“A GORGEOUS Getaway...”

de Vos The Private Residence
Reviewed July 26, 2012

My family and I stayed at the deVos in December 2011 for 7 nights with a Yazoom voucher. What a gorgeous place. We flew into Nadi at about 18:30 and were met by our driver (which was organised by Annemarie). On the way to deVos, the driver was happy to stop anywhere we wnated to along the way (which was great, as we needed to stop and grab a few things for the hotel room). When we arrived, we were greeted by Geesa and Thomas, who took our bags and showed us to our bure. Dinner was on the table when we got back to the dining room. We were lucky to be the ONLY guests at deVos for 6 of the 7 nights we were there. We had aslo purchased a ‘’Meal Deal’’ which included continantal breakfast, lunch and dinner for the duration of our stay for $100 NZD per person (my son was free). Breakfast consisted of 3 different cereals, milk, juice, tea, coffee, coconut bread (YUM!), toast and 2 or 3 different fruits (bananas, pineapple, papaya, etc. all freshly picked) Lunch was homemade burgers and fries, salad, sandwiches, basically anything we wanted. Dinner was great too. We had alot of seafood (all caught by the boys) One dinner speciaically was a tuna steak! AMAZING!!! We stayed in the Franjipani Bure which was absolutely stunning. Our bure had 2 double four poster beds, a HUGE bathroom (with a double shower which could probably fit 5 people in it!) and a lovely sitting area. We aslo had an outside deck, where most of our breakfasts and lunches were served. Our voucher included a massage for myself and my partner. That was amazing....Geesa has REALLY strong hands...lol. Thomas took myself and my son on a horse ride along the beach. I can’t fault deVos or their wonderful staff on one thing! They were only too happy to make our stay as comfortable as possible. AND...all the staff are absolutley wonderful with children....which is great!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Franjipani Bure - would definitely recommend it :)
  • Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank descott87
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Bula vaka vaka levu
What a great reponse this is what we are trying to achieve we were concerend you had a quiet time without many other guests and at times this year we wish it was like that we are booked right through and gaps filling quickly . We are stilled privildged to have so many return guests come. The chef loves feedback and your responses to his meals only encouraged him
I know you tried out everyhting we had to do adn the days went quickly
and the chidlren were delightful with guest like you it makes everything worthwhile
the fijians love children especially happy ones so chidlren like yours make there jobs worth while hope to see you again in the future team at devos

Reviewed April 24, 2012

If you are after a quiet, personal and relaxing place to stay in Fiji in this area, look no further than Devos. The staff were friendly and knew how to help without intruding on what you wanted to do. Reading a great book, overlooking the ocean was just what we were after.
The rooms were tidy and very spacious.
The swimming pool was amazing and it felt like there were no other guests around, but as the time went on we met others at breakfast in the main lounge room. This communal area was a great place to get to know the staff in an informal way. My favourite part was having kava with the locals too.
Thomas and the horse riding was another highlight. The beach was so quiet and the fish really enjoyed being fed as we explored the area.
Annemarie and Chris were very welcoming and made us feel so comfortable. As first time travellers to Fiji, we appreciated the 1 on 1 contact with them.
We went to other resort complexes close by for dinner. Taxis were always available to take you places.
If you want something slightly different from the 5-star resorts that entertain you with the touristy stuff, then you might find Devos just what you're looking for.

Room Tip: Ask for one on the beach. Frangipani bure was nice.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank loopy01

BUla
Thanks for the reveiw apprecaite the time taken to write a reveiw these days not many people have time many leave and say it will be the first thing they do but life these days is soo busy
The pool I have to say it also my favourite and it was a great pleasure when Chris and I had this built many a long night but we knew what we wanted and were determined many laughed that we would build such a large pool for the size of the resort
but just because you wanted to stay somewhere quiet and smaller doesnot mean the facilities have to be smaller we always hated the fighting or getting up early for sun chairs or no room around a pool so this was our mission
others I definetely dont agree wiht you on does not matter how long I am here I dont like Kava or horseriding but many others do so I cant comment on this although I am sure Tomasi is great entertainment and the veiws are great from the horses and the stories around the kava bowl are entertaining as a tourist of course it is a must hope we see you soemtime in the future

Reviewed April 19, 2012

Spent 5 nights at De Vos with my Dad. We had a rental car which was awesome for getting out and about- unlike other people who have reviewed we didnt have any problem finding De Vos, it's really close to other big busy hotels on the coral coast so there was the option of going there for dinner, shows etc. Had a really nice time, went kayaking, horse riding along the beach and even fed the sharks right outside our front door! The staff at De Vos were wonderful, very helpful and friendly.

Just a side note-the only reason this review doesn't give 5/5 is due to the slack communication from Anne Marie and Paddy before we left. It took a number of times emailing before we received replies. It can be quite disconcerting when you don't receive a reply to questions you ask about what is included, sleeping arrangements etc. Just made me a bit nervous when paying in advance for accommodation and never have been to Fiji before!

Room Tip: Stayed In the coral view bure, nice location, would recommend it!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank WorldTravellerNZ

Bu;a
I am glad and very happy as are the satff that we catered for your needs. We are as you say only minutes away from large resorts that have night shows available always welcoming to guest to come in and enjoy
horseriding not my thing but everyone loves it and Tomasi is local just trying to get a business going so he has done so well over last 2 year all reveiws are great
I 100% agree the staff are the best friendly accommodating would do anyhting for you so just ask
then we have the communication you recommened you would of like to have more communicaton between myself and you I take total responsilbility I would like to list of reasons why which dont actually solve the problem for you
from running to hotels trying to meet guest in both places which are 2 hours apart
and running both hotels to answering all the amrketing campaigns I keep coming up with but at the end of the day you are right and I need to delegate some work so all communications are fast I appreciate your comment and I know you are right so I will put myself on a mission to delegate some of these areas thankyou and vinaka vaka levu

Reviewed March 21, 2012

It was hard to find this hotel. If you google the location of this place, you can see it is in the middle of jungle. Actually it is located near beach.
If you want to get there by bus, please tell the driver to drop you off at "Maui Bay"(The long white wall with Maui Bay sign).The person who was in charge told me every bus driver knows the hotel, it will take 5 mins on foot. But in reality it was not. There is no sign saying "De Vos" at the entrance and even locals didn't know where it is!!! " On their homepage, there are no directions to the place. I think it would be nice if there were directions by bus or car with correct address and on Goggle maps.
I stayed at Mango room which is located on 1st level above the kitchen. The view was good but, it has been unoccupied for so long due as I could see a lots of dirt and dust. There was no kettle nor coffee or tea. But there was little fridge which is too nasty to put any food in. I saw the cleaning ladies tidy up my room on my 2nd day stay. I think she cleaned my room the best she could. I think in their culture, it was not necessary to mop the table and other things. I was just feeling bad as there should be a manager who checks cleaner`s cleaning as it looks like nothing has been checked for ages. (please see my attached photos about what I am saying).
On my second day, the water didn't run, I had to wait for some time until it came out of the tap. (please see attached a videoclip)
The swimming pool looks good but it is not properly maintained all they do is clean the leaves and top up the water. Also the spa was not working. I tried to find the spa button to operate it but couldn't. Then I realised spa was out of order.
When I booked this hotel for two nights the complimentary continental breakfast was included.
However the free food look so poor. It was mainly because the owner doesn't care what kind of food will be serviced with that poor budget. (please see the photo attached ).
Also the Internet was down, I couldn`t keep in touch with my family. (from Friday to Sunday, we all had no internet and the staffs recommended me to go to another hotel nearby to use Wi-Fi)
Even though the hotel facility was very disappointing and needed some serious maintenance. I would be so furious if I had to pay the normal price of $200 but due to a special deal I only paid $79.

There are a few things I want the management to improve:

1) Instruct cleaners how to mop the bedside table and empty drawers (the cleaner seems to have no idea how to clean the room)

2) Please take care of inside of fridge . It was all mouldy

3) Fix up swimming pool and spa. I brought my waterproof camcorder and took a record of water in the pool, it was just blurry, which means dirty. Spa should be fixed up otherwise it needs to be removed from the facility.

4) Please increase your budget for breakfast. There was bread, four slices of avocado, six slices of fruit, milk, jam and butter had to be shared, cereal, no honey (just sugar) as well as only apple juice or powder coffee to drink.
This continental breakfast menu is worse than any other backpackers which serve free breakfast as well.

5) Please advise how to get to your hotel by bus and kindly correct the address of your hotel and change the location on goggle map

6) Please put a little sign and paint saying this is "De Vos", people will put your sign on Facebook and eventually it will attract more customers

Room Tip: Mango room -Upstairs of main building
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo
13  Thank Yangju L
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2012

Bula
Thankyou for the time to write a reveiw we appreciate all feedback and are better able to advise guest that our place is suitable or not depending on requirements

your comments that it was hard to find this hotel. If you google the location of this place, you can see it is in the middle of jungle. Actually it is located near beach.

Yes it is on the beach we are very careful to put this in all websites and advertising that we are on the beach you can hear waves all night and only one minute to water . we will reveiw all advertising and make sure this is very clear.
Maui Bay Estate is a large estate and does go back in hills and we apologise if we give the impression it is not on the beach. Perhaps a few more photos will highlight this.
It is not normal to have problems finding us as we normally always recommend you catching tourism transport or private transfer the road can be percaroius and a long journey if you have not travelled before in Fiji

Also you stated If you want to get there by bus.please tell the driver to drop you off at Maui Bay (The long white wall with Maui Bay sign).The person who was in charge told me every bus driver knows the hotel, it will take 5 mins on foot. But in reality it was not. There is no sign saying "De Vos" at the entrance and even locals didn't know where it is!!! " On their homepage, there are no directions to the place. I think it would be nice if there were directions by bus or car with correct address and on Goggle maps.

The person on charge that spoke with you was me I did advise you that the tourism transport and transfers all know exactly where we are. I never and would not reccommend you catching local bus reason being is that they dont go to the airport so you have to get with your luggage to main road then make your way . If you have not been there before can be long and worrisome. Then you can face the challenge they often mistake accents and Maui Bay can end up Momi bay some interesting combinations I have found anyone travelling by hire car or local transport of hitching will always have a problem and end up with a reveiw in the same manner.

The reason we dont put directions on web page as we dont encourage this method of travel and our normal market is not backpackers or flash packers but the discerning traveller. The last thing we want is guest who get lost that arrive agitated and upset or worried this can ruin someones holiday and reflect right through.
So I still strongly recommend licences tourism transport from airport or tourism transfers
we do not have an individual sign as we advertise private tranquil serene as soon as a sign goes out you end up with lots sight seers and peole walking through it is not public it is not open to public and we are very careful to maintain everyones privacy

You mentioned you stayed at Mango room which is located on 1st level above the kitchen. The view was good but, it has been unoccupied for so long due as I could see a lots of dirt and dust. There was no kettle nor coffee or tea. But there was little fridge which is too nasty to put any food in. I saw the cleaning ladies tidy up my room on my 2nd day stay. I think she cleaned my room the best she could. I think in their culture, it was not necessary to mop the table and other things. I was just feeling bad as there should be a manager who checks cleaner`s cleaning as it looks like nothing has been checked for ages.

The Mango room is always popular and always booked out this room in the last 12 weeks has had 5 empty days for spring clean that is all so well occupied. The manager on arrival Alisi ask you about Tea/Coffee you advised you dont drink it? maybe there has been an misunderstanding here. There is nothing wrong with there culture and they are very clean people. The girls are very thorough at cleaning and the manager checks all arrival rooms not necessaril;y daily servicing. But thankyou for this point I will advise her that it might pay to do some random checks on daily servicing as well in case they skipping on something. It was a little difficult to see in your photos but I have been back in since and recheck rooms. You mention second day so perhaps this was a miss on this day the other days I am presuming you were happy.

also that the The Mango room was on the top of the kitchen and it was very noisy at night because of guests. If you would like to unwind, Mango room would not be a good choice due to the loud noise especially when guests are enjoying drinking. There were 4 Mango rooms. Only one was occupied by me and others by staffs.

This is not normally a problem as most people stay up till at least 9 o clock and normally most people get along with each other
Yes most people have a few drinks around dinner time and a little I wish we had of known this was an issue for you you could of had one of the back rooms one was empty.We do try and encourage all guest to let us know that it is no problem if they have a problem just advise us and we will try and solve so there holdiay is enjoyable.
I am not sure what you meaqn by staffs the two indian girls were from Australia and guests? I am not sure what you mean by this comment staffswe do have one room where the hotel manaegr stays on the premises at all times

you mentioned On my second day, the water didn't run, I had to wait for some time until it came out of the tap.

Yes we have had few power cuts lately and it did take 20 minutes for the generator to kick my fault totally which other guests found amusing but I thought there a problem with water pump I had not realise the power had gone out so yes took 20 minutes and you and another lady were not happy about this can I can only apologise. I should of known it was the power.

The pool you refer to as the spa is a plunge pool it has no button and is not broken it is part of main pool?
It is a cool plunge for when too hot in main pool there is a sign on wall in regard to this?
yes the pool is raked daily and topped daily due to hot weather being a large pool thats why it is so clean. I am not sure what you expected to see the maintenance boys doing It s a salt water pool we do add a little chlorine in hotweather and it has self cleaning system as well. It was extremely clean so I am not sure what you expected to see them doing and actually they are not suppose to be doing any leaves or skimming while anyone near the pool either. In theory you should never see them doing any cleaning

You mentiuoned that when you booked this hotel for two nights the complimentary continental breakfast was included.

The free food that was out for you as all other guests had eaten a lot earlier as in photos you can see includes:
tea/coffee choice 3 juices, toast ,condiments, fresh fuit ,and fruit salad, homemade breads muffins,3 choose cereal personally I thoughth that that was alot of food for one person I would appreciate more feedback to tell what you would expect on continental?
the internet was down while on generator and the system they suggested you use was the vodaphone stick which can be send on our premsies and if you needed more money we would have to go to local large resort as it is closer for top up. But the power did come back on same day?
I am not sure what you mean by I dont care what food served I am very particular I am not sure what I said that gave you that idea?

I am glad you found that The best things was that the staff were very nice and did their best to prepare food and flower decorations. (I would like to give 100 score for the staff who were kind and nice and always provided good service). All the locals were employed. I do not know how much they earn hourly from the hotel but this hotel should be their main income to live on.
I hope they still stay there and make guests happy as I got a good impression from them."

They are excellent satff and yes this is there main income and not sure why they would discuss there income with you but they are always nice they do work hard and 95% of guest always rave about their food and service .They were disapointed with some of your comments as Alisi spent so much time with you as you were on your own and is sad she was not able to let you know you could of discussed any of these things above with her

You suggested that there are a few things I want the management to improve:

We dont mop the bedside tables but wipe over and furniture clean coconut oil
the brochures in the drawer I have advised that better to leave on top in case gives wrong impression thanks for that

2) Please take care of inside of fridge . It was all mouldy
It was not when I check and it ahs been sued coniually but everyone has taken note if this and keeping an eye thankyou for this

The pool is spotlessy clean and checked daily that was not the spa that was the plunge pool we will place the sign in a clearer place and also on oreintation make more emphasis on this thankyou for that

You were advised this was for you not to share as everyone else had gone out finished on there day trips I heard Alisis seeing if you wanted anything else and there was coffee brewed in kitchen. we have plenty fruits in garden and on bowls, varieties cereal jams juices we dont nromally do honey but if you ahd of requested it the girls would pr provided it thats why they asked you. Yes I had the feeling you thougth you were coming to a back packers we are not a backpackers that why we generally dont have a problem with direction or transport . AS one of Staff have pointed any bad reveiws or complaints are always from guest who have travelled by hire car or other modes of transport than tourism transport. Frazzzled when they arrive and never quite get over it-everything becomes a problem
Sorry we cant put sign out I need to maintain privacy for guests

So I very much apprecaited all your comments and I hope I fully discussed and rectified as many as possible I strongly recommend that backpackers or single people not wanting to mix the premises is not suitable

Reviewed January 31, 2012

This was my third trip to stay here in less than a year. Once again De Vos thoroughly exceeded my expectations. One again we were treated to lovely Kiwi hospitality in a beautiful setting on the Coral Coast. What makes De Vos special and unique is that its not a run of the mill large resort that is over run with tourists. It has a small number of beautifully appointed bures and lots of privacy. But it does have all you would expect for a high quality resort. The enormous pool is always seriously tempting in between eating! My favorite thing is getting up late to be greeted by Pinki's poached eggs for breakfast on the deck of my bure with a spectacular view of the sea. My idea of perfection. Any expats living in Suva looking for the ideal break from the daily grind - this is the best weekend break you can get (and less than 2 hours by car)!

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FijiAnnie

Bula
Thanks again for your great reveiw and you are always a pleasure to have the staff are getting quite fond of you and your friends. Youare our ideal guest.
Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed January 29, 2012

My husband and I decided to "treat" ourselves on our annual trip to Fiji and booked one night at de Vos. We were both rather upset. The bures weren't clean, the food was far from fresh (slimy lettuce), the place was impossible to find (even the resorts next door hadn't heard of it), the private plunge pool was empty and dirty, insects everywhere, bedding unclean, holes in the mosquito net etc. We were excited about having a private bure - in reality it had no curtains, windows that didn't close so let all the noise in (and out) and the "private beach bure" was only a few meters from the common area. We regularly stay in other amazing places in fiji for half the price and double the satisfaction. Definitely not 4 star sorry:(.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank alice h

Bula
Thankyou for your review we have tried to track you down and cant work out when you came and any details. we would of liked to have discussed this further with you.
some of it is a bit odd we dont have windows? we have wooden louvres you dont have curtains and wooden louvres? what noise you can definetely hear the waves and sea all night this is attraction to most people. the plunge pools are always clean and new water for every new guest when no guest in that bure emptied I would like to check were you wanting to use a plunge pool at another bure did your bure have a plunge pool?
private beach bures are on foreshore surround by tropical gardens? sorry would apprecaite an email so I can locate your booking especially one night?
thanks for your comments hope to help further

Reviewed January 12, 2012

Our stay at de Vos was the highlight of our trip, from the moment we arrived the staff were so friendly and welcoming. They really know how to look after their guests and make them feel right at home.

When we were shown to our beach front bure and we were not disappointed! It was spacious and beautifully appointed. The outdoor bath was a delight, in the evenings as the sunset that is where I was.

The food was great, nice and fresh, the Lovo was my favorite. What we really liked was the that if you wanted to be social you could join the other guest at the table for meals and have a great chat with everyone or have a quite private dinner at the bure.

I would highly recommend going to the waterfall, it's truly beautiful! And I'm really glad my partner managed to talk me into swimming with the baby sharks, it's an experience I will remember.

I would recommend staying here to anyone, in fact I have already told my family and friends it's where they should go for their next holiday.

Thanks to all the staff you truly made it a stay to remember!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank Lillydarling

Bula
Thankyou for your reveiw everyone is so busy these days with all the hundreds that we have to stay and promises of reveiws life is so busy these days so Vinaka VA levu

The outdoor baths and sky seaveiws are always my favourite as well and I am glad you found the bures spacious and well appointed,this is definetely what we have aimed for. everyone laughed when I had these marble baths brought out from Bali they weigh 1/2 ton each

Thankyou for your comments about the food we always try and use as much local produce and fresh from our garden as possible to enhance the expereince of travelling to another country

I
The waterfall is a great for a picnic and day out for a couple fo family also one of my favourites
and thankyou for the staff they always appreciate positive feedback
Again thankyou for the time to write a reveiw and hope to see you again I the future

Vinaka VA Levu

Annemarie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Tambua Sands
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
Namuka Bay Lagoon Resort
#10 of 10 in Sigatoka
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay

Been to de Vos The Private Residence? Share your experiences!