“Best "big" hotel on Viti Levu”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
apdva
“Best "big" hotel on Viti Levu”
Reviewed January 10, 2011

The Intercontinental is without a doubt the best big hotel in Fiji. It is so much better than Denerau. First, the beach is beautiful. The kids pool is far away from the adults pool so you can sit in quiet at the pool and never really know that there are hundreds of kids screaming at the kids pool. The food is good, although some of it is a little bland. Breakfast buffet however is great - and the a la carte menu at lunch at the pool is also great. The rooms are very very nice - and the bathtubs on the decks are just amazing. The service here is generally excellent - especially by Fiji standards. At check in/check out/, the front door staff, seem slightly overwhelmed and could use more help to get to people in a timely manner. However, the staff at the front desk is really good. Also, I did have slight concerns about cleanliness in the room, which weren't taken care of in a timely manner - i.e. there were toenail clippings on the deck and fruit flies on the fresh fruit, but these were slight problems in the larger picture. I highly recommend this to couples and people with children - use it as a place to stay between trips to the islands.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 20, 2011
I am glad you enjoyed your stay with us and experienced the beautiful Natadola beach and hotel facilities. Thank you for raising your concerns on the cleanliness of rooms which we continue to improve on. We hope to see you back in the not too distant future and thank you for recommending our resort to couples and families.

Scott Williams, General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I fell in love with this resort as soon as I arrived - the gardens, the buildings, the service - everything was just perfect!

The rooms are amazing! The beach is beautiful. The pools are gorgeous. The staff are INCREDIBLE!!

I just loved my entire visit. There were activities to suit everyone, enough space that couples and families could enjoy their holidays without crowding. The food was fantastic. There are three restaurants and room service, so plenty of choice. There are staff to assist with everything from kids club to pool life guards to concierge who will do anything you need.

Check in and check out was fast and efficient.

Really loved the InterContinental - will stay there for future visits to Fiji.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chanelno18
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, February 15, 2011
I have shared your lovely comments with the team and they are thrilled to hear your feedback. I am glad you like the hotel and got to enjoy the facilities, the beautiful beach, the dining options and our lovely staffs. It is our goal to consistently provide superior customer service so I am glad to hear of your experience. Thank you for choosing to stay with us in your future visits to Fiji and we all look forward to your return. Do not hesitate to let me know how we can assist you on your return or email Reservations.Fiji@interconti.com for your next booking.

Scott Williams
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 8, 2011

We had the club room with the pool, for a week. Overall very satisfied with our time spent there. Review is based in the the Club room, so cannot comment on the normal beachside / poolside rooms.

Positives

*Rooms are spacious, well appointed and in our case had a terrific view
*Resort is new, so minimal wear and tear, grounds are up-kept continuously.
*Club members have access to the Club "bar" with free drinks and food at various times during the day
* Navo Restaurant (some negatives mentioned below) food is mostly good quality and decently prepared. The location and view is very pleasant. I understand that expectations of taste are a relative term so as far as we are concerned we would give it a 6-7 out of 10, having said that it is by far the best option at the resort. Pricing (we had used the Priority Privilege card entitling us to a 50% discount) so we found it reasonable (we ate there every night and averaged about $100 AUD for two) not including alcohol.
Having read some of the previous negative remarks, we were very surprised to find the list extensive in both in options and pricing, with numerous AU & NZ wines available at around the 60 - 80 FJD p/bottle.

Finally one thing that consistently stood out during our stay was the resort staff. By far the friendliest, most helpful and genuine staff that we came across in our stays around the world, Including hotels and resorts double & triple the price of this one, they do deserve the praise. One minor note though, we spent most of our time at the Club area and as such our interactions was mostly with the staff there.

Improvements needed

*Attention to detail specifically with respect to cleaning, not only in the room but also around the resort, some specific examples
- we had greasy smudges on the main door to our room on the outside that were not cleaned throughout the week
- at the Club Lounge tables were not wiped down with a cleaning solution of any sort, but rather crumbs and other stuff were just swept on to the floor, presumably only compounding the problem with ants and other bugs
- In the Club Lounge male toilet the soap dispenser has been empty or not functioning for at least the last 3 days of our stay (lucky our room was close by)

* Food, not having been to any other resorts in Fiji I cannot compare it to others, however I cannot help but wish that it was of a higher overall experience, not necessarily more fine dinning, but rather more consistent and well thought out menu options. The remark to consistency stems from a couple of experiences that we had at Navo, with some items not being consistently prepared during our time.

* Navo, as mentioned before we had used the priority privilege card so for us pricing seemed reasonable, neither good nor bad value, however if we were paying the actual prices as per the menu then it would have been far overpriced in our view. Just for reference we are comparing it to places throughout Aust. and we spend on average $100 - $150 on dinner for two.

Overall, the resort to us really shines due to the staff and the their overall attitude towards their guests, overall new condition, and the location on the main island. There is certainly room for improvement in some areas that i highlighted above, having said that our experience has been pleasant and will recommend it to others.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
It is great to hear that your overall stay in Club InterContinental for the week was very satisfactory. Our friendly staffs are delighted to have been able to assist you. Thank you for recommending our resort to others and also raising some of the issues which we continue to improve.

We hope to see you returning and thank you for your positive feedback.

Evergreen, Colorado
Reviewed January 6, 2011

My husband and I spent a week at the Fiji InterContinetal Resort for our 25th wedding anniversery. We are from the US.
Our driver was waiting for us as we got off the plan and we arrived at the resport at 7am. Although check in time is not until later, we were immediately cared for and given a fabulous room off the pool.
The staff were always attentive and polite as were all the people we met from Fiji. Our driver asked if we would like to stop at the market prior to our arrival to the resort to pick up snacks, wine, beer. This ws very thoughtful and much appreciated.
Our room was fabulous. We loved the layout and view. The private patio was a huge plus as it was shaded and provided a relaxing spot to enjoy the scenery without being in the sun. The pool, beach, and resort layout were all easily accessable with many options for liesure,activities and dining. They lounge offered nightly entertainment with bands, music and cultural entertainment. We did not feel the need to explore outside nightlife.
We had heard reviews that the food was not up to 5 star quality. We are not foodies and that is not a priority to us. We enjoyed our food, but we did wish there was some plane old American food on the menu. Not a big deal though.
We celebrated our Anniversery dinner under a cabana, which could not have been more special. A complimentary bottle of champagn was delivered to our room, complimentary champagn was also served upon our arrival to our dinner and a special dessert with our names spelled out was prepared for us. The dinner was magnificent as was the service.
We were helped to find tours that interested us. We took three and each was unique and different from the others. The pick up service was prompt and the tours were not expensive and well worth the money. Our tour selection was well varied and each showed us a different aspect of Fiji.
I enjoyed the spa wervices and felt they were very comprable to those of the top resorts in the US.
We had read that the horses that passed on the beach left their droppings which was undesirable. But we did not see that. They were promply picked up after.
We went during the winter season and felt the weather was great with a 30 minute rain in the late afternoon.
We found our trip to be everything we dreamed of. A great combination of liesure and activity. The people could not have been more helpful and friendly. We would highly recommend this resort and distination.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience with us. I trust your 25th wedding anniversary celebration was a memorable one. I am glad you enjoyed our hotel facilities and friendly service.

We look forward to welcome you back and hope to see your friends and family next time. Thank you once again for the wonderful comments.

melb
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I must say its the best hotel we have stayed at in Fiji.
From the view to the staff just pure amazing. Its just breath taking when you walk into the lobby and swept away by the view and the staff all so friendly and its lovely to see the real Fiji with a mixture of Indians and Fijians working at the hotel.

From breakfast to dinner and coffee and cake just yummo. they really go out of there way to please the guests.

I really felt like i was on holidays staying at the Intercontinental i would recommend anyone to stay here.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your wonderful feedback which I have shared with the team. They are delighted to hear that you enjoyed your visit and that you will stay with us on your future visits to Fiji. Please feel free to let me know how we may assist you on your next visit and we look forward to welcome you back.

Ohio
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I stayed at the Intercontinental in Fiji last February and had a wonderful stay. I found the staff to be helpful and lovely to be around, the food to be good although slightly limited, the room perfect and the beach and adult pool to be a real treat. That said, the flies around the food were very disturbing and the check in process took an inordinate amount of time and I had to wait for my room to be readied even though the hotel was far from full and I waited over 40 minutes for the driver to be found to return me to the airport at the end of my stay. That said, I decided to return to Fiji later this month and reserved a room for a week of my time in Fiji at the Intercontinental. I made these plans prior to reading all of the reviews from the last few months and am now concerned. It appears that the areas that were problems last year are still problems now. I’ve noted that they have had three different General Managers in this time and it is possible the lack of continuity could be part of the problem. As others have stated, because of the location of this hotel, it really is imperative that the food be good and appetizing because there really are no other choices near by.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 12, 2011
Hello Lisa

Thank-you for taking the time to complete a review based on your stay with us last February.

We have consistently improved the resort during the year based on the constructive feedback we receive from this site and believe that you will be pleasantly surprised.

I welcome you back to InterContinental Fiji and ask that you contact me directly on scott.williams@ihg.com so we can address your concerns and ensure your upcoming stay is up to your expectations.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Scott Williams - General Manager
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I have to say that the Intercontinental didn't disappoint - it is one of the nicer Intercon resorts I have stayed at. It was quite expensive and all the meals and drinks and things were also quite high (especially considering Fiji standards) but the setting was pretty spectacular. The beach was nice, but the pools were fantastic.

The hotel is huge - so huge in fact that they have golf carts that drive around to get you to the farther off bures.

We had a free night voucher so it made the average price a little more bearable and we ended up getting an upgrade to boot! The room was huge - it was like an apartment and it even had a soaking tub on the deck! We had a nice view of the lagoon and were on the end away from the public areas so it was very quiet as well. It was our last nights so we decided to splurge a little bit - and so glad we did!

The food was all very good quality, if not a bit spendy, but that wasn't unexpected.

The hotel also had a nice workout room with lots of new equipment.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Thank you very much for your positive comments and I am glad you enjoyed the room upgrade and hotel facilities. The team and I are thrilled to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to let us know how we may assist you on your next visit.

Scott Williams, General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!