“Stay Club Intercontinental - If you can afford the price” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa

InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Sydney, Australia
“Stay Club Intercontinental - If you can afford the price”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

Like most things in life - you get what you pay for. The intercontinental is not a cheap resort and if you are travelling with a family, I'd suggest staying at another hotel. However, if you are travelling as a couple, I would highly recommend this resort.

We recently stayed 5 nights and broke up our stay with two nights in a lagoon view room and 3 nights in a club room.

The lagoon view room was well appointed, quiet and private. I would definately recommend the lagoon or ocean view room as oppossed to a garden or pool view room. All rooms seem to have an outdoor bath, therefore, the privacy of the lagoon view room was nice.

Staying in the Club room felt like staying in your own exclusive resort. We had our own plunge pool which I would highly recommend. The floor space of the club rooms are huge compared with other rooms.

The facilities of the resort are fantasic. Nice adults only pool and club pool, we didn't venture into the main pool which caters mainly to families.

The resturant's are limited. Toba is pretty good. However, if you can afford the price, I would go to Navo each night depending on the length of your stay. There are no other resturants close to the resort that I'm aware of.

The club room offers free canapes and drinks between 5:30pm to 7:30pm each night. The view and sunset from the club room is second to none.

The only real negatives of the resort is the (Fiji Time) service, while friendly, is still slow...although not as bad as other Fijian resorts that I have stayed. The exemption being the service in Navo restaurant which was excellent. The complimentary glass of sparkling for our one year wedding anniversary was a nice touch.

The other issue, which I'm sure has been mentioned in other reviews, is the wind. We had perfect sunny days at 30 degrees; however, the wind chill factor did make the pools a litle cool at times due to the position of the resort and lack of wind protection.

All, in all, a very pleasant stay and I would definately come back.

Room Tip: If you can afford the price - stay in a club room or lagoon/ocean view room.
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Mr_Scott_Williams, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, October 27, 2013
Bula Vinaka Mike W,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was pleased to read that you had the opportunity to experience accommodation at both the main resort and at Club InterContinental. I was also delighted to read that we were able to make your special occasion, your one year wedding anniversary, memorable at Navo Restaurant.

I will be sure to forward your feedback to the team who are always looking forward to feedback from guest as we continuously seek to enhance guest experiences.

Please feel free to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your next visit to your little home in paradise and I will see that the team here at the resort takes wonderful care of you once more.

Scott Williams

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (836)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013

My mum and I attended a family friends wedding here last week and it was magical! We stayed in a garden view Bure, though we were on the top floor (each Bure has 2 levels) which afforded us nicer views than just your own garden. We were in block 24 and from our balcony, there was also a partial lagoon view. If you have the money, it's worth investing in an ocean or lagoon view, however you certainly won't miss out by staying in a garden room.
The rooms were very spacious and clean and Pure Fiji amenities were wonderful! The Porters were also fantastic and it's definitely worth getting a lift to/from your Bure at some point during your stay just for the short but enjoyable experience.
The Porter that took us to our rooms initially upon check-in was Seymour and he was wonderful - carried our bags up the stairs and in to the room with his 'Fiji muscles' as he put it!
The only downside would be upon arrival we quickly discovered 'Fiji time' with check-in taking over 30mins! However, the staff were all exceptionally friendly (there was one grumpy waitress in the Sanasana restaurant on 12 Oct) with Bula's all around! The Spa was also wonderful and definitely worth a visit.
We had buffet breakfast included in our accommodation cost and the breakfast is amazing (chefs are so lovely! Definitely try out the omelette station at breakfast and ice-cream station at the dinner buffet!).
As stated in the review by Marlene, this is pretty much a self-contained resort - about an hour from Nadi (pronounced Nandi) so it a little removed from other activities (though you can go on tours with pickups from the hotel - we did a tour that left from the Denaru Marina and were picked up and dropped back to the hotel).
Also, be prepared to meet locals on the beach who will try to sell you everything from coconuts to drink from, to horse and boat rides and trips to the local village. They are however very lovely to speak with and will respect your wishes if you choose to move on. (If you see ‘Wams’ on the lagoon side of the beach, say hello for me!).
If we ever return to Fiji with the rest of the family - and if we had the money - I'd definitely stay here again and probably take up Wam’s offer to visit the local village (if you do plan on visiting a local village, please take the children something little – coloured paper is in high demand I believe as are stickers, coloured pencils etc).
The only reason for the 4/5 rating for sleep and cleanliness was I found the pillows awfully hard to get comfortable on - they are way too soft and don't support your neck at all - and the shower screen door did not appear to be properly cleaned upon arrival. <--That is deliberately trying to find something constructive to put in this review! Our overall experience was still magical.
Vinaka to the Intercontinental staff for making our short stay so amazingly enjoyable!

Room Tip: If you're staying in a garden view Bure, ask for one on the top floor (each Bure has 2 floors)
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Bula Vinaka TSS3,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I was thrilled to read you had a magical experience with us on Natadola Bay and that you found so many aspects so wonderful. The Fijian people are truly the happiest people on earth with their genuinely friendly nature.

I have passed your lovely comments to the team who appreciate your feedback, thank you.

We would love to have you visit us again on the sunny shore of Natadola Bay. Please do not hesitate to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your next travel dates and I will see that the team takes great care of you once again.

Nadi
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

We stayed here for a wedding, took 2 rooms for the family. Arrived early for the Chinese Tea Ceremony and then checked in around noon. Was told rooms not ready and check-in time was 2pm so we went to the pool area for a swim and lunch. Family pool was fantastic and the kids loved it even though it was cloudy and a bit cool. At 2pm we checked with front desk, disappointed room not ready, by 2.45pm we were getting worried because the wedding ceremony was at 4pm ... sad to say we finally got our room after 3pm and missed the wedding ceremony (difficult to get 4 adults and 3 children ages 2yr to 8yrs ready in less than 01 hour). We made it to the per-dinner cocktails but found it strange that there was no bar set up and had to hunt down a waiter to order our drinks then wait another 30mins for it to arrive. It was the same during dinner! I managed to get only 3 drinks the entire time. The food was OK nothing to rave about, the entertainment was great but the service from the wait staff was poor. It was the same when we went for breakfast (Sanasana Restaurant) the next morning. After seating us at a table, it was very difficult to find someone to place our order for coffee - yes, it was busy and all the wait staff were busy clearing and setting up tables for new arrivals ... so I decided to go to the coffee station to order it myself only to be told it was 'staff only'. So, no coffee. About an hour later I managed to place an order and waited 30mins for it only to discover it was lukewarm. I checked out and drove to The Terraces where I brewed myself some coffee!

I did not enjoy my short stay. This was a highly anticipated trip and started well with the Reservations team being so helpful. On arrival the porters were so friendly then the spectacular view of Natadola Beach. The kids loved the pool and I found the pool bar and cafe staff more efficient than the rest. Unfortunately it went downhill when the rooms were not ready at 2pm and missing the wedding ceremony. I am still upset about this!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gemgem_11
Bula Vinaka gemgem_11,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. While I was pleased to read your resort experience begun well, I was disappointed to read that you didn't find the rest of your stay as wonderful. I have forwarded your feedback on to the team as the satisfaction of our guests is our priority. Please also feel free to contact me directly on scot.williams@ihg.com if you would like to discuss any of these points further and we do hope we will see you on Natadola's sunny shores again in the future.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Attended a friends wedding. It was truly a magical experience. The resort exceeded our expectations. Excellent facilities and extremely friendly staff. The restaurants served great food and mixed fantastic cocktails. For total relaxation this is the perfect place. However, it is about an hour away from other attractions so rather remote. Also, if you are addicted to shopping perhaps not a perfect place for you.

Room Tip: We stayed in a garden view room which was excellent. However, if money is of no object pick one of...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Sunlover Holidays

1 Thank Marlene S
Bula Marlene S,

Thank you for your short but lovely review of our resort. I was delighted to read that you had such a wonderful time at our resort and enjoyed the variety of cuisine served at our restaurants.
I will be sure to pass your compliments on to the team who are always looking forward to hearing from our guests. Also, it may interest you to know that we have recently renovated existing and opened new retail stores on site for the in-house shopaholics. You may need to return for a browse!

Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your travel plans ans we would be thrilled to welcome you back to the sunny shores of Natadola Bay.

Suva, Fiji
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have now stayed, on different occasions, to the beachfront rooms, the garden rooms and the Club rooms with a private plunge pool. On first contact with Intercon, I fell in love with the place and it remains my favourite spot on the main island today. I love the attention to detail, the decorations, the gardens and how everything is tidy and taken care of. I also love the appointment of the rooms, the furniture, the Cleopatra baths on the veranda, even the smell of everything. I also recommend trying the Spa.

Natadola, with its small river delta, is possibly the most beautiful beach on the main island, and you'll love the sunset with a cocktail in hand. Should you prefer a pool though, you have a choice of two, with a huge pool with jets for families with kids and a beautiful infinity pool for adults only. You also get a pool at the Club area of the resort, just for Club guests. The rooms are all similarly appointed and besides space, you wouldn't miss on much if you opt to go for the cheaper options. However, if you budget can cover it, the adults-only Club is quiet and more exclusive and would be my preferred choice next time. See you again soon, Intercon!

Room Tip: If you watch your budget, go for a garden room, they're fine. If you want quiet, go for Club.
2 Thank Eberor
Bula Vinaka Eberor,

Thank you for your lovely comments about our resort. I was delighted to read that we have been able to share our little piece of paradise with you on so many occasions - the spa is a wonderful experience isn't it.

I will be sure to forward your wonderful comments through to the team who are always excited to hear from our guests. Please feel free to email me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide to getaway to the sunny shores of Natadola and I will see that the team takes wonderful care of you once again.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 13, 2013

We came as a couple for a great 9 day stay, overlapping the Australian school holidays. We will certainly time that better next time!
We were used to the hustle and bustle of the Asian holidays, so were very pleased with the relaxed, no hassle experience at Nadi Airport - much like landing at Hobart! The hotel had arranged transport, and the taxi was waiting for us. He even popped into Nadi town for us when we realised that the passage through the airport was so easy that we had forgotten to change money.
The hotel is located on Natadola Beach, 50 minutes from the airport, is huge, and is fully self contained. There are a couple of older, smaller and cheaper resorts sharing the beach, and these have restaurants horse rides and beachside massage as an alternative to the intercontinental, but otherwise not much of "local village" flavour. The hotel does attempt to provide a Fiji experience, but this seemed rather refined.
We came primarily for a break and to earn our Open Water Scuba Certification here in an upmarket resort, so our aim this time was not necessarily to experience an authentic ground-level cultural exchange. We did enjoy the luxury, and certainly enjoyed learning to dive with Reef Safari, located in the hotel (see my separate report on this).
The hotel is really two resorts, the larger more expected international-style resort (albeit with Fijian-inspired architecture, furnishings and food) with large pools, restaurants and the beach; and a somewhat smaller, quieter (remember the school holidays?) and more personalised Club Intercontinental, where we stayed. Yes, we paid more for this, but the extras were worth it (drinks and canapés, quieter main pool, private plunge pool, afternoon teas, personalised butler service, soft drinks in minibar). And did I mention the school holidays? While there were families at the Club, children were restricted and far less boisterous here. With loyalty club membership and a priority club card, the special discounts made this an affordable choice.
The room was great. While we were initially disappointed that the Club rooms did not afford great views, despite being located on a high plateau. All rooms are in 6-room "bures" (3 with plunge pools on the ground floor and 3 without, but with better views, upstairs). Naturally, the luxury of our own plunge pool meant we could not be on the second floor. We had a glimpse of the sea from room 2912 as it was located behind other bures.
We soon realised, however, that the wind here could be very strong in October. We became grateful for the protected position of our room, which enabled us to actually use the plunge pool (the water is quite cool in October), and we learnt to get the most of the glimpses from our room. The sliding doors (both glass and wooden shutters) opened cleverly to virtually provide a single indoor-outdoor space, or separate, private, bed and sitting rooms.
The greatest attraction was the Club Lounge. This did have spectacular views, overlooking the Club Pool, of glorious sunsets, enjoyed over a 2-hour adult-only cocktail session (drinks and canapés included). The staff here were exceptional. They knew our names, almost from day one, and our favourite drinks. Breakfast was also served here, and was delicious. If time and inclination was there, so too was a great afternoon tea.
The evening meals, however, were a bit more problematic. The signature restaurant, Navo, was exemplary, and deserved to be a great night out. After a day of scuba and then canapés we felt we were not able to do it justice.
Unfortunately, the alternatives did not impress. The Sanasana restaurant was a buffet and had an atmosphere a bit like a cafeteria (did I mention the school holidays?). We never returned! Toba, a poolside bistro that does great pizza, was great for lunch. In the evening it too was overwhelmed (no drink after 45 minutes so I went to the bar and got it myself). In neither restaurant did the staff look like they wanted to be there. Room service meals were limited, and did take 45 minutes, but were what was left. Next time, we will try the restaurants in the adjacent resorts. They looked OK.
So, all in all, a great holiday, in a great resort. Try to avoid school hols. Definitely stay at the Club. Say Bula to the staff there from us! Bula Vinaka.

Bula Vinaka Georges o51,

Thank you for taking the time to review our resort. I was pleased to read that you had a wonderful time at our resort and enjoyed the personalised service of our Itokani Butlersat Club InterContinental. I was also delighted to read that you were able to earn your Open Water Scuba Certification with our on-site dive centre and had the opportunity to experience Fiji’s spectacular underwater world.

I will definitely pass your feedback to the team who are always looking forward to hearing from our guests. We wish to welcome you back to this little piece of paradise we call home.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you plan your next beachside escape and I will see that the team here at the resort take great care of you once again.

Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

Our family (two adults and two children) has just returned from our fourth annual trip to the InterContinental Fiji. As usual, we didn't want to leave. This year we enjoyed lagoon-view interconnecting rooms and agreed they were the best so far. If we were to make suggestions, it would be to please add sushi to the everyday menu available for poolside lunches. Also the chance to purchase morning and afternoon teas. We enjoyed complimentary high teas "up the hill" last year, so great if they were available to purchase near the family pool please. Love staying at the InterContinental but wish the lunch options were more varied. Thanks for another great stay.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Bula Vinaka Penny L,

Thank you for taking a moment to review our resort. I was thrilled to read that this was your fourth trip to the sunny shores of Natadola and that now it has become an annual beachside escape for you and your family. In your next visit I highly recommend our new 5 day Spa Journey at Spa InterContinental. It is the Ultimate solution for pure relaxation and rejuvenation.

I will be sure to pass your comments to the team who are always looking forward to feedback
from our guests as we endeavour to continuously enhance guest experiences.

It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to your little home in paradise for a fifth visit. Please feel free to contact me on scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on your next travel dates and I will see that the team takes great care of you once again.

Scott Williams
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
#1 of 9 in Sigatoka
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!