“Fiji Time!”

Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Sigatoka
Detroit, Michigan
“Fiji Time!”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I’ve been a member of trip advisor for a few years now. I normally use it to just scan reviews and get ideas on locations and what other travelers are saying. Some reviews have been useful; others have been either biased or written by individuals scorned by one or more unfortunate experiences that have had a catastrophic effect on their entire trip. Regardless of their experiences, I was able to “cherry pick” the good as well as the bad which normally resulted in either an average or an above average experience. Normally, I travel for business,therefore, my hotel selections are normally made for me and my long hours often precluded me from experiencing the local culture. However, when the opportunity to take a trip of a lifetime to Fiji, I wasn’t going to sell myself short and wanted to experience something extraordinary. The Intercontinental Fiji has redefined the resort experience as I knew it. I am not one that looks to be spoiled or demand “5 star treatment” when traveling. Additionally, I am turned off by snobbish attitudes by my some of my fellow travelers and certain segments of the travel industry alike. As a Platinum Royal Ambassador member of the IHG Group for the past 7 years, I just expected a routine upgrade or a special perk , however, what I received was much much more. A word of advice for those considering staying at this property is always ask questions prior to your arrival. E-mails to the property were always responded to quickly and clearly which lessened the anxiety of traveling 7500NM. One hidden charge that still leaves a bad taste is the 3% surcharge on your final bill, the hotel imposes if you decide to use a Credit Card.There is sign clearly stating that fact when you check in, but, there is no way around it and consequently no real explanation on what exactly it is for. The fee is not applicable if you use cash or local currency card upon checkout. This was the only downside to otherwise a truly remarkable experience.

It was suggested to rent a car by many trip advisor contributors, but, for me, that was not the best option because I would have missed the great scenic drive. Even as a seasoned traveler, I don’t like driving on the left side of the road. I am sure I would have got used to it after a few “Close calls” but, I did not want to start off my vacation filling out an accident report. So we opted to use the Hotel transfer (300.00FJD!!!!). However, it was in a Luxurious Land Cruiser with an extremely courteous, proud, and professional driver. He welcomed us with “True Fijian hospitality”, and until our encounter with him, we did not even know what that truly meant. Be prepared to be impressed as you past by the villages and communities along the 25 mile stretch. You’ll see sugar cane fields, small towns, road side stands filled with locals selling fresh produce, children neatly dressed in uniforms of their respective village schools heading to class, horses tethered unattended to road side hitching posts, cows and goats grazing roadside, and yes surprisingly a McDonalds and Gloria Jeans Coffee house has managed to grace this beautiful landscape, notwithstanding, they are considered a luxury for most Fijians. The Luxury Private transfer offers a unique perspective for those not familiar with this Southern Pacific Paradise. The trip was easy, quick and informative that you hardly noticed the rough road conditions or the speed limits or speed bumps that were present at nearly every village you transgressed through. I am sure that the speed bumps were there for safety of the locals that lived in the area, but, it allowed you to see the “Smiles” most Fijians are known for, even the horses seem to wink as we passed by. The ride will put you at ease after a nearly 11 hour trip from the Western US gateway of LAX and over hour wait though the immigration, baggage retrieval and customs processing. It was at the airport we truly learned what “Fiji Time” really meant! Was the “Luxury Private Transfer” worth $300FJD? That’s hard to say… probably not. We arranged for a taxi for the return trip which was equally as nice at half the cost.

Our arrival on the property was breathtaking. We were booked into an Intercontinental Club Suite so therefore we were taken to the Intercontinental Club for check-in via golf cart. Our driver Jane was definitely the highlight of the trip. But she was just part of the cast of superb characters that made this trip so enjoyable. She is just one of the many Intercontinental Club Butlers that “pampered” us during our stay. I highly recommend booking the IC Club rooms just to experience their hospitality, charm, grace, professionalism and culture. The only downside were that the rooms (at least on the Club Level) do no offer Wi-Fi, however they all do offer high speed connections through Ethernet connections and the IC Club house/pavillion offers Wi-Fi . You’ll be spoiled by the amazing views and each Bure offered a unique and spectacular view overlooking the property. But the open air Club pavilion and infinity pool, in my humble opinion, offered the best views of Navo Island, the Lagoon, the Natadola Beach and Bay. As a Platinum Royal Ambassador we were upgraded to an IC Suite with Plunge Pool. If you’re an Ambassador Member, I highly recommend booking the Club level rooms because you can’t beat the experience. Rooms on the Club level seem to be larger than your standard rooms on the rest of the resort, but, you literally can’t go wrong with any room or location on the property. Some complained of the walk to the beach from the Club level. Frankly, we enjoyed it. It was 2-4 minutes max. Golf Carts were readily available free of charge 24 hours a day at your beck and call to take you wherever you wanted to go on the resort quickly and promptly. If beachfront or Poolside locations are extremely important by all means book those rooms, just keep in mind the views from atop can’t be beat and the level of service is unquestionably the best I have received at any Intercontinental Hotel without exception!

To the best of my knowledge, the resort does not openly promote the vendors on the beach that offer horseback riding, but, will arrange one for you, if you so choose. We opted to go out on our own and while walking on the beach were approached by many locals offering horseback riding on the beach. We were fortunate to have a good experience from an individual from the local village of Sanasana. It was a very inexpensive and good experience. Keep in mind sometimes those vendors have had a reputation for quoting one price prior to the journey and then performing an heartfelt sob story and appeal for more money while at the far point of the trip that you feel compelled to hand over the upwards of double the quoted amount. However, that was not our experience. We found an outstanding guide to be wealthy source of information and pride that reflected the true culture of Fiji.

Part of any vacation like this is to experience the local culture. We took a trip into Sigatoka and the local market was awesome. The hotel may provide a taxi into town and will wait for you up to two hours while you peruse the local markets, however, at a cost, which will be conveniently added to your hotel bill. We opted to choose the braver route and again rely upon one of the locals directly, We were driven into town and were guided through the many local shops and venues. Here in Sigatoka, you’ll find many souvenirs and trinkets that you’d find at the Resort, but, at substantial savings. But the "icing on the cake" was the local fruit and vegetable market which which is a must see experience. However you choose to get to Sigatoka, (through the hotel conceierge or on your own), go for it. There are few “Western Style” shops like Jacks and the name of the other shop(s) escapes me. Your best bets are the locally run and owned shops they offer better pricing.

As far as the Resort Restaurants you can’t go wrong. Navo is their signature restaurant and I understand why! We were told there was somewhat of a dress code, i.e. no opened toed sandals or tee-shirts, but, that rule didn’t appear to be enforced the night we dined there. The food was excellent, the service impeccable and the bill check slightly on the expensive side. If you’re looking for recommendations, try everything on the menu… but, the whole fresh lobster was huge and meaty and the pork belly just out of this world! Our only regret was that the portions were huge making it hard moving from the dinner table. The spectacular view didn’t hurt! Against our better judgment, we ordered dessert and the previously mentioned short walk back to the Club Level seemed like a marathon… so we opted for the cart. Navo is a MUST DO experience at least once during your stay. Again, it’s a little pricey but one of the few pricier options well worth the cost.

Sanasana is another great choice for meals. We opted for the themed buffet styling each trip to that restaurant. Each time we had Manny as our server and he was great! I think he is the Food and Beverage Supervisor and his level of service and attention to detail and was far better than any Maître d’ at any “high end” restaurant. He was funny, prompt, genuine and courteous. If you choose to venture to the Sanasana definitely seek him out. We went there the first time only to join friends we met there at the resort. But it was Manny who kept us coming back for more.

Kama lounge is great as well. We only had a few drinks there while watching the evening activities like the Kava Ceremony, the Polynesian Dance or the sunset torch lighting ceremony. Be careful ordering drinks there, they will be strong! Toba Grill was simply okay but it has very tough competition in comparison to the level of service and quality of food of The Navo and The Sanasana Restaurants or the Club Level Butlers and staff.

The IC Club offers breakfast if you’re a Club Guest, again, it’s a great choice. I can’t compliment the IC Club staff enough; I know I will be missing some names so I am hesitant to mention them for the fear that I will forget someone. But, as I mentioned earlier Jane, from the time we checked in until our departure was a great Butler. We jokingly scolded her when she took the weekend off, we didn’t know what to do without her greetings in the mornings, but, The IC Club TEAM did not miss a beat during her absence. Eroni also was a great Butler who always ensured we were taken care of. Ika is the Chief Butler and he seemingly always appeared out of nowhere ensuring that we were having a good time. Now Jane was there only during until 3pm but there is a Butler during the evenings that redefines service with a smile. Vickie. Vickie is truly a “go to person” and “well connected” when you want information, suggestions or recommendations about what to do and where to go. He and a gentleman named Sam, which I believe was the special events concierge, arranged a private village tour of Sanusana for us since we were not staying at the resort on the day it is regularly scheduled. It was only $15FJD per person, but, it was truly a remarkably experience since it was the least expensive venue that we took part in. It is also noteworthy that the entire cost of the Sanusana Village tour is turned over to the village. I thought that was a remarkable gesture on the InterContinental’s behalf. In addition, I would suggest making a small donation to the people of the Sanasana village directly. Also, the Navo Island/Cave tour is also a must do experience. This island is only accessible during low tide since you’ll trek briefly through a shallow stretch of water to reach the uninhabited Island. During high tide the tour is available but you’ll need a boat to reach the island.

All in all, a very long snapshot and more of a thank you than a review. Couldn’t imagine a successful stay without the help of the ENTIRE INTERCONTINENTAL CLUB STAFF! They were neither intrusive nor distant. They were truly genuine and remarkably professional. It’s rare to see a group of individuals of such caliber and high standards all in one place. I’m back home now, no butlers, no plunge pool, no magnificent sunsets, no Fiji time, no evening canapés or specialty drinks created by Vickie or Jordan... looking at my suitcases planning the next trip to the Intercontinental Fiji Golf and Resort… Club Level of course!
Vinaka Vakalevu

Room Tip: Club Rooms are Great, Ambassador Memberships is a must for the automatic upgrades. Choose any room i...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank JBCrocker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (858)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
sydney
Reviewed March 23, 2012

Spent the day at the Intercontinental. This is truly a magnificent hotel. Very welcoming, accepted us as visitors for the day to enjoy their facilities. The infinity pool was magnificent. Felt pretty special sprawled out in a deck chair. Natadola Beach right in front of the hotel is just lovely. Service good at the pool bar and restaurant. Had to return the next day as I left my beach towel around the pool. I rang and they put it away for me until I returned. Whilst we were having a drink a waitress commented that she was glad I got my towel back!!!

I've read the negative comments, and it worries me if I choose to stay in this fabulous hotel as it is so expensive. I personally only experienced positives, but then we only visited for the day, paid our bar and restaurant tab and left. I might add on the second day we both had a "Bloody Mary" and it was a shocker. We couldn't drink it so of course they deducted it off our bill. A negative turned into a positive.

I have booked to return to Fiji in June with family and not sure here to stay!!!!!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank relle4
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Aside from the fantastic hotel facilities this resort has to offer (kids pool, adults pool, restaurants, beach, kids club and all round great service), this resort offers lots of watersports and in particular, a FREE "learn to scuba dive" plus an inexpensive Introductory reef dive with absolutely AWESOME instructors. Delaney helped me get over my longstanding fear of this sport and I can now enjoy a new and special activity with my die-hard diver husband - thanks Delaney!!

Room Tip: 1911 - Lagoon View Room and perfect if you have young children!
3 Thank Amy G
General_Manager_Fiji, General Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, March 27, 2012
Bula vinaka Amy,

Thank you for your short but sweet review of our resort . We are so pleased you got to conquer one of your fears here at Natadola Bay! We’ve passed your great feedback on to Delaney and the team at Reef Safari.

We appreciate your great comments and would love to welcome you all back to our sunny shores some day. Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever decide to return and I will be sure to have our reservations team look after your enquiries or booking needs.

Canberra, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2012

Do not stay anywhere else! I was wanting a holiday where I could relax and do nothing. There was no place more perfect to do this than the Intercontinental, Fiji.

Room Tip: I don't think there is a bad room. We had a garden view room which overlooked the family pool. N...
Bula vinaka!

We enjoyed your concise review of our resort and look forward to welcoming you back for more relaxation Vanessa.

Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever return and I will ensure your queries are taken care of by the great reservations team.

Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We stayed at the Intercontinental Fiji in March 2011and absolutely loved it! Everything is first class and pristine, with views you expect on a postcard. The people are lovely and we had a great time with the pool boy Kali, who looked after us all week with cocktails and telling us all we needed to know, where to go etc. The rooms are amazing, ours opened up to a garden view of the kids pool.
The restaurants are all great. Sanasana is a great buffet, the bar next to the pool has really good meals and great because you can get chips and stuff to have by the pool. There is also a steak and seafood restaraunt which my fiance says had the best steak he's ever tasted.
The resort also put on a lot of entertainment such us traditional dancing etc, and also had a cocktail bar that had a great band on the weekends.
The staff also helped us out by bringing out a birthday cake for our friend and about 12 of them sang happy birthday to him. Also on our last night the staff at the other restaurant sang us a traditional farewell song.
My fiance played on the golf course and said it was incredible.
We took a couple of day trips, one to Nadi to shop and go to McDonalds, and another to Sigatoka (a smaller town) for more shopping.
I would highly recommend this to anyone interested, it was a little more expensive but well worth every cent.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Bula vinaka Kylie!

We enjoyed reading your review and are delighted to share your lovely comments with Kali and the rest of the team here at the resort. Natadola Bay is pristine and we’re happy to hear you enjoyed our famous views, your Garden View room and the dining options available here. Your fiancé must have enjoyed the steak at our award-winning restaurant, Navo restaurant.

Our entertainment is designed to give our guests experiences with the local culture and we are very pleased to read you enjoyed the Meke show at Kama Lounge.

We appreciate you taking time to write us a review and thank you for your high recommendations. We look forward to welcoming you both back to our Natadola Bay shores Kylie! Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com when you decide on dates and I will have our great reservations team look after your booking needs.

Sydney
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is truly a beautiful resort located on the main island. The beach itself is really quite lovely with snorkelling and diving only a stones throw away. The activities centre is great - very organised and a range of trips every day. The gym is very good for a resort gym - and is actually quite a nice retreat from the heat.
The resort feels new and modern and the rooms very well appointed! They even have a spa tub on the balcony! Pure luxury!
There are two pools - one for adults (an infinity pool overlooking the beach) and the other a kid-friendly pool with a shallow end and water 'fountains'.
Sitting by the pool and relaxing with a cocktail or bite to eat is very indulgent and utterly enjoyable. The reviews speak for themselves - and I can only support this notion!
Enjoy!

1 Thank LouLouLouSyd
Bula vinaka ‘LexyLouSydney’,

Thank you for taking time to write us such a great review. We were pleased to read you enjoyed your stay at our resort. All our rooms feature the signature Cleopatra bath and we hope you took time to enjoy a bath ritual at sunset.

We’ve received a lot of great feedback on the snorkeling and diving in Natadola Bay of late and are happy to add your review to that list.

We hope to welcome you back for more relaxing cocktails by the pool! Please e-mail me at scott.williams@ihg.com if you ever return and I will be sure to have your enquiries and booking needs taken care of by our great team at reservations.

Australia
Reviewed March 19, 2012

As expatriate residents of Fiji we regularly chose the Intercontinental Fiji for our weekends away. The hotel is first class, the service is exceptional and the location is one of the most spectacular we have experienced in Fiji.

So when we got engaged and started looking at venues - nothing compared to our favorite weekend haunt. We booked the venue 8 months before the ‘big day’ and got straight in to planning. During the planning stages we experienced 4 different wedding planners, and although notes on our booking were handed over it was still quite frustrating not having continuity in this area. That said, Louise Acreman the wedding planner who executed our event was very helpful.

Unfortunatley problems occurred at the reception, held the Intercontinental's 'a la carte' restaurant - 'Navo'. Instead of utilising one the function rooms on property - we exclusively hired Navo for the evening to celebrate with our guests.

The issue we experienced - was theft of items from the gift registry table at the reception. As you would expect - we did not take stock of all the items on the actual wedding night - but by day two after the ceremony - it became obvious to us that items had gone missing. (including a diamond eternity ring)

Once discovered (still staying on property) we immediately met with hotel security and repeatedly visited the concierge to report all details. However we were given only scant information in return - only the insistence that an investigation would take place. Then after weeks of to-and-fro, the hotel told us to contact ‘tourist’ police ourselves directly, however this lead to a dead-end - as they closed the case citing inconclusive evidence, and the now several weeks since the incident.

We requested on several occasions to see the incident report sent to the police by the hotel, in order to be assured that the internal investigations were in fact undertaken. However the only document ever produced was a very basic, fact-less report.

All we were offered were insinuations of guilt implicating an additional external wedding coordinator we contracted for the event, who we were forced to use on account of the revolving door planners at the hotel itself.

In the end - after 9 months of repeatedly pressing the hotel on the matter, the hotel's insurance company directly contacted us and clinically stated there was a clause in our wedding contract that 'protected the hotel from liability of any thefts during the event'!

And they were right...there it was in black & white...

In hindsight - our biggest mistake was assuming that a 5-star hotel, which charges SIGNIFICANTLY more than most other Fijian wedding options would adeqautely safeguard our special occassion from the vagaries of petty theft. (in an 100% exclusively hired venue)

The other mistake was assuming we would be given an appropriate level of respect given the sensitvity of the matter (wedding theft!) from hotel management. A few emails aside, 1 phone call in nine months is all we ever received.

If you are thinking of the Intercontinental Fiji for a destination wedding - make sure you insist on additional security...and maybe look more closely as to the liability of the hotel for any of your losses.

Unfortunatley- I think this establishment just assumes that your own personal travel insurance will replace any/all of your sentimental items that could potentially go missing... rather than dealing with the root cause of the issue.

Think more on that final point...

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
21 Thank ookt
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 16, 2012
ookt,

Ben J
IHG Care
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sigatoka
Hilton Fiji Beach Resort & Spa
Fiji Marriott Resort Momi Bay
Outrigger Fiji Beach Resort
Radisson Blu Resort Fiji Denarau Island
Shangri-La's Fijian Resort & Spa

Been to InterContinental Fiji Golf Resort & Spa? Share your experiences!