“Intercontinental Fiji”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed November 2, 2013

I stayed here for 6 nights & while it is a beautiful resort, I probably wouldn't return. I experienced just enough negatives to be put off this resort.
A big downer about this place was that there were men all over the beach out front who constantly pestered us to pay for a horse ride. It got to the point where I didn't even want to go & relax on or near the beach. All I wanted to do was close my eyes & relax, but I couldn't because we were approached every few minutes! If the resort were to stop this, I would consider returning.
Upon checking out my card was charged twice by the person on the desk who told me that the first transaction didn't go through, but it did & I am glad I checked my bank as soon as I arrived home. It was quite a large amount too, so I was really unhappy, & had to make phone calls back to the resort from Australia to have the problem fixed.
I also found that there was very little variety in terms of food choices in the resort, & because you are quite a fair way from anything, you don't really have a choice but to eat there. Upon arriving, it was late & we were starving so we went to the Tabo Bar & Grill. We waited 45 minutes for a bowl of chips, & there was no-one else waiting for food! It was quite obvious they took our order & then just forgot. The food wasn't the best at the eateries in the resort. The exception was the beautiful Navo restaurant. I had an absolutely amazing dinner & cocktails there, & our waiter was fantastic.
More on the plus side, the room was amazing. Located right out front of the beach, with a beautiful outdoor bath tub & sun lounges. The Kama Lounge is also a pretty cool place to chill out with a drink.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank buddybabylove
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2013

Bula buddybabylove,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed
the resort's luxurious facilities and gorgeous location.
Please be assured that we endeavor to ensure ultimate privacy for our guests whilst on our shores and I will be certain to forward this feedback on to our managers. I do apologise for the misunderstanding with your charges, I trust this has been resolved for you however do feel welcome to get in touch with me if you have any further concerns.

Thank you again for your review and we look forward to welcoming you on your return. Please feel free to contact me directly on scott.williams@ihg.com when you're looking at returning, or alternately you may be interested to book on our own website for the best prices, guaranteed.

Reviewed November 1, 2013

I am echoing previous reviewer's on great facilities and room. However, the service is astoundingly bad for a 5 star chain and for the price that we paid for a double room (close to AU$600). The pool was excellent, and bar staff in general were friendly and made very strong cocktails.

First: we booked the room to be ready at 2 PM, we arrived a bit later at 3 PM. Upon arrival, it wasn't ready. We were given free drinks (wine and coffee) at the Kama Lounge, and then waited for eternity until 5 PM. At 5 PM, we were getting antsy that this room was still not ready and spoke to the manager who gave us the free drinks, and the room was still being cleaned! So we said that we were tired and can we get some form of compensation (since nothing was offered to us)? We asked for free wi-fi for the 5 days we stayed with the hotel and the manager agreed. Told us that we just log onto the server and no credentials / code were required. Wrong. There were a few options for displayed upon selecting the wi-fi server, and we got conflicting answers whenever we spoke to the front desk. Upon check-out, we got charged TWICE for $80 (Fiji) for wi-fi and there is no record of the 'free' wifi despite previous reception desk staff reassuring us that this was noted on our records. The reception staff had to call managers to authorise the freebies and the manager asked us why it was free? We were fuming by this stage because: 1. The room was 3 hours late. 2. No compensation was offered apart from the lame free drinks. 3. The wi-fi instructions were not given in the first instance, and the 3 - 4 times we asked for instructions, we were given conflicting instructions. 4. The were no records for the free wifi in our room booking. 5. We had to explain why it was free and got charged twice upon checkout. In the end, after a discussion, we did get it taken off our bill.

Secondly: the service at the restaurants were shocking. Breakfast buffet: we had to wait to be seated after giving out our room numbers, this was a very slow process and we were given the worst seats at times and had to ask for a better table. Dinner: we had a large group of 20 and requested the tables to be joined. Again, the waiters were getting very impatient with us because we were talking amongst ourselves and said 'why don't you decide first and then tell us what you want to do?'. For a $90-plus per person restaurant, we expect politeness and gracefulness, not a snappy attitude. Water was not offered; we had to ask, and ask for refills. Finger washing bowls for seafood arrived randomly and not given to everyone who had seafood.

Lastly: taxi booking. We called reception and asked for a taxi, and was told the cost was $100 fijian for 4 people. We then rang later to confirm the cost and time, and reception had to call the 'taxi concierge' to verify the cost again. Turns out it was $150 after all. Why waste our time with incorrect quotes?

In summary: this hotel clearly suffers from a lack of consistency in service quality. Whether this stems from training regime, I don't know. But for $600 per night, we would expect efficient, effective and friendly service.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank angevineish
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2013

Bula angevineish,

Thank you for taking a moment to review your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to read that you encountered some issues while you were here, and wish to assure you that this does not reflect our usual high standards. If you would like to discuss any of these matters with further please do feel free to contact me directly on scott.williams.com. We value your feedback to ensure the issue does not reoccur and please be assured that your review has been passed on to the appropriate department heads to look into.

We would sincerely love to welcome you back to our sunny shores again for a stay reflective of our usual exceptional service. Please feel do contact me on the above address when you decide to return and I will see our team takes wonderful care of you.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great views and location but poor service and average food.
Typical of the pacific islands.

Rooms:
Nice and spacious with a lovely view of the beach. We stayed in Bure 12 - beachfront king suite.
Plenty of room for my husband and I and our little one to roam about the room when it was raining. Also took advantage of the outside cleopatra bath.
The hotel was able to accommodate our request for no feathers, due to allergies in the pillows, but unfortunately they still left the duck down filled doona on top.
This took several calls to get a replacement blanket which was a stained and hole filed velour blanket. Not very luxurious.

PortaCot:
On our first night we were told there were no mattresses for the portacot so they filed it with a feather doona. Hardly a safe or appropriate sleeping surface for an infant. They never called to let us know about an available mattress, and it was only when I saw a golf cart full of cot mattresses driving by that we were able to secure a safe sleeping surface for our child. That was 3 nights into our stay.

Pools:
Both pools were ridiculously cold. As a result there were not particularly enjoyable to spend a long time in, and far too cold for small children. My little ones lips were blue every visit.
I second another reviewer in the comment that is a shame the 'activity pool' is so shallow. There seems nothing in between, either adults only infinity pool or knee deep kids pool.

Beach:
Beautiful bay. Coral beach can be a bit rough under foot so some reef shoes are handy. The tide sweeps a far way out and comes in quite quickly so that people can be surfing where you were standing an hour ago.
A few locals roaming about offering, horse riding, village tours, and massages. Seem quite harmless and polite.
There is a shocking lack of hammocks in the whole resort. Sad because im partial to a relaxing swing in one. The resort should consider installing some.
Cabanas by the beach were often full of rubbish due to people having take away there and neglecting to clean up after themselves.

Room Service:
There was no room service menu in our room when we arrived. It took 2 days to get a new one. Each time we rang we were told that somebody would bring one. It never turned up. When we went to go and find one ourselves we were told there were none spare in the resort and that they would have to reprint one. This never eventuated. Finally we told the staff to get one from a vacant room. Lack of initiative!

The room service charge seems too much, especially when you call to have your tray removed and it stays for 12 hours. This occurred twice.
It is a separate charge in addition to your food, i think about $15 FJD.

Sanasana(main buffet Restaurant):
The buffet has a nice view of the ocean and vista of the hotel lawns/grounds.
The breakfast buffet is nice but the service lets it down. Coffee's are often forgotten, orders for coffees difficult to procure, and i found that the refilling of food stations to be quite slow. I have waited over 20 minutes for new pancakes, or hash browns.

We enjoyed the buffet theme dinners on 2 nights
Indian and Asian. Good variety of food, nothing spectacular.

Toba Bar/Grill(alfresco poolside dining):
Good Pizza and steak sandwiches. Ate most of our lunches from here.
2 dinners here as well.
Slightly annoying to be asked constantly if we had a 'reservation' when the restaurant wasn't even a quarter full and then asked to step aside for 15 minutes while they tried to find us a table. Plenty empty to be seen. It should be noted that the restaurant didn't get any busier during the course of the dinner.
Another comment about customer service, it appears that if the wait staff cannot address your request easily, they will simply ignore it eg. Asked for tobasco, several times ended up going up to the bar to get it myself and even then the bar tender was reluctant to give it to me.
I don't recommend you order anything with cream. The fettucine i ordered had an odd taste, i think it may be due to UHT products.

Navo(fine dining restaurant):
What a lovely evening we had here. We took an early sitting due to bringing our baby along. Dining for those with children is before 7pm. Perfect for sunset views.
We enjoyed a lovely selection of scallops, cray fish and prawns. The wait staff were attentive and keen to assist. I would strongly recommend you try dining here as often as you can.

Vatu Lo (Golf Club)
Caught the shuttle bus up for a change of scenery and some lunch. Lovely view and the greens do look good.
Lunch was disgusting. I laboured through a risotto and my husband chose the chill chicken salad. The risotto was a woeful re-heat of a frozen meal. Possibly made with UHT cream, tasted awful. The salad was pieces of chicken drowned in chilli sauce.
The waitress was wearing a pink hoodie over her uniform and was very disengaged. I also noticed that the greens keepers and other staff sat in the tables next to us eating their packed lunches. Save for the staff eating their lunch there was nobody else there. We couldn't leave fast enough.
I wouldn't bother eating lunch up there again.

Internet:
The internet is not freely provided.
You have to pay. Such a shame for a pricey resort. A lot of places I stay have this included in your room rate/resort fee.
The internet is so slow and unreliable even when you do pay. More the shame.

Non-Motorised sports:
Again another thing you have to pay for. It would be nice if something other than your room was included in the exorbitant rates. I have stayed at many resorts where these are complimentary. More pricing gouging from intercon.

Summary:
I would love to return back here and enjoy the beautiful Natadola bay. Unfortunately im not sure that the views make up for the poor service and average food. Intercontinental need to work on the whole package.
More effort in training staff to improve the customers experience is needed and I would not recommend the resort because of this. Happy to pay money for a nice experience but issues listed stop me from recommending this resort.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious with young children and beachfront has great views(map of resort included in my...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Pete x

Bula Pete x,

Thank you for taking a moment provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed both our stunning location here on Natadola Bay and the exquisite Navo Restaurant while you were with us. I was disappointed however to read there were aspects of your stay that did not compliment these wonderful experiences and wish to assure you that your feedback is valued and has been passed on to the appropriate department heads to address. The service aspects of your stay are certainly not reflective of our usual high standards, and it is important to us that our guests are both comfortable and well looked after while they are with us.

If you feel to discuss any of these points further please feel free to contact me directly on scott.williams.com. We would also love to welcome you back to our little piece of paradise for a perfect stay. Do let me know when you decide to return to our sunny shores and I will see that our team takes great care of you.

Reviewed October 30, 2013

This hotel has great facilities and rooms, it is the poor food and service that let it down. I was constantly contacted by, who I assumed were supervisors would ring my room and visit my room asking if I was happy with house keeping and my room service. I came here to get away from interruption so learnt very quickly to switch room phone to do not disturb and also ensure room also always displayed the do to disturb light when I was in the room. On my second day I was on the balcony and did not hear any knock on the rom door, next thing there is house keeper in the room, interesting as my room had already been cleaned! This lady was here to ask me if I was happy with the clean. Food is average and at the pool restaurant is just plain bad, I ordered salad twice and on both occasions it was dripping in oil. So very expensive for the very relaxed (3 star max) service and food that if was served in any stand alone restaurant would go out of business.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank taf14

Bula taf14,

Thank you for taking a moment to review us. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our luxurious facilities and spacious rooms at Natadola Bay. I was disappointed however to read that you experienced unexpected interruptions during your stay and I have forwarded this feedback, as well as that on your dining experience to our department heads to look into.

We would love to welcome you back to our little piece of paradise again for a perfectly relaxing stay. Please feel do contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see our team takes great care of you.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Fiji and my first and last time at the Intercontinental.

Our transfer from her Airport which was organised through the Hotel didn't turn up and we were forced to take a cab with no A/C.

We finally arrived to the Intercon and the entrance to the Hotel set a pretty high standard, with a cascading driveway which was dotted with stunning plants and well groomed lawns.

We were greeted with a half baked native Fijian welcome and directed to check in. Our room wasn't ready so we were told to wait down stairs in the kama lounge where we would receive a free cocktail. After waiting 20 minutes for our cocktail we started to get the vibe that service wasn't exactly a priority for this Hotel, but you get that everywhere in Fiji and I just assumed that this, being a 5 star resort, the workers would be trained to be more efficient in customer service. Boy was I wrong!

An hour in and our room wasn't ready so we went back up to the front desk to ask about out room and within a few minutes we were ushered to our room which was upgraded for us! AWESOME!

We paid for a Garden View room and received an Ocean View room which was spectacular. The resort is relatively new, so the rooms are kitted out pretty well with nice touches like bathroom speakers and twin shower roses, but that is to be expected for a 5 star Hotel right?
Internet had to be paid for and was about $80FJD for 5 days but is very slow and forever disconnecting.

After unpacking we decided to head to the Adults pool which was inundated with children due to the kids pool being closed down because of floating excrement, and as it turns out is just a normality there so it was hard to get the Infinity pool kid free during our stay.

The food was overpriced and definitely not 5 star, the orders would be wrong and after waiting over an hour for a Burger with only 6 other guests eating at the same Restaurant, you had to eat what was in front of you or wait another hour for them to rectify the issue.

Happy hour time! We headed to the Kama lounge for some drinks and only ended up getting 1 cocktail during happy hour because service was so slow, I twigged and started to order my second drink the very second I received my first, this way I'd only have to wait 10 or 15 minutes for my next drink! Works a treat if you have the patients of a saint!

We went to bed for our first night and we were woken by workers doing gardening outside our room at 1am under a portable flood light! Are you serious?

The following morning we went up to pay for the previous day and nights activity's (eating and drinking) as they don't do cash sales at any of the bars or restaurants and we had thousands of Fijian Currency that needed to be used so lucky for us the reception took cash for room charges.

Upon inspection of the notarized bill, we had been charged $700 for a room upgrade and twice for a 5 day internet package @ $80 each? Not so awesome after all.

The breakfast buffet was average and not 5 star, the coffee's would be ordered as you were seated and would arrive as you'd be leaving.

We were disgusted by the bullying of employees by their Boss who was from New Zealand and you could feel the tension in the air when ever he walked into a bar or restaurant, he was even rude to us, just making eye contact and ignoring our very existence as he rushed passed bee lining his next victim.

Sarah from the Toba bar was nice, she was engaging and very helpful our entire stay. She was energetic, positive and professional.

We were very limited on the activities the resort offered and thank god the rooms were up to par because that's were you'll spend most of your time if you stay here. The resort is located in the middle of no where so outsourcing activity's is just about impossible.

If you are into Golf, the hang onto your hats, this course was something out of a fairytale! It was the most breath taking thing I have ever seen! It boasted beach front par 3's and cliff top T offs. The workers up there are more lively, and what you'd expect from the stereo typical locals who are fun and make you feel welcome!

So in a nutshell, if you like to read books, subdued attitudes from employees, poor service, overpriced and substandard food then this place is for you, if you like service, quality food, fair prices, activity's galore then steer clear and head to The Outrigger!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Sam C

Bula Sam C,

Thank you for taking a moment to write a thorough review of your stay with us. I was thrilled to read you thoroughly enjoyed our Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course, as well as the relaxed serenity of the resort. I am however disappointed to read that you found aspects of your stay disagreeable, as your recounts are certainly not reflective of our usual high standards. If you would like to discuss any of these issues further please feel free to contact me on my email address: scott.williams@ihg.com.

Please be assured your feedback is valuable to us and I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team to ensure we consistently provide exceptional service to our guests. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for a stay reflective of the true InterContinental Fiji experience. Should you decide to return to our sunny shores please feel free to contact me on the above email address and I will personally ensure you're well looked after.

Reviewed October 29, 2013

Property is beautifully cared for. Staff is pleasant and helpful. Relaxing atmosphere. Enough space even when fully occupied. Was with a group of about 150 from Four Ambassadors Travel and all without exception thoroughly enjoyed their stay. Food choices were excellent. Good variety at breakfast. It is a distance from Nadi but the trip gives a good view of the island. We will return next year. The rooms are beautifully appointed with an extra outside whirlpool type tub on the terrace.

Room Tip: We stayed downstairs but rather have stayed on the second floor of the two level units where there w...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

Bula Dkommers,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was thrilled to read that you and the group had such a wonderful time at the resort. I was thrilled to read you had the opportunity to enjoy our resort's lovely facilities, as well as the genuine friendly nature of our staff - it is truly the people that make Fiji a memorable holiday destination.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the team who always look forward to hear from our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com once you've decided on your next travel dates and I will make sure the team takes great care of you once again.

Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in a Garden View room for 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. We were guests at a wedding and had a short family holiday.

The main positives were:
- The kids pool is magnificent. It is huge and the kids swam in it for hours and hours.
- Our room was very spacious and comfortable.
- The outdoor bath was great and was it was easy to bathe 3 kids at once.
- We had a beautiful dinner at Navo.
- The grounds and gardens are in fantastic condition.
- Staff were very friendly and great with kids.
- The crab races were a huge hit with the kids.
- The wedding chapel was beautiful and the fire dancing at the wedding reception was spectacular.
- The breakfast and dinner buffets were great.

The negatives were:
- As we were attending for a wedding, our 5 nights accommodation had been booked in 3 separate lots. No matter how many times we discussed this with reception, they did not seem to be able to connect the 3 bookings. This resulted in our keycards not working late one night.
- As expected, eating at the resort (which is necessary due to its isolated position) gets very expensive
- No free Wifi anywhere in the resort.
- At times service was slow even by Fiji time standards.
- It was quite windy every day - don't know if this is a standard occurrence.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Camreviews
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Bula Camreviews,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Natadola Bay. I was pleased to hear our you have a memorable stay and enjoyed so many aspects of the resort. Natadola is certainly a wonderful wedding destination.

I was disappointed to read that you found some aspects inadequate and I have passed your comments on to the team. It may interest you to know that all IHG Rewards Club members will be entitled to complimentary internet at the resort in 2014.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our home in paradise. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see the team takes wonderful care of you.

Kind Regards,
Scott Williams

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
#1 of 4 in Korolevu
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!