“Six Star Resort, Four Star Service”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Melbourne
“Six Star Resort, Four Star Service”
Reviewed November 14, 2010

My partner & I spent a very relaxing and enjoyable week in this stunning resort. We had a beachfront suite which was amazing. We loved being able to use the bath on the deck at the end of the day to watch the sunset - very romantic.

I think the setting of this resort is probably one of the best in the world, and I would still go back here again in the future but it is just the service & lack of food options that I think could be improved upon if it is to be truly 5 star.

The staff are mostly very friendly, and are usually keen to help when prompted, but we had some issues with the concierge not following up on our queries on day trips/transfers despite numerous requests, and also the service around the adults pool was virtually non-existant. I would have spent alot more money with them on drinks if there had been staff servicing this area more attentatively!

We are quite discerning eaters, and were a bit sceptical on the food after reading the reviews on this website. We ate at Navo every night and found the food to be of quite good quality. The only thing is by night 3 we were really struggling to find something different to order, as there is no change to the menu.

I would highly recommend that anyone going here signs up for a Priority Privilege card as we did (following research done on tripadviser), and it provided us with a 50% discount on all our food, which made it quite good value. Also, it is worth taking a couple of nice bottles of wine with you as the prices are quite high on some average Aus/NZ wines, although not completely outrageous. Navo charged us 35FJD to take a bottle, and if we knew we before we left would have taken over more.

We found the issues with the food to be the breakfast buffet & the poolside restaurant. The quality of food in the buffet is good, but the flies around the pastries and plates were enough to put me off eating . The staff turned a blind eye to it as well, which I thought was quite poor. Staff in this restaurant were nowhere near as good as those at Navo, and that is why we never returned here for dinner. The waiters at Navo even sung to us on our last night, which was so lovely! The staff at the poolside restaurant were also not very attentive. I would say the food here is probably below average, and there should be some better quality , healthy options.

I don't want to dwell on the bad things, as it really is a beautiful place to stay, and we would be keen to go back. But if a few of the service issues were worked on this place would be amazing!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Fiji_Staff, Marketing Coordinator (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 15, 2010
Thanks for our constructive comments. We take feedback about any area seriously and are constantly trying to improve.

I appreciate your feedback regarding the breakfast buffet and Toba, and will be following up with our Food & Beverage team to address your comments.

Scott Willams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (876)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
Reviewed November 12, 2010

We really enjoyed our stay at the Intercontinental. The rooms, facilities and location were spectacular and we found all the staff warm and welcoming. Left feeling totally relaxed. One small issue was we returned to an unexplained charge on our credit card which we were surprised about as we had commented on how good their system was for ensuring you could easily check and make sure the account was correct. Hopefully it will be easily sorted. Would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Macmasters Beach, Australia
Reviewed November 7, 2010

We've stayed here 4 times already. It's excellent value for money if you live in Suva, as we do. We like it very much...

There's just one thing they need to work on and that's the phone service. Whenever I've rung reception, or the concierge or housekeeping it either rings out, or I'm clumsily transferred to someone else only to repeat what it was I was asking, or they tell me that they'll call back and they don't. In short, it's frustrating, because everything else is so nice. It's something they could improve on.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank CCJuju70
Fiji_Staff, Marketing Coordinator (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 9, 2010
Thank you for your feedback. We will have a word with the team about your feedback. I do believe you will be returning to notice the changes.

Auckland
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Firstly I am writing this review as we found so many helpful when we were planning our trip.We stayed recently for 5 nights & are Ambassador Members.

So first impressions; When we pulled up in our hire car, we had to ask for assistance with our luggage - as the porters were busy messing around! Check-in, we were told we had been upgraded to a lagoon view room, the maid was in the actual room now but come back in 4 hours to get the key (I mean how big is the actual room to clean!) - now we weren't too bothered and asked for our garden view and will that be ready sooner - nope not an option....??

We got into the room and one thing that grates me is when the hotel knows that there is a problem but do nothing about it - the TV was on & picture had frozen, called reception & waited a couple of hours for this to be sorted...

The actual resort was lovely, the view from the room (1924) was amazing and very private. We couldn't understand previous reports about the wind....well that was that day!!

On the evening we took a hotel car (as the porters refused to call a taxi service) we went to the Outrigger hotel and that was gorgeous, had a really nice meal and few drinks, their was a good atmosphere and we really felt like we were in Fiji. The Outrigger called us a taxi and it cost $21 to the Inter, a lot less than $75 for trip to there!

Breakfast was included within our rate and was fantastic. the adults pool was a dream, no issues with getting beds or umbrellas, the service around the pool was great. the lagoon and beach were nice and a big of a surprise, liked the horses on the beach but the horse mess can be annoying!!

2nd night we ate at Navo - BYO I cannot stress enough, we are not tight by no long shot but I am not paying $180 for a bottle of wine that you can buy in duty free (NZ) for $15.00. There is a corkage charge of $35, no worries. The meal on the 1st night was great, the service was spot on atmosphere was fab. But the only issue, we could have been in any restaurant anywhere in the world - we thought the same about the hotel, very smart, minimalistic & trendy but nothing made us feel that we were in Fiji - unlike the Outrigger. As soon as the staff recognized you at Navo the service slipped, most diners were amused at the mice running around, just by the open doors and wondering if they will pop in !!

Next night the Shangri-la for dinner - OH MY GOD, I mean every child in the southern hemisphere that was not in Nadi was in there...Had dinner and vowed never ever to return!!

Day light Saving - how does it happen that the hotel only tells its customers mid-day!? we arrive for breakfast still early, but they had to stay open an hour longer due to it being Fiji's best kept secret !!

The wind, so first couple of days were fine and if I am honest so were the garden / beach front rooms, but it felt like we had a mini hurricane on the balcony, the curtain was torn, we spoke to Zac (duty assistant manager) who said the whole hotel had this problem (not what we seen) and he could move us to the block next door - yep a lagoon view room ???? it really did ruin 3 nights where we would have sat out on the balcony, like the rest of the resort....

Check-Out, not sure how that lasted for 45 minutes but it did....

So on a whole, this is a smart hotel, lovely rooms, Navo was good, breakfast was great, the fact that we could get a lounger & umbrella every day without worrying was a bonus....its just the service, lack of dining facilities, the wind in the lagoon view rooms (only)....would we stay again, emm not sure I think we would go to the Outrigger....

So couple of tips, hire a car - we did and loved it, if you are going to dine at Navo take BYO, and try to avoid the lagoon view rooms.....

Enjoy!

2 Thank RachaelA_10
Thank you for submitting your feedback. It is unfortunate that you were unable to have the best experiences.

Brisbane
Reviewed October 28, 2010

after 10 nights at the outrigger for our wedding, my husband and i spent 5 nights at intercontinental, the rooms are beautiful, spa bath on the veranda, pure fiji products.. love it! as for the service well i think this is where the resorts falls short, when we arrived we waited around for nearly 30 mins just to have our bags taken to our room, a few times during our stay when we would come and go from the resort and noticed the front area where the porters greeted guests was often left unattended. Anyway the resort is beautiful, the location is tops and the beach is awesome so ill give them that, as far as service goes.. it doesn't come anything close to being as good or as welcoming as the Outrigger, its very modern and you dont really feel like ur in fiji at this resort, the music they play over the speakers is also english music.. maybe thats the feel they want to give their guests, a home away from home? anyway we're lookin forward to returning to the Outrigger instead for our 1 year anniversary. We'll definitely be visiting natadola beach though where the intercon. is.

1 Thank nomskee_
Thank you for your feedback.

Melbourne
Reviewed October 28, 2010

After reading all the wonderful reviews on Trip Advisor we had high hopes and in many respects we weren't let down.

Lets start with the good- the rooms are fabulous- we had a beachfront suite which was beautiful - a few short steps to the sand and a lovely big bath on the deck.

Now to the bad - the food - I cannot stress enough the food is terrible! actually it is worse than terrible it is mainly inedible - the only place you can eat is Navo and that is only opened for dinner.

I am not someone who complains for the sake of it but when we had mice under our table in the Grill Bar we felt Management should take some action so we told them about the mice and we are still yet to hear back from Management.

The service is definitely not five star- we had very indifferent service. We had booked a tour to an island for a day but no one thought to tell the hotel guests that day light savings was going to start the next day so we got a phone call at 5am to say we were running late - not what you expect from a 5 start Intercontinenal!

Go to the Intercontinental if you just want a nice room, beach access and beautiful weather but be willing to put up with poor service, terrible food and MICE!

2 Thank Madiolivia
Our apologies for any inconvience caused. We are looking into this matter.

Newark, California
Reviewed October 27, 2010

I have stayed in a lot of hotels in fiji and so far i have never experienced such a bad service. Upon checking out i had requested the front desk to have my bags picked from my room and brought to the lobby where i had my rental waiting, 40 mins has passed by and my bags were not brought up, but the bags of other guests were brought who checked out after me, so i decided to inquire at the porters desk in the front lobby, there was a person waiting in front of me so i was after him followed by another guy behind me, after the first guy was helped the particular employee skipped me and asked the guy behind me if he could him, by the way for the record the guy in front of me was a "white guy and so was the guy behind me" and since i was not of this color i was skipped. Before my stay at intercontinetal i stayed at mana island and there wasnt any selective service there, I went and talked to the front desk manager and she had no clue what was happening, assuring me that my bags are on the way i went back at the front lobby and waited again and no bags yet, i had to go back again to remind her that my bags were not there yet and she radioed again, all in all at 12.35 my bags had arrived, and the porter had even broken the handle of the bag god knows how, 1 hour and 35 mins of waiting. Since i had a international flight i had 4 big bags therefore it would have been a hastle to drag them from the room to the lobby therefore i required assistance from the porter, just because of the delay i was late an hour for my business meeting, i really suggest that the front desk manager have a clue to whats going around her and pretent to to act suprised and despite of how many staff or how short staff one has an hour and half is not justified to be waiting for 4 bags, Sonsali island resort only had 3 porters i only had to wait 15 mins for the porter to get my bags from the room to the boat, so i suggest to the management STOP playing the ever famous racial games because i am paying the same amount of money like the rest of the other quests that arrive there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
7 Thank integra94
Our apologies that you felt that way and this matter is being looked into.

Scott Willams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!