“Expect to be disappointed”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Expect to be disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Great views and location but poor service and average food.
Typical of the pacific islands.

Rooms:
Nice and spacious with a lovely view of the beach. We stayed in Bure 12 - beachfront king suite.
Plenty of room for my husband and I and our little one to roam about the room when it was raining. Also took advantage of the outside cleopatra bath.
The hotel was able to accommodate our request for no feathers, due to allergies in the pillows, but unfortunately they still left the duck down filled doona on top.
This took several calls to get a replacement blanket which was a stained and hole filed velour blanket. Not very luxurious.

PortaCot:
On our first night we were told there were no mattresses for the portacot so they filed it with a feather doona. Hardly a safe or appropriate sleeping surface for an infant. They never called to let us know about an available mattress, and it was only when I saw a golf cart full of cot mattresses driving by that we were able to secure a safe sleeping surface for our child. That was 3 nights into our stay.

Pools:
Both pools were ridiculously cold. As a result there were not particularly enjoyable to spend a long time in, and far too cold for small children. My little ones lips were blue every visit.
I second another reviewer in the comment that is a shame the 'activity pool' is so shallow. There seems nothing in between, either adults only infinity pool or knee deep kids pool.

Beach:
Beautiful bay. Coral beach can be a bit rough under foot so some reef shoes are handy. The tide sweeps a far way out and comes in quite quickly so that people can be surfing where you were standing an hour ago.
A few locals roaming about offering, horse riding, village tours, and massages. Seem quite harmless and polite.
There is a shocking lack of hammocks in the whole resort. Sad because im partial to a relaxing swing in one. The resort should consider installing some.
Cabanas by the beach were often full of rubbish due to people having take away there and neglecting to clean up after themselves.

Room Service:
There was no room service menu in our room when we arrived. It took 2 days to get a new one. Each time we rang we were told that somebody would bring one. It never turned up. When we went to go and find one ourselves we were told there were none spare in the resort and that they would have to reprint one. This never eventuated. Finally we told the staff to get one from a vacant room. Lack of initiative!

The room service charge seems too much, especially when you call to have your tray removed and it stays for 12 hours. This occurred twice.
It is a separate charge in addition to your food, i think about $15 FJD.

Sanasana(main buffet Restaurant):
The buffet has a nice view of the ocean and vista of the hotel lawns/grounds.
The breakfast buffet is nice but the service lets it down. Coffee's are often forgotten, orders for coffees difficult to procure, and i found that the refilling of food stations to be quite slow. I have waited over 20 minutes for new pancakes, or hash browns.

We enjoyed the buffet theme dinners on 2 nights
Indian and Asian. Good variety of food, nothing spectacular.

Toba Bar/Grill(alfresco poolside dining):
Good Pizza and steak sandwiches. Ate most of our lunches from here.
2 dinners here as well.
Slightly annoying to be asked constantly if we had a 'reservation' when the restaurant wasn't even a quarter full and then asked to step aside for 15 minutes while they tried to find us a table. Plenty empty to be seen. It should be noted that the restaurant didn't get any busier during the course of the dinner.
Another comment about customer service, it appears that if the wait staff cannot address your request easily, they will simply ignore it eg. Asked for tobasco, several times ended up going up to the bar to get it myself and even then the bar tender was reluctant to give it to me.
I don't recommend you order anything with cream. The fettucine i ordered had an odd taste, i think it may be due to UHT products.

Navo(fine dining restaurant):
What a lovely evening we had here. We took an early sitting due to bringing our baby along. Dining for those with children is before 7pm. Perfect for sunset views.
We enjoyed a lovely selection of scallops, cray fish and prawns. The wait staff were attentive and keen to assist. I would strongly recommend you try dining here as often as you can.

Vatu Lo (Golf Club)
Caught the shuttle bus up for a change of scenery and some lunch. Lovely view and the greens do look good.
Lunch was disgusting. I laboured through a risotto and my husband chose the chill chicken salad. The risotto was a woeful re-heat of a frozen meal. Possibly made with UHT cream, tasted awful. The salad was pieces of chicken drowned in chilli sauce.
The waitress was wearing a pink hoodie over her uniform and was very disengaged. I also noticed that the greens keepers and other staff sat in the tables next to us eating their packed lunches. Save for the staff eating their lunch there was nobody else there. We couldn't leave fast enough.
I wouldn't bother eating lunch up there again.

Internet:
The internet is not freely provided.
You have to pay. Such a shame for a pricey resort. A lot of places I stay have this included in your room rate/resort fee.
The internet is so slow and unreliable even when you do pay. More the shame.

Non-Motorised sports:
Again another thing you have to pay for. It would be nice if something other than your room was included in the exorbitant rates. I have stayed at many resorts where these are complimentary. More pricing gouging from intercon.

Summary:
I would love to return back here and enjoy the beautiful Natadola bay. Unfortunately im not sure that the views make up for the poor service and average food. Intercontinental need to work on the whole package.
More effort in training staff to improve the customers experience is needed and I would not recommend the resort because of this. Happy to pay money for a nice experience but issues listed stop me from recommending this resort.

Room Tip: Suites are spacious with young children and beachfront has great views(map of resort included in my...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank Pete x
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, November 7, 2013
Bula Pete x,

Thank you for taking a moment provide your feedback. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed both our stunning location here on Natadola Bay and the exquisite Navo Restaurant while you were with us. I was disappointed however to read there were aspects of your stay that did not compliment these wonderful experiences and wish to assure you that your feedback is valued and has been passed on to the appropriate department heads to address. The service aspects of your stay are certainly not reflective of our usual high standards, and it is important to us that our guests are both comfortable and well looked after while they are with us.

If you feel to discuss any of these points further please feel free to contact me directly on scott.williams.com. We would also love to welcome you back to our little piece of paradise for a perfect stay. Do let me know when you decide to return to our sunny shores and I will see that our team takes great care of you.

Vinaka & Kind Regards,
Scott Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (844)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013 via mobile

This hotel has great facilities and rooms, it is the poor food and service that let it down. I was constantly contacted by, who I assumed were supervisors would ring my room and visit my room asking if I was happy with house keeping and my room service. I came here to get away from interruption so learnt very quickly to switch room phone to do not disturb and also ensure room also always displayed the do to disturb light when I was in the room. On my second day I was on the balcony and did not hear any knock on the rom door, next thing there is house keeper in the room, interesting as my room had already been cleaned! This lady was here to ask me if I was happy with the clean. Food is average and at the pool restaurant is just plain bad, I ordered salad twice and on both occasions it was dripping in oil. So very expensive for the very relaxed (3 star max) service and food that if was served in any stand alone restaurant would go out of business.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank taf14
Bula taf14,

Thank you for taking a moment to review us. I was pleased to read you enjoyed our luxurious facilities and spacious rooms at Natadola Bay. I was disappointed however to read that you experienced unexpected interruptions during your stay and I have forwarded this feedback, as well as that on your dining experience to our department heads to look into.

We would love to welcome you back to our little piece of paradise again for a perfectly relaxing stay. Please feel do contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see our team takes great care of you.

Vinaka & Kind Regards,
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

This was my 3rd trip to Fiji and my first and last time at the Intercontinental.

Our transfer from her Airport which was organised through the Hotel didn't turn up and we were forced to take a cab with no A/C.

We finally arrived to the Intercon and the entrance to the Hotel set a pretty high standard, with a cascading driveway which was dotted with stunning plants and well groomed lawns.

We were greeted with a half baked native Fijian welcome and directed to check in. Our room wasn't ready so we were told to wait down stairs in the kama lounge where we would receive a free cocktail. After waiting 20 minutes for our cocktail we started to get the vibe that service wasn't exactly a priority for this Hotel, but you get that everywhere in Fiji and I just assumed that this, being a 5 star resort, the workers would be trained to be more efficient in customer service. Boy was I wrong!

An hour in and our room wasn't ready so we went back up to the front desk to ask about out room and within a few minutes we were ushered to our room which was upgraded for us! AWESOME!

We paid for a Garden View room and received an Ocean View room which was spectacular. The resort is relatively new, so the rooms are kitted out pretty well with nice touches like bathroom speakers and twin shower roses, but that is to be expected for a 5 star Hotel right?
Internet had to be paid for and was about $80FJD for 5 days but is very slow and forever disconnecting.

After unpacking we decided to head to the Adults pool which was inundated with children due to the kids pool being closed down because of floating excrement, and as it turns out is just a normality there so it was hard to get the Infinity pool kid free during our stay.

The food was overpriced and definitely not 5 star, the orders would be wrong and after waiting over an hour for a Burger with only 6 other guests eating at the same Restaurant, you had to eat what was in front of you or wait another hour for them to rectify the issue.

Happy hour time! We headed to the Kama lounge for some drinks and only ended up getting 1 cocktail during happy hour because service was so slow, I twigged and started to order my second drink the very second I received my first, this way I'd only have to wait 10 or 15 minutes for my next drink! Works a treat if you have the patients of a saint!

We went to bed for our first night and we were woken by workers doing gardening outside our room at 1am under a portable flood light! Are you serious?

The following morning we went up to pay for the previous day and nights activity's (eating and drinking) as they don't do cash sales at any of the bars or restaurants and we had thousands of Fijian Currency that needed to be used so lucky for us the reception took cash for room charges.

Upon inspection of the notarized bill, we had been charged $700 for a room upgrade and twice for a 5 day internet package @ $80 each? Not so awesome after all.

The breakfast buffet was average and not 5 star, the coffee's would be ordered as you were seated and would arrive as you'd be leaving.

We were disgusted by the bullying of employees by their Boss who was from New Zealand and you could feel the tension in the air when ever he walked into a bar or restaurant, he was even rude to us, just making eye contact and ignoring our very existence as he rushed passed bee lining his next victim.

Sarah from the Toba bar was nice, she was engaging and very helpful our entire stay. She was energetic, positive and professional.

We were very limited on the activities the resort offered and thank god the rooms were up to par because that's were you'll spend most of your time if you stay here. The resort is located in the middle of no where so outsourcing activity's is just about impossible.

If you are into Golf, the hang onto your hats, this course was something out of a fairytale! It was the most breath taking thing I have ever seen! It boasted beach front par 3's and cliff top T offs. The workers up there are more lively, and what you'd expect from the stereo typical locals who are fun and make you feel welcome!

So in a nutshell, if you like to read books, subdued attitudes from employees, poor service, overpriced and substandard food then this place is for you, if you like service, quality food, fair prices, activity's galore then steer clear and head to The Outrigger!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Sam C
Bula Sam C,

Thank you for taking a moment to write a thorough review of your stay with us. I was thrilled to read you thoroughly enjoyed our Natadola Bay Championship Golf Course, as well as the relaxed serenity of the resort. I am however disappointed to read that you found aspects of your stay disagreeable, as your recounts are certainly not reflective of our usual high standards. If you would like to discuss any of these issues further please feel free to contact me on my email address: scott.williams@ihg.com.

Please be assured your feedback is valuable to us and I will be sure to pass your comments on to the team to ensure we consistently provide exceptional service to our guests. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back for a stay reflective of the true InterContinental Fiji experience. Should you decide to return to our sunny shores please feel free to contact me on the above email address and I will personally ensure you're well looked after.

Warwick, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2013

Property is beautifully cared for. Staff is pleasant and helpful. Relaxing atmosphere. Enough space even when fully occupied. Was with a group of about 150 from Four Ambassadors Travel and all without exception thoroughly enjoyed their stay. Food choices were excellent. Good variety at breakfast. It is a distance from Nadi but the trip gives a good view of the island. We will return next year. The rooms are beautifully appointed with an extra outside whirlpool type tub on the terrace.

Room Tip: We stayed downstairs but rather have stayed on the second floor of the two level units where there w...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Dkommers,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was thrilled to read that you and the group had such a wonderful time at the resort. I was thrilled to read you had the opportunity to enjoy our resort's lovely facilities, as well as the genuine friendly nature of our staff - it is truly the people that make Fiji a memorable holiday destination.

I will be sure to pass on your lovely comments to the team who always look forward to hear from our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Please feel free to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com once you've decided on your next travel dates and I will make sure the team takes great care of you once again.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in a Garden View room for 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. We were guests at a wedding and had a short family holiday.

The main positives were:
- The kids pool is magnificent. It is huge and the kids swam in it for hours and hours.
- Our room was very spacious and comfortable.
- The outdoor bath was great and was it was easy to bathe 3 kids at once.
- We had a beautiful dinner at Navo.
- The grounds and gardens are in fantastic condition.
- Staff were very friendly and great with kids.
- The crab races were a huge hit with the kids.
- The wedding chapel was beautiful and the fire dancing at the wedding reception was spectacular.
- The breakfast and dinner buffets were great.

The negatives were:
- As we were attending for a wedding, our 5 nights accommodation had been booked in 3 separate lots. No matter how many times we discussed this with reception, they did not seem to be able to connect the 3 bookings. This resulted in our keycards not working late one night.
- As expected, eating at the resort (which is necessary due to its isolated position) gets very expensive
- No free Wifi anywhere in the resort.
- At times service was slow even by Fiji time standards.
- It was quite windy every day - don't know if this is a standard occurrence.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Camreviews
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Bula Camreviews,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Natadola Bay. I was pleased to hear our you have a memorable stay and enjoyed so many aspects of the resort. Natadola is certainly a wonderful wedding destination.

I was disappointed to read that you found some aspects inadequate and I have passed your comments on to the team. It may interest you to know that all IHG Rewards Club members will be entitled to complimentary internet at the resort in 2014.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our home in paradise. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see the team takes wonderful care of you.

Kind Regards,
Albury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

Wow- what a holiday. Have just returned from 10 nights at Intercontinental Fiji and had a wonderful time. Took my parents (in their sixties), daughter 20, husband and 3 year old grandson and the place was great for all age groups. This is going to be a lenghty review but the place deserves it.
FOOD:
Breakfast at Sanasana is great.
Dinner at Sanasana and Toba Grill is brilliant.
Did not get to Navo.
Had heard mixed reveiews- especially about cost. Full buffet breakfast was something like $49 fijian per person but here is the tip of day- become a IHG Priority Privelege member. It cost me $299 but I got discount on accommodation AND 50% off when two off us ate at any restaurant. So for 2 adults and a child to have full and fantastic buffet breakfast was $49 Fijian- something like $33 Australian!!!!! Same discounts apply for dinners and the themed buffets at Sanasana are wonderful- select your nights based on likes. Pizzas, pork ribs and the like at Tabo were great.
Accommodation:
Had a great garden view room. Beds are great- selection of pillows available. Bathroom lovely and the very large bath on the verandah was fantastic. Quality of towels and toiletries is luxurious. Our room attendant Disu was beautiful and soooo helpful. She always took a little extra time to check that everything was okay. We were in a Bure that was about the furthest from meals and reception but it was not a difficult distance- was very quiet with only the noise of the water rather than pool noise.
Beach:
Beautiful. Water is so clear, its what the marketing photos are all about. Purchase beach shoes for the kids and yourself if you can as walking on th coral that is washed up can be difficult, but well worth it.
Trips:
Arranged all through Concierge.
Malomalo School- beautiful kids and so hospitable. Always smiling and so proud of their school.
Sanasana Village- a bit of a walk but worth seeing how the locals live
Eco Park- great to hold lizards and snakes. Take the insect repellant.
Pottery Village- see the techniques ised by the ladies
Sigatoka Markets- is all fruit and veg with one small section of handicrafts with VERY pushy stall owners but the shops in Sigatoka provide all possible holiday kepsakes, carvings etc etc.
Billiblli races- we were lucky enough to be there for National Fiji Day and the Intercontinental arranged a trip to the local festivities. It was a great day, locals are all so proud of their culture- its wonderful to see.
Kids Club- activites are great. Facilities are fantastic. As my grandson is only 3 he had to have a Nanny to attend but this was $15 Fijian per hour for minimum of 3 hours- very affordable and he had his own Nanny- Sai- lovely lady who took wonderful care of him. All the staff were great.
Staff- all very helpful and accomodating. Any small problems were dealt with effectively and quickly. Scott the Manager is great. Special mention at this point to Weis (forgive the spelling)- he was on activities and was always smiling, Grandson misses him and wants to visit Weis again-gentle giant, so good with the kids and adults alike. Sam, likeable with a great smile and always there to help. Jo, took us to Eco Park and was like one of the family for the day and then for the rest of the trip.
Pools- family pool is huge so never felt crowded and there was alway a lounge to lie on. The adult only infinity pool is beautiful. Perhaps management could consider providing a small amount of shade over a section of the family pool as there is no escapiong the sun with a little one at high UV time- we found other things to do at this time, but I saw alot of kids getting sunburnt.
Spa- treatments are a little on the high side cost wise (about the same as I would pay in Australia), so not ridiculous but I like to be able to indulge a little more while on holidays. Having said that however, the treatment you receive and the facilities make it worth every cent.
Generally, Intercontinental is the pinnacle in regard to Fiji accommodation. All staff are wonderfully friendly and greet you with an enthusiastic BULA. The rooms are probably a little on the small side- for 2 adults and one child it was great but any more than that and it would get a little crowded but add the verandah and the great number of day beds scattered along the waters edge there is an abundance of room. Fact is that we only used the rooms for sleeping and showering.
Cannot wait to visit again. Thank you to everyione at Intercontinental for making out trip so memorable.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank givethegirlabreak
Bula givethegirlabreak ,

Vinaka vaka levu for taking the time to write your thorough (and very lovely) review. I was so pleased to read you and your family had a wonderful time with us, got to experience so many wonderful aspects of Fijian culture, and in particular joined us in Sigatoka for the Bilibili Race festivities!

I'm delighted you and your family have taken home lasting, fond memories of Fiji and we at InterContinental Fiji look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores int eh near future for a stay equally as delightful. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will ensure our team takes wonderful care of you.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed as a family of 3 during school holidays and were disappointed. The resort is large, but that makes it feel impersonal and it lacks Fijian friendliness. Everything was an extra cost, including Kids Club, non-motorised watersports and internet access. The family pool is shallow, so quite boring for older children. The resort is not near anything, so you are stuck there for meals and activities. Our room had a large frosted window by the door, which let in light day and night - very irritating.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bure 17, which was central and near the kids pool.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bula Ann S,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read you didn't find your stay on par with your expectations. With many complimentary components and privileges our Club InterContinental facilities seem ideal for your travel needs and we sincerely look forward to the opportunity to create the perfect holiday for you and your family on our sunny shores. Please feel free to get in touch with me personally on scott.williams@ihg.com when you're looking at returning to Fiji and I will ensure our team takes great care of you.

Vinaka & Regards,
Scott Williams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!