“Beautiful resort..”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Beautiful resort..”
Reviewed August 19, 2009

We went to the IC for a get-away for a week.
Flew over on Air Pacific,who were friendly and very professional.

Arrived at nighttime and had a quick checkin.
All of our luggage was taken care of,and by the time we walked to our room it was in our room.
The room was divine.It was a garden room,but you could walk down to the beach and being on the ground floor it had some sun lounges and an outside bathtub.
Only thing I didn't like about our room,it was right outside the ice machine,which you heard at all hours,as people filled their ice buckets.
The food I think has improved after reading earlier posts.We had breakfast most mornings at Sanasana.The coffee was fantastic(when you eventually got it..maybe a second barrista could work?).
Our waiitress told us that they are trying to organise a family dining section...what a great idea,as for some reason families with children seem to think its OK when they're kids run around like they're in a playground when on holidays.
The buffets at night were OK,though the food was only ever lukewarm.
One waiter worthwhile mentioning (at night buffets)was Eroni who was In Training,I found him to be delightful,engaging and enthusiastic.
The restaurant by the pool was nice though I think they should have a different menu for the night,or maybe some specials,to break the monotony.
The pools were nice, the family pool was huge.
We spent our time at the supposed "adults only" pool,it was a lovely infinity pool.I can relate to the other comments about the steps,but after a while it proved for light entertainment.It is a shame it was spoiled by children under 16 who obviously weren't content with their pool, which was 5 times the size of the adults pool...once again its up to the parents and obviously the staff to ensure this doesn't happen.
Also why have an adults only pool when everyone comes with their children to sit in the pods by it?
We had a false fire alarm...that took almost 2 hours to switch off.
The following night we had issues at around midnight with noises coming out of the alarm...which was sorted out promptly.
My suggestion also would be to check your bill,as we had been charged for 4 breakfasts(there were 2 of us) in the same morning.Someone else had charged their bill to our room,and the staff didn't bother to check the name until we bought it to their attention.
The Kama bar was lovely,but they need some kind of entertainment..like a band,if not there is not alot happening anywhere at the resort.
All in all,once they sort out these few problems I would definitely go back...

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
6 Thank Tobaja
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 25, 2009
Thank you for your posting and your constructive points for action.

We are making a concerted effort to manage children to ensure that those with and those without both have the opportunity to enjoy our facilities. It is a real shame some parents ignore our adults only signage poolside. We will be firmer with asking guests to respect others. The same applies in the restaurants where we do have the space to separate the families, so both have space and comfort to enjoy dinner.

Please accept my apologies for the fire alarm incident. There was a meltdown of the system and we were locked out so we were unable to silence it. Life safety was not compromised but the peace and tranquility was, I am sorry. I do hope that the bill errors were corrected. I will follow up on how they occurred to prevent the same mistake again.
I look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you once again for your custom and detailed commentary.

Neil Houghton

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (889)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
nz
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We stayed for 7 nights at the beginning of August, our 5th visit to Fiji.
Our pre-arranged pick-up worked without hitch and our check-in was smooth.
We had booked a beachfront room with 2 double beds via the icg website a few months ago. Then we noticed on TripAdvisor that they were only offering garden rooms in this category. Had hassles dealing with the resort on this matter but were told we’d be given a room with a partial view only a few steps to the beach. Unfortunately, we were given our worst nightmare – a room overlooking the pool and pool restaurant (noisy and not private). Some people would have loved it – we just hated it. The following morning we complained and Cameron Abbott (a senior staff member in charge of rooms) was just brilliant. He moved us to a room with a partial lagoon view which is in a quiet part of the resort overlooking Navo Island. A note for people wanting relative peace and quiet – the lagoon rooms are the way to go!
The resort is very well built with no noise transmission between floors, although obviously you do hear people when they are on their balcony, etc. The rooms are large, well furnished and equiped. All the toiletries you would expect from a 5 star hotel (including a shower cap which another poster couldn’t find!). These are replaced when used. Beds very comfortable and pillows excellent.
The resort is large and will be even larger when finished. There is no construction noise to annoy.
Housekeeping is patchy but this can always be a bone of contention, and not only in Fiji. Towels are not always replaced at the same time and one is often left wondering if and when the room will be cleaned. We were forgotten on one occasion. As someone else said, make clear what you need. One day I ran out of tissue so removed the empty box and left it on top of its decorative cover. No tissues replaced. So I rang twice. Eventually someone arrived with a replacement decorative cover – no tissues! I did get them eventually and it’s now a funny memory.
I recommend anyone to get their full duty free allowance (2 litres of spirits or 4 litres of wine or beer per person) and use the mini bar fridge. This will reduce costs immensely. The water in the taps is guaranteed pure and, frankly, it tastes better than water in most cities. Refill the first couple of bottled water (first 2 free then charged for). There is an ice maker in every block of bures so you can have nice cold water on hand at all times.
Now to food. Senior management really are listening to comments and admit that there have been issues with food. I think they are partially solved, the food ranges from very good to just acceptable. But quite honestly, you don’t go to Fiji expecting gourmet food. If you do, you’re better to go to the likes of Noosa, Melbourne and so on.
The Sanasana is the main one, offering buffet breakfasts and evening theme buffets, together with a small a la carte menu (which we didn’t try).
The breakfast buffet suited us fine. Good coffee, efficiently served except on our last morning when service went to pot. I also wondered if they were going to change to carafe coffee as cups were on the table. The buffet was good, though with a few odd choices on the hot section. However, there was plenty to choose from – omelettes were ok, but we always got perfectly poached eggs. Choices of fresh fruit were good, with a good selection of yoghurts and other things. The staff were lovely, well trained in the main and desperate to please.
We ate 3 evening buffets in the restaurant and, again, I think improvements may have been made although some people may have unrealistic expectations during this transition stage. We enjoyed the Monday night buffet which included a lot of island food like kokoda, palusami, taro etc. The seafood buffet was very good and we gorged on fresh oysters, prawns, slipper lobsters and 3 types of salmon. The Asian buffet was not as good but we always enjoy sashimi. These buffets were on a par to others we have had in Fiji – not brilliant, one needs to be selective.
Toba restaurant, sited between the 2 pools, seemed totally disorganised and the staff didn’t seem to know what was expected of them. They were having to deal with serving people at the 2 pools as well as the restaurant and they hadn’t got their act together. It was the only place we found a mistake on our bill. Food was only just OK and, as someone else said, there should be some daily specials to relieve monotony.
The Navo restaurant was beautifully sited, but expensive. Our waiter was totally professional and the food excellent. Only criticism was of the sides of salad and vegetables. Both bland and let down the otherwise high standards.
I only had one experience of room service. Loud knocks on the door and the bell ringing in the middle of the night. I thought there was a fire. Staggered to the door and a polite waiter said ‘here is your breakfast’. But I haven’t ordered any, says I. Are you sure, says he? Yes, perfectly sure, says I. Eventually I convinced him and staggered back to bed. I still wonder if the person ever got the ordered breakfast and hope it didn’t cause a missed flight. Funny memory number 2!
The pools are good, divided by the Toba restaurant. However, the Infinity Pool was supposed to be adults only. It wasn’t! And frankly, I don’t think it will be because of its position. Pity it wasn’t in a different part of the resort.
Which brings me to children – the resort was full of them and many were badly supervised. The best behaved ones we saw were in the Kids Club. So I would have to say it’s a great resort for families, but not for people wanting more peace and quiet.
Regarding bills, everyone can check their bills on tv. Do it everyday and you’ll pick any problems and be able to sort them. We did and knew the exact amount to be pay when we checked out. There were no funnies. Check-out was efficient as was our transfer back to the airport.
The beach was beautiful and great for long walks. Lovely sand which is washed every day by the tide which covers the whole beach at high tide. It’s largely undeveloped still, though there are some smaller resorts which look as though they are still being completed. The minus for me was the swimming. I like my water calm and clear. Though undoubtedly clean, there were always breakers and it was more like an ocean beach than the lagoons I love in Fiji. There is a reef, but it has a huge gap in it. We saw lots of people with surfboards.
The resort is isolated as others have said, but there are plenty of trips available. We would have liked a ride on the sugar train (which we only saw once) but they were combined with full day tours only. Maybe the resort could arrange some shorter trips starting at the resort. They could be fun and I’m sure would be popular.
Overall, it’s a good resort which is great for families and will get better. We know Fiji and know we need to relax onto ‘Fiji time’. The staff are friendly and, in the main, well trained and improving all the time. It’s a pity beachfront and lagoonfront suites and rooms are only available with king size beds. Our lagoon room had a partial lagoon view, but also looked on to other rooms thus eroding privacy. It’s also a pity that the Infinity Pool is not child-free, but even if it were, kids would only be steps away. Many people will love the surf – but it’s not for us.
To sum up, we enjoyed our short break away from Auckland’s winter. But for the above reasons, we are unlikely to return.

9 Thank nzlilibet
Thank you very much for your report. I am pleased that you raised your dissatisfaction on your bedroom early so Cameron was able to help you and change your view. Thank you too for your other remarks. We are just about to introduce a daily pizza/salad and sandwich/wrap in Toba Bar & Grill in order to increase the selection on offer.

Management of children is high on our agenda and we will do our level best to keep those with and without children apart. Our 35 acre site and kids facilities should allow us to do this without compromising either party’s experience.

Please accept my apologies for the breakfast wake up. I have no idea how this error happened, I am sorry it did to you.
I do hope you may be able to reflect and travel to visit us once again. We would welcome the opportunity.

Thank you again for your comments.

Adelaide
Reviewed August 13, 2009

We had made arrangements with the hotel before hand to be picked up from the airport, we were met by a lovely lady who presented us with a shell necklace, she then took us to where the taxi was waiting. The journey took around 45-50 mins.

On arrival at the hotel we were presented yet again with another shell necklace & a glass of juice & a cold face cloth to wipe our hands, it was a nice touch.

Check in was free & easy & we were walked to our room & shown where all the amenities were along the way.

Our room was lovely, it looked out on to the pool. It was clean & very well presented, we had fresh flower on the bed & around the room. The balcony had a fantastic bath, you closed the curtains for privacy. also had a day be & another relaxing chair.

We mostly ate in the Sansana restaurant, it had a buffet theme, each night it had a different theme, Italian, Indian, classical, all very good. I was dreading eating there after reading the previous reviews & especially as I'm a vegetarian, so we packed extra food in our suitcases as a precaution ! But...I have to admit, the food was excellent & there was plenty of choice but we did find it to be a little on the expensive side, it was $68 Fiji dollars each a night plus the drinks of top.

The Infinity pool was fantastic, the only downside to it was that you couldn't see the steps in the pool & on a few occasion I 'fell' in to the deep end as the step wasn't visible.
The waiter would come round offering you the menu e.t.c & every couple of hours they would come round with a cold face cloth, this was a nice touch.
There was a diving pool by the Infinity pool where you could learn to dive, we also hired a kayak with a glass bottom, it cost $15 & was well worth it to see all the fantastic fish in the coral reef, the only downside to that was that the staff at the dive center weren't very professional, the didn't tell you where to go or or gave you any tips or safety advice, they were quite happy for you to hire the kayak & just let you get on with it. Hubby went snorkeling everyday, the beach was a little sore on the feet, there was a lot of coral reef on the sand, so you have to be very careful when walking on it.

We went to the spa on afternoon & had a great time, we used the Wai Zone which was excellent but we did find the staff a little pushy, they wanted me to have a massage at $295 !

The only negatives I have is that we had no hand soap in our room & we had to phone 2 times just for a bar & it took them 4 hours to bring it, the housekeeping was very inconsistent, some days the room would be cleaned at 10am, other days it would be
4pm. The pathways to the rooms were very dark & need more lighting & by the end of our stay I was fed up in hearing the word 'Bula"!

In all we had a fantastic time & will definitely be going back there :-)

3 Thank Shazrazmataz
Thank you for your lovely comments and a few points for action. I really do value constructive points I can act on. I have already addressed with Reef Safari, the comment on assistance and direction to enjoy the reef fully. We are going to mark the step in the infinity pool, we have a plan but it is not straight forward without draining the pool. It will be addressed.

I have asked the enthusiastic spa team to hold back a little, they are keen as mustard to care for and relax all visitors. The feedback I receive on their delivery every day is very good indeed.

I would like to take this opportunity to comment on the food pricing – dinner in Sanasana Restaurant for the buffet is FJD$65 (today priced at US$32.50, AUD $40 or NZ$46). I genuinely feel this is reasonable. I know what the other resorts charge, I monitor their food and drink pricing. I know we are mid-priced currently, I will not name or shame the more expensive resorts. There are some factors such as the importation costs and import duty of 32% as well as excise on alcohol that dictate our pricing. Our intension is to be fair with our pricing, our location does not attract certain costs.

Finally, I am waiting for signoff to improve the lighting level around the resort, and I am working closely with the housekeeping team to improve our consistency and attention to detail.

I look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy our improvements.

Melbourne
Reviewed August 13, 2009

My wife and I have just returned from a wonderful 1 week holiday at the Intercontinental in Fiji.

Let me start by mentioning that after I booked the hotel under a non-refundable internet booking through Wotif, I discovered this site. While some reviews were very positive, many weren’t and I was very apprehensive about the trip. To add to this trepidation I was also coming down with a heavy cold and would have pulled out if I had not been committed financially.

Anyway after the dreaded overnight flight from Melbourne we arrived at the resort just before 9:00am, fearing that we would have to wait until early afternoon to get access to our room. At reception we were warmly greeted by the check-in staff, who had taken us down to the breakfast buffet restaurant, while they arranged our room. We weren’t feeling like anything and explained that we would simply like a cup of tea. When the staff brought us this they also offered us complimentary pastries. The duty manager then personally checked up with the check-in staff to see how our room was going. This was typical – everyone wanted to personally see that we were ok. The duty manager then informed us to go and see a lady at reception, which we did. She was constantly in touch with the cleaning staff and prioritized their routine to have us in our room by 9:45am. Given our wrecked state we were very grateful.

The room was absolutely fantastic!! A Beachfront room (in Bure 23) just near the infinity pool. Believe me when I assure you that the previous reports on here do not exaggerate the luxury of these rooms.

On our last day we enquired about a late check-out and we were very appreciative of the 3:00pm check-out – given the 6:30pm flight time out.

So in terms of service, I could not fault the staff. Also anyone who has been to Fiji before knows that the warmth of its people is one of the reasons why you return.

Previous complaints about the hotel food and value for money on this form were a major concern. Well Fiji is not really a culinary world capital and never will be. I have eaten better food for sure. But the food was very acceptable. As for value, I had no complaints. Try and buy similar food and drinks in an Australian 5 star hotel and you will pay a lot more. When I read complaints about the $ values on here I assumed that people had already converted costs to AUD. But FJD $8 for a beer or FJD $200 for dinner for 2 - entrees, mains, drinks (incl. a bottle of wine) – in their signature Navo restaurant is pretty damn good in my opinion. Try enjoying a beer for $5 or dinner for 2 in the best restaurant of a 5 star hotel for $125 back in Australia. Good luck !!

As a keen but inexperienced certified diver I had an awesome time in the care of Nath and Brooke at the hotel dive shop (operated by Reef Safari). This young couple took me out to some fantastic dive sites that they had discovered themselves around Natadola Bay. The Shark Dive off the Shangri-La is a must. The boat joins up with their Shangri-La boat for a joint dive to witness the feeding of the local predators.
Looking for a different pace my wife booked into the Day Spa and had a wonderful time their. Again she commented on how lovely the Fijian lady (Lucy) was.

On our last night we enjoyed one of the better Buffet Theme nights (Indian) and were surprised by the restaurant staff who gave us a memorable send-off with a traditional Fijian farewell song.

A few tips…

- Avoid the breakfast buffet – enjoy the a la carte options in the Toba Bar & Grill. It is cheaper, and the open air ambience is better. At FJD $25 the Continental breakfast is healthier, cheaper and certainly filling.
- Make sure you dine at the Navo at least once. It is very good food in impeccable surroundings.
- Make sure you have pre-diner drinks in the Kama Lounge at least once.
- Check out the Buffet and if you don’t fancy what’s on offer wander over to the Toba where you can choose a la carte. The staff don’t mind and we did this several times (my wife is vegetarian so we needed to see that she would be adequately catered for).
- Put more credence in the positive reviews – rather than the negative reviews. Unfortunately those with an axe to grind are perhaps more like to post, than the silent but happy majority.

6 Thank Diver_Mark
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 13, 2009
Bula

On behalf of the management team and staff, we thank you for the positive feedback.

Your sumptuous review is definitely a boost and hugely appreciated by each and every member of InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa.

Please feel free to email me (sanjeshni.nand@ihg.com) for any further enquiries or direct you to the appropriate departments to answer your queries.

Vinaka Vakalevu

Sanjeshni
NZ
Reviewed August 10, 2009

Brand new hotel, rooms glorious, design and pool ( there are 2 pools one adults only) layout fabulous. Rooms with private bath on verandah/balcony area romantic and different, a lot of thought has gone into the design.

Restaurants as good as anything in Fiji ,signature restaurant Navo wonderful location and 5 star service - could not be faulted the night we went.

Obviously the odd teething trouble as is normal with a new property, but minimal as far as we were concerned, and more than made up for by the wonderful Fiji staff and their smiling friendliness and willingness to help .

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank FijiFanNZ
Thank you for your kind comments. I look forward to welcoming you back.

Whitemans Valley, Upper Hutt
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Even though it is just opened, it is more then 5 star accommodation. You can not fault it. The place is just heaven, superb! They have thought of everything for a perfect relaxing stay.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ikkie56
Fiji_Staff, Sales Coordinator at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, August 10, 2009
Bula

On behalf of the management team, we thank you for the positive feedback. We are glad to make your stay a worthwhile one.

Vinaka Vakalevu

Sanjeshni
Sydney
Reviewed August 9, 2009

Bula!!!! What a beautiful hotel the Intercontinental Fiji Resort and Spa is. Nice layout and awesome infinity pool. I enjoyed my time of the trip with a glass of Fiji Gold. What could be better.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
2 Thank JTTaylor
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!