“Wedding and Family Holiday!”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I meant to write up this review once I got back from our honeymoon.... but late is better then never?

Me and my husband decided to go to Fiji and get married and after lots of research we decided to get married at the Outrigger.

Moreen did such a wonderful job of organising our wedding, she made everything very easy! I wanted the wedding on the beach until I saw the beach and the hilltop chapel, the beach isn't a really nice beach and the chapel is just lovely! The chapel fit the 63 guests OK and the extra cost flower arch made the room look fantastic! All guests are transported to the chapel by golf cart so allow enough time between the end of the ceremony, the drinks after the ceremony and then the hour it takes to transport 63 guest's to the reception. Our wedding started at 4pm, the drinks and canapes came out at 5pm and the reception was set to start at 6pm, all guests were not seated in the reception until close to 7pm due to the transport time from the chapel and a very beautiful sunset that side tracked a few guests. The only problem with the overall wedding was there just wasn't enough time, the whole reception was rushed as the event needs to finish by 10pm. At 10pm the music goes off and everyone needs to leave. Since the reception started an hour late there was only 3hrs left for speeches, cake cutting, first dance - there was about 15mins of free dancing before the music stopped at 10pm. If I was to do this again I would start the wedding at 3pm, canapes at 4pm, start transporting guest's at 5pm, start reception at 6pm.

All of the wedding trimmings were beautiful, the flowers, buttonholes, cake. The reception guest placeholders, special cake cutting knife, guest book, and other stuff I brought from home for the tables were placed out by the staff. The bridesmaid and I had our hair and makeup done at the resort and it was really gr8! I don't think I have had makeup ever done so nicely, they really listened to what I wanted with the hair and makeup.

A Fijian band played as I walked down the chapel isle and they were great! I brought my minister to Fiji to perform the service and the resort accommodated this by organising an official celebrant to certify the marriage.

I had an unexpected guest (almost impossible in Fiji but it happened) and Moreen dealt with it with no issues and squeezed her onto an adult table, though I did suggest the kids table.... ;-)

The food was quite nice, all guests enjoyed it. We got 4 different canapes after the ceremony then just the basic dream wedding package food buffet.

We staying a total of 8nights at the Outrigger - 4 nights was included in the wedding package but the other 4 were not and I bought the basic cheap room for 4 of the nights. Just before the wedding I realised that I would be needing to change rooms on the morning of the wedding so I asked to upgrade my room for the night before. The response I received was that my room had already been upgraded for the entire stay.
About 50 guests stayed at the outrigger and they loved it! The kids activities, the pool, and everyone enjoyed breakfast. There were pretty much no complaints other then one guest had a bad run with his room - he paid for ocean view but did not get any view at all. There were a few extra charges on my bill and a few other guests at the end but these were resolved.

I am sure I have missed details out but I cannot put into words how perfect my special day was and how much all of the guest's enjoyed the wedding and the holiday.

Thank you Moreen and other fantastic Outrigger staff for making this special time run so well!!

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank krisaddress
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2012

Dear Krisaddress,

Congratulations on your recent wedding. We are so glad that your special day was “perfect” and that you and your guests enjoyed your wedding. You made special mention of Moreen!

Please rest assured that this feedback had been provided directly to her as well as her recently being recognized as the Manager of the Month. I have also passed your feedback onto our resident Hair and Beauty team who were delighted to receive your feedback. With regards to your feedback regarding the transfers, I will further investigate the time in which it took to transfer your guests up and down from the chapel, as it does seem a little excessive. However, a very good tip to start earlier as for the comfort of all resort guests, we do strictly enforce a 10pm cutoff for amplified music. For those who are still in the mood to party and dance, the Vakavanua Lounge is open until 1am to continue the celebrations and dance the night away.

Krisaddress, once again we thank you for your kind comments and we are delighted that your wedding was all you hoped for.

Vinaka and Warm Coral Coast Regards

Reviewed March 26, 2012

My husband and I stayed with our two little boys in an ajoining two bedroom suite. Loved the butler service, they came with champaign and canepes everyday at 5pm and also again at 8pm for a 'nightcap' which consisted of two shots and a desert. This was free. Also liked the nanny service, they were great. Not so impressed with the verrryyy slooowww food service at the resturants, hard with two whinging kids. Took 2hrs to serve food during lunch time once. My husband had to leave to pick up the kids......there goes our quiet lunch together.
Also - We all got food poisoning of some sort, husband threw up one night, rest of us had severe sore stomach and diorrhea as well. The man in the room above us was screaming one night and throwing up at 3am for hours we could hear it! Not good!!! On the last night we finally were told by the resturant on the pool that they can deliver our dinner seeing as the kids were screaming. So if you want it delivered to your room, do so!!!
Kids loved the pool and beach. Rooms very clean.

Room Tip: don't get a room next to butlers or maides room, they will be there in the middle of the night y...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Rissa41585

Dear Rissa41585,

Thank you for taking the time to provide the feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I appologise that there were a couple of areas that did not meet your expectations. Please rest assured that your feedback has been taken as a platform to improve our guest services. Our Food and Beverage Manager is conducting re-fresher training on the lunch time food service and particularly to ensure that the kids are served quickly to enable the parents to enjoy their meals. Furthermore, I am very proud to note that our resort upholds the strictest standards with regards to food hygiene. Whilst I cannot definitely say that your sickness was or was not food poisoning, I can assure travelers that our food hygiene and kitchens are world class. For other travelers, I would be careful about eating and drinking meals outside the major resorts and if outside the major resorts, I would also highly recommend bottled water. We treat and re-treat our water and can also confirm that it meets the standards as outlined by the World Health Organisation, however, the same cannot be said outside the major resorts. Rissa41585, I am glad that your children loved the beach and pool as well as our Mei Mei (Nanny) service. It is also great that you enjoyed our signature Talai (Butler) service. They really do go out of their way to provide the extra little touches. I truly hope despite the areas of feedback mentioned above that you enjoyed your time with us and I would be more than happy to discuss your experience in greater detail should you wish (rm@outriggerfiji.com.fj).

Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji

Reviewed March 25, 2012

We booked a 7 night package to stay at the Outrigger which in hindsight was poor advice from our travel agent as one of these nights was used to gain immediate access on check in to our room which was a waste for the sake of 3 hours. The resort was immaculate and the holiday itself was wonderful from start to finish. Our regular staff contacts were always pleasant and engaging and offered us the opportunity to relax and enjoy the resort, with one even taking part of our group on a 'local perspective' tour to Suva.
The resort is spread across a wide area so consider if you have difficulty walking or breathing to ask for the porter service or a room closer to the pool or restaurants especially with the heat and humidity. There did seem to be as many children as adults during our stay so if you want a quiet adult holiday maybe consider some alternative accomodation, however the staff in the dining facilities were understanding and gave us the opportunity to have breakfast in the IVI which was adults only and much more pleasant, than the main dining area with at times uncontrolled screaming children.
We have recommended the addition of an adults only pool and an adult dinner time on our feedback to the hotel management which would allow options for all staying at the resort. There were a number of activities on offer but considering the isolated location of the Outrigger more could be arranged to entertain guests and adherence to adult only areas and times by staff would be a positive, particularly in bar areas after 9pm. If you are considering a wedding, the resort had at least 1 per day during our stay and the brides I spoke to gave excellent feedback on their experience.
The food was on the whole great especially at the Sundowner where the staff were fun and friendly.
If you like a spa treatment, you will reach Nirvana at the Bebe Spa along with a cocktail or High Tea to follow. The view from the Bebe Spa section of the resort is spectacular!

Room Tip: if you are planning on solely staying in the reort request a room near the pool as were located in t...
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MartiB888

Bula MartiB888,

From the isle of smiles, Vinaka for your kind comments! We are delighted that you found your “oasis” here with us at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji. I am also glad that you managed to interact with our friendly team and experience their beautiful Fijian spirit. We note your comments with regards to additional Adults only options and we are currently assessing and reviewing a number of exciting projects. We hope to be able to share our plans with you all in the near future. Thank you for sharing your tips with regards to the layout of the resort. We are very lucky to have the resort set out over 40 acres which provides a beautiful feel and ambience. However, for those that are a little less mobile, in addition to requesting a central room, we also have a resort buggy service which can assist with your transfers around the resort.

Lastly, your summary of Bebe Spa is spot on. The Bebe Spa Sanctuary is a sensational place to relax and enjoy the beautiful surrounds. If not for a spa treatment (which I very highly recommend that you indulge in one), make sure you visit our KaloKalo bar which sits atop Bebe Spa for high tea or sunset cocktails and tapas.

Thank you again for your kind comments and we hope to see you back in the near future.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

We only stayed one night at Outrigger as we were just passing through. However we were very pleasantly surprised by the high standard of staff, friendliness and really good room presentation. It was very much better than a few years ago which I suspect is a result of current management. Fiji is known for friendliness but add to this highly professional service and Outrigger is a winner.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Julieh4662
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2012

Dear Julieh4662,
We are delighted that you enjoyed your Fijian Holiday with us at Outrigger on the Lagoon Fiji! As you intimated, our team has been working hard over the past couple of years to develop the standard of the resort and I am glad that this has not gone un-noticed. We are also committed to further development of our resort so you will have to come back again to see the exciting projects we have planned.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

This is going to be a comprehensive review and each aspect will be explained in detail as to why I think the Outrigger as a whole is a very good resort, but it’s not excellent.

This is my second visit to the Outrigger within a year, staying for a total of 18 days (10 as a couple last year, 8 days as parents of a child under 1) so I believe I have the experience to judge accordingly. Also, I have read over 500 reviews on Tripadvisor dating back several years because I think it’s always good to know what others have said about their own experiences, both good and bad. Plus, I spoke to a lot of guests whilst at the resort on their opinions about the resort. On this most recent visit I purposely took off the rose coloured glasses and tried to see the whole resort as objectively as possible. Ultimately I’m just stating my own personal experiences, but I’m hoping that you will be able to see the different angles to make your own judgement. So here goes…

For potential travellers wanting a white sandy beach with surf, to party all night long or want a high level of refinement and exclusivity, then stop reading now and look elsewhere. The Outrigger resort will not be the place for you.

Before I start however, I just want to state that I searched high and low for a definition of “5 Star”. The Outrigger’s catch phrase is ‘Traditional Fijian meets 5 star luxury’. Ok, let’s put that to the test. Traditional Fijian? 100%. 5 star luxury? Doubtful. As there is no global standardised rating system, hotel ratings are usually given by organisations such as AAA or by a particular country’s tourist board, so the only general definition I found is as follows:

“Reception opened 24 hours, multilingual staff - Doorman-service or valet parking - Concierge, page boy - Spacious reception hall with several seats and beverage service - Personalized greeting for each guest with fresh flowers or a present in the room - Minibar and food and beverage offer via room service during 24 hours - Personal care products in flacons - Internet-PC in the room - Safe in the room - Ironing service (return within 1 h), shoe polish service - Turndown service in the evening - Mystery guesting”

With that said, it’s a bit of a generic statement basically describing the type of services and amenities needed to attain 5 star status, and it’s hard to deny that the Outrigger offers all of this and more, but again, for the purpose of a true ‘5 star’ classification, I believe a hotel needs to have that wow factor and a level of excellence that steps it up from others, which will be explained in more detail below. I have stayed in other 5 star luxury hotels around the world, but the one that I will compare it to is the Four Seasons Kuda Huraa Resort in the Maldives (please google it and see the photos for yourself), as it has similar characteristics and amenities and is in a tropical setting. There will be comparisons to this resort throughout the review.

I have broken this review up into 9 different sections, namely rooms, amenities, activities, gardens, service/staff, mei mei, nightlife, food and lastly and most importantly affordability.

Firstly, the rooms. This section is possibly the most contentious. During our 2 visits we have stayed in an Ocean View room, Plantation bure, Ocean Breeze bure and Beachfront bure, which pretty much covers all the accommodation options offered, assuming the Superior rooms are identical to the Ocean View. Are the bures 5 star? Not quite. I believe the rooms make a hotel with its fittings, fixtures and finishes. Although the bures are large, private, comfortable, well equipped and the traditional Fijian feeling is well achieved with its thatched roof and patterned ceiling, they are missing that wow factor. I noticed that all bures we stayed in were the same layout; the only difference was their location (which affected the price). The beachfront bure we stayed in last (405) with its great location and amazing views was very good. However, if you want to challenge that 5 star luxury rating, there are a few things that I believe were missing or could be improved. Seeing that these beachfront bures are the top of the line, I believe if you’re paying the premium price, then you need the premium spec. Some suggestions to management:

1. The bathroom is too small, and it lacks a bath.
2. The quality of the finishes was also fairly average and in some areas a bit rough. The tiles in the shower were uneven, with the mosaics haphazardly put on the wall. It looks as if a handyman did the job, not a professional tiler (see photo).
3. The furniture is also a bit tired and needs updating.
4. The TV also needs to be bigger with an addition of a DVD player (for rainy days).
5. The toiletries should also be of a superior range. They’re good but I’ve noticed these are all the same throughout the resort.
6. That 1-ply toilet paper is crap (excuse the pun). Get rid of it.
7. Extend the covered walkway to the bures.
8. If you really want the high spec 5 star luxury, have a spa or plunge pool installed in front of each beachfront bures. Especially with those views!!!

Strictly compared to the Kuda Huraa (mind you I stayed there pre-tsunami before the refurbishment), which are all bure-type accommodation with full bathrooms and with most having their very own plunge pool, the Outrigger bures are just not of the same calibre. It had a level of refinement that simply oozed 5 star luxury. And I know what you’re going to say, it’s all relative to price (and I’ll get to that in section 9 Affordability) but still the Outrigger is not the high standard quality finish that one would expect for a true 5 star rating. Being generous I would give the Outrigger bures 4 stars. Speaking to other guests staying in the bures, they too were of the same general opinion.

Are the Ocean View and Superior rooms 5 star? Definitely not. Although clean, comfortable and of a good size, these rooms are little too basic and in my opinion would rate about 3.5 star. Again it’s the wow factor that is lacking. There was nothing wrong with the room we stayed in (214), and with a baby, its location suited us perfectly (down near the pool and beach). The room itself looked a bit tired with rough finishes, especially in the bathroom. I’m assuming the building is at least 30 years old, and although practical, it’s showing its age. Again, speaking to others, the general consensus was that their rooms were adequate, some good, but none said they were outstanding.

Don’t get me wrong, all the rooms we stayed in served their purpose well. They all had comfy beds, were well serviced and spacious enough for our needs. With the addition of Talai butler service (thanks Venina and Joseph for looking after us so well) with drinks and canapés every afternoon (a very good concept), at the end of the day, you come to Fiji to enjoy Fiji, not spend it in a room.

Secondly, the amenities. This is where the Outrigger starts to shine. Plenty on offer. Gym, tennis court, basketball, driving range, beach volleyball (my fav), scuba, shops, hairdresser, and most importantly the Bebe Spa, which although expensive, is worth every cent and I believe is a slice of heaven on Earth (thanks ladies, you have the hands of angels). Due to the resort’s fairly isolated location it’s very convenient to have all of these things at your fingertips. Spoilt for choice? Absolutely. Still, if they could add a mini golf course and a video games arcade (for the kids, of course) then I would give it 5 stars, but definitely worth 4.5. The beach, although nice, is not a ‘swimming beach’, but we knew that before we came. The pool is possibly the jewel of the crown for the resort. Very large with heaps of shady deck chairs dotted around it and waitstaff on constant patrol. A few very minor issues with chipped tiles and the surface chaffing in parts but all in all it’s a 5 star pool. I heard rumours of an adult’s only pool coming soon. If this is the case, it will bring it up to another level. One thing that a guest suggested (and I totally agree) is to light the pool up at night. It’s a shame to have such an imposing feature left in the dark like that.

Thirdly, the activities. Again, here you are spoilt for choice. It reminded me of the old Club Meds. The weekly schedule caters for every taste. Lots of competitions to test your prowess like the spear throwing or the coconut bowling on the beach, with some good prizes. The activities also catered for the kids. I didn’t do any of the activities (apart from pool volleyball and beach volleyball) but certainly the opportunity was there to do as much or as little as you want. On a personal note I want to thank Erami and Jack for those awesome games of beach volleyball we played (I hope you liked my setting mate). Man, these Fijians have some serious air time!!!! As a former semi-pro player from many moons ago, it was definitely the highlight of my stay. 3pm at the volleyball courts every day. Game on!

The gardens. Wow, wow, wow!! Lush, tropical, pristine. Fantastic. 5 stars.

Service/staff. Excellent. I was still saying ‘Bula’ for days after coming back home. The staff is extremely friendly, and 98% of the time the service was of a high standard. There was only a very small number of staff who were probably a bit tired, grumpy or were just having a bad day, but with over 450 personnel, that is to be expected. I need to give a special mention to the Duty Manager William Work, who arranged a complimentary dinner for 2 for us due to a stuff-up with the room key when we first arrived (at 1.30am after a horrible flight). He also fixed a problem we had with the mei mei service (to be explained later). This gentleman is a true asset to the Outrigger. Another special mention goes to Asena (I hope I got your name right?) at the front desk. And of course Ratu the porter (Don’t call him Raju!!!) Really funny guy. From my observations overall a vast majority of the staff went out of their way to make all the guests as comfortable as possible. 5 star.

Mei mei service. With everyone talking up how good this service was from the reviews, for us unfortunately it was far from a positive experience. With a 9 month old it was comforting to have this service on offer. So we booked dinner at the Ivi restaurant, thinking this was going to be a no-brainer. We had organised for a nanny to come to our room and get paid to watch TV for a couple of hours. Easy right? Not so. Firstly, she arrived at 8.27 when she was supposed to be there at 8.15. Not happy with the lack of punctuality but OK. However, it’s when we got back to the room that really shocked us. We found our nanny curled up at the end of our bed fast asleep!!! I actually had to nudge her awake to leave, and all she could do was say sorry. Now God forbid if anything happened, I’m sure she would have slept right through it!!! I’m predicting this was a very isolated incident, but the fact that it happened sure left a very sour taste in our mouths. After that, we didn’t use the service at night anymore. 1 star.

Nightlife. Not much, which for us was fine (being non-drinkers and with a baby, we were in bed by 9pm most nights). Apart from the Vakavanua Lounge which is basically a bar with a small dance floor, the resort is pretty much dead by 11pm. My suggestion to management is to have a trivia night, or even a poker night, or really splash out and get a stand-up comedian to do an adults only show. This will allow more people to get involved and possibly have a good time.

Now for the food. First and foremost I want to point out that reviewers making comments about the standard of food hygiene being below average are completely false. As someone who has worked in hospitality for quite a number of years and with my own Italian restaurant, let me assure everyone that the Outrigger’s attention to food hygiene is second to none. The Executive Chef Shalesh (thank you for your time as I know you are a very busy man) gave me a tour of their extensive kitchen at my request, being something that obviously is of interest to me and to see how they run their day-to-day catering for the resort. I purposely went just after the busy breakfast timeslot and was very impressed by how clean their rather large kitchen was. Being a large commercial kitchen it’s quite easy to let hygiene slip, but not the Outrigger kitchen. So rest assured that this kitchen is clean.

OK let’s get on to the food itself. I am going to be extra super critical in this section. In a nutshell, the food at the Outrigger is a little hit and miss, depending on where you go. Again, this was based on my own experience on both visits and talking to quite a number of guests.

Ivi: Excellent. The true definition of fine dining. Naturally you are going to pay the premium price, but well worth it. There was a special where you could choose from 3 different entrees, mains and desserts for about $90 odd FJD each. My wife chose the taste of Fiji platter, the chicken pasta and the dark chocolate soufflé. I chose the duck spring rolls, the beef tenderloin and the banana cheesecake. The meals were well presented and had very good flavours, however, just a couple of minor remarks. My duck spring rolls were a little over cooked making the pastry a bit too dry. Also, my wife’s pasta again was a little overcooked. If spaghetti is overcooked then it breaks into pieces, which is what happened. I’m not saying it needs to be hard, but ‘al dente’, a point where there is still consistency and not too soft. The desserts were divine, and coupled with the silver service, it’s worth a visit (or two). Absolutely 5 star.

Sundowner: I was looking forward to this, as on our visit last year it was closed for renovations. Truly a top location with amazing views of the ocean. We dined there several times and it looked like a popular dinner destination for a lot of the guests. The garlic bread baguette was to die for, even better than what I can do, which is saying a lot. The confit of duck had wonderful flavours as did the tart. The pizzas were good, but the tomato base was a little too sweet for my liking. Nice toppings though. My only criticism is that there are only 4 pizzas on the menu. I found that rather puzzling. I have a pizza oven in my restaurant that is a quarter of the size of Sundowner’s but I have 14 different pizzas to choose from. Up your pizza choices, please!!! I also had the baby back ribs which were rather disappointing. I spoke to several American guests who said the same thing, saying they lacked flavour and needed heaps more BBQ sauce. I didn’t try the steaks, but they looked rather good. All in all a nice dining destination with great service and reasonable prices worth 4.5 star.

Baravi: Mmmmm. Maybe I chose the wrong meal, but it was a disappointing dinner, especially for the price. My wife had the spice encrusted lamb cutlets that she thought were quite good while I had the sizzling king prawns garnished with prawn heads. It may be just me, but I could think of a heap of different ingredients other than prawn heads to garnish this dish. Very off-putting. You don’t eat them anyway so why put it in this dish? And $49 FJD for 8-9 prawns, it was definitely not worth the price. With a shared entrée and soft drinks it came to $118 FJD. Other dishes on the menu looked interesting with a distinct Asian feel, but suffice to say that because of the café style food with Sydney restaurant prices, we didn’t go back. As a comparison we headed down the road to the Bedarra resort twice for dinner. Their mains were about $30 FJD and larger as well. On tripadvisor this is the number 1 restaurant in Sigatoka, and as we had been there last year as well, their food was twice as good for half the price. Surprisingly a lot of Outrigger guests were there as well, which goes to show people will seek out good places to eat. The Baravi could certainly take some lesson in that. 2 stars.

Poolside lunch: Rather good. The usual fare like wraps, burgers, salads and the like, with enough choice to cater for every palate. We, however, couldn’t go past the tapas platter. Wow, it was sublime. We had that several times. Not cheap (about $50 odd FJD) but enough to satisfy both of us. Good feedback from other guests as well. 4 star.

Kalokalo Bar. Didn’t go this year but had a good memory of it from last year. Great tapas with spectacular views. 4.5 stars.

Finally the Valenikana Buffet. This is going to be another point of contention. For breakfast I have to say it’s very good. Large choice of the usual fare with fresh fruit, omelettes cooked to order, breads and pastries made on site (yes, they make it all fresh daily), and probably the best bircher muesli I’ve ever tasted (especially mixed with their honey banana buzz). And the smoothies….excellent!!! I used to get a big glass because a shot was simply not enough. Problem was that after 7-8 days the whole thing got a bit monotone, still the variety was there to suit all palates so it served its purpose well. 4 star.

Now the dinner buffet. After eating there last year almost every night we purposely tried to avoid this. Why? Because I’m sorry to say it really isn’t that good. As we had a complimentary dinner for 2 we decided to go on the seafood night (a buffet we missed last year). Lots of choice but sadly the quality was just not there. Most of the fish was dry, the sushi should have been cut fresh at the moment, and who puts oyster sauce in a pasta? They had linguine with prawns that looked interesting (cooked fresh) so I decided to try some. Everything looked good until the chef put oyster sauce in the mix. All I could taste was that. Not good. If they could have substituted the oyster sauce with, say, coconut cream or even some peeled tomato sauce, I reckon it would have tasted much better. On top of all that my wife got food poisoning later that night from eating a fresh (?) oyster. We both ate the same food except for that (can’t stand them personally) so it was an unfortunate end to a below average meal. (The dance show was very good though). The Italian night last year was probably the worst of all the meals we had there (please, please, please, learn how to cook pasta properly) and being Italian myself I guess my expectations were just way too high. Anyway, it was surprising to see the amount of people at the buffets seemed low in comparison to the diners at the Sundowner. Again, compared to the Kuda Huraa, where their buffets were outstanding offering Ivi quality food every night, the Outrigger’s buffet pales in comparison. And it’s not just my opinion. The consensus from all the guests I spoke to seemed to agree with that. I heard comments ranging from poor to adequate to barely edible for the different themed buffets. Not one person (and I spoke to a lot of them) said the buffet was good. Something else for management to think about. 2 stars.

Which leads me to the last section, affordability. In the end you get what you pay for. Is Outrigger affordable? Mostly, especially if you get a package deal like we did. Some things like the Bebe spa and some meals were a little expensive, but they didn’t break the bank. Basically, the Outrigger is a resort for the average Joe. And you can tell how affordable a resort is by the calibre of guests it attracts. I’m not saying there is anything wrong with the calibre of people, in fact we met a lot of great facebook friends. I’m just saying that if the Outrigger truly were a 5 star luxury resort, you would get more of the pretentious crowd ie. people with loads of cash who will probably be expecting a high level of refinement, like the Kuda Huraa. Here absolute luxury comes with a rather large price tag, more than likely out of reach for the average person. So if the Outrigger can do an 8 night stay with airfares, transfers, accommodation, breakfast daily and resort credit for under $2,000 AUD per person, all the credit to them, but then I believe the ‘5 star luxury’ tag needs to be somewhat sacrificed to allow for that, which it is. Quite frankly, the Outrigger is just too damn big to be exclusive, but what it does right is that it caters for people (with or without kids) who want to have a good holiday at a decent price. Would we go back again? Probably not. Not for any other reason apart from the fact that I think twice is enough for us. We came, we saw, we certainly enjoyed, but there are plenty of other places in the world to see and experience.

After everything that has been said and done, in my opinion, the Outrigger would be a solid 4 star resort, not 5. I sincerely wish Peter (GM), Jason (Resort Manager) and all the staff all the continued success in the future (and looking forward to their response).

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank David T
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Wow, we have a wonderful holiday here in 2011 and decided to go backin 2012 .
Fingers crossed it would be as good.

Well we were met like king and queen as returning guests, Basil was there to welcome us,
Asceri (Jerry) was there for anything we needed, our lovely house maid Anna was almost n tears on our return, Marcia for breakfast couldnt do enough. Peter the GM looked us up to welcome us back. The new Sundowner restaurant lived up to all the hipe, wondeful food, wonderful position and wonderful staff. We love our steak and can honestly say steak here at The sundowner or the Ivy rest is the best we have ever had.(Go Tassie beef)

Dont forget a Cool Banana, they are a must.

See u guys again in 2013.

Bula Vinaka

Room Tip: The ocean view bures are fantastic and close to everything
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
JasonZvatoraFiji, Manager at Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2012

Dear Muzza2235,

A huge Vinaka for your kind review and choosing to return to our beautiful resort again in 2012. I am so please that our team welcomed you back to your Fijian home and that you felt like a king and queen. I have taken the time to provide your personal comments to Basil, Jerry, Anna and Marcia. As you mentioned, the Sundowner Bar and Grill refurbishment has been a great success and this restaurant is fast becoming one of the premier dining options in all of Fiji. Sensational quality meats (yes all the way from Tassie) cooked by very skilled chefs in a beautiful location – it’s not hard to see why it is so popular. We can’t wait to welcome you back in 2013 and we will ensure to keep the Cool Banana cocktails flowing until then.

Reviewed March 23, 2012

This was our 2nd trip to the outrigger and we were not disappointed. It has been almost 2 years since our last trip and one of the Talai (Aseri) met us by chance at the entrance and even remembered our 3 childrens' names!
This time we stayed in the superior ocean view rooms compared to the Bures last time (this was a lower budget holiday for us). We had adjoining rooms. The rooms are nice and we would have been really happy had we not stayed in Bure last time. The Talai service is not quite as comprehensive (you only get 1 visit rather than 2 in the evening) and the maid service is not quite as consistent. The hotel was at full capacity so the staff may have been struggling to keep up with the arrivals and departures.
The Sundowner market has gone more upmarket since we visited last time which we like - it is too good a location to be just a pizza joint. It would have been nice to see the themes change a little with the buffet - seems to not have changed much - maybe change a theme night or two every year? The kids menu is also a lot more extensive than before.
Kids club staff amazing as before. Again - kids felt they were going back to friends and couldn't wait to go back.
Some other contributors have commented about billing issues. We were on a slightly more complex 'deal' this time and were a little concerned when we saw our bill on the last morning - however when you go to reception to pay the bill they get out your confirmation letter and fix it up. I think it is more of an issue of it being difficult for the IT system to keep up with all the rates people come on. It may be helpful if people are told what to expect on check in - I observed one guest getting his vinakas in a knot about billing and it was all completely needless.
The spa was wonderful as usual - I lay there thinking that this must be Nirvana.
Updated wireless internet works well from the main building anyway - you just log in with name and room number and rates aren't too bad by Aussie standards. I had just one concern though - our daughter was given scrap paper from the kids club which had details or current guests - which means people could use your details which has all sorts of ramifications apart from billing (e.g. if they were accessing content illegal in Fiji). I would feel more comfortable if the scrap paper was a month or so out of date when handed out.
TV channels have changed - but still not great in my opinion. Nevermind - you don't go on holiday to watch TV.
All in all the best atmosphere you could want.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank robmigrates

Bula robmigrates,
From the isle of smiles, Vinaka for your kind comments! We are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your second trip back just as much as your first. Your feedback with regards to the staff struggling to keep up with the arrivals and departures has been discussed at length with our Front Office Manager to ensure that every guest receives a warm bula welcome and departure. Secondly, he is also further investigating your issues with the billing. Whilst there are some complex packages, our system should be able to handle these. Thank you again for your feedback. Lastly, I am please to note that we are starting a review on our nightly themed buffets. Over the coming month, we will trial a few nights. This biggest challenge we face is which night to change. They are all very popular. Robmigrates, I strongly agree with your comments “Best Staff Ever”. We are very proud of our team and the unique Fijian style of warm service the deliver at the resort. Thank you again for taking the time to review your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.
Resort Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#5 of 8 in Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!