“ABSOLUTELY AMAZING EXPERIENCE AND WEDDING!”

de Vos The Private Residence
“ABSOLUTELY AMAZING EXPERIENCE AND WEDDING!”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

This place and the people now have a place in the hearts of myself, family and friends.

In July My husband and I had our wedding here. 28 people in total, close family and best friends.We stayed for 6 days, friends and family 4...Everyone thoroughly enjoyed their time here, loved the people, the food, the beach, the snorkeling, the pool, the bures - everything was just amazing and beautiful!

The people that work here are amazing, they were so helpful and willing and kind and made our stay awesome! They went out of their way to make our stay a memorable one. Fishing trips, horse rides, trips to the waterfall, massages. Anything you wanted, they were always happy to accommodate, even climbing up the coconut trees to get coconuts for us, putting straws in them to drink out of (other places we stayed at were grumpy about doing this) .

The wedding day was fantastic - I can definitely recommend having your wedding here, the table arrangements were awesome, lovo for the wedding feast amazing, we encouraged the staff to take part and dance etc because they felt like part of the family - so neat :) Paddy and Annemarie made the day a completely stress free one, taking on all the dramas, keeping me calm and reassured that there was nothing to worry about (and there wasn't) Adding little extra touches which we weren't expecting (wrapping the pillars in weaved coconut fronds and flowers, altering a wedding pillow of their own to match my colours to use for the ceremony, hand making a flower and frond archway on the beach, clearing the coral etc on the beach for the ceremony etc)

My friends and family couldn't believe how calm and relaxed I was on the wedding day, my dad commenting that when he first arrived it was the most relaxed he had seen me, a credit to the amazing people at Devos.

The lovo feast was sooooo yummmmmmmy!!!!! Palasami is my favourite fijian dish now :) It was cool to be invited to watch the lovo come out too, smelling all the yummy smells.

We all have a special place in our hearts for fiji and Devos, it was just soooo cool to be in such a friendly atmosphere - and we really did feel like we were part of the Devos family.

All the places we visited after were just not the same, Devos felt like ours, we felt like intruders everywhere else.

When we pulled out of the driveway on our last day at Devos I and another friend starting crying, We didn't want to leave and were so sad to go because it was amazing to be there and we really enjoyed the company and friendships we made with the staff and owners.

We will definitely be returning - for our anniversary, and every other year if we can :)

Again - Thank you Annemarie and Paddy - we appreciate everything you did for us :)

XX Sarah and Damon

Room Tip: Beachfront Bures are beautiful, definitely recommend these.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this review, October 18, 2011
Bula
Thankyou for the time on writing your reveiw and putting in so much feedback.
It is always much apprecaited as we know how busy everyone is these days once they go back from holiday all good intentions forgotten.

The staff have read your reveiw and are very happy with your commetns. It is also a great reflection on yourself family and friends what a lovely collection of people you are privildge to have in your life. happy and so keen to celebrate with you. so full of life and happiness

The fijian people are very friendly and often the more you give the more you get they really enjoyed their time with you and celebrating your wedding day.
We will be only too pleased to have you or your family, friends back in the future
so we look forward to many more good times with you

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 5, 2011

First of all we drove there and it is not that easy to find as they usually collect you from the airport. We found it and all the staff were very welcoming, the manager Paddy was very friendly and showed us around. Being Aussies there was a little bit of banter with regards the Rugby as both the owners and Paddy are Kiwis. The Bure's are very comfortable and spacious are have a fantastic view of the the reef and one only has to walk a few metres to dip one's feet in the ocean. What is really cool is that the area in front is a marine park so there are both fish to see as well as a big school of black tipped reef sharks that come around early in the morning and as it is getting dark. They are not large so it is great fun standing in the water with them checking them out why they check you out. The place is all and all a great experience for couples wanting a nice quiet rest and a great sleep. We will return next time we are in Fiji again.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this review, August 7, 2011
Bula
Thanks for the review and taking the time to complete some feedback
One of the most commented about is that lack of signs guess why
- because we do not want any visitors we have a private secluded accommodation for you and any guests booked as soon as the signs goes out we have hundreds of pop ins and people calling in to see that the privacy is all gone
so unless someone books we do not encourage any outsiders we aim to maintian the privacy for the guests in house as especaily as most of our bookings are exclusive
hope to see you in the future thanks again form everyone at devos
Suva, Fiji
Reviewed July 31, 2011

I have stayed at De Vos twice and I will definitely be back. If I wasn't paddling with the baby reef sharks, hunting for gorgeous shells on the beach, I was either by the pool or eating. This is a great place to come an relax and forget about the rest of the world. Both of the Bures I have stayed in were beautifully appointed and spacious. Check out the outdoor bath! The lovely Pinky turned out fabulous meals (which seemed to magically appear just when I was ready to eat) and the host Anne-Martie was so welcoming and spoilt me! Thanks Anne-Marie for two lovely mini breaks.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this review, August 2, 2011
Bula
thanks for the great reveiw ans the time taken to write. It can be awfully busy for everyone once they go back to work these days and the many promises of great reviews often dont eventuate so thanks again and always a pleasur eto have you will always make a spot to fit you in
thanks from all the staff at devos
Gainesville, FL
Reviewed July 27, 2011

BULA! We spend 6 days at de Vos with three other couples and had a fantastic time. The entire staff was incredible - they seemed to have almost telepathic ability to sense what you wanted and to make you happy. Pinky's food was great, and her husband Rom was quite the character who is knowledgeable about local villages and attractions, including fishing, where we caught dinner for the last night (yellowfin tuna). Suwani and Tomase were really nice to us and helped us in so many ways, including climbing coconut trees and making the most delicious lovo. Paddy was really helpful, friendly, and funny, and regaled us with many tales of Fiji and New Zealand. Anne Mare provided a warm, quiet presence and gave really good advice on things to do. Everyone made us feel welcome. It was easy to arrange day trips to various locations on Viti Levu, some of which were accompanied by Rom who provided the "inside scoop". We ate daily breakfast as a group and had several dinners together, including a fantastic lovo and Indian night which were all fabulous and festive. The bure accomodations were great (could use a little more light) and very comfortable. Direct access to the beach and the coral reef for snorkeling, great beach walks, service beyond compare. The facility itself is very nice - by the way the pool is bigger in person than it looks on the website. I would definitely recommend this residence - our group took various side trips (we rented cars, which seems advisable) to villages, waterfalls, horseback riding, etc. We also made brief stops at bars and restaurants at some of the nearby resorts. Each place we went, we commented how happy we were to be staying at deVos. It was really great to come back to this small place and relax together. The personal touch and kindness of the staff made the whole vacation memorable. We will be back (hopefully).
Rus and Dawn

Room Tip: Try to get a bure right on the beach
Bula

Thankyou for your review we hope to achieve all the comforts of home in a little luxury obvoiusly we achieved this for you.
It is great to get a full and honest reveiw and thankyou for taking the time you have put into this. it is always great for other veiwers to see in detail what type of place whether it is for them or not
so thankyou for the time to write and hope to see you in the future
thanks
Annemarie and all staff
Gisborne, New Zealand
Reviewed July 26, 2011

Bula DeVos staff!
What a beautiful, unique,special property you have on the Coral Coast.
I was plesently surprised by the friendly staff, setup, food and personal effort to make my friends wedding the most special day of there lives.
A special thank you to Paddy, Annemarie and the staff that assisted on the Wedding day.
The Rooms where great, nice big beds and the misquito nets are definatly a good touch. The rooms where clean and spacious - fantastic views and liturally are beahfront ( the Bures ) The pool was clean and refreshing - its nice having the dining area and pools more sheltered as we had a few windy days but you almost forgot it was windy when we wereeating. The food was good and the boys never seemed to go hungrey!
The food on the wedding night was amazing and well presented.
The staff where super friendly and helpful - with so many guests over the wedding we had groups going off on day trips in every direction and none of us ever had to wait long for a taxi or shuttle, it was all very orginised.
The staff assisted in making delicious cocktails on the wedding night, kava ceromonies and showing us the traditional Lovo.
Alot of time and effort was put in to the decoration and reception area for the wedding.
The line of shells right down the beach where the wedding took place was a great touch!
Needless to say I think everyone at DeVos over the time we where there had an amazing time, a very relaxed holiday feel - Fijian style. This helped the bride relax incredibly and I think she will remeber her special day at DeVos as perfect!
Thankyou again.
C & J - July 19th Wedding

Bula
Thanks for the reveiw a celebration in Fiji is always exciting and much appreciated by the staff and locals as it is for the tourist. so there is always an element of excitement , enjoyment and full ethusaism from the staff. The fact that you had such a lovely group of people made it so much more enjoyable for everyone. They enjoyed and were so complimentary to the satff about food and service how could they not enjoy your company. Tom and Sowani always eager to do a spot of fishing so lots of fisherman went down well as well
look forward to seeing you again in the future
Annemarie and all the satff devos
Gisborne, New Zealand
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I have just returned from a friends wedding at De Vos and had the most AMAZING holiday there.
The resort was booked out with family and friends of the bride and groom and by the end of the four days we spent there, the staff became friends too.
Our rooms were all great, very tidy and had everything we needed. It was great staying right at the beachfront as it was a beautiful view to wake up to every morning.
There were plenty of activities to do at De Vos - snorkelling, kayaking, horse riding and massages and if you want to do any activities outside of De Vos the staff are very helpful at organising transport for you. We went for a walk up to a waterfall near by which was beautiful and would recommend this.
The food was great, we all had the same thing as we were with a large group and there was plenty to go around, there was always the option of a cooked breakfast which I hadnt expected.
The best thing about De Vos would have to be the staff. They were all so helpful, and really made the stay perfect. There were many times I went into the kitchen with requesst for the girls and they were always very willing to help me out. The boys are all friendly and helpful also and we had a great Kava ceremony with them. Paddy helped the trip and wedding day run smoothly and helped out with so many things behind the scenes, as did Annemarie.
I would recommend De Vos to anyone looking for a relaxing holiday and definately for a couple looking for a place to have their wedding, having Paddy, Annemarie and the staff there really helped take the pressure off the Bride.
Overall I had a fantastic holiday and miss the friends I made. I will definately be back!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
annemarei1, Owner at de Vos The Private Residence, responded to this review, July 29, 2011
Bula Thanks for the reveiw it was a pleasdure and great enjoyment to the staff to met ans make friends with your group having so many wonderful people in one place makes the business worthwhile. I have to admit we are all a ittle tired. The staff loved hearing your reveiw and it is always a great boost to them to hear great feedback
We would certianly wish you back in the future and are pleased the wedding went off so well adn everyone enjoyed them selves.
thanks again hope to see you I the future Annemarie paddy adn the all staff
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed July 20, 2011

What a huge disappointment! Nothing lived up to the descriptions provided on the website. The rooms are sparsely furnished and very unclean. The mosquito nets hanging around the bedposts were dusty, smelly and had numerous unidentifiable stains visible on them.
The food was awful, there was nothing cooked by a chef as stated on website, just by the cleaning staff (who were lovely by the way) but had little knowledge of how to put a basic menu together. On one occasion we were served 3 bowls of pasta without any sauce accompanied by baked potatoes, no salad or fruit, We had to complain direct to the owner to get salad and fruit on the menu. When salad was offered, it was a plate consisting of 5 pieces of dry lettuce leaves. I could go on and on. I would not like any other family to be in the situation we were in. Instead of enjoying our holiday we were literally counting the days until we left this place.
The only saving grace was the beautiful location, the horse riding, and the lovely people we met also staying at the same time as us.
Thank god the owner double booked us and by fate we were transferred to The Maui Palms for the last three days. Maui Palms was a brilliant place and the owner Andreaus made our time there memorable. His cooking was magnificent and the hospitality of his staff was wonderful!
We will definitely return the Maui Palms.

We feel completely ripped off by the owner of the Devos, we were lied to and treated badly, she has never called us back or returned our emails to discuss a refund of over payment for food. We have literally been robbed.
We will advise my friends and family never to stay here!

Abby and John Ebbs and family

Room Tip: Do not book here, and if so order your own taxi! Do not use their transport as it is ridiculously un...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
12 Thank abigail_ebbs
I am sure I need not reply in depth as the discerning reader can identify the group of you with identical writing and comments my only comment is that we do nor are we allowed under the policy for tripadvisor to give monetary returns in veiw of threats of bad reveiws. The guest who are genuine in their comments are quite visible to the discerning reader.
Note next time you make threats you shoudl make sure you have not already written a great review in guest books
Hope your next holiday goes well Annemarie and all the staff at devos
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Bedarra Beach Inn
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
Mango Bay Resort Fiji
#8 of 9 in Sigatoka
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to de Vos The Private Residence? Share your experiences!