“Eye opening”

Jet Boat Safari on the Sigatoka River
Ranked #1 of 15 Tours in Sigatoka
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Fiji's original and the World's First jetboat & village safari,is a half-day, uniquely Fijian adventure into the "Heart and Soul of Fiji", aboard our purpose-built Safari jet boats. Our guests will travel along the majestic Sigatoka River to visit an authentic Fijian village and experience a day in the life of the real ‘kaiviti’ (Fijian). To bring the Safari adventure to life, your driver/guide is assigned to each group and introduces passengers to the rich culture of the Fijian people and shares the history, customs and legends of the area. Sigatoka River Safari began operations in 2006 and quickly established itself as a premier attraction by winning the Best Fiji Experience in 2008 and Best Adventure Tour in 2007 at the annual AON Fiji Excellence in Tourism Awards, also winning 6 consecutive TripAdvisor Excellence Awards putting itself into the Hall of Fame as the Number 1 Outdoor Activity in Fiji. In 2017 secured World Travel Award Australasia's Leading Adventure Tour Operator
Reviewed January 2, 2012

Bloody fantastic, the river was quite swollen after heavy rains of the night before.The fast jet boat ride was exhilarating the scenery amazing.Seeing the local farmers in the river and waving to us in the boat.The highlight was going to the village of Navula, seeing and mixing with the beautiful people and children, joining in dancing with them really was touching We actually left with heavy hearts as we really felt a part of the village even though it was only for a short time.

2  Thank bones004

Reviewed December 11, 2011

My kids and I loved this trip. The downside was the long ride on a dirt road to the launch site. Once there, we were impressed by the speed and comfort of the boat, the scenery and the skill of our driver (especially in low water). The highlight was the village tour. It did not seem rushed or commercial at all. We had a very authentic kava ceremony with the village elders and enjoyed a lavish meal of local foods prepared for us (all good and healthy -- I was somewhat concerned about getting sick due to cleanliness of the water, but we didn't), followed by dancing! The villagers were genuinely happy to see us and were excellent hosts. They benefit by these visits, of course, so it's a win-win. A highlight of our trip to Fiji.

5  Thank Diverdad1
Reviewed November 29, 2011

We decided to do the Sigatoka River Safari after reading so many fantastic reviews, and we were not dissappointed!
The jet boats are super fast and super loud, and driven by Captain Jack Sparrow and his team. Several stops are made along the river, with commentary and facts along the way - although watch out for a few funnies from Captn Jack! Don't believe everything you hear!
The most appealing aspect of this safari adventure, is that they spread the love, by visiting different villages every day, so by attending, you are not only helping the village you visited, but so many more.
When we arrived, we were greeted by a guide, and taken to the village community hall, where we witnessed a Kava and Welcome Ceremony. Then a little walk around the villge, and onto a large feast in their hall, where they sit back and watch us eat, then they eat after - I wished they had eaten with us.
After lunch, there is much dancing and singing, with the children and elders, and then there is a farewell song, where you are invited to present your gifts to the village. Good gifts to take are pencils, footballs, second hand childrens clothes, books, treats (biscuits and jelly frogs etc) and you can also give cash. This money and these gifts remain with this village, so you know that your gifts are getting to those that need it.
Upon leaving, you are given the postal address of your village, and asked to send them any photo's that you took - and anythng else that you want to send to them.
The bus then takes you back into Sigatoka, and to the Tappoo tourist gift shop. All items purchased here are treated and guaranteed to get back through Aussie customs.
While the trip is a little expensive - $F400 for a family of 4, it was well worth it, and will be included on each and every trip we make to Fiji.
I would recommend the morning trip, purely because it gets so hot in the afternoon, and it is a long day - even though the tour only goes for approx 3 hours.
Our 3.5 yo and 5.5yo loved it, and they were not the youngest on the boat - we felt safe all the time.
Cant wait to go again. This is such a great tour to take your children on, to show them a cultural difference, while still in a safe environment.
Feel free to msg me if you have any questions.

3  Thank The4Birds
Reviewed November 10, 2011

FJD265 I think is what I paid, roughly AUD150 was well worth every cent and more.

Was picked up from the Sheraton in Denarau and driven to Sigatoka along with a van load of others. Driver (Bobo) was really friendly).
Then boarded the mini-bus to the Jetty learning interesting facts along the way about the vegetation and Fiji in general.

Everyone was asked to gather into the groups they travelled with so nobody got split then we were all split into 2 groups
As I went by myself there was not really any worry about that for me but Captain Jack and Jo (Jordana) were very friendly and kept me company and in fits of laughter the boat ride to the village and back.

There was a little bit of a hill to walk up to the village but not too much trouble (there were handrails to hlep).The village was great! I read someone talk about the whole men being higher than women thing, and that maybe the tours should go to villages that are more women friendly, this is what they live like, if the village experience is what you want it goes hand in hand.
I am a woman and had no problem with it. The only parts where I saw a difference were in the welcoming/kava ceremony (men sat in the front and women at the back) and during the dancing (the women were asked to dance ALOT more lol)

There were older people on our trip and young children. One little boy ended up taking off with 2 of the little boys from the village and playing for the majority of the day.

After walking around the village and being told about some of the history and the make up of the village, we were taken into the community hall for lunch and entertainment.
The food was delicious although I felt rude sitting there and eating whilst the villagers didn't.
Dancing and entertainment was so enjoyable and hilarious.
The villagers were really nice and the children even came to see us after they had finished school.

We were told we could give a donation if we liked but were told it wasn't an obligation and I didn't feel pressured into anything. A couple and I got the address to send things back to the village.

Boat ride back was fun (loved the spins) an older woman in our group kept asking for more lol.

Thoroughly enjoyed myself and would do it all over again. Highly recommend it!!.

PS: Make sure you take sunglasses!! Ladies, you get a sulu as a souvenir and to wear at the village (don't remember if the guys got one) and you also get a small bottle of water (I recommend taking another one as the heat and all the dancing could dehydrate you ;) )

1  Thank kiwi_travel_bug_31
Reviewed September 3, 2011

My husband and I took our two 8 year old boys on this trip. What a great experience. After being picked up at our hotel we were taken to the office in town where details were checked and I was given a sarong (females needed to wear the sarong in the village as it is required that women's knees are covered). After a drive of around 30 minutes you arrive at the launch. We were welcomed aboard by Captain Jack who was both entertaining and informative offering information on Fijian history and tradition on the trip up the river. Along the way you see the locals fishing and bathing in the river. Everyone is ready with a wave. The company visits a different village each day of the week, so the whole village was out to meet us this Thursday. First stop was the chief's house where the traditional welcome and kava ceremony take place.(even my boys had some kava!) Following a walk through the village you get treated to a lovo lunch prepared by the villagers. The food was magnificent and fresh. I hope you like singing. The villagers (and Fijians in general) sing to you the whole time. It was wonderful. We also received thanks by joining the villagers in dance. It was fantastic fun. With gifts handed over (we took lollies and school supplies, but a cash donation is also welcome), it was time to head back to our boat for a quick trip home. Be ready to get wet, as you get to experience 360degree thrills on the return journey. Overall an excellent experience and well recommended way to see some of Fiji and get to learn about Fiji life.

4  Thank Yvonne H