“Ok for senior travellers”
Review of Gecko's Resort

Gecko's Resort
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Geelong, Australia
“Ok for senior travellers”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Having stayed a week each at "Bedarra" and "The Pearl" resorts, coming to the Geckos was a bit of a cultural shock. It lacks the formers variety of activities, grandure, serenity and sea views.The Geckos worked out to be the most expensive. Geckos is located on the inland side of the queens road and is a large walled well kept tropical garden with motel style accommodation (minus drives and cars in front of units) which are located toward the back of the property.
There are 6 traditional fijian building reconstructions (housing many artifacts) spread throught the gardens detailing information about traditional fijian history, life and culture. The resort is also close to 3 villages and walking to these can give you an unsanitised view of village life.
The restaurant has a family pub atmosphere especially on friday and sunday entertainment nights which were great family fun. Food is good value and the menu offers a wide range of exciting options.
A decent beach is only accessed through a pleasant 1k walk to the nearby Shangrila resort
where you are welcomed as a day visitor and free to use their facilities.
Most people seem to use the gecko resort as a base and it is almost deserted during the day. We had lunch and the pool to ourselves on several occasions.The staff are very friendly and helpful.

2 Thank kboldkart

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (62)
Townsville, Australia
Reviewed September 10, 2013

I stayed here before my wedding at the Shangrila resort across the road. I booked ten rooms for the bridal party and family to stay here, for 5 days and they all loved it. We intend to come back and stay here again. The staff are so welcoming and lovely and nothing is too much for them. The rooms are big and the food is delicious and the cocktails are so yummy. I stayed at the Shangrila too and it was nice but if I was to come back, I would book my stay at Geckos. You would save so much money and can always walk across to Shangrila when your bored. I have nothing but good memories of Geckos.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank tegs11
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Gecko's was for me the best....
Rooms are large and spacious, grounds are very well kept
Pool is a little small but very clean....

Food was a good price although a little average

Friday and Sunday entertainment was EXCELLENT you will guaranteed a good time here as the friendly staff will look after your every need

Well done

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Good Day to you all at Geeko's

I could not stop talking to my relatives in Fiji about our stay at Gecko's. We both retired and decided to go to Fiji and relax and thoroughly enjoyed our five days at Gecko's. The massages we had were fantastic too. Yes we made the right choice to stay at Gecko's. It was very peaceful and quite, the staff were very friendly and helpful and could not do enough for us. I would like to compliment the chefs at Gecko's, the food was fantastic. We did not miss out on having our breakfast, lunch and dinner at their restaurant. The room is spacious and very clean and the rate for a room was very reasonable. So if you want to relax in peaceful surroundings, and good food I recommend Gecko's Resort. We will no doubt stop over again on our next visit.

Thank you Gecko's for making our stay an enjoyable one.

Regards

Peni and Margaret

Room Tip: Any location is quiet
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

Although we stayed at another resort while visiting Fiji, we ate and visited friends at Gecko's nearly every night of our trip. We loved the friendly atmosphere here and awesome entertainment. The food was beautiful and really reasonably priced. Sam and Junior in the bar were great and made the best drinks. *Try a Sam's special cocktail - A MUST!
What a great place and we can now see why all our friends talk so highly of there time in Fiji at Gecko's!!!

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We were happy with our 2 night stay at Gecko's Resort, which is a great value, small, low key 'resort' ideal for relaxing, or as a base for day trips. It was everything we had expected, based on reading other reviews. Their personable manager answered all our email enquiries before and after our booking.
The Sunday/Friday night Polynesian Dance and Fire show (included for guests and diners) was a fun way to start our holiday and get into the Fiji mood.
The staff were great, from the front desk/ restaurant and bar staff, spa therapist, right through to the friendly room cleaning ladies and even the grounds staff who always said Bula.
We loved the massage at the on site spa. We enjoyed all our meals which were well priced. We wished we had time to try even more of the menu.
Our room was clean, comfortable, spacious and fantastic value: Queen and single bed, decent bathroom, mini fridge, included bottled water, tea & coffee, air con, fan, tv with dvd, wardrobe, safe, desk with chair and outdoor chairs overlooking the central 'village green'. ( One minor suggestion would be stops to prevent the bed sliding forward when you sit upright - but there are enough chairs to sit in.)
There are a few things to do if you simply want to relax: book a treatment at the onsite spa, laze on a deck chair by the (small) pool, enjoy some time in the guest lounge/restaurant/bar area, borrow a book/dvd from the guest library, check out the cultural centre with traditional Fijian Bures and historical displays in the garden surrounds of the resort. Otherwise: the Scenic Railway to Sigatoka is right outside, you can do day trips, you can visit the much larger neighbouring resort. (We enjoyed a swim in the pretty lagoon beach. )

Room Tip: Overlooking the central 'village green'
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed August 18, 2013

It felt like home with an amazing big family unit. The place is just beautiful. Here at Gecko's you get the feeling that you belong. You get to know everyone of the staff and most of the guests. The staff especially Anna, Katalina, Imma, Etta., Maraya and Salome and of course Helen made you feel so at home.......nothing was ever impossible for them to do. The housekeeping staff were lovely too and always obliged to whatever we requested....extra towels etc. Well what can I say about that lady in the spa.......just too sweet and efficient. I visited the spa 3 times ...I was so impressed and felt soooo good after all my treatments. Thanks so much Romina. The resident taxi service gets my vote as well. My sincere thanks to Arief and Assaf for your good driving knowing that you had nervous Nellie to transport about. Its a pity I didnt get to meet Darren.......maybe when I come back, I will get to meet him. The dancers were just awesome....I bought myself a Fiji cd and I am going to practice shaking those hips.......so watch out when I come next time.....

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lorna G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Bedarra Beach Inn
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to Gecko's Resort? Share your experiences!