like to make special mention of the following staff who made our stay that five star experience, Navi, our Talai Butler who made our afternoon drinks funny when he came to visit us, Kelevi, Head Sous Chef and Sala Vatureba in the Vale Ni Kana who we feel like we have made new friends. In the Sundowner we were given excellent service by Emosi, Tamarisi and Sain and Susana and Dean in the Baravi. Could rave on for ever but needless to say we will be back again next year and bringing our friends with us. Vinanka Outrigger Staff

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
8 Thank Sandy N
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 28, 2012
Dear Sandy N
Greetings from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon.Fiji!
What an outstanding review!
This is why I love being the General Manager of this beautiful resort – We deliver exceptional holiday experiences! As you have clearly stated, the main reason that we can do this is because of our unbelievable staff. In 30 years in hospitality I have never come upon a team that genuinely care for their guests and seriously love coming to work and engaging with our guests. It definitely makes my job a lot easier!
Be rest assured that all staff mentioned in your commentary will be acknowledged.
Sandy N, Once again we thank you for your review! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort and yes, please bring all of your friends?
Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (952)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed September 27, 2012

Having worked, travelled and lived in hotels for the last 26 years I tend to be very critical of most places we choose, on this occasion I was unable to find any fault! We stayed in a plantation bure which from the moment we walked in felt like home. Our bure was clean, spacious and fresh. We travelled on this occasion with no children and even though the pool did have a lot of children in it, the area is large enough to find an area away from them. The pool service was amazing, special thanks to Luke, Apo and Sireli. The Ivy restaurant was truly incredible and by far the best dinner we have enjoyed in a while. We were lucky enough to join other guests from the hotel for a rugby match in Sigatoka. If you have the opportunity to go along to one of the matches, it is a must with fantastic service continuing in the tent whilst enjoying a quality match! Other than the facilities, activities, fantastic staff and service it was refreshing to see the General Manager around the resort with a warm bula! We can't wait to return next year with our kids.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 30, 2012
Dear DebRS72
Greetings from the isle of smiles! We thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji.
We are delighted that you enjoyed your time with us! I really appreciated your comments in regards to the team around the pool. I will most certainly share your comments with Luke, Apo and Sireli. How good is the Ivi Restaurant – As you have described, it is a magnificent dining experience!
Thank you for your comments about the rugby! I seriously believe that this is a must-do Fijian experience – Unfortunately we lost to Suva on the weekend 20 -17.
DebRS72, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you and the family return to our beautiful resort!
Reviewed September 27, 2012

My Husband and I got married at the Outrigger on 22nd July, we had a group of 38 Adults and 12 Kids.. After organising my wedding through Maureen most of the year and I was a little worried that when she resigned a lot of things wouldn't be right! Asmeen and her team were amazing and made sure my day ran smoothly, our day was magical from start to finish. The chapel was absolutely stunning and everyone of my guest haven't stopped talking about it since we returned!
The reception area was beautiful, as I didn't get to see it until after we were married I was worried but when we walked in I nearly cried at the amazing job the hotel had done for us! The staff for the wedding reception were so lovely and made sure my husband and I were always looked after first and never ran dry of a drink... I would suggest that you go for the Buffett dinner as my guest were amazed at how succulent the food was, not one complaint!!!
I need to say a BIG Thank you to Ranji (DJ), thank you for all your hard work in finding our 1st dance song and for accepting my father daughter dance song, you made all my worries disappear knowing that you had it under control. THANK YOU

The staff of the hotel were amazing, kind, friendly, helpful, always smiling. It made your day just to see them work so hard but enjoy the company of Australians. Having so many children apart of our wedding group, it was such a family orientated hotel that we never had to worry about the kids going hungry or thirsty!

So overall we wouldn't change a thing for our wedding day or our honeymoon... It was AMAZING and thank you so much to the outrigger for making it amazing!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Miacallan
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Miacallan
A huge “Bula” from the team at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at our beautiful resort. It sounds as though you had a wonderful occasion. I was delighted to read that Asmeen and her team took such good care of you. We are blessed with a wonderful banquets team at the resort – They do such a great job in looking after our wedding guests.
In closing, I am just so happy that my team could provide you with your “Dream Wedding”.
miacallan, once again we thank you for your positive comments. All the team at the resort looks forward to the day when you next return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji!
Gold Coast, Queensland, Australia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

My husband and I returned from our Fijian wedding holiday and have nothing but positive remarks to make about the Outrigger.

Asmeen, our wedding coordinator, did an amazing job at making sure our special day ran perfectly and organized the whole day exactly how we dreamed of. The staff set up the ceremony and reception beautifully and it definitely met all our expectations! The catering staff were lovely, towards the end they even helped get everyone out of their chairs to get up and dance which set the mood so much higher.

After the ceremony we decided to put on drinks and canapes for our guests while we went and finished off the rest of the photos (Allan our photographer was great! He was so friendly and professional, we all loved Allan!) We highly recommend getting the canapes as our guests raved about how delicious they were.

We had 40+ guests stay at the Outrigger and it was by far the best choice to make in regards to having a large group of family and friends staying in the one area. It is is nicely spread out - and it was good to have a selection of different restaurants to eat at each day within the resort. I know all the boys loved that there was a bar open until late, if we lost them at night that's usually where we'd find them. The pool was lovely and the rooms were as well! We all speak very highly of the Outrigger and loved how it was like a little village all in one, it even has shopping stores!

I could go on and on for pages saying how perfect everything was thanks to the staff at the Outrigger. You all do such an amazing job and we want to thank you for making memories that will last forever!

Stefanie and Kurt.

Room Tip: Ocean deluxe rooms have a beautiful view of the beach!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Steff J
Dear Steff J
Bula and sunny greetings from Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
It sounds like you and your husband had an amazing wedding Thank you for your wonderful feedback on our banquets team, in particular your wedding planner, Asmeen and also Allan, your photographer.
It sounds like your wedding party also had a wonderful holiday experience at the resort
As you have quite rightly highlighted we are truly blessed with a magnificent resort.
Steff J, once again we thank you for your warm and generous comments – we look forward to the day when you return to Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji.
Melbourne
Reviewed September 26, 2012

Finally I get to write my comments on Trip Advisor after waiting over a year once I had made our booking. Where do I start??? From the first Bula at the front gate to our last day at the resort our stay was fantastic. A short version of what we did, horse riding on the beach, kayaking, snorkelling, swimming, water aerobics, treasure hunt, Bebe Spa, High Tea, Coconut throwing, behind the house tour, waterfall tour, Sigatoka River Safari, trip into town, crab & frog racing, Eco Park visit, eating, eating and more eating. The food was sensational in each of the various restaurants. Dined at the Ivy which was fantastic.Our kids had a great time in their one session of kids club and their session with the nanny. The staff are wonderful people and we cannot wait to visit again. A visit to the Babe Spa is a must!!

I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending the Outrigger to anyone.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Naomi R
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, September 26, 2012
Dear Naomi R
Sunny greetings from the Coral Coast!
Thank you for taking the time to write a review of your recent holiday at Outrigger on the Lagoon . Fiji. I am absolutely thrilled that we could provide you and your family with the “Best Holiday Ever”. I must admit I was exhausted after reading all about the activities that you and the family undertook.
Thank you for your high praise of our food and beverage outlets – We also think they are wonderful and it is easy to see why our restaurants are rated as the best in Fiji..
We also appreciate your wonderful comments on our staff. As you found out they love engaging with our guests.
Finally great to see that you had time to visit the Bebe Spa – As you have stated this is a “must do” activity at the resort – You will most definitely will not be disappointed!
Naomi R, Once again we thank you for your review. All of my team looks forward to welcoming you back to our beautiful resort, at some time in the not too distant future.
Reviewed September 25, 2012

We were married at the Outrigger on the Lagoon, and 29 of our closest family and friends made the trip over to join us.
The wedding facilities are excellent, and the staff bend over backwards to make sure everything is perfect for the wedding. Asmeen and Jack (and all other wedding staff) did such a great job to make our day magical.
The room (garden bure) was stunning, with a very comfortable bed, and verandah with a seat and a hammock. The butlers were lovely, turning down our bed each day and leaving champagne and canapes. They also decorated our bed with flowers and a lovely card on the day of our wedding which was a nice touch.
Food at the Outrigger was always great, I loved the pizzas at the Sundowner. The Ivy restaurant was exceptional in every way. Our wedding reception (cocktail and canape style) had great cocktails and a huge selection of yummy canapes.
The Bebe spa experience was wonderful, so relaxing I could have stayed up there forever. The wedding chapel is just gorgeous with views second to none.
We would not go back to stay there unless we had children - we don't, and we just found there was WAY too many kids for our liking - but anyone with a family would find it a great place. the pool area was always crowded with parents taking up lots of deck chairs with an abundance of kids stuff like towels, toys etc - despite there never anyone actually on the chairs. There is a sign stating this is not allowed but no-one pays any attention.
We had some issues checking in - we had gotten a quote from a travel agent, and unbeknowns to us she had placed a hold on the rooms (which were cancelled), we then booked through expedia. When we went to check in, the staff told us there was no booking for us and no rooms, as the booking had been cancelled. After waiting in the lobby for over an hour, the expedia booking was found. We were given 2 free dinners to make up for this - however we felt that this would not have been needed had the particular staff member handled the situation differently.
Our other issue was with our "welcome bags" for all our wedding guests - we made up bags filled with Fijian goodies and our wedding bomboneirre, which were to be deilvered to all of our guests rooms. Unfortunately, the grooms parents bag went missing. Despite trying to follow this up at reception twice, no one got back to us with any response.
Overall we liked the Outrigger, but not enough to go back - we prefer smaller more intimate resorts for our holidays. BUT if you want a great wedding, you can't go wrong. They sure know how to host a fabulous wedding.
If you want a real Fijian experience, the Outrigger is not for you - if you want a resort style holiday with the kids, it is probably perfect.

Room Tip: Garden Bure was nice and QUIET - other parts of the resort can be noisy.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Hachaz
Thank you for taking the time to provide comment on your recent wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji. Thank you for your positive comments on our wedding facilities. We will most certainly pass on your comments to Asmeen and Jack! As you have highlighted the best thing about a wedding at Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji is our staff. The Fijians are made for hospitality with their warm and friendly personalities! We truly believe we have the best staff of any resort in Fiji – They love coming to work and engaging with our guests. I apologise for the mix-up with the wedding bags. Our management team are currently looking into this issue? I have noted your comments about the number of children at the resort! Whilst the resort is primarily for families we do have a number of ‘Adult Only” areas. These include the fine dine restaurant, Ivi and also our bar in the sky, kalokalo. We are currently building a new “Adults Only” swimming pool which will have a lap pool, lagoon pool and a swim-up bar.
Hachaz, Once again we thank you for warm and friendly comments. We all look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort.
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I have recently returned from our wedding at Outrigger and would have to say the day was so much more than I imagined it would be!
Asmeen our wedding coordinaor done an amazing job arranging everything from start to finish, no job was too big or small and it was always done with a friendly smile :)
Jack was also a big help whenever we saw him, always asking if there was anything he could do for us.
Allan the photographer did a fantastic job taking us to quiet a few locations ensuring he captued all the best spots on the resort and the finished album is stunning!
A big thank you to the ladies in the salon for the great job with all our hair and make up.
Our reception in the terrace was set up beautifully. Staff went out of the way to use table decorations, lanterns ect in our colour theme which we did not ask for, it was done on their own accord which was much appreciated.
The warrior show we booked for our reception was also amazing, all our guests were suprised and they were very interactive after the show posing for photos and dancing with us.

the resort experience over all was fantastic! all of our family & friends who made it over for the wedding were so suprised when they arrived at the resport to see how friendly staff were, how well presented the resort is and how no task is too big when we asked for help or service.
I have to mention our friend Luke who looked after us poolside everyday.. his service was amazing and even took the time to tell us about some great local spots and the local rugby game!

we cannot wait to get back to Outrigger, hopfully for our wedding anniversary!

Thank you to all of the staff, our experience was truely amazing and our wedding day will never be forgotten :)

Bianca

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
OutriggerFiji, General Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Dear Bianca j
Greetings from the isle of smiles!
Your wedding sounds amazing! We really appreciate the time you have taken to provide positive comment on your wedding and honeymoon at our beautiful resort.
Thank you for your wonderful comments about our wedding planner, Asmeen, Banquets Manager, Jack and photographer, Allan. They are an outstanding team who make wedding days such memorable occasions. I will also pass on your gratitude to the ladies in the hair salon.
We are delighted that your friends and family enjoyed their time at the resort. As you have quite rightly highlighted it is our staff that make the difference.
Bianca j, once again we sincerely thank you for your comments! We look forward to the day when you return to our beautiful resort, hopefully for your wedding anniversary?
Outrigger on the Lagoon•Fiji
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Naviti Resort
Naviti Resort
#1 of 3 in Korolevu

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!