“Outrigger Fiji for families FANTASTIC”

Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Melbourne
“Outrigger Fiji for families FANTASTIC”
Reviewed December 5, 2007

We have just returned from our Fiji holiday and spent the first 5 days at the Outrigger. What a place! We have 2 kids, 7 and 4, and we all had a ball.
The Plantation Bure we stayed in was excellent, I was worried about the kids sharing the fold out bed but they were so shattered every night it was no problem. And the Talai butler delivering champagne and canapes and then nightcaps was such a decadent treat.
We had a meal plan so ate at all of the different restaurants (except the Ivi though many of the menu items are availale at Vale Ni Kana anyway). The food was EXCELLENT and plentiful. Therefore we only had to pay for drinks WHICH WERE OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE!! We made the most of our Duty Free allowance but even mixers in the mini bar were ridiculous. We stocked up in Sigatoka after 2 days and that helped. Next time we would take wine from home that had duty paid already I think. Would look into it anyway.
The kids were not ever really asking for snacks as they had huge meals every mealtime.
The pool is really great. And the staff....well they were divine. Everywhere you turned there was someone hoping to help you with a big smile and a "Bula".
Our kids did not use the kids club as they were just happy to have our undivided attention and live in the pool so cannot comment on that.
We cannot wait to go back. I totally recommend it but do get the meal plan as others we spoke to said the meals were quite expensive.

• Liked — Talai butler service
  • Disliked — Our hammock could have been better
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
8 Thank Gina M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (961)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Isle of Man
Reviewed November 30, 2007

We got married last week at the Outrigger. Fantastic hotel, everyone is very friendly and the staff cannot do enough to please you. Its worth booking a bure, which has a personal butler service, they will polish your shoes or iron your clothes before dinner, nothing is too much trouble. We had a milk jaccuzzi overlooking the ocean with champagne the morning of the wedding in th fantastic spa. The wedding coordinator Preveena was very helpful, and made sure the day went perfectly. Worth a night at the Ivi resturant, food is fantasic here and in all of the eateries. If you go for the meal plan, probably worthwhile getting less days than you are booked. We had several vouchers unspent. These are good value. Overall the best hotel we have ever stayed at ....... sheer luxury!!!

Margaret & Steve Knight

Stayed November 2007
3 Thank knightIsleofMan
New Zealand
Reviewed November 22, 2007

We had an awesome time at the Outrigger, the resort was beautiful, I'd never seen anything like it. Our room in the Deluxe Oceanview suite was amazing, had all the little luxuries. All the staff were so gracious and friendly, and went out of their way to be helpful.

We were really spoilt and very relaxed by the time we left. We'd recommend the Outrigger to all our friends going to Fiji.

Thank you for a wonderful holiday.

• Liked — Very luxurious and wonderful staff, beautiful resort in every way
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ReeseNewZealand
brisbane
Reviewed November 21, 2007

I stayed at the Outrigger on the Lagoon for about a week in July this year, and like most other reviewers on this site, I had a great time. My friend and I stayed in a deluxe ocean view room which was definitely worth the extra money. The room was beautifully decorated and the bed was one of the most comfortable I've ever slept in. The bathroom was a very large size, and very well maintained.

I appreciated the extra touches of fresh water and champagne and canapes every evening. The resort food was pretty good, and moderately expensive. It got a little bit tedious after several days as there wasn't too much variety really. Cocktails were priced about the same as they are in Australian resorts but it does add up if you drank them everyday like I did! There was some good natured rivalry between staff members at the poolside bar as to whose specialty drink you ordered. I solved this problem by making sure to try all the cocktails at least once!! I also made sure to tell the staff at the bar to keep the change when paying with cash, as their wages are extremely low.

Activities were great, although the horses have seen better days. They seemed a bit old and tired. The Kava ceremony was really enjoyable but must definitely be an aquired taste. The reef walk was good fun but treacherous in places... Try not to bring your non-waterproof very expensive camera with you on this walk, as you are in grave danger of slipping or falling into a concealed hole!

Bebe spa was incredible; by far the most beautiful spa I have been to and the treatments were great. I had the Fijian Bobo massage and it was very relaxing. Make sure to stock up on your Pevonia products here as they're a lot cheaper there than in Australia.

We went to Robinson Crusoe Island for a day trip and while it was a bit of a mixed bag, the snorkeling was well worth it. The beach itself was horrible (by Queensland standards) and the facilities were very basic, so if you're after more of a tropical paradise I'd go somewhere else. The lovo buffet and fire walking display were great.

Like many other people have said in other reviews this is a very family orientated resort, so if you want some peace and quiet away from kids this isn't the place for you. I really enjoyed my holiday here.. the only downside was that there were so many things to do that I felt like I didn't get enough time to relax!

• Liked — The comfy beds
  • Disliked — distance from airport
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled with friends
6 Thank thriller_7
ciba
Reviewed November 3, 2007

we stayed in Outrigger and enjoyed very much. This was our first time in Fiji and wish to return again soon. There is many activities and the staff was good fun especially activities. Our room was very modern and quite large. We enjoyed snorkeling and water activities. The restaurant were all very good especially Ivy restaurant.

• Liked — rooms
  • Disliked — leaving!
3 Thank honeymoonersCiba
Kimberling City, Missouri
Reviewed October 27, 2007

Well, you won't be dissappointed with your stay here...if you heed to all my secrets of staying here. My husband and I stayed here for 6 days in October. Had we not found out how things work at the Outrigger our first few days, I don't think we'd have come home with a penny to our name, but fortunately there is a way to stay here without breaking the bank.
First the basics: the rooms are awesome, clean, ours was bug free, and smelled great. We stayed in a Plantation bure, which I highly recommend! (See pics!) The bed is like heaven - so soft and cozy. The in room robes were fun, and the bathroom spacious with good water pressure in the shower. We spent alot of time in our bure (if you know what I mean) and loved every minute of it. We loved, loved, loved, the canapes or hors duevres they served us every afternoon and evening. Who doesn't love a freebie, especially at this resort. A word to the wise: your bure will come stocked with a mini bar full of goodies. Try to avoid this at all costs, because it's pricey. Instead, if you get the buffet breakfast, take a little napsack with you and put extra bananas, cereal boxes, nuts, and other stashable things in your napsack. Trust me, for 30 bucks for breakfast, you'll want to stash anything you can for later.
How to get a room on the budget side: Wait to book until a month or so before you go. Rates went way down on Expedia and we ended up paying for only 3 nights and getting 2 free!
Now onto the resort itself: beautiful grounds, clean, overly-friendly staff...in fact we almost got sick of hearing the word, "Bula" which means hello, that they say 90,000 times a day. The resort has a great fitness center, which we used daily. I'm a personal trainer, so I was pleased to see such a nice selection of equipment as compared to some places you stay where there is only a treadmill and an old rickety bike. Beautiful lobby where you can pass the time leisurely or surf the net (for a fee). The pool is awesome! Big, and refreshingly cool. There were a ton of people their when we were there, and yet the pool still never felt crowded. However it is true that you have to claim your lounge chair early in the morning if you want one, as they fill up fast, and you'll be left in the grassy knoll by the pool if you don't. The activities at the resort were amazing. Everyday all the live long day there is something to do. Or you can do nothing, but relax so that's nice too. We don't have kids, but we watched the kid's club sometimes and they looked like they really take great care of the kids and we would hear kids cry when their parents came to get them because they were having so much fun.
Now how about the beach: Well, I won't lie, I've seen prettier. And I wasn't too impressed with how much glass is on the beach. But compared to most mainland hotels, this beach boasts the best. Snorkeling was fun at high tide, I recommend that. The sunsets were amazing,....and when the pool is too much, the beach is still usually quiet and people-free and so that was a nice change. If you want the true fiji-beach experience I'll tell you about taking a trip to an island in a moment.
Tricks and tips: remember what I said about stashing things for later in your napsack from breakfast? Well, that's only the beginning to survive on a budget at this resort. The food, while good, is expensive. Crazy expensive. And the water? Forget about buying water unless you like paying 5.00 per bottle. Here's what to do. Your room comes with tap water. It is fine to drink despite what anyone says. And if your worried about it, pour it into your in room coffee pot and boil it, then stick it in the mini fridge to cool it down. I got two glasses from the pool bar and used them to fill up and keep cool in the fridge then in the afternoon they give you two free bottles of water when they turn down the bed. These are free so go ahead and drink up. At the pool or around the resort you can order just a glass of ice water. It's safe to drink and tastes good and doens't cost a penny. For the food: the sundowner bar serves great pizza, and splitting one is the cheapest way to eat for two at the restaurant. Order one at night and put it in your mini fridge for breakfast in the morning if you don't want to pay for the $30 breakfast buffet every morning. But the best way to save money and have great food???? Go next door. That's right, walk about 100 yards or less down the beach and there is a great little restaurant called the Bula Bar and Beachside Restaurant and another called the Le Cafe. Both are run by nice Fijians and serve great food morning, noon, and night. The Le Cafe's food takes a long time to come out, but the other resaurant the Beachside restaurant is fast, yummy, and has friendly people who own. Not to mention the prices are HALF of what you pay at the resort. They also have a taxi service available at the Beachside restaurant for less than HALF, of the resort. Just ask for Michael, he's sweet young guy who will take you anywhere at a great rate. If you do eat at the resort, it's best to order one thing and split it with someone else, as you get big portions. Or one thing I found, is order something not on the menu, like peanut butter and jelly or raw cut up vegetabls not cooked. They don't know how to charge for this, so it usually ends up being cheaper. Same goes with the Bebe spa. Although the spa is beautiful, it's amazingly expensive. But you can get just a 30min. massage even though its not on the spa menu and it's much cheaper. Or ask for other things not on the menu. They should cater to you.
Now how about souvenirs: Don't buy from anybody at the resort. There is a place in town called the Baravi Souviners and get this: they will come pick you up for free at the Outrigger, drive you to their store, let you shop as long as you want while they serve you juice or coffee, and then drive you back to the resort for free. And thier prices are much cheaper the anywhere else. Just get the phone number from Catalina, at the Le Cafe.
So about those fijian islands: Well, we took a cruise with Captian Cook cruises to Mystery Island and it was the best thing we did the whole time we were there. It's cheap. About $50 a person and they serve you unlimited drinks, snacks, and then a big barbeque lunch on the island. You will not go hungry or thirsty on this trip. The island is breathtaking, and you can get massages on the island for way cheaper than the resort. (Although I won't complain about Bebe spa...that experience was great too). You can kayak, snorkel, take a glass bottom boat tour, learn how to husk a coconut, or just simply relax. You must do this cruise, it's the best way to spend a day in Fiji and see a real fijian beach.
Well, that about sums it up. This really is a great resort despite how pricey it is. So enjoy the beautiful flowers that fill up the grounds, pick one and put it behind your ear, and bask in the glorious fijian sun with the ones you love. Remember, everythings cheaper next door, don't sweat the small stuff, like when there are no chairs at the pool, and just take time to relax. Keep your sense of humor when you hear a thousand "Bula"s a day and always kiss goodnight. Thanks and email for any more questions.

• Liked — The beautiful and sexy bures
  • Disliked — The price of the food - Yikes!
38 Thank Jodellefitzh20
San Diego
Reviewed October 25, 2007

So many ways to describe the place. It's a very beautiful place. Let me just break it down to you:

1) The resort: Very clean place. The people are as friendly as it's going to get. Pool is nice and clean. There is no real jacuzzi there, it's the same temp as the pool, you just get to hit a button for the jet stream. The food is over-rated. They serve a lot of french fries with a lot of their dishes. The place sucks for snorkeling cause you can walk as far as the line goes out there and the water still be at your knees. The only time for snorkeling is during high tide which they only give you one hour for doing it. There is an awesome place called Bebe's Spa that sits at the top of the resort for the best view and drinks. The Plantation Bure's we stayed in have a smell that reminds you of a damp wet towel from the beach. You actually have to do what we did, go out and buy a air freshener or leave the air conditioning unit on all day all night. I recommend you leave all the window's closed so the bugs don't get in. We had a problem with the ants. The room comes with a bug killer spray. We had the sheets changed out every day cause we would find baby ants in the bed. They need to take a duster and wipe down the spider webs on the top of the room where the lights are. You can save money by just buying your souvenirs from the stores and not from the locals who set around on the ground in the resorts (prices are alot cheaper). Exchange your money before you get to the resort. You get better rates in town then you do from The Outrigger plus your limited to only changing $200 a day.

2) Fiji and activities to do: The country is very clean. People care for their country. I didn't see hardly if any trash litter anywhere we went. The people are the most friendliest people I have ever came around. I recommend doing Beachcomber Island for water sport activities, the Seaspray Cruise for good lunch cruise on a boat, and snorkeling on the island of Mana. The Mystery Cruise is another one to check out. Try renting a car and take a tour of the mainland. If you rent from the resort you only have 300km per day, but if you call 6500986 (budget rental) you got unlimited miles for the same price. The resorts have cars with over 100k-200k miles on their cars. We didn't feel safe in it. Budget changes car's after 50k miles and the economy car's look better =). You can also get a taxi ride from the resort to Sagitoka round trip for $20 fiji dollars and eat in town for a lot less.

3) What to bring to Fiji: shorts, sunglasses, lots of sunblock or sun tan lotion, reef shoes (you need it if you want to do waterfall, cave, white water rapids, getting off the small boats to the island ,got to jump into the water to get to land), camera (charger and if so a waterproof camera), a hat, lotion to moisturizer your body after being abused by the sun, flip flops, and mosquito spray.

Any questions from this California couple, email me.

• Liked — Not having common walls by staying in the bure's.
  • Disliked — Bugs, the smell, and the lack of channels to watch on tv.
7 Thank RonDevu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
The Warwick Fiji
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort? Share your experiences!