“Beautiful resort”

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Sigatoka
Reviewed October 21, 2013

We stayed in a Garden View room for 5 nights and really enjoyed our stay. We were guests at a wedding and had a short family holiday.

The main positives were:
- The kids pool is magnificent. It is huge and the kids swam in it for hours and hours.
- Our room was very spacious and comfortable.
- The outdoor bath was great and was it was easy to bathe 3 kids at once.
- We had a beautiful dinner at Navo.
- The grounds and gardens are in fantastic condition.
- Staff were very friendly and great with kids.
- The crab races were a huge hit with the kids.
- The wedding chapel was beautiful and the fire dancing at the wedding reception was spectacular.
- The breakfast and dinner buffets were great.

The negatives were:
- As we were attending for a wedding, our 5 nights accommodation had been booked in 3 separate lots. No matter how many times we discussed this with reception, they did not seem to be able to connect the 3 bookings. This resulted in our keycards not working late one night.
- As expected, eating at the resort (which is necessary due to its isolated position) gets very expensive
- No free Wifi anywhere in the resort.
- At times service was slow even by Fiji time standards.
- It was quite windy every day - don't know if this is a standard occurrence.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Camreviews
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 27, 2013

Bula Camreviews,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at Natadola Bay. I was pleased to hear our you have a memorable stay and enjoyed so many aspects of the resort. Natadola is certainly a wonderful wedding destination.

I was disappointed to read that you found some aspects inadequate and I have passed your comments on to the team. It may interest you to know that all IHG Rewards Club members will be entitled to complimentary internet at the resort in 2014.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our home in paradise. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see the team takes wonderful care of you.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Wow- what a holiday. Have just returned from 10 nights at Intercontinental Fiji and had a wonderful time. Took my parents (in their sixties), daughter 20, husband and 3 year old grandson and the place was great for all age groups. This is going to be a lenghty review but the place deserves it.
FOOD:
Breakfast at Sanasana is great.
Dinner at Sanasana and Toba Grill is brilliant.
Did not get to Navo.
Had heard mixed reveiews- especially about cost. Full buffet breakfast was something like $49 fijian per person but here is the tip of day- become a IHG Priority Privelege member. It cost me $299 but I got discount on accommodation AND 50% off when two off us ate at any restaurant. So for 2 adults and a child to have full and fantastic buffet breakfast was $49 Fijian- something like $33 Australian!!!!! Same discounts apply for dinners and the themed buffets at Sanasana are wonderful- select your nights based on likes. Pizzas, pork ribs and the like at Tabo were great.
Accommodation:
Had a great garden view room. Beds are great- selection of pillows available. Bathroom lovely and the very large bath on the verandah was fantastic. Quality of towels and toiletries is luxurious. Our room attendant Disu was beautiful and soooo helpful. She always took a little extra time to check that everything was okay. We were in a Bure that was about the furthest from meals and reception but it was not a difficult distance- was very quiet with only the noise of the water rather than pool noise.
Beach:
Beautiful. Water is so clear, its what the marketing photos are all about. Purchase beach shoes for the kids and yourself if you can as walking on th coral that is washed up can be difficult, but well worth it.
Trips:
Arranged all through Concierge.
Malomalo School- beautiful kids and so hospitable. Always smiling and so proud of their school.
Sanasana Village- a bit of a walk but worth seeing how the locals live
Eco Park- great to hold lizards and snakes. Take the insect repellant.
Pottery Village- see the techniques ised by the ladies
Sigatoka Markets- is all fruit and veg with one small section of handicrafts with VERY pushy stall owners but the shops in Sigatoka provide all possible holiday kepsakes, carvings etc etc.
Billiblli races- we were lucky enough to be there for National Fiji Day and the Intercontinental arranged a trip to the local festivities. It was a great day, locals are all so proud of their culture- its wonderful to see.
Kids Club- activites are great. Facilities are fantastic. As my grandson is only 3 he had to have a Nanny to attend but this was $15 Fijian per hour for minimum of 3 hours- very affordable and he had his own Nanny- Sai- lovely lady who took wonderful care of him. All the staff were great.
Staff- all very helpful and accomodating. Any small problems were dealt with effectively and quickly. Scott the Manager is great. Special mention at this point to Weis (forgive the spelling)- he was on activities and was always smiling, Grandson misses him and wants to visit Weis again-gentle giant, so good with the kids and adults alike. Sam, likeable with a great smile and always there to help. Jo, took us to Eco Park and was like one of the family for the day and then for the rest of the trip.
Pools- family pool is huge so never felt crowded and there was alway a lounge to lie on. The adult only infinity pool is beautiful. Perhaps management could consider providing a small amount of shade over a section of the family pool as there is no escapiong the sun with a little one at high UV time- we found other things to do at this time, but I saw alot of kids getting sunburnt.
Spa- treatments are a little on the high side cost wise (about the same as I would pay in Australia), so not ridiculous but I like to be able to indulge a little more while on holidays. Having said that however, the treatment you receive and the facilities make it worth every cent.
Generally, Intercontinental is the pinnacle in regard to Fiji accommodation. All staff are wonderfully friendly and greet you with an enthusiastic BULA. The rooms are probably a little on the small side- for 2 adults and one child it was great but any more than that and it would get a little crowded but add the verandah and the great number of day beds scattered along the waters edge there is an abundance of room. Fact is that we only used the rooms for sleeping and showering.
Cannot wait to visit again. Thank you to everyione at Intercontinental for making out trip so memorable.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank givethegirlabreak

Bula givethegirlabreak ,

Vinaka vaka levu for taking the time to write your thorough (and very lovely) review. I was so pleased to read you and your family had a wonderful time with us, got to experience so many wonderful aspects of Fijian culture, and in particular joined us in Sigatoka for the Bilibili Race festivities!

I'm delighted you and your family have taken home lasting, fond memories of Fiji and we at InterContinental Fiji look forward to welcoming you back to our sunny shores int eh near future for a stay equally as delightful. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will ensure our team takes wonderful care of you.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed as a family of 3 during school holidays and were disappointed. The resort is large, but that makes it feel impersonal and it lacks Fijian friendliness. Everything was an extra cost, including Kids Club, non-motorised watersports and internet access. The family pool is shallow, so quite boring for older children. The resort is not near anything, so you are stuck there for meals and activities. Our room had a large frosted window by the door, which let in light day and night - very irritating.

Room Tip: We stayed in Bure 17, which was central and near the kids pool.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Bula Ann S,

Thank you for your review. I was disappointed to read you didn't find your stay on par with your expectations. With many complimentary components and privileges our Club InterContinental facilities seem ideal for your travel needs and we sincerely look forward to the opportunity to create the perfect holiday for you and your family on our sunny shores. Please feel free to get in touch with me personally on scott.williams@ihg.com when you're looking at returning to Fiji and I will ensure our team takes great care of you.

Vinaka & Regards,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Stayed here years ago, and didn't have a chance to write a review. I would say its Brilliant, the service, room product, and the location just facing the beachfront. The hotel located in Natadola beach, approximately 45 min from the airport. The service is totally 5 star standard, huge hallway to the reception, we were greeted with the traditional flower necklace, and welcome drink is presented. Our room located in one of the block,facing kids pool. Each block had their own ice machine (located under the stairs) There also a cabby car available for your convenience.

The room was spacious, very modern, fully equipped with cleopatra bath on the balcony. The bathroom just simply elegant, my partner get enough space to do some make up. The bed was so comfortable. A complimentary fruit platter offered upon our arrival. What I found interesting is most of the bath supplies made from coconut, I guess coconut is everywhere in Fiji. The balcony fully equipped with sofa as well, which make everything better. The resort is so big, there were four different food outlet available, from the fine dining ala carte restaurant, to the snack bar. We did try the restaurant, the waiter fully knowledge about their product, there were a glass display where the host showed us what special of the day. On the following night we also tried the buffet, where It happens on Wednesday was a seafood night, I think its $60 FJD, it totally worth it, beverages are excluded. It also has two pools, one for the kids and for adult. Some of the water sport available through the concierge. The resort also famous for its golf course, so book it if you interested in.

This vacation was perfect for us to spend our quality time together. Fiji had numerous great resort, this is one of them.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Bula David S,

Thank you for your great review of your stay with us a little while ago. I was thrilled to read you found so many aspects of our resort delightful - the seafood buffet is certainly one of the most popular theme nights at Sanasana restaurant!

It was a pleasure to have you stay with us and we sincerely look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back to our sunny shores soon! Please feel free to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see that our team takes great care of you once again.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This resort is essentially two resorts in one: Club International, which is a selection of accommodation situated around the actual "club" complex, and the main resort, which is nearer to the main family pool, beach and resort restaurants.

We booked Club Intercontinental for most nights and finished our stay with interconnecting family rooms in the "main resort".

Club Intercontinental: our room was essentially a small unit, with 2 bedrooms, main bedroom had ensuite, the children had their own bathroom. A very large living room also overlooked a fantastic outdoor room with plunge pool. We really didn't need to venture out of our unit!

The staff at Club Intercontinental were fantastic. The complex itself allows you to eat and relax with internet facilities and its own horizon pool with a great view of the distant ocean.

Access to the club from main resort was really with a buggy. These were fun for the kids, however waiting time from the main resort up to Club Int during rain periods or after dinner was quite bad.

Resort restaurants: a different buffet theme each night at the main restaurant was a bit overpriced however had a good selection of food. Of course be prepared to pay extra for drinks. Breakfast buffet was very good and kids enjoyed the pancakes and waffles!

The pizza restaurant near the main pool is quite busy. Food not that great imo, and one eveing the wood fired oven was shut down (assume wasn't working?!)

Pools: along with the one at Club Intercontinental there are another 2 pools. The main family pool and an adults only horizon type pool near the beach. The main family pool is huge and we didnt have too much problem finding 5 recliners! The pool did shut down twice during our stay for 'water treatment'... who knows what happened then but I suppose at least they were on to it. We used the adult pool during those times.

Interconnecting rooms: these were disappointing in terms of how they 'interconnected'. We had two rooms at the edge of the corridor, with a main door (which has key card access) to close off both rooms. You really couldn't have both rooms doors open at a time as there was no air-conditioning in the hallway... the hallway itself was a bit exposes to the elements, so I fail to see how these were 'interconnected'. We were forced to divide up in this case with a parent in each room.

Beach: a great beach, warm clear water. Kids did some snorkelling which they enjoyed immensely.

Overall: a good family resort. Some niggles in service, disappointing "interconnecting" rooms, but fantastic Club Intercontinental product, service and experience.

Room Tip: Ask about the interconnecting setup. Maybe there are other configuration options?!
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family

Bula The_Argonaught,

Thank you for your wonderful review of your stay with us here at Natadola.
I was delighted to read you enjoyed the exclusive luxury of Club InterContinental - as Fiji's only ‘resort within a resort’ it certainly is a tranquil, intimate way to enjoy Natadola Bay.Our Club InterContinental Itokani (At Your Side) Butlers will be delighted to hear your wonderful comments and I will be sure to pass your feedback on.

I was also pleased to read you enjoyed time at the main area of the resort and appreciate the feedback you have offered about your room - I will be sure to pass this on. We look forward to sharing our little piece of paradise with you again soon. Please feel welcome to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to return and I will see our team takes great care of you.

Vinaka & Kind Regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Like most things in life - you get what you pay for. The intercontinental is not a cheap resort and if you are travelling with a family, I'd suggest staying at another hotel. However, if you are travelling as a couple, I would highly recommend this resort.

We recently stayed 5 nights and broke up our stay with two nights in a lagoon view room and 3 nights in a club room.

The lagoon view room was well appointed, quiet and private. I would definately recommend the lagoon or ocean view room as oppossed to a garden or pool view room. All rooms seem to have an outdoor bath, therefore, the privacy of the lagoon view room was nice.

Staying in the Club room felt like staying in your own exclusive resort. We had our own plunge pool which I would highly recommend. The floor space of the club rooms are huge compared with other rooms.

The facilities of the resort are fantasic. Nice adults only pool and club pool, we didn't venture into the main pool which caters mainly to families.

The resturant's are limited. Toba is pretty good. However, if you can afford the price, I would go to Navo each night depending on the length of your stay. There are no other resturants close to the resort that I'm aware of.

The club room offers free canapes and drinks between 5:30pm to 7:30pm each night. The view and sunset from the club room is second to none.

The only real negatives of the resort is the (Fiji Time) service, while friendly, is still slow...although not as bad as other Fijian resorts that I have stayed. The exemption being the service in Navo restaurant which was excellent. The complimentary glass of sparkling for our one year wedding anniversary was a nice touch.

The other issue, which I'm sure has been mentioned in other reviews, is the wind. We had perfect sunny days at 30 degrees; however, the wind chill factor did make the pools a litle cool at times due to the position of the resort and lack of wind protection.

All, in all, a very pleasant stay and I would definately come back.

Room Tip: If you can afford the price - stay in a club room or lagoon/ocean view room.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Bula Vinaka Mike W,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to experience accommodation at both the main resort and at Club InterContinental. I was also delighted to read that we were able to make your special occasion, your one year wedding anniversary, memorable at Navo Restaurant.

I will be sure to forward your feedback to the team who are always looking forward to feedback from guest as we continuously seek to enhance guest experiences.

Please feel free to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your next visit to your little home in paradise and I will see that the team here at the resort takes wonderful care of you once more.

Reviewed October 15, 2013

My mum and I attended a family friends wedding here last week and it was magical! We stayed in a garden view Bure, though we were on the top floor (each Bure has 2 levels) which afforded us nicer views than just your own garden. We were in block 24 and from our balcony, there was also a partial lagoon view. If you have the money, it's worth investing in an ocean or lagoon view, however you certainly won't miss out by staying in a garden room.
The rooms were very spacious and clean and Pure Fiji amenities were wonderful! The Porters were also fantastic and it's definitely worth getting a lift to/from your Bure at some point during your stay just for the short but enjoyable experience.
The Porter that took us to our rooms initially upon check-in was Seymour and he was wonderful - carried our bags up the stairs and in to the room with his 'Fiji muscles' as he put it!
The only downside would be upon arrival we quickly discovered 'Fiji time' with check-in taking over 30mins! However, the staff were all exceptionally friendly (there was one grumpy waitress in the Sanasana restaurant on 12 Oct) with Bula's all around! The Spa was also wonderful and definitely worth a visit.
We had buffet breakfast included in our accommodation cost and the breakfast is amazing (chefs are so lovely! Definitely try out the omelette station at breakfast and ice-cream station at the dinner buffet!).
As stated in the review by Marlene, this is pretty much a self-contained resort - about an hour from Nadi (pronounced Nandi) so it a little removed from other activities (though you can go on tours with pickups from the hotel - we did a tour that left from the Denaru Marina and were picked up and dropped back to the hotel).
Also, be prepared to meet locals on the beach who will try to sell you everything from coconuts to drink from, to horse and boat rides and trips to the local village. They are however very lovely to speak with and will respect your wishes if you choose to move on. (If you see ‘Wams’ on the lagoon side of the beach, say hello for me!).
If we ever return to Fiji with the rest of the family - and if we had the money - I'd definitely stay here again and probably take up Wam’s offer to visit the local village (if you do plan on visiting a local village, please take the children something little – coloured paper is in high demand I believe as are stickers, coloured pencils etc).
The only reason for the 4/5 rating for sleep and cleanliness was I found the pillows awfully hard to get comfortable on - they are way too soft and don't support your neck at all - and the shower screen door did not appear to be properly cleaned upon arrival. <--That is deliberately trying to find something constructive to put in this review! Our overall experience was still magical.
Vinaka to the Intercontinental staff for making our short stay so amazingly enjoyable!

Room Tip: If you're staying in a garden view Bure, ask for one on the top floor (each Bure has 2 floors)
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Bula Vinaka TSS3,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I was thrilled to read you had a magical experience with us on Natadola Bay and that you found so many aspects so wonderful. The Fijian people are truly the happiest people on earth with their genuinely friendly nature.

I have passed your lovely comments to the team who appreciate your feedback, thank you.

We would love to have you visit us again on the sunny shore of Natadola Bay. Please do not hesitate to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your next travel dates and I will see that the team takes great care of you once again.

Scott Williams

Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
#1 of 4 in Korolevu
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!